All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

It was nice of him to get those kids out of the cave and send all those ventilators...

We'll see if the starlink receiving equipment gets into Ukraine and helps. Will certainly be a nice thing of him to do if it does. In the meantime actual brave Ukrainians are busy and amazingly keeping cell phone and high speed internet access working in tons of areas in the middle of an invasion.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:11 pm Elon Musk is a bad ass.....can't believe why Joe Rogan would have him on and waste everyone time learning about a man advancing all progressive ideas: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/149 ... ZCS-29KCvg

Rogan and Musk apparently aren’t well liked by American libs. Go figure.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Only took Putin knocking on the doorstep with weapons…hid behind the “we have to make up for World War Two” in order to abrogate all leadership for far too long.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:19 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 am Yeah, the finger pointing is a distraction to keep us divided. Basically saying Ukraine shouldn't have been wearing a sexy dress if it didn't wanna be raped.

Fortunately a number of right wing pundits and politicians are starting to put out statements no longer supporting Putin and Russia and calling for an end to the invasion. It was amazing how pro-Russia and anti-Ukraine many (Republicans) were and still are. I guess with millions of dollars from Russia going to Republicans, it's sadly no surprise. Makes you wonder if the financial sanctions are making politicians think twice since one of their money spigots is being turned off. Alleged bank runs are starting in Russia as well.

This invasion is going very, very differently than Putin had thought and hoped. Hoping that trend continues as the US and many other countries keep sending money and military equipment in.

Pot meets kettle in the same post. Amazing. :lol: :lol:
Let me be clear, the backwards looking woulda, coulda, shoulda, from a partisan perspective, is what I think is entirely unhelpful in this moment of actual crisis.

Addressing the divisions today is entirely appropriate. When partisan political folks and politicians purposely divide, it's unhelpful. And that should be confronted.

And yeah, the Trump/Carlson pro-Putin effect is big problem coming from the hard right. Pompeo and Stefanik being prime examples.

And it's indeed reasonable to ask what their motivations really are. Is it simply a partisan way to oppose the current POTUS? Is it an actual affinity for Putin's strong man rules of the road? Is it monetary? All three?

Fair questions. None of those answers are ok.

But the backward looking blame game, "boo Biden, boo Trump (as POTUS), boo Obama, boo Bush"...all of that is unhelpful with addressing the crisis we are in now, and which will potentially get much worse.

And Petey, you're part of the problem with all the partisan BS.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:11 pm Only took Putin knocking on the doorstep with weapons…hid behind the “we have to make up for World War Two” in order to abrogate all leadership for far too long.
Gotta remember that we didn't want the Germans leading anything.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:28 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:11 pm Only took Putin knocking on the doorstep with weapons…hid behind the “we have to make up for World War Two” in order to abrogate all leadership for far too long.
They’ve been calling the shots for europe for a while in many ways. We let them run that if unofficially so in actual practice I don’t think that position aligns much. More of a talking point. Their reliance on Russian Nat gas being by far the largest economy in the euro zone. This is an area where we’ve provided too much for too long without asking for enough from them in return. They should either be stepping up or deferring entirely to us completely.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:26 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 am Yeah, the finger pointing is a distraction to keep us divided. Basically saying Ukraine shouldn't have been wearing a sexy dress if it didn't wanna be raped.

Fortunately a number of right wing pundits and politicians are starting to put out statements no longer supporting Putin and Russia and calling for an end to the invasion. It was amazing how pro-Russia and anti-Ukraine many (Republicans) were and still are. I guess with millions of dollars from Russia going to Republicans, it's sadly no surprise. Makes you wonder if the financial sanctions are making politicians think twice since one of their money spigots is being turned off. Alleged bank runs are starting in Russia as well.

This invasion is going very, very differently than Putin had thought and hoped. Hoping that trend continues as the US and many other countries keep sending money and military equipment in.

Let me be clear, the backwards looking woulda, coulda, shoulda, from a partisan perspective, is what I think is entirely unhelpful in this moment of actual crisis.

Addressing the divisions today is entirely appropriate. When partisan political folks and politicians purposely divide, it's unhelpful. And that should be confronted.

And yeah, the Trump/Carlson pro-Putin effect is big problem coming from the hard right. Pompeo and Stefanik being prime examples.

And it's indeed reasonable to ask what their motivations really are. Is it simply a partisan way to oppose the current POTUS? Is it an actual affinity for Putin's strong man rules of the road? Is it monetary? All three?

But the backward looking blame game, "boo Biden, boo Trump (as POTUS), boo Obama, boo Bush"...all of that is unhelpful with addressing the crisis we are in now, and which will potentially get much worse.

I still think this is well worth the 2 min watch even if I’m the past.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQtNgHUzQs
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Ukrainians have regained full control of Kharkiv. This is the biggest city that is dominated by ethnic Russians. Putin was counting on these folks to welcome him. :lol: :lol: Not so much I guess.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

And I think, others concur, that you simply don’t like ‘inconvenient’ facts.

Hers are some more of those.

The lobbyist for Nordstream 2, arguably a major factor in the entire issue here, is not simply a Democrat, but a former advisor to Joe Biden. He’s cleared $9 million just for himself in four years. How does that land?

Second, the ‘Ukraine’ situation is far more complex than giddy, emotional Democrats typing on the Internet are aware. Google ‘Azov Battalion’ and try to understand just that one factor at play as folks attempt to make sense of this bizarre spectacle. I assure you, if you’re honest, knowing about the Azov Battalion should make you rethink your entire thesis about Ukraine and Russia, perhaps even temper your enthusiasm for thinking you understand it all when we barely understand a thing.

Let me help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:28 pm
They’ve been calling the shots for europe for a while in many ways. We let them run that if unofficially so in actual practice I don’t think that position aligns much. More of a talking point. Their reliance on Russian Nat gas being by far the largest economy in the euro zone. This is an area where we’ve provided too much for too long without asking for enough from them in return. They should either be stepping up or deferring entirely to us completely.
Fair argument about their posture towards engagement with Russia versus against Russia. Lots of reasons to think "we" NATO, US, Germany should have played these cards differently at various points...given realities of this moment.

Also perfectly reasonable to expect them to think considerably differently going forward.

My point is simply that the US has for 7 decades insisted that Germany not be the leader of NATO and not be militaristically inclined. However, their economic success has made them increasingly influential, while not actually in 'leadership'. They have had a very different perspective given both their proximity and their belief that cooperative economic integration was far better than military saber rattling.

It's good to see them now so seriously willing to take steps to constrain Russia. I would expect more going forward.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:44 pm

The lobbyist for Nordstream 2, arguably a major factor in the entire issue here, is not simply a Democrat, but a former advisor to Joe Biden. He’s cleared $9 million just for himself in four years. How does that land?

Second, the ‘Ukraine’ situation is far more complex than giddy, emotional Democrats typing on the Internet are aware. Google ‘Azov Battalion’ and try to understand just that one factor at play as folks attempt to make sense of this bizarre spectacle. I assure you, if you’re honest, knowing about the Azov Battalion should make you rethink your entire thesis about Ukraine and Russia.

Let me help:

And that's exactly the kind of garbage that I see as entirely unhelpful. I simply don't give a damn what "party" someone is/was when they made various decisions in their own perceived interest.

Cut it out.

And what are you suggesting re Azov , which both GOP and Dems have condemned roundly? Putin is right, Ukraine is run by Neo-Nazis???

They were part of the reluctance to arm Ukraine with lethal weapons. They needed to be removed before Ukraine could earn full support. And they were. They've since been integrated into the armed forces, but most extremis of them excised. They were never a majority of Ukraine's fighting forces, but they were indeed a serious problem that needed to be marginalized.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Re: Ukraine is Putting Up One Heck of a Fight

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:39 am
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:52 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:29 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:15 pm Do you know what will happen to Kiev if Zellinsky & his govt & military forces don't relocate to the west of the country & declare Kyiv an open city?
How about you spell the man's name correctly. He has earned much more than that.
I'm workin' on it, ... sticky [L] key. I got it right most of the time, like in the following sentence (which you did not quote).
Do you think it should have 2 Y's ? I've seen it that way on FNC.
Most of the time the second Y is dropped. But not 2 Ls and it's an e not an I. You keep misspelling it, though it varies how you do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volodymyr_Zelenskyy
other than the stuck key 2nd L, how do I misspell it ? Several news sources used just 1 L.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:53 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:15 pm Do you know what will happen to Kiev if Zellinsky & his govt & military forces don't relocate to the west of the country & declare Kyiv an open city?
How about you spell the man's name correctly. He has earned much more than that.
I'm workin' on it, ... sticky [L] key. I got it right most of the time, like in the following sentence (which you did not quote).
Most of the time the second Y is dropped. But not 2 Ls and it's an e not an I. You keep misspelling it, though it varies how you do so.

other than the stuck key 2nd L, how do I misspell it ? Several news sources used just 1 L.
E not I.

Zelensky. Or with a second y.

I'm not accusing you of doing it on purpose.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Second, the ‘Ukraine’ situation is far more complex than giddy, emotional Democrats typing on the Internet are aware. Google ‘Azov Battalion’ and try to understand just that one factor at play as folks attempt to make sense of this bizarre spectacle. I assure you, if you’re honest, knowing about the Azov Battalion should make you rethink your entire thesis about Ukraine and Russia.

Let me help:

And that's exactly the kind of garbage that I see as entirely unhelpful. I simply don't give a damn what "party" someone is/was when they made various decisions in their own perceived interest.

Cut it out.

And what are you suggesting re Azov , which both GOP and Dems have condemned roundly? Putin is right, Ukraine is run by Neo-Nazis???

They were part of the reluctance to arm Ukraine with lethal weapons. They needed to be removed before Ukraine could earn full support. And they were. They were never a majority of Ukraine's fighting forces, but they were indeed a serious problem that needed to be marginalized.
... MD, I don't think he has the Nordstream 2 story correct. He is spinning. I haven't had the time or interest in tracking down the reality.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Let me help:

Cut it out.

They were part of the reluctance to arm Ukraine with lethal weapons. They needed to be removed before Ukraine could earn full support. And they were. They were never a majority of Ukraine's fighting forces, but they were indeed a serious problem that needed to be marginalized.
... MD, I don't think he has the Nordstream 2 story correct. He is spinning. I haven't had the time or interest in tracking down the reality.
Nor I. It's irrelevant.

But you're right, given his track record on accuracy and truthfulness...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let me help:

Cut it out.

The left spent four years trying to paint Trump and his family as paid agents of Russia, but today it’s out of bounds to point out that one of Biden’s advisors and donors was Nordstream 2’s lobbyist in DC?!?

https://www.axios.com/nord-stream-2-lob ... 69f27.html

Also, Azov has not been ‘removed’. They are active today, and are an arm of the Ukrainian military. The mention of them is to temper the American left’s sudden embrace of all things Ukraine…it’s a very complex part of the world not easily reduced to sound bites and simple thoughts.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:54 pm

E not I.

Roger that. No disrespect was intended. Aaron Zelinsky was stuck in my head from the Roger Stone case.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:54 pm

E not I.

Roger that. No disrespect was intended. Aaron Zelinsky was stuck in my head from the Roger Stone case.
👍

Return to “POLITICS”