Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SMAIN

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by SMAIN »

Hope the coaches get the young men outside this week. Big difference between in and out and I would imagine the Colgate game is outside.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Gate game is definitely outside and typical CNY weather.. Forecast is for 31 degrees and an 85% chance of snow. As happy as I am with yday's win, the team needs to clean some things up. Our "starting middies shot 7 for 24, with a couple of goose eggs in there. 3 or 4 times Holtby was hung out to dry with wide open shots right on top of him. Why the defense slides leaving the door open is beyond me. So, a short week with a lot of work. Gate is better than most expect.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

laxpert wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:12 am I'm afraid Lehigh will be penalized more for the loss than Hobart rewarded for the win.
Laxpert, no doubt. St. Joes will probably get more support for their win over PSU. Was it a solid win by the Hawks? Yes, I think ours was a bit more impressive and less expected.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Agree oldbartman...Holtby stood on his head at times and the D had some serious breakdowns. The biggest thing I noticed was the inability of our poles to get the ball off the ground and this led to some good chances for Lehigh. Was excited to see the boys win, but a little surprised at their reaction(a little over the top) as they need to believe they belong. Hopefully the W gives them needed momentum as the early season schedule is brutal.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Madonna apparently was out with a knee injury but should be back soon (hopefully)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No love from IL,
but some love from Quint this week.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Some points in IL poll, but just out of the rankings. Although Lehigh coach gave respect to Hobart after the game, I know they felt playing inside the bubble was a huge advantage for us , although they seemed to have adjusted pretty well. Friday at 5pm will be snow and low twenties for Colgate....sounds lovely.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Bartman wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:27 am Some points in IL poll, but just out of the rankings. Although Lehigh coach gave respect to Hobart after the game, I know they felt playing inside the bubble was a huge advantage for us , although they seemed to have adjusted pretty well. Friday at 5pm will be snow and low twenties for Colgate....sounds lovely.
I'm sitting here in Central New York checking the weather report for Friday: "Watching a potential winter storm. Snow during the morning will transition to snow showers during the afternoon. Hight 29F. SE winds shifting to NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches." That folks, sounds to me like unplayable conditions. Would Colgate every agree to playing on Stiles Field? Or would both sides consider postponing if it's really that bad?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

A guy I know on campus told me that he heard from a player that there are some efforts to bring the Colgate game to the Bubble. What a gift that place is! I don't know if Gate will accept, but I think all teams can use as many out of conference games as possible -- and games that are warm and less injury prone. I know we could benefit from some more tuning up. The team played well against Lehigh (who is better than they've been getting credit for), but we still have lots of work to do, especially on D.
I don't want Hobart to be in the rankings yet. Better for the players to have more to strive for and better for the team to be underdogs. I'd like us unranked through Colgate, Cornell, and Syracuse. if we are ranked after that, then so be it. But in the end, its the NCAA berth that we want, rankings be damned.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

If Hobart has put the option out there for ‘Gate to come play in the dome they would be crazy not to accept.
Who needs to slog it out and potentially have injuries due to terrible conditions in an OOC game?
Doesn’t help either team.
Hopefully the boys aren’t already looking ahead to Cornell and Cuse . Gotta stay in the moment , play’em one at a time .
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

I think the Gate would be cray to accept the dome venue.....advantage Hobart. Play outside in these conditions, advantage Colgate. If the conditions are really bad postpone.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:39 pm I think the Gate would be cray to accept the dome venue.....advantage Hobart. Play outside in these conditions, advantage Colgate. If the conditions are really bad postpone.
I guess I'd look for Colgate to want to postpone and play a midweek game at a later date. But it really does sound like the conditions are going to be unplayable. Given what happened the last time they visited our Dome I can see them not wanting to come back there. Just for the record, I watched 'Gate play High Point and the Raiders looked pretty good. They are a big, strong Patriot League team (those teams typically dwarf NEC teams) and they have the Minicus brothers. They will give us all we can handle, and we'd better not be looking forward to the coming week. I also am not in favor of us being ranked at this point. Need to maintain that underdog role and mentality.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Great read for any upstater/lacrosse junkie:

https://www.justlacrosse.com/22archives ... deegan.htm
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

As Ketch knows I have seen some games at Gate that were single digit, blowing snow affairs. Not sure what this coach will want to do but I bet coming to Geneva is not on.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

No way this game gets moved to Geneva, as kmartin wrote. Could always be changed to a mid-week tilt later on in season given proximity. Will be nice to see another PL bite the dust after we owned that conference back in the early D1 days.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

kmartin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:43 am As Ketch knows I have seen some games at Gate that were single digit, blowing snow affairs. Not sure what this coach will want to do but I bet coming to Geneva is not on.
Yes, there have been some chilly ones over there. I’m set for this one on Friday as well if the game is on.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:25 pm
kmartin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:43 am As Ketch knows I have seen some games at Gate that were single digit, blowing snow affairs. Not sure what this coach will want to do but I bet coming to Geneva is not on.
Yes, there have been some chilly ones over there. I’m set for this one on Friday as well if the game is on.
Just checked weather.com, They're saying 29 degrees with 5-8 inches of snow. If the Gate coach wants to play this game, he's risking a lot of injuries on both teams. Stupid if he does.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Looking like it'll be postponed per @HobartLaxFans
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Remember when the first games started after February break(Winter trimester end) and a training week in FLA and scrimmage week in Balt? That was usually second week in March and that SEEMED early....
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:30 pm Remember when the first games started after February break(Winter trimester end) and a training week in FLA and scrimmage week in Balt? That was usually second week in March and that SEEMED early....
Don't forget to shovel the parking lot.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”