All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:08 am
Kismet wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 am German Chancellor Scholtz just put a hold on Nordstream 2 pipeline. Seems like a significant move.
Indeed, the best possible signal that the west will stand together.

That they appear more resolved, quicker to act, than even the US is an interesting signal. The UK's sanctions are not remotely as important, but a good step. And ahead of us.

Putin's speech last night should freak out anyone paying attention.

But we're behind in our actions in response.

That may well be a coordinated plan...or not. Hard to tell.
It's not that significant (yet), so long as it still exists. It's just a matter of timing.
Germany retains the option of turning it on, as part of a negotiated settlement.
It's not in use yet. If natural gas flow through Ukraine is disrupted, the EU will be squeezed too.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:03 pm :lol: :roll: opinion-less other than "boo Biden"... :roll:

I don’t even understand Ukraine, tbh, and I’m not exactly sure I even care. It’s okay to admit when you don’t understand things, I swear.

What I do know is Joe is out to lunch.

The dude used to be okay, but his dementia is allowing the lefty nutcases in the administration to nominate non-binary drag-queen furry-role-playing loons for top roles in the Department of Energy. Our adversaries tend to notice stuff like that.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:06 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:08 am
Kismet wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 am German Chancellor Scholtz just put a hold on Nordstream 2 pipeline. Seems like a significant move.
Indeed, the best possible signal that the west will stand together.

That they appear more resolved, quicker to act, than even the US is an interesting signal. The UK's sanctions are not remotely as important, but a good step. And ahead of us.

Putin's speech last night should freak out anyone paying attention.

But we're behind in our actions in response.

That may well be a coordinated plan...or not. Hard to tell.
It's not that significant (yet), so long as it still exists. It's just a matter of timing.
Germany retains the option of turning it on, as part of a negotiated settlement.
It's not in use yet. If natural gas flow through Ukraine is disrupted, the EU will be squeezed too.
Yup, and I think we should anticipate that Germany and the rest of Europe will ease off gas taxes that push their costs at the pump so much higher than ours. We'll likely reduce our own taxes, too.

I think Nordstream is officially dead, won't be resurrected absent a total withdrawal by Putin, and I'm not holding my breath on that one. Remember, Germany never had a choice once we made clear that we'd sanction any bank that did business with anyone moving that gas through that pipeline. Glad to see them move fast, but they really had no choice. Might well have been coordinated.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:03 pm :lol: :roll: opinion-less other than "boo Biden"... :roll:

I don’t even understand Ukraine, tbh, and I’m not exactly sure I even care. It’s okay to admit when you don’t understand things, I swear.

The dude used to be okay, but his dementia is allowing the lefty nutcases in the administration to nominate non-binary drag-queen furry-role-playing loons for top roles in the Department of Energy. Our adversaries tend to notice stuff like that.
yup, "boo-Biden" by a now admitted know-nothing.
And yet you know what "adversaries" "notice"...sure... :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:19 pm Do you realize that Putin's claims includes all the Balkans, Poland and more? Anywhere czarist Russia had ever conquered?
What ? Is that your interpretation or can you show us Putin's words that he's referring to anything beyond the borders of the USSR ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Joe advised everyone, and Putin, that he ain't Putin' up with it, circa: 2019: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaStcJXl71Y/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:13 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 pm

yup, "boo-Biden" by a now admitted know-nothing.
And yet you know what "adversaries" "notice"...sure... :roll:

Russian state television is now broadcasting a long segment about Biden hiring a drag-queen fetishist to supervise U.S. nuclear waste.

Whatever you think about this person's private lifestyle, publicizing it is harming America's image abroad.

https://twitter.com/clintehrlich/status ... 00416?s=21
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:11 pm I think Nordstream is officially dead, won't be resurrected absent a total withdrawal by Putin, and I'm not holding my breath on that one. Remember, Germany never had a choice once we made clear that we'd sanction any bank that did business with anyone moving that gas through that pipeline. Glad to see them move fast, but they really had no choice. Might well have been coordinated.
You may be over-estimating the fortitude of Germany (& Wall Street) to absorb the consequences.
When the shooting stops, the Germans will be anxious to negotiate a settlement.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:19 pm Do you realize that Putin's claims includes all the Balkans, Poland and more? Anywhere czarist Russia had ever conquered?
What ? Is that your interpretation or can you show us Putin's words that he's referring to anything beyond the borders of the USSR ?
I'll google it... ;)

Where do you consider beyond the Soviet Union?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:11 pm I think Nordstream is officially dead, won't be resurrected absent a total withdrawal by Putin, and I'm not holding my breath on that one. Remember, Germany never had a choice once we made clear that we'd sanction any bank that did business with anyone moving that gas through that pipeline. Glad to see them move fast, but they really had no choice. Might well have been coordinated.
You may be over-estimating the fortitude of Germany (& Wall Street) to absorb the consequences.
The question is the US' resolve, not the Germans.

You're correct, IMO, to wonder about our resolve.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:25 pm Where do you consider beyond the Soviet Union?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma ... _names.svg
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Stop the presses, another democrat conspiracy. Idiot republican Faux News host Maria Bartiromo claims the Russian invasion of Ukraine is fake. It is just a democrat conspiracy to distract from the Hillary Clinton - John Durham news. Faux News viewers will believe anything. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:25 pm Where do you consider beyond the Soviet Union?
I don't interpret it as meaning this :

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/m ... mpire-1914
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

okay, so the Balkans, yes, Poland no?

East Germany no?

Here's an easier to read list...but Putin has no limitations and made clear that his view extends to all states formerly subjugated by the Soviet Union and for that matter the Russian Empire...but hey, parse it for him...bottomline, it's up to him, not the sovereign countries formerly recognized as such by Russia and the rest of the world...appeasement has its appeals...temporarily.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi ... viet_Union
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:42 pm

:D but your and my opinion don't matter a hill of beans.

It's whatever Putin chooses to pretend he believes.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Things are getting interesting - Pentagon just announced deployment of 32 Blackhawk attack helos to Poland and Baltic States from Greece and Italy in addition to additional 8 more F-35s also to be deployed into Baltic States from elsewhere in Europe. This in addition to previous deployment of F-35s to Poland and Romania earlier this month

POTUS also met with Ukrainian Foreign Minister in DC prior to his meeting with SoS at State Department and prior to his public statement today.
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:47 pm

You guys need to think like Putin. That's why we're in this mess.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 pm

REUTERS—ICIS analysis data for German supply showed that in Dec. 2021 Russian pipeline gas accounted for 32%

Not refuted yet
What will Germanys resolve be when they're cold and in the dark in a couple weeks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:47 pm

You guys need to think like Putin. That's why we're in this mess.
yup, and my take is that Putin really likes his kleptocracy, wants to be a 'strong man' in Russian history...and doesn't want to end as some have suspected to have gone out...in fact, Putin may actually know those answers...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 pm

REUTERS—ICIS analysis data for German supply showed that in Dec. 2021 Russian pipeline gas accounted for 32%

Not refuted yet
What will Germanys resolve be when they're cold and in the dark in a couple weeks.
they still have plenty of coal.........
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”