Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:38 am Any chance you forgot to get all the kids on the bus back from Bethlehem? Specifically Piatelli, Irelan and Kirst?
FFG, Hopefully not as we will need everything we've got against your much improved Statesman, who I believe I had them ranked in my top 20 last week. Your team has great firepower and we will need Chayse to stand on his head Like he did yesterday against Lehigh.
Looking forward to watching a great game Tuesday night at the Kopf, between 2 great rivals.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:38 am Any chance you forgot to get all the kids on the bus back from Bethlehem? Specifically Piatelli, Irelan and Kirst?
Sorry. I watched them all board the bus, and the bus depart.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I knew those mechanics weren’t worth paying off!

Expect it to be competitive and, pending miserable weather, somewhat similar to the 2019 game, ie more of a track meet than your Lehigh game. We are young in a lot of places and missing one of our top scorers, Derrek Madonna, for a few more games but also appear to have good depth at attack and midfield anchored by some good 5th yrs we’ve been fortunate enough to keep around (not all inclusive, I think, but Ryan Archer, Tommy Mott, Dan Ryan, Frank Imburgia & Wylie Sherman). Should be a good battle at faceoff. Really impressed by the support of our wings against Lehigh. Biggest concern for me is getting punched in the mouth shortly after getting off the bus and playing from behind.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxnuthin

Post by Laxnuthin »

[quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=336411 time=1645973584 user_id=1206
Biggest concern for me is getting punched in the mouth shortly after getting off the bus and playing from behind.
[/quote]

Hey, that hardly ever happens!

Forecast light rain at 6:00, mid 30’s. Maybe some snow with temps dropping to low 30’s. Changes by the minute as I’m sure you know.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxnuthin wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:00 pm [quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=336411 time=1645973584 user_id=1206
Biggest concern for me is getting punched in the mouth shortly after getting off the bus and playing from behind.

Forecast light rain at 6:00, mid 30’s. Maybe some snow with temps dropping to low 30’s. Changes by the minute as I’m sure you know.
[/quote]

Ah yes... lacrosse, the spring sport. The annual Hobart v Cornell match is always one where records and prognostications don't matter. A battle no matter the score. The 1978 game is still the only regular season game to get a full write-up in Sports Illustrated. It is still "the game of the year" for me.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:19 pm
Laxnuthin wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:00 pm [quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=336411 time=1645973584 user_id=1206

Ah yes... lacrosse, the spring sport. The annual Hobart v Cornell match is always one where records and prognostications don't matter. A battle no matter the score. The 1978 game is still the only regular season game to get a full write-up in Sports Illustrated. It is still "the game of the year" for me.
[/quote]

As a Cornellion, my all-time greatest game was my junior year, 1977, and we were on like a 30 game winning streak, and JHU , came to the Kopf , and punched us in the mouth leading 6-1 at halftime. We were stunned as we were used to s
Clobbering people. Well Richie must have used some choice words at halftime, and Macaneany and the boys rallied to an 8-7 win. An epic game for the ages.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

A few additional thoughts on yesterday's game.

-In 2020, the 2nd middie line of Licciardi, Lombardi, and Coyle basically split PT with the 1st line. Close to dead even minutes. They were very productive, at times more so than the first line. In the first two games this year, the 1st line is getting a bit more PT and the the 2nd line seems less productive. Yesterday, Wolf who plays one-handed, seemed to be doing a disproportionate amount of carrying, especially in traffic (dangerous for a one-handed guy). I'd like to see the ball in Coyle's hands more of the time. And certainly for Lombardi to get more looks; he has a very deceptive shot for a goalie - he generates a tremendous amount of whip on his shot. If Long doesn't play on Tuesday and beyond, I'd definitely like to see Coyle and Lombardi invert more. Lombardi was a devastating x dodger in HS at Salisbury.
-Piatelli forced things a bit vs UA and again yesterday. He remains the go to guy, but I'm sure his game misses Long. And everyone now has to deal with defensive attention that was previously focused on Teat.
-As posted yesterday, the defense had an excellent day. And Ierlan was lights out. There were, however, several instances...especially in the first half where the 6 defenders were not connected - Lehigh had several excellent looks from good shooting locations that missed the cage wide. A few looked like they definitely had Ierlan beat. It was not a good shooting half for Lehigh.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:33 pm

As a Cornellion, my all-time greatest game was my junior year, 1977, and we were on like a 30 game winning streak, and JHU , came to the Kopf , and punched us in the mouth leading 6-1 at halftime. We were stunned as we were used to s
Clobbering people. Well Richie must have used some choice words at halftime, and Macaneany and the boys rallied to an 8-7 win. An epic game for the ages.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
[/quote]

We were undefeated that year….never knew/understood why there was no Hobart/Cornell game in ‘77?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
[/quote]

That final score was 12-11 in favor of the Big Red. I remember once hearing from a JHU supporter who criticized the 42 game winning streak, proclaiming that the Big Red hadn't played anyone. I never heard from them again once I pointed out that the Big Red beat JHU 5 times during the streak!
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

1977 CU-JHU final score was 12-11.
Hobart game was snowed out and never rescheduled for different reasons depending on who you talk to, which made the '78 game that much more intense.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:59 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
That final score was 12-11 in favor of the Big Red. I remember once hearing from a JHU supporter who criticized the 42 game winning streak, proclaiming that the Big Red hadn't played anyone. I never heard from them again once I pointed out that the Big Red beat JHU 5 times during the streak!
[/quote]

I played against that '77 team and I'm not surprised that Moran turned the ship at half time.

We managed to throw them off their game on our home turf in Hanover by putting the defensive back on our football team, our fast as lightning but otherwise 3rd string midfielder in a face guard situation with Eamon. We knew Eamon could run circles around any of our big lumbering defensemen.

They apparently hated each other having played 4 years against each other in football. Our guy, B Taylor, was black, and as we came together at midline to shake hands the two of them started cursing each other, epithets and spittle flying...neither of them had all their teeth...dropped gloves...both out for 4 minute penalties. In the box they kept cursing each other and when the penalty was up, they erupted again, benches clearing...out another 4 mins...at the end of the 1st Q we were tied.

I saw Ritchie taking Eamon down the sideline, arm over Eamon's shoulder, Eamon arguing (I'm sure you can picture the scene)...I could only imagine what Ritchie was saying...something to the effect of "stop it, go score some goals'...and he did. they lit us up the rest of the way.

We did manage to upset them in '79, first Ivy team to beat Cornell in years.

Moran was a terrific coach, IMO. Always very kind to me over the years as well. Gracious.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:59 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
[/quote]
Whoops, sorry, for some reason I thought the final score was 8-7. My fraternity brought a keg to the Kopf that day as it was about 75 degrees and We were having a big party. Needless to say, it was pretty somber at halftime, but we were going wild in the 2nd half , and had no problem emptying the keg as half of Schoelkopf lined up to get a beer from us. Great memories.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

Could that have been FIJI?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

wrapcheque wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:50 pm Could that have been FIJI?
TKE, Fiji was big time back then and I was a nobody, so I couldn't get in. Their parties, though that they had were epic.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Hawks Coach Cassese had praise for his team defense in their loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xt1rGau9k
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hanging my hat for our game that we put 14 on them while going 50% on FOs and have a lot of young guys who should improve game to game.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:08 pm A few additional thoughts on yesterday's game.

-In 2020, the 2nd middie line of Licciardi, Lombardi, and Coyle basically split PT with the 1st line. Close to dead even minutes. They were very productive, at times more so than the first line. In the first two games this year, the 1st line is getting a bit more PT and the the 2nd line seems less productive. Yesterday, Wolf who plays one-handed, seemed to be doing a disproportionate amount of carrying, especially in traffic (dangerous for a one-handed guy). I'd like to see the ball in Coyle's hands more of the time. And certainly for Lombardi to get more looks; he has a very deceptive shot for a goalie - he generates a tremendous amount of whip on his shot. If Long doesn't play on Tuesday and beyond, I'd definitely like to see Coyle and Lombardi invert more. Lombardi was a devastating x dodger in HS at Salisbury.
-Piatelli forced things a bit vs UA and again yesterday. He remains the go to guy, but I'm sure his game misses Long. And everyone now has to deal with defensive attention that was previously focused on Teat.
-As posted yesterday, the defense had an excellent day. And Ierlan was lights out. There were, however, several instances...especially in the first half where the 6 defenders were not connected - Lehigh had several excellent looks from good shooting locations that missed the cage wide. A few looked like they definitely had Ierlan beat. It was not a good shooting half for Lehigh.
Good observations VRR. I wanted to add a few of my own (or maybe just amplify your good points):

* After watching the game online again, I am a generally a little disheartened that Cornell could not put away an undermanned Lehigh team much earlier in the game. Bad possessions, bad shooting and some bad decision making were contributors in my view.
* Chayse Ierlan was by far the MVP of the game. Bailed out his team frankly. Without his stellar performance there is a chance Cornell does not come out of there with a win. Hard to imagine. Additionally, some strong work from Petrakis in the second half was another big factor.
* Our defense was just good - not great. Lehigh essentially had only two dodgers of concern - 22 and 10. As a result, Cornell was able to press out all day on defense and overplay many of their weaker players. This works against weaker offenses and worked yesterday - but beware the Statesmen, Buckeyes and the entire Ivy League, among the rest on our schedule. We get so stretched out sometimes and end up with 2-3 players bunched up in one area. The other disappointing trend with the defense is that we seem to regularly give up an inordinate number of good looks to other teams in the last 10-15 seconds of the shot clock - in other words, great work for 45-50 seconds and then we get stretched out or are out of position at the end and opponents then get a great look. I am at a loss for why. Again, thank God for a great goalie.
* Cornell shot very poorly I thought in general. I felt 41 was forcing things all day. He is obviously our smartest and generally best player. But yesterday was a rough day. Our big middie 27 had a highlight alley dodge goal. Very impressive. But then followed it up on the very next possession with a bad turnover. Killed any momentum we might have built. He is obviously a very good player but I thought he shot poorly yesterday. My one tip: On step downs he is much more successful shooting overhand high to low and/or off hip. The sidearm cranks are much less effective for him. He is going to get so many opportunities and just needs to become a little better of a shooter. Its amazing how the best step down shooters are still the most fundamentally sound. We also hit 2-3 pipes on great looks - but those things will happen in nearly all games.
* Aws VRR noted, the play with about 1 minute left in the first half was mind numbing. Cornell clears and essentially can run the clock way down and look for a quality shot. Instead, #6 takes it to X and makes a poor decision to dodge. Off balance and falls backwards into a double team. Luckily, Cornell was bailed out by a cross check call. A fortunate break. But why is that player (who is not a strong dodger) trying to dodge from an unfamiliar position when the offense should be killing at least 30 more seconds off the clock? And then we commit a penalty in the same man up? A brutal reversal of fortune. We got away with those types of plays yesterday - but we won't down the road against high quality opponents.
* The offense really missed Mike Long. It just felt like the flow was off all day. 31 did an admirable job with a couple of nice assists - but he played very far behind the goal and was not a threat to shoot at any time. Good defensive coaching will easily pick up on that and exploit it. The X attackman has to be a threat to turn the corner at all times and being close to the crease makes that type of play possible. Keeps the defense honest and opens up the key passing lanes.
* On a smaller side note - our wing play has to be better when we face a top fogo. 17 made a couple of nice plays, but that was really it. We have the athletes to do better. Crash in from the wings and go get the ball - or at least try like crazy.

Obviously, a "bad" win is still better than a good loss. We take it and move on. This is D1 lacrosse and LEH is still a quality opponent. But this team can be much better. I remain very positive about this team's ceiling and look forward to Tuesday. LGR!

VF
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:08 pm A few additional thoughts on yesterday's game.

Good observations VRR. I wanted to add a few of my own (or maybe just amplify your good points):

* After watching the game online again, I am a generally a little disheartened that Cornell could not put away an undermanned Lehigh team much earlier in the game. Bad possessions, bad shooting and some bad decision making were contributors in my view.
* Chayse Ierlan was by far the MVP of the game. Bailed out his team frankly. Without his stellar performance there is a chance Cornell does not come out of there with a win. Hard to imagine. Additionally, some strong work from Petrakis in the second half was another big factor.
* Our defense was just good - not great. Lehigh essentially had only two dodgers of concern - 22 and 10. As a result, Cornell was able to press out all day on defense and overplay many of their weaker players. This works against weaker offenses and worked yesterday - but beware the Statesmen, Buckeyes and the entire Ivy League, among the rest on our schedule. We get so stretched out sometimes and end up with 2-3 players bunched up in one area. The other disappointing trend with the defense is that we seem to regularly give up an inordinate number of good looks to other teams in the last 10-15 seconds of the shot clock - in other words, great work for 45-50 seconds and then we get stretched out or are out of position at the end and opponents then get a great look. I am at a loss for why. Again, thank God for a great goalie.
* Cornell shot very poorly I thought in general. I felt 41 was forcing things all day. He is obviously our smartest and generally best player. But yesterday was a rough day. Our big middie 27 had a highlight alley dodge goal. Very impressive. But then followed it up on the very next possession with a bad turnover. Killed any momentum we might have built. He is obviously a very good player but I thought he shot poorly yesterday. My one tip: On step downs he is much more successful shooting overhand high to low and/or off hip. The sidearm cranks are much less effective for him. He is going to get so many opportunities and just needs to become a little better of a shooter. Its amazing how the best step down shooters are still the most fundamentally sound. We also hit 2-3 pipes on great looks - but those things will happen in nearly all games.
* Aws VRR noted, the play with about 1 minute left in the first half was mind numbing. Cornell clears and essentially can run the clock way down and look for a quality shot. Instead, #6 takes it to X and makes a poor decision to dodge. Off balance and falls backwards into a double team. Luckily, Cornell was bailed out by a cross check call. A fortunate break. But why is that player (who is not a strong dodger) trying to dodge from an unfamiliar position when the offense should be killing at least 30 more seconds off the clock? And then we commit a penalty in the same man up? A brutal reversal of fortune. We got away with those types of plays yesterday - but we won't down the road against high quality opponents.
* The offense really missed Mike Long. It just felt like the flow was off all day. 31 did an admirable job with a couple of nice assists - but he played very far behind the goal and was not a threat to shoot at any time. Good defensive coaching will easily pick up on that and exploit it. The X attackman has to be a threat to turn the corner at all times and being close to the crease makes that type of play possible. Keeps the defense honest and opens up the key passing lanes.
* On a smaller side note - our wing play has to be better when we face a top fogo. 17 made a couple of nice plays, but that was really it. We have the athletes to do better. Crash in from the wings and go get the ball - or at least try like crazy.

Obviously, a "bad" win is still better than a good loss. We take it and move on. This is D1 lacrosse and LEH is still a quality opponent. But this team can be much better. I remain very positive about this team's ceiling and look forward to Tuesday. LGR!

VF
I also thought Cornell's offense looked out of sync in this game. I know it's been two years, but they were not moving the ball well and getting the easy shots /great looks we grew used to in 18-19-20. They got those shots vs Albany, but not on Saturday. They also were not dodging to create opportunities. And when they did manage a good look, the shot was off target or was right at the goalie's stick. I think they had trouble when Lehigh played some zone as well, which was an issue pre-Covid. I hope it was a combination of Long being out, early season/long layoff rust, and the weather.

I too find it mystifying and troubling that Cornell gives up so many goals as the shot clock is expiring. I know it is hard to see the clock while playing, but there has to some communication so the players know to, at worst, force a bad and difficult shot as the clock approaches 0.

On the bright side, Ierlan was locked in in the second half as was Petrakis. Those two players were the key to the game. If Petrakis can have the edge against the nation's top FoGo like that, he should hold his own vs some of the FoGo stars and dominate everyone else.

I thought the defense played well, but was helped by Lehigh's willingness to slow the game down and use up the shot clock.

Overall, it was a very strange game. Cornell should have built a 5-6 goal lead in the 3rd quarter. When Lehigh cut it to 6-5, I was very nervous, but the boys turned it up a notch from that point on.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, VF and Chousnake for your analyses! My hope (if we look at some of the other teams around the country) is that Cornell is just finding its game rhythm. Also, in following Cornell/ Lafayette games in the past, and watching the Patriot League last year, it seems that the Mountain Hawk's home field characteristics really, and unusually, favor the home team. I agree for the Hobart and OSU games that the Big Red need to ramp-up quickly.

Until reading your somber writings (which, no doubt, are correct), I was going to add to the frivolity by asking if anyone of the posters recalling the Springs of the mid-late 70's recall the FIJI House members painting themselves purple in support of a FIJI attackman on the team. That story can wait.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm
Velvet.Fog wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm

VF
I also thought Cornell's offense looked out of sync in this game. I know it's been two years, but they were not moving the ball well and getting the easy shots /great looks we grew used to in 18-19-20. They got those shots vs Albany, but not on Saturday. They also were not dodging to create opportunities. And when they did manage a good look, the shot was off target or was right at the goalie's stick. I think they had trouble when Lehigh played some zone as well, which was an issue pre-Covid. I hope it was a combination of Long being out, early season/long layoff rust, and the weather.

I too find it mystifying and troubling that Cornell gives up so many goals as the shot clock is expiring. I know it is hard to see the clock while playing, but there has to some communication so the players know to, at worst, force a bad and difficult shot as the clock approaches 0.

On the bright side, Ierlan was locked in in the second half as was Petrakis. Those two players were the key to the game. If Petrakis can have the edge against the nation's top FoGo like that, he should hold his own vs some of the FoGo stars and dominate everyone else.

I thought the defense played well, but was helped by Lehigh's willingness to slow the game down and use up the shot clock.

Overall, it was a very strange game. Cornell should have built a 5-6 goal lead in the 3rd quarter. When Lehigh cut it to 6-5, I was very nervous, but the boys turned it up a notch from that point on.
Lehigh got a goal on us as time expired in Q1 of our game also. (Our announcer seemed to think after the clock but it was called good)

Have to give them credit for being well coach’s s they’re just really thin at midfield and one of their top returning scorers hasn’t been playing that well (Mule) which leaves it mostly the Schelling show on offense and a solid, physical close D/goalie along w a good FOGO.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”