Dartmouth 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Dartmouth 2022

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 pm .
Dartmouth fans, I don't think you're going to like this tweet... https://twitter.com/danarestia/status/1 ... 3473131520
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am To the Dartmouth community,

It is my profound pleasure to announce today that Dartmouth is expanding its undergraduate need-blind admissions policy to include international students. This means that when Dartmouth’s Office of Admissions considers applicants from outside the United States, financial need will no longer be a factor in the decision-making process.

This historic change in our admissions policy makes Dartmouth one of only six U.S. colleges and universities to offer need-blind admissions to all undergraduate applicants and guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted students’ demonstrated financial need.

We’re able to make this change because hundreds of alumni, parents, and friends fervently believe, as I do, that U.S. and international applicants should be evaluated by the same standard and have committed $90 million in scholarship funds to the cause. This includes an exceptional and inspiring $40 million from an anonymous donor that we are announcing today—the largest single scholarship gift in Dartmouth history.

As I and every faculty and staff colleague can attest, our entire community benefits from a diverse student body. International students share perspectives and life experiences that deeply enrich classroom discussions and elevate teaching and learning across our campus.
For the individual students who come to Hanover from every corner of the globe, the power of financial aid can be life-changing. These are ambitious young adults ready to take on the world. They have the talent. They have the drive. And it is an honor for Dartmouth to be in a position to provide them with the means to realize their full potential.

I encourage you to take a few moments to read the full announcement and watch today’s Community Conversations, where I talk more about this historic change in our admissions policy and discuss its significance with some of the Dartmouth community members who helped make it happen.
It’s a thrill to see Dartmouth strengthening its core values and traditions through The Call to Lead campaign, while bolstering its ability to prepare graduates to lead with empathy, respect, confidence, and competence on the world stage. Thank you for playing a role in making that possible.

Sincerely,
Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Meanwhile
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieport ... 4dc15d10ce
can you copy and paste for us?

It's an interesting problem.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 pm .
Dartmouth fans, I don't think you're going to like this tweet... https://twitter.com/danarestia/status/1 ... 3473131520
:lol: I think we can take jibes like that in stride.

And Tufts plays some serious ball, no joke there.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 am
faircornell wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:38 am An interesting article in the Financial Times about Big Green financial aid. Worth a read.
Yes. Thanks.

https://www.ft.com/content/558427f6-a3b ... 424fe1d328

hmmm, I hope the College expands its undergraduate student body a bit... but 25% from abroad is a lot of slots.
Moving from 8% to 14% is significant in itself, but it's been understood that these have nearly all been full pay students.

Had an interesting discussion with some very involved Dartmouth alums a couple of weeks ago...serious questions about the long term implications on alumni giving rates, as foreign-born students, particularly those who return to their home countries, have had much lower alumni giving participation and impact per capita relative to US-born. Even more so the differential with legacy family giving participation and impact per capita.

Implications.

Playing devil's advocate, I made a counter-point that much the same argument had been used about women admissions back as those commitments were first happening. For multiple decades women alumni had much lower participation and impact...but that's changing fast, now, as a generation of early women are now in their prime giving years and are stepping up big-time. There's a critical mass of marvelously successful women who are challenging one another to step up. And they are doing so enthusiastically, en masse.

Perhaps the bet is that as the world gets "smaller", non-US born alumni will increasingly participate in supporting the College for future generations, especially as the critical mass of such build in each region/city abroad.

As a sports person, I hope we continue our commitments to the full diversity and complement of sports....some of the sports certainly include foreign-born potential, but we'll likely need an expansion of students overall. BTW, athlete alums are disproportionately strong financial supporters of the College as well.
As you note (depending on the College's priorities), there are a lot of sports that are played at higher levels outside the USA. Also, there are some "gritty" participants that are hungry and hard working, but lacking means. I'd argue that it's not so much the direct giving done by these student athletes if they return home, but the indirect influence that they have on the student experience. For Cornell, exploits of the ice hockey team, and lacrosse team (and for old timers, the football team) were all contributors to alum loyalty for student spectators.

Examples of sports where non US student athletes could likely make a contribution: soccer, ice hockey, lacrosse, squash, track & field (possibly more).
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm

It is my profound pleasure to announce today that Dartmouth is expanding its undergraduate need-blind admissions policy to include international students. This means that when Dartmouth’s Office of Admissions considers applicants from outside the United States, financial need will no longer be a factor in the decision-making process.

This historic change in our admissions policy makes Dartmouth one of only six U.S. colleges and universities to offer need-blind admissions to all undergraduate applicants and guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted students’ demonstrated financial need.

We’re able to make this change because hundreds of alumni, parents, and friends fervently believe, as I do, that U.S. and international applicants should be evaluated by the same standard and have committed $90 million in scholarship funds to the cause. This includes an exceptional and inspiring $40 million from an anonymous donor that we are announcing today—the largest single scholarship gift in Dartmouth history.

As I and every faculty and staff colleague can attest, our entire community benefits from a diverse student body. International students share perspectives and life experiences that deeply enrich classroom discussions and elevate teaching and learning across our campus.
For the individual students who come to Hanover from every corner of the globe, the power of financial aid can be life-changing. These are ambitious young adults ready to take on the world. They have the talent. They have the drive. And it is an honor for Dartmouth to be in a position to provide them with the means to realize their full potential.

I encourage you to take a few moments to read the full announcement and watch today’s Community Conversations, where I talk more about this historic change in our admissions policy and discuss its significance with some of the Dartmouth community members who helped make it happen.
It’s a thrill to see Dartmouth strengthening its core values and traditions through The Call to Lead campaign, while bolstering its ability to prepare graduates to lead with empathy, respect, confidence, and competence on the world stage. Thank you for playing a role in making that possible.

Sincerely,
Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Meanwhile

The suit was filed late Sunday on behalf of five former students who attended three of the schools named in the proposed class-action lawsuit.

The universities allegedly took part in price fixing by using a shared methodology to determine students’ financial need, which the suit argues limited aid by preventing competition to offer more generous aid packages.

Under an antitrust exemption for schools, universities are permitted to work together on determining aid formulas as long as students are admitted on a need-blind basis, according to the filing.

However, the suit alleges that at least nine of the schools considered potential students’ ability to pay tuition in some admissions and waiting list decisions, which is prohibited for universities claiming the antitrust exemption.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and for the universities to stop working together to determine financial need.

Upwards of 170,000 students who attended the schools using financial aid over the past 18 years could be eligible to join the lawsuit as plaintiffs, lawyers told the Wall Street Journal.
Besides Yale, the other universities named in the suit are: Georgetown University, Northwestern University, Brown University, the California Institute of Technology, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Emory University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Pennsylvania, Rice University and Vanderbilt University.

KEY BACKGROUND
The universities being sued are all part of the 568 Presidents Group, an alliance of schools that maintain a common financial aid system. The group meets several times a year to discuss formulas, according to the Wall Street Journal. The group takes its name from Section 568 of the Improving America's Schools Act (IASA) of 1994, which allowed universities to establish a shared financial aid method formula across different schools – an antitrust exemption – on the condition that financial need not play a role in admission. Law firms Roche Freedman, Gilbert Litigators & Counselors, Berger Montague and FeganScott filed the lawsuit in the Northern District of Illinois. Eric Rosen, a partner at Roche Freedman who is representing the plaintiffs, is a former federal prosecutor and helped convict parents involved in the Varsity Blues case, in which wealthy families were found to have committed fraud in order to get their children admitted into top universities. Actors Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman both served time in prison over the scandal.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm

Sincerely,
Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Meanwhile

The suit was filed late Sunday on behalf of five former students who attended three of the schools named in the proposed class-action lawsuit.

The universities allegedly took part in price fixing by using a shared methodology to determine students’ financial need, which the suit argues limited aid by preventing competition to offer more generous aid packages.

Under an antitrust exemption for schools, universities are permitted to work together on determining aid formulas as long as students are admitted on a need-blind basis, according to the filing.

However, the suit alleges that at least nine of the schools considered potential students’ ability to pay tuition in some admissions and waiting list decisions, which is prohibited for universities claiming the antitrust exemption.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and for the universities to stop working together to determine financial need.

Upwards of 170,000 students who attended the schools using financial aid over the past 18 years could be eligible to join the lawsuit as plaintiffs, lawyers told the Wall Street Journal.
Besides Yale, the other universities named in the suit are: Georgetown University, Northwestern University, Brown University, the California Institute of Technology, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Emory University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Pennsylvania, Rice University and Vanderbilt University.

KEY BACKGROUND
The universities being sued are all part of the 568 Presidents Group, an alliance of schools that maintain a common financial aid system. The group meets several times a year to discuss formulas, according to the Wall Street Journal. The group takes its name from Section 568 of the Improving America's Schools Act (IASA) of 1994, which allowed universities to establish a shared financial aid method formula across different schools – an antitrust exemption – on the condition that financial need not play a role in admission. Law firms Roche Freedman, Gilbert Litigators & Counselors, Berger Montague and FeganScott filed the lawsuit in the Northern District of Illinois. Eric Rosen, a partner at Roche Freedman who is representing the plaintiffs, is a former federal prosecutor and helped convict parents involved in the Varsity Blues case, in which wealthy families were found to have committed fraud in order to get their children admitted into top universities. Actors Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman both served time in prison over the scandal.
Thanks.

So, re the above decision about international students now being 'need-blind', that decision would moot, at least going forward, the exemption issue on this question of a common financial aid formula? Seems like there could be a defensible position looking backwards that the foreign students weren't eligible for financial aid and thus didn't enter into the equation as to how much aid was appropriate for domestic students. The international students might have a gripe, but not the domestic?

But not if the College had been or continues to consider capacity to pay in any admissions or waitlist priorities. Then no antitrust shield. The purpose of that shield has been to avoid colleges "bidding" beyond "100% need" in order to land the most impressive students, and thus running out of resources to cover others' needs. Competition amongst these schools therefore becomes one of school and program fit for the applicants, not a financial war that automatically favors the better endowed schools.

It's certainly been assumed by many (whether true or not) that at most schools, including Dartmouth, a financial gift of sufficient scale (7 figures) could make a difference in an otherwise financially 'blind admissions selection, at least over decades past. This lawsuit would attack that practice, if ongoing.

More than 50% of Dartmouth undergrad students receive financial aid, totaling over $90 million a year in aid from the college.

Re sports, the Ivies don't provide athletic scholarships, but the financial need formula is quite attractive...if there's need....and lots have at least partial need. But admissions is blind to that aspect.

However, the admissions process does factor, positively, the socio-economic disadvantages/challenges an applicant has overcome in becoming a competitive applicant. That's the opposite of preference for full-pay.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I've not been a big Hanlon fan, but some of Dartmouth's accomplishments this past decade are indeed notable. And Phil indeed did better than his immediate predecessor in recognizing and leveraging Dartmouth's unique features, IMO. My son was looking at schools in 2010 and applying in '11 and I was surprised at how Dartmouth didn't seem to understand itself at that point. Phil's announced that he's leaving in June 2023.

I don't know our current BD Chair well, but her husband was class behind me and Beta brother. Good guy. She's Dartmouth undergrad, and Thayer, and HBS...McKinsey...

Dear members of the Dartmouth community,

President Hanlon returned to lead Dartmouth, his alma mater, almost a decade ago. Today, he announced his plan to step down from his role in June of 2023. Along with all of the Trustees, I am immensely grateful to Phil for the tireless work he has done to steer the institution to ever greater academic excellence, inclusion, and impact.

An alumnus of the Class of 1977, Phil has initiated and led an unprecedented advancement in academic excellence since 2013. Thanks to his vision, we have recruited, promoted, and retained top faculty; strengthened Dartmouth’s commitment to research, scholarship, and creativity by investing in programs and facilities; elevated the caliber of undergraduate, graduate, and professional admissions applications; and enhanced our commitment to staff. Our university has doubled down on attracting the most curious, innovative, and globally minded academic and research talent. Equally important, Phil has put Dartmouth on a firm financial footing for a strong and dynamic future.

I want to highlight here some of the many achievements that speak to Phil’s singular commitment to build on the best of Dartmouth. Please also watch for a fuller account of everything our community has accomplished under his leadership in an upcoming feature on Dartmouth News.

Our annual research spending has increased by more than 50% since Phil took up his role, contributing to Dartmouth’s recognition as one of the nation’s leading research universities, and our outstanding faculty are regularly honored with academia’s most prestigious awards.

Our admissions outcomes have soared, bringing us talented and engaging students across the institution. Selectivity is at an all-time high and we are more diverse than ever as well. Undergraduate applications are up 30% since 2013 and our yield is one of the highest in America. People of color now represent 24% of faculty and almost half of our Class of 2025 identify as students of color, including students from 51 tribal nations and other Indigenous groups. A record 17% of the Class of 2025 are of the first generation in their family to attend college.

With the support of generous donors, we have made historic investments in Dartmouth’s academic enterprise including new centers of excellence to advance research and our impact on some of the world’s most pressing issues, from the Guarini School of Graduate and Advanced Studies (Dartmouth’s first new school in more than a century) and the Susan and James Wright Center for the Study of Computation and Just Communities to the Norris Cotton Cancer Center. In parallel, we have developed the West End, now home to the Center for Engineering and Computer Science, the Arthur L. Irving Institute for Energy and Society, and the Tuck School of Business.

Phil’s disciplined approach to Dartmouth’s finances and his championing of The Call to Lead campaign mean we are on a strong financial footing that will allow us to invest in the future and position us for growth – and our endowment has more than doubled to a record $8.5 billion. This financial stability has enabled major investments in facility upgrades and new construction across campus. As important, it has strengthened our commitment to diversifying our student body and greatly expanded undergraduate financial aid, including extending our need-blind admissions policy to international applicants, as we just announced.

Since his first day as president, Phil has been a stabilizing force on campus and spearheaded several interlocking initiatives, including Moving Dartmouth Forward, Inclusive Excellence, and the Campus Climate and Culture Initiative, to create a culture that is more supportive and welcoming of every member of our community.

Phil knows first-hand the power of the very special interaction our students enjoy with faculty. It is why he has been a champion of experiential learning and continues to engage closely with undergraduates by teaching a mathematics class every year. For all his accomplishments in the service of his alma mater, it is characteristic of Phil that his focus is on what remains to be done. The Trustees and I look forward to working with him on completing The Call to Lead campaign, furthering the commitment to financial aid, diversity, and the arts, and other initiatives on his agenda.

We appreciate that Phil has given us ample time to find the next great president in the Wheelock Succession. We will be launching a comprehensive search, and I will be back to you with more details about that in a subsequent update. In the meantime, I invite you to join me and my fellow Trustees in celebrating Phil for his extraordinary work and thanking him for his unwavering dedication to Dartmouth.

Sincerely,
Liz

Elizabeth Cahill Lempres ’83, Thayer ’84
Chair of the Dartmouth Board of Trustees

Phil Hanlon's note:

To the Dartmouth community,

When I arrived at Dartmouth in 2013, I laid out a 10-year vision for my presidency. Dartmouth would be a magnet for talent, home to a diverse and engaged set of students, faculty, and staff drawn to Hanover from around the world by the excellence of our teaching and research missions. Dartmouth would lean into its strengths and dare to take on some of the world’s most urgent challenges, pulling together the intellectual resources of the campus community and alumni body in an inclusive and collaborative effort to make an outsized impact wherever we choose to focus our energies. And we would celebrate the distinctive Dartmouth experience by elevating the tight connection between students and faculty, and the profound sense of place here in these North Woods which create a community unlike any other.

Over the past eight and a half years, we have done just that, and I could not be prouder of the strides we have made towards this vision. Our progress has been fueled by historic investments across the institution in the academic enterprise and the undergraduate and graduate student experience, made possible by extensive community participation in The Call to Lead campaign.

As the vision I set forth almost 10 years ago becomes reality, the time is right to pass the torch. I have informed the Board of Trustees that I will step down as president in June 2023 after a decade at the helm. I want to ensure that the Board has ample time to find Dartmouth’s next president. I am committed to supporting that person through a smooth leadership transition while we continue the important work that lies ahead.

Between now and then there is still much to achieve. Through the continuation of the campaign, I am committed to meeting our full set of financial aid goals that will position Dartmouth as one of a handful of U.S. universities that is universally need-blind and has eliminated loans from its financial aid packages for all undergraduate students. Furthermore, we will highlight our commitment to the arts through an exciting plan to modernize and expand the Hopkins Center. And crucially, we must continue to expand our efforts to shape a campus community that is more diverse, equitable, and inclusive.

It has been the honor of a lifetime to serve Dartmouth, an institution that did so much to transform my life when I was student here in the 1970s. Gail and I are profoundly grateful that you welcomed us both with open arms on my return and that we have forged meaningful friendships with so many of you. We are particularly thankful that we have been able to spend so much time with Dartmouth students. For me, it is a privilege to personally greet every matriculating first year undergraduate student as they begin their college career and to salute every graduate up to and including our PhDs as they set forth into the world strengthened by what they learned and accomplished at Dartmouth. Whether in the classroom, at athletic events, artistic performances, graduate school investitures, or group dinners at the president’s house, Gail and I have been inspired by the undeniable talent and passion of our students. It is, after all, why as faculty, staff, and administrators, we come to Dartmouth.

Yours truly,
Phil

Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MD here’s an interesting case of 5th yr use. Nate Boone from the FB team is using his extra year while getting a masters at Carnegie Mellon. Seems pretty cool as an opportunity. I’m sure there’s no admissions benefit to the football and it’s all student driven. As long as Hobart doesn’t have to play them I hope he has a successful season next fall. (had one home and away w CMU in the 2000s and that’s it to me knowledge)

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/foot ... oone/34012
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The FT "Lex" column throws Dartmouth under the bus. Interesting reading.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:50 am The FT "Lex" column throws Dartmouth under the bus. Interesting reading.
can you link?...if it's the same columnist I'm thinking of, that would be par for the course...has he ever written a positive column?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Anyone catch the Tufts scrimmage? Tufts has some of their highlights on Instagram, obviously “highlighting” them… looking forward to some progress for the Big Green.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:25 pm https://on.ft.com/3gbZJYo
Don't have access, tried removing cookies... can you copy and paste?

Sounds interesting
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

RumorMill wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:20 pm Anyone catch the Tufts scrimmage? Tufts has some of their highlights on Instagram, obviously “highlighting” them… looking forward to some progress for the Big Green.
Sure, see the NESCAC thread on the DIII forum.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

IT's SHOWTIME
The 2nd all time meeting Dartmouth vs Merrimack this coming Saturday. Brisk,cold forecast.

2 years, and 4 days earlier (in that distant 2020 season) a first meeting between the two schools.
George Prince 6G, 3A
Tommy Rogan 4G, 2A.

Hopefully a season opening W for the Big Green. And a promising return to competitive IVY League lacrosse

GBG
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Nice job today by the Big Green over Bryant.

Hincks with another 67% day.

I watched all but the last couple of mins when the feed frustratingly had to end but they held on to close it out 11-9.

I know that Bryant was putting a 10-man on, but our clearing seemed miserable to me. Gotta get the midfielders into the clear quicker, don't let the 10 man set up.

Yup, from stats, only 16 of 25 on clearing.

A lot of the time it seemed to me that middies were running to a spot on the field rather than recognizing open spaces to exploit. Gotta think more like a receiver in football against a zone coverage, find the seams and adapt to what the opponent gives you.

But we fought hard physically, and at least for the most part, we seemed to value our shots more...at the beginning it felt more like they were just taking the first shot that seemed available.

I liked most of the defensive effort, albeit with some breakdowns. Hincks had to do an awful lot of work, facing 51 shots overall...but I think this was mostly due to too many give backs in possession rather than poor D.

24 turnovers...fortunately Bryant made 20 TO's.

But 13 of Bryant's were CT's caused by our guys' pressure, whereas 10 were such of ours...meaning 14 unforced, twice Bryant's...not ok.

We had a 12 to 9 edge on FO's, but had 4 less GB's overall. A lot of slop on both sides, lots of physical pressure...that said we fouled less and Bryant was 0-2 whereas we were 2 of 6 on our man up opportunities.

Good win. Good step forward.
Congrats!

PS Bryant's top guy Marc O'Rourke had an excellent day with 5 goals and assist...but took 18 shots to do that.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Congrats to the BIG GREEN. A great win for your program and the Ivy League. Your team is clearly on the right track and I know my beloved BIGRED better take your team seriously when we meet later in the year. Keep up the great work.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Is Rogan injured?
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

I was wondering the same thing about Rogan. Nice to see him play a prominent role (3g, 3a) in the win vs. Siena.

Lacrosse Bucket profiles the goalie match up in tomorrow's game vs. UVM: https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/03/07/g ... eek-clash/. Should be a good one!
Finish Strong
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kyle Devitte @TheKyleDevitte · 11m
Wow. Huge win for the Big Green. Dartmouth hangs on and that’s 3 wins in a row.
Hincks snagged a speculative bouncer that was nowhere near the cage and hung onto it to secure the victory.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”