Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:38 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:25 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:10 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:08 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:59 pm Georgetown has had me scratching my head in this second half with their lack of usage of their timeouts. Twice a Georgetown player has come up with a gb looking dead to rights in a swarm of ND players on the sidelines and Warne has just sat by idly watching the triple team unfold.
Could not agree more. Was so clear to call a timeout on that last scrum when the game was still close.
Doesn’t GT need to cross into the box to call a timeout?

DocBarrister
Not sure. I thought it was just that you had to be in offensive end.
Yeah, it’s problematic across lacrosse “fans”. Look at that Brown thread, same…

Where you can call a timeout has been consistent since the implementation of the shot clock.

Usually you hear bickering from freshman parents who don’t know college rules
So what is the rule? I’ve never been clear on it, don’t think that puts my fan hood in quotes. lol. Is it offensive end or do you need to get it past restraining line?
The rule:

During play, team timeouts may be called...only when the player in
possession of the ball has contact with the ground with at least one foot in
contact with the ground on or across the restraining line in the offensive end
of the field
random observer

Post by random observer »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:44 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:59 pm Georgetown has had me scratching my head in this second half with their lack of usage of their timeouts. Twice a Georgetown player has come up with a gb looking dead to rights in a swarm of ND players on the sidelines and Warne has just sat by idly watching the triple team unfold.
Could not agree more. Was so clear to call a timeout on that last scrum when the game was still close.

DocBarrister

Where you can call a timeout has been consistent since the implementation of the shot clock.

So what is the rule? I’ve never been clear on it, don’t think that puts my fan hood in quotes. lol. Is it offensive end or do you need to get it past restraining line?
The rule:

of the field
Hmm I'd thought it was offensive end but looks like I'm wrong. On that last play I was talking about the Hoya ball handler was indeed 4-5 yards short of where he needed to get to for them to call a timeout.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

random observer wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:46 pm
Jldlax wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:44 pm

DocBarrister

The rule:

of the field
Hmm I'd thought it was offensive end but looks like I'm wrong. On that last play I was talking about the Hoya ball handler was indeed 4-5 yards short of where he needed to get to for them to call a timeout.
Yep. Same play for me. Stand corrected. Much rather me be the idiot than the coaches. Actually have thought Warne has done a nice job calling timeouts in the right situations this year.

Nice win! Go Hoyas! Best resume in D1 lacrosse so far.
molo

Post by molo »

It’s a good rule because it makes it more difficult to call timeouts just to preserve possessions.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Says a ton about this team to weather that storm and pull away. That said you can’t bank on McElroy and Reilly playing at that level every game. Either way 3 very good opponents and 3 wins so tough to nitpick. Haley clearly not fully healthy. Think when he is will be a big boost to the offensive flow. Trap game Tuesday vs Mount. I am sure Warne will have them ready.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

McElroy and Reilly definitely won that game for the Hoyas. Saves and Faceoffs are the only two areas GT won on the day. Look at these stats:

Shots - ND 52, GT 38
Shots on Goal - ND 35, GT 25
Ground Balls - ND 37, GT 30
Turnovers - ND 9, GT 20
Clears - ND 19-21, GT 12-16

And then:

Saves - ND 9, GT 24
Faceoffs - ND 8, GT 21
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:00 pm Says a ton about this team to weather that storm and pull away. That said you can’t bank on McElroy and Reilly playing at that level every game. Either way 3 very good opponents and 3 wins so tough to nitpick. Haley clearly not fully healthy. Think when he is will be a big boost to the offensive flow. Trap game Tuesday vs Mount. I am sure Warne will have them ready.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Agree about relying on McElroy and Reilly every game. The thing is though that this season so far it’s been a different couple of guys that have stepped up each game. Add Declan McDemott and Connor Morin to that list for this game.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Connor Morin should've transferred sooner...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

That was an impressive win. Back to back wins at Penn and at ND, wow.

Didn’t see the game, but I saw a stat on Twitter that Georgetown scored 13 goals 6 on 6 vs the notre dame defense and was north of 40% offensive efficiency. That was the biggest shock to me of this game.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

A great win as GU goes 3-0 against top 20 teams. Penn and ND look like top 8 or better teams and to beat them on the road is impressive.

It looked like ND basically gave up on trying to beat the D from the attack, as most of its offense came from the midfield. Their middies are very good and experienced. Mazzone did a great job on Hallenback but the other middles were hard to handle. This should be a focus for GU going forward as other teams will try to attack from up top.

I agree with an earlier comment that the offense needs a fully healthy Haley as the flow is not there yet for four quarters.His assist on the EMO was a flash of what he can do with his passing. Once ND settled down the offense hit a lull, like the Penn game, and better flow can stop these runs by the opponents. Fortunately, ND wore itself out in the comeback and the two GU goals in the early fourth quarter seemed to deflate ND.

I also agree that GU cannot rely on all world performances by McElroy and Reilly long term. However, the upcoming schedule is not as tough as the first three games and the team can hopefully lengthen the rotation a bit to improve depth at midfield, and allow Haley to come back at full strength.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Agree about Haley. Whether he’s still injured or still figuring out how to best fit into this years group, they will benefit from better production out of that third attack spot. In the meantime, Trippi did a pretty great job yesterday playing the role of initiator and distributor. Will be interesting if they can develop a dual quarterback role going forward, one from X and one from up top/wing.
Last edited by rolldodge on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The resume season to date argues to be early #1 but I’d expect you to sit at 3 which may still be fair as MD and UVA have some fine wins if their own but thrashing Hop and then taking down two more top ten teams is as good as it gets early in the season. Maybe you don’t need a Carraway/Berge when you have this much depth.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 am The resume season to date argues to be early #1 but I’d expect you to sit at 3 which may still be fair as MD and UVA have some fine wins if their own but thrashing Hop and then taking down two more top ten teams is as good as it gets early in the season. Maybe you don’t need a Carraway/Berge when you have this much depth.
It’s nice to see the balance and teamwork of this offense. No one forces shots or tries to do too much, but you get the sense that they all have another gear they can kick into if need be.

Resume is definitely the best in D1 lacrosse right now. But most pollsters include other intangibles in their rankings so I suspect they won’t be at #1 just yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:46 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 am The resume season to date argues to be early #1 but I’d expect you to sit at 3 which may still be fair as MD and UVA have some fine wins if their own but thrashing Hop and then taking down two more top ten teams is as good as it gets early in the season. Maybe you don’t need a Carraway/Berge when you have this much depth.
It’s nice to see the balance and teamwork of this offense. No one forces shots or tries to do too much, but you get the sense that they all have another gear they can kick into if need be.

Resume is definitely the best in D1 lacrosse right now. But most pollsters include other intangibles in their rankings so I suspect they won’t be at #1 just yet.
I expect them to sit at 3 until one or both of the others fall. But terrific start.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

3 works fine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just hope you don’t somehow get Cornell 07’d if Denver and Nova fall off in conference.
HGK

Post by HGK »

What Bowen has done vs Epstein, Handley and Kavanagh the last 3 weeks is honestly incredible.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:47 am Just hope you don’t somehow get Cornell 07’d if Denver and Nova fall off in conference.
The officical selection criteria were changed in '09 (motivated by the '07 fiasco). Ever since, the committee choices have been within the bounds of reasonable, IMO.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:58 pm What Bowen has done vs Epstein, Handley and Kavanagh the last 3 weeks is honestly incredible.
I agree 100%. He covered a moose like Handley the week before and frustrated him, including some caused TOs. Then he held the quick, shifty Kavanaugh to 10% shooting and causing minimal damage. And Epstein is a very solid player as well.

Bowen’s clearing is also excellent, he is a truly remarkable player.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:42 pm
HGK wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:58 pm What Bowen has done vs Epstein, Handley and Kavanagh the last 3 weeks is honestly incredible.
I agree 100%. He covered a moose like Handley the week before and frustrated him, including some caused TOs. Then he held the quick, shifty Kavanaugh to 10% shooting and causing minimal damage. And Epstein is a very solid player as well.

Bowen’s clearing is also excellent, he is a truly remarkable player.
I think he looks better with Gtown than he did with UNC. He’s really thriving in this system.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”