Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:24 pm On faceoffs i like double poling with Mazzone and Smith. Reilly if loses will most likely be contested and not a fast break. So gives Hoyas two great GB guys on wings with limited downside of getting into settled defense if don’t win possession. And both can create offense if Hoyas win possession.
Did they do this in the Hopkins game?
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

About 50% of time. Seemed more effective.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Huge game tomorrow obviously. Penn in many ways seems a mirror image to Georgetown. Very athletic, love to run in transition and have a few dominant players on both sides of the ball. Handley clearly one of best players in country. If Bowen slow him down is the biggest question in my mind. Incredible matchup as may be best offensive player vs best defensive player in country. If Bowen can keep him somewhat neutralized you would have to think the Hoyas have advantage in cage, face off X and close D. Either way this is going to be a battle.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Big win today. Great to see Bowen clamp down on Handley and Reilly go 14 for 22 on face offs. Also good to see for only 10 goals so many guys put points on the board.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

McElroy continues to play at an elite level. Haley back was great to see but seemed he is still working his way back. Hopefully he is healthier for a big one out in Indiana on Saturday.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Interesting to start off the year with Hop and Penn and yet it only gets harder this weekend heading to South Bend.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Hoya wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:04 pm Interesting to start off the year with Hop and Penn and yet it only gets harder this weekend heading to South Bend.
Very tough start. Even with a loss to ND (which I think is likely) - it seems to have worked out. The Hop and Penn wins will come in handy if they don’t win the Big East tourney.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Always great to get a W, but the Hoyas are a little lucky to escape from Franklin Field with the win. I counted about 4 or 5 Penn pipe shots.

Defense played very well, but going to need to do better than 21% shooting to get past ND. Penn's defense was able to clamp down in the 4th quarter and force several shot clock TOs. Other than a nice man up goal by Munro, the offense was unable to get the ball inside.

Chalk it up to early season and an offense that is still finding its rhythm. Overall, a great one to have in the W column and build from.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Great matchup .

ND-Georgetown has to be the Game of the Week.

Is it going to be televised?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ACCN plus or X or whatever they’re calling it.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

jumping in here I think these first 2 games really show the gtown recipe for 2022. Not to state the obvious but defense is absolutely phenomenal, the best in the country, and could be one of the greatest hoya defenses of all time. To think that Gibby smith, a first team all american as a sophomore and big east** defensive player of the year , is arguably gtown's 3rd best cover defense men is downright scary + incredible depth with will Tominovich, (who IMO had a vert impressive freshmen campaign last year), Wallace Halpert, the list goes on and on.

I also think the rope unit of Mazzone, geddes, Godine/Leary (both look much improved from last year), & Hess as a two way threat also looks scary as well. James Reilly at the face off dot looked great against Upenn and hes a fantastic faceoff guy overall, but it was also great to see the freshmen Riley get some burn as well and Carson milburn, gtown's secondary option last year, is also a very good option as well.

The question for this gtown team becomes how consistent can the offense be and can they score more than 10+ goals consistently against elite level competition like top tier ACC/big 10/ivy because that who gtown will have to through to get to the final 4 and beyond. Especially going into the 4th quarter, Georgetown given its defensive strength and fantastic coaching is probably the last team in the country I would want to mount a 4th quarter comeback against.

so far this year although its still incredibly earlier the gtown offense has shown a tendency to get into occasional ruts and like years past they don't play alot of offensive midfielders outside of bundy, McDermott, Trippi, Hess, and occasionally Munro/macleod. That model worked back in 2018 with berge, luke wittenberg etc. but the tempo of the game has changed and It wouldn't surprise me that alot of the ruts in the second/late third Quarter the offense gets into is caused by general fatigue especially given the uptempo transition play gtown now utilizes.

For example, Peter Thompson is a great player who in 2020 produced when he got on the field, and Tommy Sopko is another individual who has a lot of experience playing at Bucknell. Moreover, cade MacLeod also looked great against hopkins as well and we got goals off of ball movement after he dodged from X. Even if it is a few reps dodging down the ally, moving the ball, and drawing a slide I feel like playing a little bit more midfielders could give our primary players more rest to make big plays later in the game and while also providing attack more opportunities to attack off ball movement.

Just a few thoughts/personal opinions, I am no personal coach and would obviously defer to the current staff.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoyafan123 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:39 am
so far this year although its still incredibly earlier the gtown offense has shown a tendency to get into occasional ruts and like years past they don't play alot of offensive midfielders outside of bundy, McDermott, Trippi, Hess, and occasionally Munro/macleod. That model worked back in 2018 with berge, luke wittenberg etc. but the tempo of the game has changed and It wouldn't surprise me that alot of the ruts in the second/late third Quarter the offense gets into is caused by general fatigue especially given the uptempo transition play gtown now utilizes.

For example, Peter Thompson is a great player who in 2020 produced when he got on the field, and Tommy Sopko is another individual who has a lot of experience playing at Bucknell. Moreover, cade MacLeod also looked great against hopkins as well and we got goals off of ball movement after he dodged from X. Even if it is a few reps dodging down the ally, moving the ball, and drawing a slide I feel like playing a little bit more midfielders could give our primary players more rest to make big plays later in the game and while also providing attack more opportunities to attack off ball movement.
What we may be seeing is the potential downside of the difficult upfront schedule they have this year. Playing teams like Hopkins and Penn right off the bat give you a little less wiggle room for player development. I still think it's possible (especially with guys who already have experience) and I'd like to see more of it also. None of these game are going to be easy by any means, but perhaps we will see a bit more player development in the Mt St Mary's/Princeton/Richmond/Utah/Lehigh run.

On the other hand, this might be the model they are going to go with. Its not unheard of and I've seen teams be successful with it in the past -- but the season is long and brutal...
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

I think this is the first season Warne has not started a freshman.Why would he with the wealth of talent he has in the upper class, including the grad students?

If this is his 10th year, it was:

Alex Joyce and others 2013
Peter Conley and others in 2014
Craig Berge and others in 2015
Dan Bucaro and others in 2016
Jake Carraway and others in 2017
Gibson Smith and others 2018
James Reilly and others in 2019
Graham Bundy and others in 2020
My
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for Notre Dame game?
HGK

Post by HGK »

Will be interesting to see if the game is outdoors which I don’t think favors Hoyas but indoors definitely favors ND. Away from that I think you have two elite goalies, very good offenses and the difference just may be Bowen vs Kavanagh, similar to Penn and Handley.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:11 pm Will be interesting to see if the game is outdoors which I don’t think favors Hoyas but indoors definitely favors ND. Away from that I think you have two elite goalies, very good offenses and the difference just may be Bowen vs Kavanagh, similar to Penn and Handley.
Hopefully not indoors. IMHO that facility gives ND an unfair home field advantage.

I have a feeling Kavanagh is going to be a tougher assignment than Handley. Handley's size matched well with Bowen's, allowing him to get his hands on him more easily. Kavanagh is smaller and more slippery. I even wonder if Bowen will cover him, or if they will try a smaller, quicker guy like Smith or Donaldson.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Good point rolldodge. I love Smith and his off ball and ground ball game. Donaldson has quietly been a brick wall so far. That might be the call.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:17 pm
HGK wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:11 pm Will be interesting to see if the game is outdoors which I don’t think favors Hoyas but indoors definitely favors ND. Away from that I think you have two elite goalies, very good offenses and the difference just may be Bowen vs Kavanagh, similar to Penn and Handley.
Hopefully not indoors. IMHO that facility gives ND an unfair home field advantage.

I have a feeling Kavanagh is going to be a tougher assignment than Handley. Handley's size matched well with Bowen's, allowing him to get his hands on him more easily. Kavanagh is smaller and more slippery. I even wonder if Bowen will cover him, or if they will try a smaller, quicker guy like Smith or Donaldson.
High of 34F. predicted for lovely South Bend IN tomorrow. Look for the game to be played in their Quonset hut giving them a big advantage.
molo

Post by molo »

Looks like an English major as a fan. Not that I need a reason to root for Georgetown over ND, but any school that produces readers of real books gets my vote.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 pm Good point rolldodge. I love Smith and his off ball and ground ball game. Donaldson has quietly been a brick wall so far. That might be the call.
On the other hand, just remembering that Bowen was able to contain Epstein...

Should be a great game!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”