THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by steel_hop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:08 pm
I think the more interesting challenge for Hopkins men's lax recruiting has more to do with the female quotient/social scene, along with the attractions of big-time sports. But you play the hand you're dealt.
It is hard to get kicked out of almost any school. Hopkins has plenty of gut majors and classes out there. It had the 25 years ago, it has them now. One only has to know where to look. And, I am sure upper class players guide the lower class guys. Hopkins lax players all seem to have good jobs when they get out of Hopkins. Not saying everyone is successful but that is true at any school. Academic issues and other reasons for kids not remaining at schools happens to all of the programs - see Garnsey at ND this spring. We just seem to think it happens more at Hopkins because we are more in tune with that program. DI is certainly at a different level but if the other athletes at Hopkins seem to some how make it through school (at Margaff's funeral it seemed like every other guy was a doctor), the lax guys can too.

As for female quotient at Hopkins, there are now more women at Hopkins than men (I think it flipped a few years ago). But, even 20 years ago, lax guys had a breadth of options that many of your average Hopkins bros didn't. If you are a Lax player it is still a target rich environment given the proximity Loyola, Towson, Goucher, Stevenson a/k/a Villa Julie and good ole CONDOM. They are still young men and I'm sure they no were to go looking to meet girls.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

While maybe not in the best mental state.....did I really notice some fairly poor officiating in the Delaware game? Really, a cross check, deliberate in my book, to the HEAD warrants only a 1 minute unneccessary, releasable ? What the heck.

And, some of those 4th quarter penalties on Delaware........suspect to say the least.

pgct.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 pm
It's not at all an accurate perception re the Ivies.
IMO, there is no question that overall academics are tougher at Hopkins than say, Yale or Brown or UVa/UNC. Brown and Yale have two of the highest mean GPA's in 3,000 undergrad colleges; both run on the 'Gentleman's B-' for a low grade. (Brown in particular, awards more A's than B's; C-efforts students will just take a class Pass/Fail..) Contrast that with the STEM gunners at The Hop.

In this case, perception is reality.
Are there any "STEM gunners" on the lax team at Hopkins?
one? two?

You really think that even in STEM it's easier to be at Yale? Really??

Yes, re UVA/UNC, given their in-state admissions...even more so for UNC.

But this is a Hopkins thread and I have no desire or intent to be in the slightest bit insulting of Hopkins. I have family members who graduated from undergraduate and/or grad schools, and I employ several grads from various schools. I'm joining an advisory BD at the Whiting School, I've guest lectured in both undergraduate and graduate classes on the Homewood campus and at the Carey School. I've enjoyed my experiences and the young people I've met.

Great school!

We were simply talking about perceptions and reality, for lax players.

I think the more interesting challenge for Hopkins men's lax recruiting has more to do with the female quotient/social scene, along with the attractions of big-time sports. But you play the hand you're dealt.
You need to get out more, MDlax.......or at least get the Rosetta stone "sarcasm" program. Try watchin or listening to Joe Rogans podcasts.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 am On the reply I watched, Ryan Boyle was 1000% spot on when he spotted the defensive panic when Jones got trapped on Kitchen behind the goal. It's like the defense blew a fuse "Danger Will Robinson, Danger". Maintain some integrity fellas. Oh wait, it's 6'4" 215 and 20 goals against 5'7" 170 - maybe it was time to panic.
You are talking about the tying 8th goal. Or was it a different time. You could see the panic on that 8th goal. I diagnosed it about 20 seconds before the scored. I told my son "watch, Delaware is about to get an easy 5-6 yard, wide open shot." He didn't believe me. After the goal, I told that is typical Hopkins at some point, usually 2-3 times a game, Hopkins will make defensive decisions that are baffling that will result in guys being wide open. Some of their decisions behind the cage and GLE are mystifying. They want to give help way too early at some points at GLE and slightly above when it is clear an offensive player is moving away from being in a dangerous position when the help comes which results in leaving a guy wide open.

Darby had a decent game but the 5th goal was a bad goal. He has to know where the ball can only go to score. It's not spinning right switching to his right and placing the ball in the upper left corner - at least with any true velocity. If beats you there, he beats you there. If he tries to ping that upper right corner he's more than likely going to send the ball past the cage. But, 95% of the time that ball is only going into the upper right.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 am While maybe not in the best mental state.....did I really notice some fairly poor officiating in the Delaware game? Really, a cross check, deliberate in my book, to the HEAD warrants only a 1 minute unneccessary, releasable ? What the heck.

And, some of those 4th quarter penalties on Delaware........suspect to say the least.

pgct.
the only real missed call was the helmet to the head by the Hopkins defender in the 4th quarter. The calls on Delaware were fine, he swung at him 4 times on the back check and was no where near the stick. I can see getting away with it a couple of time but not 4 times. That was an easy call for the ref to make.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 am Hopkins did not start using curve grading until relatively late. It only switched when some of its best students started to get rejected from grad schools because of grades e-cards other schools were inflating. It became indefensible to remain a C curve kind of school. Schools were being featured on 60 minutes firvrge enervation of their GPAs.

Hopkins is unique in that it is a research oriented university at the undergrad level. It’s premed and natural sciences programs can be brutal. It’s social sciences programs are demanding too. It was not without its warts

My freshmen year I enrolled in two courses taught by faculty from SAIS. At the start of both classes freshmen were advised to think twice because we didn’t have any academic preparation. Most of us stayed. All of us got Cs.

I was accepted by two Ivies, three ACC schools. One Ivy I didn’t apply to. One of my classmates was accepted into Harvard Law without applying. He was a physics major who took the LSAT just for the heck of it. Perfect score. Voila, contact.

Eisenhower regretted never being able to get a law school established. Doubt Michael is reading this bit a nice donation could get it done. The alumni directory is a potent attractor for some if not all the Ivies. I have seen what it can do. At Hopkins it’s useful for you field, and I may be out of contact here, but it doesn’t have the scope of many of the Ivies or schools like Washington and Lee to pick one. I think that is evolving. It’s. fund easing until recently was substandard. I recall asking why Chicago didn’t have an alumni office. It does now. A lot of undergrads from the area. It’s evolving rapidly in recent years., it was not the best school for me imo. I probably should have gone to the Ivy. There was no sense of community when I was there. They are making strides. Oddly enough lax attendance was stronger then. Perhaps because there was nothing else. Gates would open at noon and games started at 2:00. Time to share consumables and form friendships. I recall having the max limit of two brownies. Game over. We couldn’t move. Stayed until about 6:00. The only missing ingredient in the brownies was flour
"Consumables"?????

"brownies"????????

Main ingrediants produced by the Ag school down rt. 1 no doubt.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:15 am
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 am While maybe not in the best mental state.....did I really notice some fairly poor officiating in the Delaware game? Really, a cross check, deliberate in my book, to the HEAD warrants only a 1 minute unneccessary, releasable ? What the heck.

pgct.
the only real missed call was the helmet to the head by the Hopkins defender in the 4th quarter. The calls on Delaware were fine, he swung at him 4 times on the back check and was no where near the stick. I can see getting away with it a couple of time but not 4 times. That was an easy call for the ref to make.
OH.....you talking about the "flop" that the Hopkins player took? Being completely serious, who is teaching the flop and drop technique? (player being hit essentially throws their stick in the air and then lying "motionless" on the ground. Way to sell it.

But, specifically talking about the love tap slash that #3 got. (Tucker Durkin hacks it was NOT) Plenty of other "non" calls. No matter. Hopkins is STILL relevant ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am I don't think it was odd that his replacement scored the go ahead goal.
This is incorrect—Keogh replaced Epstein at attack, not Smith.

When Smith scored, it was after he came on during his usual midfield run. Keogh had already been on the field playing attack on the righty wing/behind the goal for the prior three or four possessions. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice goal (at least someone on these team knows how to shoot low) and a much-needed one from a junior captain. But it wasn't Epstein's replacement.

Re: academics at Hopkins, a lot of the players have not declared majors but this is the breakdown by discipline:

17 Econ
6 Poli Sci
3 Sociology
3 International Studies
2 Public Health
1 Biology (Blondell)
1 Civil Engineering (Darby)
1 "Medicine, Science, and the Humanities," which is an interdisciplinary humanities-based major
1 Business, even though I'm pretty sure it's just a minor unless that's changed recently

So with the caveat that some guys remain undeclared, you've got 2 STEM majors—the goalie, and a backup LSM.

Don't get me wrong—econ and poli sci are not easy at Hopkins, but they're not exactly curing cancer either. If they do the readings and study like they're supposed to, they all do just fine. It helps when so many of them have taken the same classes. There's always some academic incident once in a blue moon—that is not unique to Hopkins, just go ask our friends in South Bend, but in general the Hopkins lacrosse teams, men and women, do well academically. The graduation rate is very good. It's tough—they know that, some of them WANT that—but not inordinately so.

Quint with some news about Virginia and Navy in his top 20 this week:
#WeWantMore plays Virginia is next (March 23, 6 p.m. on ESPN3). Unless further negotiations occur, these two teams will not play in 2020 — and that annoys me. Hopkins will renew with Navy but not Virginia. Fans love rivalries. You can't put a price tag on rivalries. We must preserve old-school rivalries in the face of conference loyalties.
That would be such a shame. It's been such a great rivalry for many years.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... four/54022
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am
It is hard to get kicked out of almost any school. Hopkins has plenty of gut majors and classes out there. It had the 25 years ago, it has them now. One only has to know where to look. And, I am sure upper class players guide the lower class guys. Hopkins lax players all seem to have good jobs when they get out of Hopkins. Not saying everyone is successful but that is true at any school. Academic issues and other reasons for kids not remaining at schools happens to all of the programs - see Garnsey at ND this spring. We just seem to think it happens more at Hopkins because we are more in tune with that program. DI is certainly at a different level but if the other athletes at Hopkins seem to some how make it through school (at Margaff's funeral it seemed like every other guy was a doctor), the lax guys can too.

As for female quotient at Hopkins, there are now more women at Hopkins than men (I think it flipped a few years ago). But, even 20 years ago, lax guys had a breadth of options that many of your average Hopkins bros didn't. If you are a Lax player it is still a target rich environment given the proximity Loyola, Towson, Goucher, Stevenson a/k/a Villa Julie and good ole CONDOM. They are still young men and I'm sure they no were to go looking to meet girls.
You make good points steel_hop, but it's tough to compare results of other Hopkins athletes to the lacrosse players as there is a huge difference in the restrictions placed on D3 programs versus D1 with regard to the time commitments of the athletes.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 am Regarding the game:
In the 2nd half, our shooting went cold and their goalie was hot - tough combination. We had plenty of opportunities, even against their zone.

Regarding Hopkins academics vs. Ivies:
I'd guess that Hopkins is generally (not necessarily for lax players) a tougher academic experience given that most everyone is a STEM major. Back when I went, it seems that almost everyone (non-laxer) was either science (pre-med) or engineering. Perhaps that has changed over the decades...
Nope. Still true. AMOF, there is a separate acceptance process to get into the JHU Biomedical Engineering program and not "just another option" within the Engineering School. The major difference between the JHU most of you remember and the present JHU is that it's now ~52% female students.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

This is a quote from Quint's rating of JHU in his Top 20 this week:
#WeWantMore plays Virginia is next (March 23, 6 p.m. on ESPN3). Unless further negotiations occur, these two teams will not play in 2020 — and that annoys me. Hopkins will renew with Navy but not Virginia. Fans love rivalries. You can't put a price tag on rivalries. We must preserve old-school rivalries in the face of conference loyalties.
Is this true? Are the last 70 years now to be considered "a mere dalliance"?
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Quint shook his "grow the game" pom poms for years......and is now boring us with his pretend existence of "rivalries' for a niche sport.

Denver, Loyola.......N$aa recent champions.....who are their big "rivals"?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm Quint shook his "grow the game" pom poms for years......and is now boring us with his pretend existence of "rivalries' for a niche sport.

Denver, Loyola.......N$aa recent champions.....who are their big "rivals"?
Our big rivals are- Hop, UVA, Towson, Duke... possibly even Navy in the PL given their history and significance for the sport
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HowieT3 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm
In the 2nd half, our shooting went cold and their goalie was hot - tough combination. We had plenty of opportunities, even against their zone.

I'd guess that Hopkins is generally (not necessarily for lax players) a tougher academic experience given that most everyone is a STEM major. Back when I went, it seems that almost everyone (non-laxer) was either science (pre-med) or engineering. Perhaps that has changed over the decades...
Nope. Still true. AMOF, there is a separate acceptance process to get into the JHU Biomedical Engineering program and not "just another option" within the Engineering School. The major difference between the JHU most of you remember and the present JHU is that it's now ~52% female students.
As a JHU Class of 2020 Dad, your current second-hand experiences might be more relevant than any of our hazy recollections. Best wishes to you and (IIRC from LP) your daughter (especially your daughter and not you on Saturday). Have you had your .sig for three years already?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

HowieT3 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Wow! I think we were about 30% female back in the day.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

viper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

You make good points steel_hop, but it's tough to compare results of other Hopkins athletes to the lacrosse players as there is a huge difference in the restrictions placed on D3 programs versus D1 with regard to the time commitments of the athletes.
Not really. When I was there in the 90s for football, in-season (when you can the minute you walk into the building until walk out) you were looking at 22-35 hours depending on whether it was an away game. Out of season, it was probably a comparable amount 10-15 hours. You can't really slack off on lifting, running and training. You are either doing it or your not. Maybe there was a slightly more time involved but not much given the number of doctors Hopkins other athletic programs pumped out v. the lax program. Let's be honest, no one, outside of Paul Rabil, makes a living playing lacrosse after Hopkins.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

So suddenly, getting paid $250k- $150k to coach a niche sport, part time, isn't making a living? (Is it just two Hopkins grads that are Coaching college lacrosse? Marr/Petro )

If I get one more email from Boland, Goodrich, etc. too........
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:13 pm So suddenly, getting paid $250k- $150k to coach a niche sport, part time, isn't making a living? (Is it just two Hopkins grads that are Coaching college lacrosse? Marr/Petro )

If I get one more email from Boland, Goodrich, etc. too........
He very clearly used the word "playing." Last time I checked, Petro is not suiting up on gamedays, though we could probably use him.

Steel_hop did however forget Kyle Harrison, who like Rabil has made a pretty good living for himself entirely through playing + sponsorships/endorsements + camps/clinics + etc. No coaching that I'm aware of. Ryan Brown is coaching high school down in Texas now but for awhile after graduation he was going to Rabil/Harrison DIY route. (John Crawley seemed to be doing the same.) Parents know how lucrative these camps and clinics can be. If you're a household name in the lacrosse community, people will pay a pretty penny for you to teach their son how to shoot low to high. That combined with a MLL/PLL salary and the occasional sponsored Instagram post is usually enough to support oneself.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wow - no Hopkins-UVA anymore - what brought that on? Given only 5 ACC schools play and 6 BIG - it can't be conference scheduling getting in the way? That would be a shame. I was there in person for the 4 most impactful games they ever played in the NCAA era - the 1972 title game played at then Byrd Stadium where Pete Eldgredge/Tom Duquette led Cavaliers edged Hopkins with Billy Nolan and Jack Thomas 13-12. Then in 1980 I turned away in horror as Mike Caravana lined up an 8 yard bullet to win it all that nobody could save but somehow Piggy did and Hopkins escaped with a 9-8 Double OT national title. Then in 2003 we all know what Tillman Johnson did in the mud of M&T stadium and then the insanity of the 2005 NCAA semi-final. 4 unforgettable games. I know the Hopkins - Navy series goes back even further but I will miss this more if it cannot be figured out.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

pgct.
Watched the replay yesterday and thought the same thing. Some of these coaches spend a the entire game yelling at refs, and sometimes it seems to pay off.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”