North Carolina 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: North Carolina 2022

Post by jrn19 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:32 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:09 am Don’t think only having 1 title is that much of an indictment; winning the title is hard. But 2 F4’s in 13 years in comparison to their rivals doesn’t measure up.

Since 2009, Duke has 9 F4’s. Maryland has 8. Notre Dame has 5. Denver has 5. Virginia has 5. Cuse fired Desko for 2 F4’s in that time frame, same with Petro at Hopkins. Obviously he’s achieved much more than Haus, but that was a low bar and the level of recruit he’s brought in is as high as anyone.
I dunno.
Other than UVA, any other school have as many pretty girls to be distracted by?

Seriously, UNC is a terrific school, and has attracted a lot of excellent players over the years, for sure. But I really do think that the way ratings out of HS are created created a misimpression about how talented those classes are.

I'm biased, but if you don't have an All-American goalie and/or an All-American FOGO, as well as a really good team throughout, it's more a matter of luck at making a F4. Add one or both of those and chances go up significantly.

They did have RG Keenan and Bones Kelly over that period...but...
Maryland’s had an AA FOGO for…one of their F4’s? Duke hasn’t had good goalie play before Adler in years. They won a title in 2014 with like 47% goalie play.

Even if the argument is UNC’s classes aren’t as good as their rankings…are we saying they’re still any worse or significantly worse than MD’s or Duke’s or UVA’s or Denver’s? Or ND’s? If the players they’re recruiting aren’t as good, then they’re not recruiting as well and there’s no reason UNC shouldn’t recruit as well as those schools. If they are but not getting the same results; then they’re not developing as well as them. Either way, there’s something that’s stopping them from achieving nearly the same level of results as their peer schools and it’s not the resources or the school or anything like that cause UNC has all that in spades
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:44 amIf they are but not getting the same results; then they’re not developing as well as them. Either way, there’s something that’s stopping them from achieving nearly the same level of results as their peer schools and it’s not the resources or the school or anything like that cause UNC has all that in spades.
Yes. That's what I see (as well). Though, I don't see the development so much as individual as communal. Though I've never really checked, I don't think UNC players are any worse in the PLL or whatever as the players from other perennial powers. As individuals, they're as good as the individuals on MD, Duke, UVA, etc. As a team, less so. For whatever reason, the UNC teams seem to consistently be a step or two behind the rest. Yes, they win games. Yes, they go to the Final Four or, as mentioned, win a National C'ship. but on the whole, year after year, other teams are consistently there while UNC is more sporadic. And, still, they continue to bring in great, great talent. It's a strange thing.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe the bigger indictment is they’ve only been in four quarters since 2010. First rd losses in 2011-2012, 2014 & 2017. Didn’t make tourney in 2018-2019. Had as many quarters under haus-just no final
Fours between 1993-2016!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:52 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:44 amIf they are but not getting the same results; then they’re not developing as well as them. Either way, there’s something that’s stopping them from achieving nearly the same level of results as their peer schools and it’s not the resources or the school or anything like that cause UNC has all that in spades.
Yes. That's what I see (as well). Though, I don't see the development so much as individual as communal. Though I've never really checked, I don't think UNC players are any worse in the PLL or whatever as the players from other perennial powers. As individuals, they're as good as the individuals on MD, Duke, UVA, etc. As a team, less so. For whatever reason, the UNC teams seem to consistently be a step or two behind the rest. Yes, they win games. Yes, they go to the Final Four or, as mentioned, win a National C'ship. but on the whole, year after year, other teams are consistently there while UNC is more sporadic. And, still, they continue to bring in great, great talent. It's a strange thing.
You have to be careful with “great great talent”. I think UNC has a selection/Identification problem. Maryland has supplemented recruiting with transfers. Not sure UNC has been as active in the transfer market as Duke or ND?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

are we doing notre dame and duke next? i want some of that duke action.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:44 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:09 am Don’t think only having 1 title is that much of an indictment; winning the title is hard. But 2 F4’s in 13 years in comparison to their rivals doesn’t measure up.

Since 2009, Duke has 9 F4’s. Maryland has 8. Notre Dame has 5. Denver has 5. Virginia has 5. Cuse fired Desko for 2 F4’s in that time frame, same with Petro at Hopkins. Obviously he’s achieved much more than Haus, but that was a low bar and the level of recruit he’s brought in is as high as anyone.
I dunno.

Seriously, UNC is a terrific school, and has attracted a lot of excellent players over the years, for sure. But I really do think that the way ratings out of HS are created created a misimpression about how talented those classes are.

I'm biased, but if you don't have an All-American goalie and/or an All-American FOGO, as well as a really good team throughout, it's more a matter of luck at making a F4. Add one or both of those and chances go up significantly.

Maryland’s had an AA FOGO for…one of their F4’s? Duke hasn’t had good goalie play before Adler in years. They won a title in 2014 with like 47% goalie play.

Even if the argument is UNC’s classes aren’t as good as their rankings…are we saying they’re still any worse or significantly worse than MD’s or Duke’s or UVA’s or Denver’s? Or ND’s? If the players they’re recruiting aren’t as good, then they’re not recruiting as well and there’s no reason UNC shouldn’t recruit as well as those schools. If they are but not getting the same results; then they’re not developing as well as them. Either way, there’s something that’s stopping them from achieving nearly the same level of results as their peer schools and it’s not the resources or the school or anything like that cause UNC has all that in spades
Are you a UNC alum?

I'm not, so I find it a bit unseemly to be critical of a program on their thread.

If UNC alums/fans want to come on here and clamor for a coaching regime change, I'm ok with that. Not seemly for fans of other programs to do so...but that's my POV.

My own sense is they run a pretty darn good, clean program that many schools would give their eye-teeth to have.

I was, however, critical of the leading participation in ER, not specific to the program but rather that I felt it was awful for the youth. I was bit sharper in my critique of the relative lions of the game who participated in the vanguard of that ever earlier progression than I was Breschi, because I felt they had the gravitas to drive rule changes. We had to wait for the women's side to finally get that done! But Breschi was indeed one of those pushing hardest ever earlier.

Whatever the reason for the minute differences between a Top 10 expected contender and one which breaks through to multiple F4's and championship wins, I'd just say that they perennially have a really tough teams to beat. In 2016 they "over performed" and in other years we could say they did not.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:57 am
You have to be careful with “great great talent”. I think UNC has a selection/Identification problem. Maryland has supplemented recruiting with transfers. Not sure UNC has been as active in the transfer market as Duke or ND?
Chris Gray but net lost more it seems as fifth years bounce.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:59 am are we doing notre dame and duke next? i want some of that duke action.
Notre dame. One final and their anointed. But you take the Irish on you’ll have all the LI parents on your a**
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:59 am

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

I'm not, so I find it a bit unseemly to be critical of a program on their thread.

If UNC alums/fans want to come on here and clamor for a coaching regime change, I'm ok with that. Not seemly for fans of other programs to do so...but that's my POV.

My own sense is they run a pretty darn good, clean program that many schools would give their eye-teeth to have.

I was, however, critical of the leading participation in ER, not specific to the program but rather that I felt it was awful for the youth. I was bit sharper in my critique of the relative lions of the game who participated in the vanguard of that ever earlier progression than I was Breschi, because I felt they had the gravitas to drive rule changes. We had to wait for the women's side to finally get that done! But Breschi was indeed one of those pushing hardest ever earlier.

Whatever the reason for the minute differences between a Top 10 expected contender and one which breaks through to multiple F4's and championship wins, I'd just say that they perennially have a really tough teams to beat. In 2016 they "over performed" and in other years we could say they did not.
No, but it’s an Internet message board and everyone here is discussing UNC’s performance, so I thought I’d chime in. I also don’t think anything I’ve said is particularly critical. The results are what they are. They aren’t a perennial F4 program in a conference/with common opponents who are perennial F4 programs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If only maryland had that problem…hop has one final four since 2008…
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

dude.......what gives......if you can't see the mixed messaging in this rant, seek help. All the blue words are yours. All of them. you just criticized coach Breschi, for ER on the UNC thread. Which you just told us was "unseemly" behavior. Place just is weirdo land.......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:06 pm
I loved Chris Gray in high school. Stuck with his BU commitment despite big schools coming after him late.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:06 pm
I loved Chris Gray in high school. Stuck with his BU commitment despite big schools coming after him late.
If only Ben Reeves had done the same…
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:08 pm

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

dude.......what gives......if you can't see the mixed messaging in this rant, seek help. All the blue words are yours. All of them. you just criticized coach Breschi, for ER on the UNC thread. Which you just told us was "unseemly" behavior. Place just is weirdo land.......
Reading comprehension, RRR.

I'm not your enemy. You don't need to follow me wherever I post.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:08 pm

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

Reading comprehension, RRR.

I'm not your enemy. You don't need to follow me wherever I post.
Specifically read this thread b/c YOU aren't on it.......but, sometime you both gotta pee at the same time. Stay weird......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

No, but it’s an Internet message board and everyone here is discussing UNC’s performance, so I thought I’d chime in. I also don’t think anything I’ve said is particularly critical. The results are what they are. They aren’t a perennial F4 program in a conference/with common opponents who are perennial F4 programs.
Sorry, I was really intending this more broadly than just you. It's my personal POV that these school-specific threads are where the alums, parents of players, etc go to see news about their program.

For clarity, my critiques of Breschi re ER had always been on the ER thread on LP dealing with such, not on a UNC thread. It's simply a fact that he was a leading participant. To the extent that made selections more difficult in that era, that would be the only context relevant to this particular discussion...but I think the whole discussion would be better on a non school specific thread in which such was discussed about all schools.

That is, unless UNC alums/fans want to discuss it here.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm No, but it’s an Internet message board and everyone here is discussing UNC’s performance, so I thought I’d chime in. I also don’t think anything I’ve said is particularly critical. The results are what they are. They aren’t a perennial F4 program in a conference/with common opponents who are perennial F4 programs.
Agreed. Personally, I'm as curious what separates MD's and UVA's success from UNC's relatively dampened success as I am about successes between Nike and Under Armour or... any similar entities within a competitive environment. I find it interesting. With that said, I think often, and have for years, for decades, about why MD, UVA, and Duke shine while others shine less so. Though I can't prove this, whether you're looking at US car manufacturers or D1 Men's lacrosse, corporate culture plays no small role...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:39 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm No, but it’s an Internet message board and everyone here is discussing UNC’s performance, so I thought I’d chime in. I also don’t think anything I’ve said is particularly critical. The results are what they are. They aren’t a perennial F4 program in a conference/with common opponents who are perennial F4 programs.
Agreed. Personally, I'm as curious what separates MD's and UVA's success from UNC's relatively dampened success as I am about successes between Nike and Under Armour or... any similar entities within a competitive environment. I find it interesting. With that said, I think often, and have for years, for decades, about why MD, UVA, and Duke shine while others shine less so. Though I can't prove this, whether you're looking at US car manufacturers or D1 Men's lacrosse, corporate culture plays no small role...
Umm...you call almost 50 years between championships.....shining? ;) but we know what you mean.

Maryland had it's own issues, and kudo's to Tillman for figuring out he, or his decisions, were part of the problem.

How many of those 6 loses, or was it 7, during UNC's 2016 championship run season, were to tournament teams ? exactly

One of the two CAA teams that womped on the tar heels shoulda gotten their bid.....but alas......the RPI/SOS ghouls.......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm

I dunno.

Are you a UNC alum?

those perennial f4 programs save umd have largely disappeared since duke's last champ if we pick a more recent date. so, it's showing breschi's improved performance?
in 6 full years, we have:
duke: 3 ff's, one a tight final, one choke job semi and one blowout semi, all in the last 3 years after being absent for 3.
uva: 2 final 4s including taking it all both times after years of missing ff.
nd: 1 final 4 back in 2015, tight champ loss. not seen since.
syr: witness protection program.
unc: 2 ffs, 1 championship & a tight semi loss last year.

doesn't really seem out of line. i'd take it 2nd. years prior weren't as good, they're getting better? what have you done for me lately used to be a thing.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

A while back, I created a spreadsheet which looks at the end-of-season rankings of every relevant D1M team since 2005 with a weighting of 100% for the most recent season (2021), 90% for the previous season (2019), 80% for 2018... 10% for 2011 and every year before 2011. In the name of full disclosure, I didn't love the rankings for most of these years (which is why I created my own ranking system which replaced the old ranking system in the more recent years and will continue to do the same going forward) but even for the rankings I didn't love, they were off but not so off. The results of this experiment is (below) and I took it upon myself to bold some of the teams we're discussing within this thread, including UNC.

1 umd
2 duke
3 nd

4 syr
5 denver
6 loyola
7 uva
8 yale
9 unc
10 jhu
11 cornell
12 tows