Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ugh, Merrimack over Dartmouth 8-6, Vogt had 21 saves. Hincks 16. Crazy stats.

Merrimack had 10 of the 17 FO's, but Dartmouth had a slight edge in GBs overall, shots and shots on goal. But 18 TO's. And an extremely hot tender stole the game.

Gotta put the ball in the back of the net.

At least that's my takeaway, though someone there may have more insight.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Harvard did put the backup in to start the second half. It just took the announcer about half a quarter to realize it. It their numbers are close (50 and 11), and they look almost the same (6’3” and 5’10”). In his defense, the announcer was calling the game solo which isn’t easy.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Very unimpressed with the legendary facility at Yale. The new building is nice but no bathroom in the stadium, scoreboard stopped working one minute into the game, and I guess the 5 trillion dollar endowment is slipping so they need to charge ten bucks to park?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

wrong thread. Out of practice.....
Last edited by Chousnake on Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:17 pm Harvard did put the backup in to start the second half. It just took the announcer about half a quarter to realize it. It their numbers are close (50 and 11), and they look almost the same (6’3” and 5’10”). In his defense, the announcer was calling the game solo which isn’t easy.
Thanks, you're right!

I was watching the real time stats not the video (I'd have picked up on the difference! ;) :D ) and for a bit, the stats looked like Mullin was still in. They've corrected this in the box score. Glad to see they played all 4 guys.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm Ugh, Merrimack over Dartmouth 8-6, Vogt had 21 saves. Hincks 16. Crazy stats.

Merrimack had 10 of the 17 FO's, but Dartmouth had a slight edge in GBs overall, shots and shots on goal. But 18 TO's. And an extremely hot tender stole the game.

Dartmouth is not good, sorry to say.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm Ugh, Merrimack over Dartmouth 8-6, Vogt had 21 saves. Hincks 16. Crazy stats.

Dartmouth is not good, sorry to say.
February in the snow, first game after two weeks of practice, and yes, we're not at anywhere near the high level aspirations we have for the program.

At this moment, seems to me that Vogt is the hero of that game.
Hincks went 66% which is truly tremendous, but Vogt...yikes.

And if this was Vogt's first time playing this way, I'd say that Dartmouth's shooters were the only problem, but Vogt just saved 23 against BU.

Let's just say, the shooting needs to be better, better looks, and can the shots.
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

Callahan is in his 8th year. At what point does the new AD say enough and start over? Sowell built a strong team. Wilson destroyed it. Towers simply didn’t have what it takes even though I liked him. Callahan has been a total disaster on seemingly every level. Then again, other than football, the Administration doesn’t seem to care much about winning.
molo

Post by molo »

Doesn’t Dartmouth have a requirement that all students must do a study abroad semester? If they do, I applaud them, but preventing lax players from practicing or playing every semester does put the team at a relative disadvantage compared to teams that don’t have the requirement.
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 pm Doesn’t Dartmouth have a requirement that all students must do a study abroad semester? If they do, I applaud them, but preventing lax players from practicing or playing every semester does put the team at a relative disadvantage compared to teams that don’t have the requirement.
Not quite. Sophomore summer meant juniors had to spend one trimester off campus like a summer break. Usually the lax players took the fall off as the season overlaps with winter and spring terms. Some went abroad but it wasn’t required. No question that’s a hindrance, but there are more basic failings with the program.
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks, and I'm glad to hear that an opportunity to have a life changing experience is not deemed a reason for their lack of success on the field. Study abroad can be wonderful even if some decide to stay abroad forever.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Heyward wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:47 pm Callahan is in his 8th year. At what point does the new AD say enough and start over? Sowell built a strong team. Wilson destroyed it. Towers simply didn’t have what it takes even though I liked him. Callahan has been a total disaster on seemingly every level. Then again, other than football, the Administration doesn’t seem to care much about winning.
Although the Dartmouth HC is going into his 8th season, he's only had five full seasons because of the pandemic, so the runway might not be as short as it first appears? Plus, I believe Dartmouth's current AD is an interim through June 2022, so they may want to wait for a new AD to come on board (if the interim AD doesn't become permanent -- the knowledgeable Dartmouth fans/alums on this forum will know best if that's a possibility) to be able to evaluate the HC in the 2023 season. So I guess I'd see at least two more seasons in which the program can build on the momentum of the new-ish indoor practice facility, what seems like improved recruiting with Joe Conner as recruiting coordinator, and a nice start in the shortened 2020 season. But at some point if the Big Green can't get on the board with a league win (admittedly, the Ivy League has been quite strong in recent years), one imagines they might consider their options.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 pm
Heyward wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:47 pm Callahan is in his 8th year. At what point does the new AD say enough and start over? Sowell built a strong team. Wilson destroyed it. Towers simply didn’t have what it takes even though I liked him. Callahan has been a total disaster on seemingly every level. Then again, other than football, the Administration doesn’t seem to care much about winning.
Although the Dartmouth HC is going into his 8th season, he's only had five full seasons because of the pandemic, so the runway might not be as short as it first appears? Plus, I believe Dartmouth's current AD is an interim through June 2022, so they may want to wait for a new AD to come on board (if the interim AD doesn't become permanent -- the knowledgeable Dartmouth fans/alums on this forum will know best if that's a possibility) to be able to evaluate the HC in the 2023 season. So I guess I'd see at least two more seasons in which the program can build on the momentum of the new-ish indoor practice facility, what seems like improved recruiting with Joe Conner as recruiting coordinator, and a nice start in the shortened 2020 season. But at some point if the Big Green can't get on the board with a league win (admittedly, the Ivy League has been quite strong in recent years), one imagines they might consider their options.
Certainly there will ultimately be such consideration, but there's been a sea change in how the lacrosse program is perceived now by the Admin (and we'll have a new President in another year) and within the Athletic Dept (yes, AD Roby is interim, but far superior and we'd anticipate the AD to be much stronger going forward) and most importantly the funding by alums has more than doubled over the past couple of years, we've built a $30+ million indoor facility, and endowed the women's HC position...men's next.

I disagree that "Wilson destroyed it", but certainly he wasn't Sowell. I'd actually say that the Towers hire was the critical mistake, though not making it far more attractive to Sowell to stay certainly was tragic for a program perspective. I think Sowell could have sustained a program that competed into the top 10. Towers felt ok, decent beginning, but when the AHC left for High Point, he tacked awful on his hires, and the culture became toxic from the perspective of the then Admin and AD. Results on the field plummeted.

Callahan has reversed that view of the program, both from the college and the alumni, and has attracted far better assistants, Joe Conner is terrific as AHC, and the rest of the staff has been much upgraded with the greatly increased financial support from the alumni. We need to continue to grow that financial support...money really does buy "better". We haven't had any individual donors yet of the scale of pretty much any of our Ivy peers, though we're doing far, far better than in prior eras. And the College has noticed. We hope the next President and AD will be supportive in ways that simply haven't existed. But alumni are the key.

Though we were poised for a breakthrough season when COVID hit, we just haven't proven sufficiently successful on the field as yet. I think Brendan has considerable runway.

I dunno whether we break through anywhere this year, but it's very, very early in the season. And that was a heck of a goalie performance by Merrimack. But ugh.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Game was played in a snow storm. It was 2-1 at halftime - yes that score is correct. First game out for both teams and considering the weather, the Turnovers should have been high for this game.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Mac's third game actually. and their two losses were to Hofstra by one, and BU by 2 so not exactly a pushover. D as usual looks like it is going to be Dartmouth's strength, and an Ivy win this year wouldn't be a total surprise to me.
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

calourie wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:33 am an Ivy win this year wouldn't be a total surprise to me.
Perhaps true, but what a disappointingly low expectation. Towers never had the talent Wilson inherited, though he probably didn’t have the chops to do much had he had it. Wilson crushed morale on a very talented, though thin roster, culminating with the outrage in the locker room after the Vermont loss. There was little anyone could do to keep Sowell. Economically and socially, the Stony Brook job made too much sense for him and his family. I do believe the view on Callahan is mixed. I know a number of parents and alums (ex-players) who feel very strongly that he was another poor hire. If he’s turned the Admin around, great. Dartmouth alums have almost a cult-like love for the school, so I don’t doubt people wanted Callahan to succeed. But starting with his heavy-handed thinning of the roster in the beginning to the mediocre performances off a greatly diluted schedule, even the most dedicated alums must be losing hope.
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

Heyward wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm
calourie wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:33 am an Ivy win this year wouldn't be a total surprise to me.
Perhaps true, but what a disappointingly low expectation. Towers never had the talent Wilson inherited, though he probably didn’t have the chops to do much had he had it. Wilson crushed morale on a very talented, though thin roster, culminating with the outrage in the locker room after the Vermont loss. There was little anyone could do to keep Sowell. Economically and socially, the Stony Brook job made too much sense for him and his family. I do believe the view on Callahan is mixed. I know a number of parents and alums (ex-players) who feel very strongly that he was another poor hire. If he’s turned the Admin around, great. Dartmouth alums have almost a cult-like love for the school, so I don’t doubt people wanted Callahan to succeed. But starting with his heavy-handed thinning of the roster in the beginning to the mediocre performances off a greatly diluted schedule, even the most dedicated alums must be losing hope.
Agree these kids are hungry- haven't been able to play in 2 years
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

At least according to the pundits, the Ivies have picked right up where they left off in 2020. Four Ivy teams are in the top 20, plus Brown receiving votes. That was exactly the case in the last media poll of 2020. Onward preppy soldiers!!!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The League still hasn't announced where the ILT will be held. For 2020 they had announced Hofstra; I hope they've given up on that idea. Should be announcing it soon.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Heyward wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm
Not yet...alumni giving, parent giving, is way up over the past few years, way ahead this year over last.

I don't know the whole Wilson story as intimately as you apparently do...and I respect your inside perspective with a son on the team at the time, right? I'll take your word on that one. Maybe over a beer someday you'll give me the whole skinny.

I do know that we thought Towers would be a terrific recruiter, though I was a skeptic on the hire at the outset due to his personal behavioral issues that I had observed. And he did actually attract some very nice talent, but he had a bunch of big misses as well. Not enough hits. But the culture problem was really the issue IMO and it got worse with time; I kew quite a few kids and families who were turned off by that.

I had serious hope when Torpey joined, as he was far better recruiter, he was quite good lacrosse coach. But he left and his replacement who I also really thought well of, Schimoler, tragically died.., the staff then got much worse...Danehy was always a problem, there throughout, and got worse as he went on, but McIntee was a total disaster...3 loud mouth knuckleheads IMO...terrible coaching and reinforcing the off field issues.

To be fair, the program really was underfunded relative to our peers...gotta pay guys to get quality, gotta support them with technology, etc. The College wasn't getting it done and the alumni were not happy.

Big difference right now, and we hope that's only getting better as there's regime change coming (I'm not a Hanlon fan and the former AD was never on board really). Whether Brendan is the guy who matures into this role ala a Shay trajectory remains to be seen, but let's not kid ourselves about what happened at Yale. Big money.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”