Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:52 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:37 pm Dugenio won 15 faceoffs to Army's 12. The Knights picked up 9 more groundballs. I am not sure that is an area I would be predicting to do very well in.
I have no idea who's going to win the faceoff battle between Loyola and Rutgers but Army has been pretty bad on FOs since Dan Grabher graduated in 2017 — so not sure I'd be boasting about going 15/27 against them. Army's last four seasons as a team:

2021: 46%
2020: 45%
2019: 33%
2018: 49%

Rutgers has not yet faced a good faceoff team to know if their unit is improved from last year. Savio has struggled somewhat so far this season but he seemed to figure something out in the second half against Hopkins.
That's seems better than Loyola's faceoff game so far this season. Watching their first two games, that certainly doesn't look like an area they should be expected to exploit. Same with Hopkins for that matter.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:37 am The Loyola faithful filled the stands on Saturday. It was a great crowd and the students and fans were really into it. I hope the enthusiasm returns this Saturday.

GO HOUNDS!!
Yes, they did! The crowd was amazing!

I probably appreciated it even more because it had been almost two years since taking part in a crowd like that (even a decent size crowd gets lost in the cavernous MD stadium). Of the 3k+ fans in the stands at Homewood, easily 2500 of them were Loyola fans. I loved the "this is a home game" cheer. :D

I hope we have an even better crowd next Saturday for Rutgers.

Post by 1766 »

GreyingHound wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:39 pm
NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:37 am The Loyola faithful filled the stands on Saturday. It was a great crowd and the students and fans were really into it. I hope the enthusiasm returns this Saturday.

GO HOUNDS!!

I probably appreciated it even more because it had been almost two years since taking part in a crowd like that (even a decent size crowd gets lost in the cavernous MD stadium). Of the 3k+ fans in the stands at Homewood, easily 2500 of them were Loyola fans. I loved the "this is a home game" cheer. :D

That seemed like a very impressive travel crowd for Loyola. Hoping for a great atmosphere on Sat.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

1766 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:48 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:39 pm

GO HOUNDS!!

That seemed like a very impressive travel crowd for Loyola. Hoping for a great atmosphere on Sat.
Ridley will be rocking. I can’t wait to be there. Fantastic facility and program
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

1766 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:37 pm Dugenio won 15 faceoffs to Army's 12. The Knights picked up 9 more groundballs. I am not sure that is an area I would be predicting to do very well in.
I have no idea who's going to win the faceoff battle between Loyola and Rutgers but Army has been pretty bad on FOs since Dan Grabher graduated in 2017 — so not sure I'd be boasting about going 15/27 against them. Army's last four seasons as a team:

Rutgers has not yet faced a good faceoff team to know if their unit is improved from last year. Savio has struggled somewhat so far this season but he seemed to figure something out in the second half against Hopkins.
I would like to see savio tie them up more and let the wings help out.

Rutgers is much better than Hopkins. We cannot go 0-3 against the big10

Home opener. Hopefully will have some good Ridley vibes. And there is tailgating
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Quiet thread this week. Team is struggling, but a lot of lacrosse left to be played including the entire PL run...

Big game this weekend
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

There is a reason the Hound's RPI is so high and their SoS is among the top in the nation right now.

So far I'm encouraged by the week over week improvement. The Hounds played well enough to be in the game last week. Three things to improve this week- clean up their shooting, get a little more consistency out of the faceoff, and find THE keeper.

As you said there is lots of lax left to play, and each one is an opportunity. Fortunately, the way things are breaking this year, it appears ANY Loyola OOC win rights the ship.

Noses to the grindstone. Another great day to be a Hound!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:48 pm There is a reason the Hound's RPI is so high and their SoS is among the top in the nation right now.

So far I'm encouraged by the week over week improvement. The Hounds played well enough to be in the game last week. Three things to improve this week- clean up their shooting, get a little more consistency out of the faceoff, and find THE keeper.

As you said there is lots of lax left to play, and each one is an opportunity. Fortunately, the way things are breaking this year, it appears ANY Loyola OOC win rights the ship.

I haven't watched them closely but have always admired Toomey and Van Arsdale. My understanding is that face offs haven't been strong. That doesn't make sense with the best LSM in Mcnulty and a seasoned Face off guy in Savio. What is happening with that? Good luck this weekend. Hoping for the best for you all.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:48 pm There is a reason the Hound's RPI is so high and their SoS is among the top in the nation right now.

Yeah - I believe everyone is seeing the same thing. Huge improvement since the first game. Sally had a much better game, with an Assist to Razamka, and showed me he's going to help this team a lot.

I've got to believe there is some abnormal confluence of factors impacting the Goalies like beams from outer space, a disruption in the force, or some sort of Ghostbusters type of evil doing escaping from somewhere in Maryland. I have no idea.

But this I know. The Head Coach was a Goalie and perhaps knows a thing or two about recruiting goalies who fit his system and helping them grow as players. I could be wrong but I don't think so....

They will continue to get better and so will other teams so they've got to get better really fast and this is going to be a hard test on Saturday.

Hoping for a good crowd at Ridley. Tailgating now?? Maybe that is what has caused this disruption...??
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Savio is a tough kid mentally. I've seen him over the course of his career hit rough patches in games and turn them into hot streaks. He is always on to the "next" which is the perfect mentality for a faceoff guy. The second half against Hopkins was a perfect example. He and the staff need to recognize a little faster when he's not winning the draw clean and tie up the opponent and wait for the troops. If he's winning clean, let him roll.

I understand why Toomey is switching goalies. I've seen good things from all. They all looked the part of a starting top-tier D1 goalie and made some tough saves. But have missed some gimmes too. None have shown that consistency. IMO, more of that comes from inconsistent play on defense. Sam made some nice saves against UMD where he was tracking the ball well. Then a few palys later, the defense lets some guys walk in to the doorstep OR Wisnauskas have all the time and room he wanted. I think any have the ability to get hot and grab the job. But a lot of that will have to do with the maturing of the defense, and who happens to be the guy "in the moment." At Hopkins the defense looked better, albeit agaisnt lesser talent. Rutgers will be an opportunity for someone to step up. Hoping it all comes together.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Have to expect a 10-9 kind of game. While RU has the reputation for getting up and down the field, they've been more methodical this year and relied on their defense. As with previous Loyola games, Loyola's success will come down to whether or not the offense can win one-on-one match-ups. Felix is a good defender. Their shorties are generally pretty good and athletic. I think Kirst is the best goalie in the nation...but some think I'm off on that!

Loyola might be well served to actually step on the gas this week. It seems that playing against RU's set defense is much tougher this year than the last 2.

Of course, if your goalies can't get anywhere close to 50%, it won't really matter.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:15 pm Have to expect a 10-9 kind of game. While RU has the reputation for getting up and down the field, they've been more methodical this year and relied on their defense. As with previous Loyola games, Loyola's success will come down to whether or not the offense can win one-on-one match-ups. Felix is a good defender. Their shorties are generally pretty good and athletic. I think Kirst is the best goalie in the nation...but some think I'm off on that!

Loyola might be well served to actually step on the gas this week. It seems that playing against RU's set defense is much tougher this year than the last 2.

Of course, if your goalies can't get anywhere close to 50%, it won't really matter.
I expect low scoring. Rutgers defense is tracking to be better than it has in the past. Throw Kirst in net and you have the equation for a very sound defense...

I like the ideas of the hounds trying to get out after in in transition to create some extra opportunities. But I would caution as if you get in a track meet with Rutgers, the have the horses at SSDM to expose you fast. This year most teams are in full retreat mode and slowing guys like Kamish(the Rutgers one) and Coyne...but if you let them run with Russo and Rall...it can be an issue

I think Loyola has to get immediate better goaltending and the Loyola veterans and 5th year guys need to take over...when you’re in a drought, you need leadership to pull you through. I think this is a perfect stage for Savio, McNulty, Olmstead, and Lindley to have big games...they need to if they plan to beat a very solid Rutgers team

I too see a 10-8/11-10 type score.

Should be a good one
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:24 pm
[...] Poitras (who is hopefully healthy after taking a bad hit late)
I am still haunted by the image of Poitras struggling to limp off the field at the end of the game. He got clobbered on the last play of the game. Anyone know how serious it was? Is he practicing this week?
molo

Post by molo »

Rutgers is not ax good as Maryland—maybe one team is—but they are possibly better than Hopkins. I think the visitors win by about four or five.

Post by 1766 »

loyola2025 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:59 am

I would like to see savio tie them up more and let the wings help out.

Rutgers is much better than Hopkins. We cannot go 0-3 against the big10

Home opener. Hopefully will have some good Ridley vibes. And there is tailgating
Rutgers wings are very athletic. I wouldn't think that is the best tactic. Army, a typically good ground ball team, had 9 less than Rutgers. Much of that was due to the faceoffs.

Post by 1766 »

molo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:53 pm Rutgers is not ax good as Maryland—maybe one team is—but they are possibly better than Hopkins. I think the visitors win by about four or five.
Rutgers is much better than the team that Loyola played last Sat. If they bring that same game on Sat., they will lose by more than 1.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:13 pm Rutgers is much better than the team that Loyola played last Sat.
What makes you say that exactly?

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:07 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:13 pm Rutgers is much better than the team that Loyola played last Sat.
The large number of turnovers Hopkins had, many of which were unforced. Rutgers is unlikely to do that. Hopkins got off only 30 shots and scored 11 goals. I'd bet dollars to donuts Rutgers gets off 40-45 plus. With the goaltenders from Loyola facing more shots, the only question then becomes how many more goals will Rutgers score. Not an area of strength for Loyola from what we've seen so far this season. Hopkins defense didn't look particularly strong.

I don't expect they would play that way again though. It's a home game which will add some juice and Loyola, as bad as they have looked, is bound to put the puzzle together. That could be Sat. They have some good players. I also expect Hopkins to be better come B1G play. To have a competitive game and a chance to win, Loyola is going to have to piece it together though, provided Rutgers continues to progress. Loyola's fogo is going to have to have a good day. Rutgers will score on them if they don't. But this is sports and anything can happen and this is a must win for Loyola. That's why we play the games though. Line it up and get it on.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

1766 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:24 pm
The large number of turnovers Hopkins had, many of which were unforced. Rutgers is unlikely to do that. Hopkins got off only 30 shots and scored 11 goals. I'd bet dollars to donuts Rutgers gets off 40-45 plus. With the goaltenders from Loyola facing more shots, the only question then becomes how many more goals will Rutgers score. Not an area of strength for Loyola from what we've seen so far this season. Hopkins defense didn't look particularly strong.

I don't expect they would play that way again though. It's a home game which will add some juice and Loyola, as bad as they have looked, is bound to put the puzzle together. That could be Sat. They have some good players. I also expect Hopkins to be better come B1G play. To have a competitive game and a chance to win, Loyola is going to have to piece it together though, provided Rutgers continues to progress. Loyola's fogo is going to have to have a good day. Rutgers will score on them if they don't. But this is sports and anything can happen and this is a must win for Loyola. That's why we play the games though. Line it up and get it on.
I think Rutgers is better than Hopkins, but saying Hopkins defense didn’t look particularly strong, in a game where the litany of turnovers you described, plus some woeful clearing, and being dominated on FOs in the 2nd half led to Loyola having a big possession edge and Hopkins held them to 10 goals doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:42 am
1766 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:24 pm

I think Rutgers is better than Hopkins, but saying Hopkins defense didn’t look particularly strong, in a game where the litany of turnovers you described, plus some woeful clearing, and being dominated on FOs in the 2nd half led to Loyola having a big possession edge and Hopkins held them to 10 goals doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny.
Same number of goals Rutgers allowed to Marist's vaunted offense, which just put up a big 4 piece on Richmond last weekend. That was despite Rutgers winning 75% of faceoffs.

Rutgers very well may be better than Hopkins but to state it as fact that they are "much" better — especially considering what happened the last time they played each other, along with the strength of the two teams' respective non-conference schedules this season — is pretty rich.

I'd expect a close game on Saturday in Loyola's home opener. They'd be putting themselves in a huge hole with a loss.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”