All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:37 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:22 pm Lauding Zelenskyy is nice. Fox was calling him pathetic just a couple of days ago for his statement asking for a peaceful solution. The same show also had the guy on who got impeached for trying to extort Zelenskyy to interfere in our election. The whole withholding security aid to Ukraine thing unless Zelenskyy announced a fake investigation into his presidential opponent.
This day was about 5 or 6 years in the making. Back when we told Russia to ignore Barry.

Russia Russia Russia!…….Russian Hoax! TDS!!
Thank goodness we got rid of that guy. Things are so much better now, especially for the Ukrainians.
I wonder why they waited 5 years to invade.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:14 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:22 pm Lauding Zelenskyy is nice. Fox was calling him pathetic just a couple of days ago for his statement asking for a peaceful solution. The same show also had the guy on who got impeached for trying to extort Zelenskyy to interfere in our election. The whole withholding security aid to Ukraine thing unless Zelenskyy announced a fake investigation into his presidential opponent.
This day was about 5 or 6 years in the making. Back when we told Russia to ignore Barry.

Thank goodness we got rid of that guy. Things are so much better now, especially for the Ukrainians.
Ask Donald, Old Soviet. Who knows.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:07 pmI don't know if Ukraine has enough of the Turkish designed drones to make a difference. They made a deal with Turkey a few months ago to produce them in Ukraine. They've employed them in the fighting in the Donbass & they took out 1 artillery position. They're smaller, fly lower & slower, are more vulnerable & carry a less lethal weapon that the Hellfire missile fired by US made drones, which the US has been hesitant to supply for fear of proliferation.
Not enough to make a difference, but every cut counts in weakening Russia's resolve. Putin won't waver, but there are a lot of people from the conscripts to the generals & oligarchs who may eventually say enough is enough if the price in lives and money gets to be too high.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:14 pmThank goodness we got rid of that guy. Things are so much better now, especially for the Ukrainians.
Putin has obviously been planning and building this up for a long time. Plan B was most likely to invade in 2020 or early 2021, not accounting for a pandemic and betting on Trump coasting to a re-election win had the pandemic and subsequent events not occurred. Putin had been very successful at dividing US sentiment towards both Russia and Ukraine, and he had been successful at driving division in Europe, destabilizing the EU and Ukraine. Russia suffered after Crimea, and if Hilary had won this invasion may have happened in early 2017 (Plan A). But Putin struck gold with the 2016 election and was granted a stay due to Trump's support, giving him 4 years to really build up strength.

He enjoyed support from the US administration after Trump won and used that lull as a springboard to keep turning the divisive screws everywhere.

The pandemic threw a huge monkey wrench into his plans IMHO, pausing everything. Why do you think they pushed the Sputnik vaccine so fast vs everyone else? Then Trump lost, a spotlight fixed on Ukraine with all the news about his crimes and Biden's own issues. Then Brexit happened, ironically strengthening the rest of the EU due to its disaster. Putin had to postpone, hoping things would cool down a bit.

With no pandemic, a Trump re-election and Biden scandals :substantiated" in Ukraine, Ukraine would have been an afterthought and the result of an invasion would be Crimea all over again. Ukraine had been getting supplied since 2014, but if no one actually cared what happened, big losses in the invasion were acceptable and could be realpolitik'd over.

But the pandemic happened and Putin couldn't wait forever. He's getting old and Europe and NATO may have eventually brought Ukraine into the fold. So we got Plan C, invasion this week.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:17 pm

Maybe he's telling them he's planning to send the 200 Javelin missiles to Ukraine that Barry declined.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Maybe he's telling them he's planning to send the 200 Javelin missiles to Ukraine that Barry declined.
I don't know what Trump told them Old Soviet... neither do you.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:05 pm

You said that's when he told them to ignore Barry.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:08 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... ot-n826201

You don't know what they were told Old Soviet.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:58 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:14 pmThank goodness we got rid of that guy. Things are so much better now, especially for the Ukrainians.
Putin has obviously been planning and building this up for a long time. Plan B was most likely to invade in 2020 or early 2021, not accounting for a pandemic and betting on Trump coasting to a re-election win had the pandemic and subsequent events not occurred. Putin had been very successful at dividing US sentiment towards both Russia and Ukraine, and he had been successful at driving division in Europe, destabilizing the EU and Ukraine. Russia suffered after Crimea, and if Hilary had won this invasion may have happened in early 2017 (Plan A). But Putin struck gold with the 2016 election and was granted a stay due to Trump's support, giving him 4 years to really build up strength.

He enjoyed support from the US administration after Trump won and used that lull as a springboard to keep turning the divisive screws everywhere.

The pandemic threw a huge monkey wrench into his plans IMHO, pausing everything. Why do you think they pushed the Sputnik vaccine so fast vs everyone else? Then Trump lost, a spotlight fixed on Ukraine with all the news about his crimes and Biden's own issues. Then Brexit happened, ironically strengthening the rest of the EU due to its disaster. Putin had to postpone, hoping things would cool down a bit.

With no pandemic, a Trump re-election and Biden scandals :substantiated" in Ukraine, Ukraine would have been an afterthought and the result of an invasion would be Crimea all over again. Ukraine had been getting supplied since 2014, but if no one actually cared what happened, big losses in the invasion were acceptable and could be realpolitik'd over.

But the pandemic happened and Putin couldn't wait forever. He's getting old and Europe and NATO may have eventually brought Ukraine into the fold. So we got Plan C, invasion this week.
I think it more likely that this is when Putin decided he'd have to intervene militarily.
https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-preside ... 79430.html
Then Zellensky was elected & doubled down on pursuing NATO & EU membership.
Then Trump was impeached for not immediately approving more lethal aid, thanks to leaks by Ukrainian sympathizers in his NSC.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

You need to stop being so racist.

It’s President Obama.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:19 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:58 pm

I think it more likely that this is when Putin decided he'd have to intervene militarily.
https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-preside ... 79430.html
Then Zellensky was elected & doubled down on pursuing NATO & EU membership.
Then Trump was impeached for not immediately approving more lethal aid, thanks to leaks by Ukrainian sympathizers in his NSC.
Before sleepy Joe won….Old Sage.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:21 pm

You need to stop being so racist.

It’s President Obama.

DocBarrister
Yeah TLD. Stop being so racist. It's President Obama to you.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 pm Before sleepy Joe won….Old Sage.
Stop being so ageist. It's President Biden to you. Narcolepsy is not debilitating. ...I speak from experience.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I like Adam Kinzinger. I admire his service & experience as a USAF pilot. I respect his courage in opposing Trump.
I question his wisdom in advocating the US & NATO enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine.

Russia is not a third world opponent. We would eventually prevail in an air war with Russia, but we'd take significant losses.
To do so over Ukraine, we'd have to operate from bases in NATO countries which are still not sufficiently equipped or defended to stage an all out air war. PLUS -- this would constitute an attack on Russia by the US &/or NATO, launched from NATO bases.
It would be the opening phase of WW-III between the world's strongest nuclear powers. That is not hyperbole.

It' is provocative & interesting & to game out, but (imho) it is an irresponsible recommendation from someone in his position.
I hoped Kinzinger would be a future Secy of the Air Force. I'm not so sure anymore.
old salt

Post by old salt »

WP report, so it's not disinfo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
A second Russian Ilyushin Il-76 military transport plane was shot down near Bila Tserkva, 50 miles (85 kilometers) south of Kyiv, according to two American officials with direct knowledge of conditions on the ground in Ukraine.

On Friday, Ukraine’s military said it had shot down a Russian military transport plane with paratroopers on board.

According to a statement from the military’s General Staff, the first Il-76 heavy transport plane was shot down near Vasylkiv, a city 25 miles south of Kyiv. The Russian military has not commented on either incident so far, and the reports could not be immediately verified.

Major failure -- Russian air force has still not suppressed Ukraine's antiquated Soviet legacy air defenses before putting large (C-5 size) transport aircraft at risk. The IL-76 can carry a lot of paratroopers. If both planes were full, that would be a huge loss.
Get video of crash sites & bodies online in Russia.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Because Putin knew he would have millions of American sympathizers because Republican voters think that Dems are bad, "therefore", Putin "must" be good. He knows your team better than you do, obviously.

Happy? Want me to cite the FoxNation sympathizers for you, who are doing just that?

Perfect example is your comment above. Might as well send a thumbs up note directly to Putin, OS.

What happened to agreeing that this wasn't our problem, OS? Couldn't help but slag off Biden and that little D by his name?
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:35 am WP report, so it's not disinfo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
A second Russian Ilyushin Il-76 military transport plane was shot down near Bila Tserkva, 50 miles (85 kilometers) south of Kyiv, according to two American officials with direct knowledge of conditions on the ground in Ukraine.

On Friday, Ukraine’s military said it had shot down a Russian military transport plane with paratroopers on board.

According to a statement from the military’s General Staff, the first Il-76 heavy transport plane was shot down near Vasylkiv, a city 25 miles south of Kyiv. The Russian military has not commented on either incident so far, and the reports could not be immediately verified.

Major failure -- Russian air force has still not suppressed Ukraine's antiquated Soviet legacy air defenses before putting large (C-5 size) transport aircraft at risk. The IL-76 can carry a lot of paratroopers. If both planes were full, that would be a huge loss.
Get video of crash sites & bodies online in Russia.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tions.html
Russian battle plans to take Kyiv and force an early end to the war in Ukraine have been revealed by US intelligence, who say troops and armour would be used to capture airfields, before a force of :shock: 10,000 paratroopers would be flown in to capture the city, round up the government, and force them to sign a peace deal handing control of the country back to Russia
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:55 am

Because Putin knew he would have millions of American sympathizers because Republican voters think that Dems are bad, "therefore", Putin "must" be good. He knows your team better than you do, obviously.

Happy? Want me to cite the FoxNation sympathizers for you, who are doing just that?

Perfect example is your comment above. Might as well send a thumbs up note directly to Putin, OS.

What happened to agreeing that this wasn't our problem, OS? Couldn't help but slag off Biden and that little D by his name?
It was a joke. I was responding to TLD's trolling. TDS can never die.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:03 am What happened to agreeing that this wasn't our problem, OS? Couldn't help but slag off Biden and that little D by his name?
It was a joke. I was responding to TLD's trolling. TDS can never die.
[/quote]
Whew. Thank you. And my sincere apologies for missing it. Read the post a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything, so I wouldn't speak out of turn......you boys are bringing the dry wit today, I'll give you that. My apologies.

Sad couple of days. I can handle Tucker's trolling....but the thought of you piling on was a bit too much. Sorry.

Return to “POLITICS”