Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by Wheels »

So, with Duke's loss, UVA's one-goal win over High Point, and Maryland's demolition of Loyola...

How far does Maryland drop in the polls? :D :D :D :D
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

We cannot know how good they are until they play ACC teams.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Post by 127205020 »

New season, new team. The past means nothing except for the returning players who have lost to UVA twice. And the new upperclassmen want to join in on the quest. Hang on for a fast ride this year, sports fans!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:07 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:48 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:11 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:31 pm The second midfield is scary. For the first time in forever
6 years. Rotanz (top 5 recruit) and Pat Young (all-american and pro) were better than anyone on this unit, which is very good.
Young wasn’t an AA and Murphy might have more points than Gradinger did all year by the end of the month. Brown and Malever also matched those two last year.

2011 and 12 are the two years where the team went deepest on offense but neither had the high end talent of 16 or 21.

The fact that this years unit already looks like this is what makes them so encouraging. 2016 and 21 took time. Depth already evident here.
That's funny, you are correct that Young was not an All-American, but his official PLL bio sure is wrong. Either way, he came to MD with 86 goals already and Rotanz was the #3 recruit right behind Rambo. You can argue that's not a better 2nd than this year or whatever, but you can also easily argue that it is. Either way, this year's group looks fantastic and Brennan could end up like Bryan Cole level great.
Pat Young is a Trenton, New Jersey native where he attended Christ Church School. While playing at the University of Maryland, Young was a 2x First Team All-American and the 2013 America East Conference Rookie of the Year.
Lol, they meant First Team America East, which he was at UMBC, but not at MD, where he played 1 year. Funny.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Maryland is a great team that can go unbeaten They are loaded and will win the natty in 2022.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

On another Maryland site, someone close to one of Maryland's top 6 on offense said that the Terps have yet to run a set play through 2 games (obviously, not talking about EMO). Wow.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:37 pm On another Maryland site, someone close to one of Maryland's top 6 on offense said that the Terps have yet to run a set play through 2 games (obviously, not talking about EMO). Wow.
They ran the pass down/slip down from Wisnauskas to DeMaio that they run a lot (ND GWG) against HPU, also the Long wing dodge/Maltz goes in motion around GLE, skip pass for a goals against Loyola (opening goal last year vs UVA), and a few goals out of 2-2-2 sets.

Maybe those don’t qualify as “set plays” per se but definitely have run quite a few of their most common patterns.

However, as a whole the offense is constant movement, off ball and passing and zipping it around till they find the look or someone beats their man off the dodge. It’s so fluid and so constant. Never stops.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Benson is quickly becoming one of my favorite Terp coaches because this offense he’s installed (or iterated on I guess) is just so fun to watch. So much ball movement, unselfish. Got to have the buy in from the players to run it but it’s pretty clear he has it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:37 pm On another Maryland site, someone close to one of Maryland's top 6 on offense said that the Terps have yet to run a set play through 2 games (obviously, not talking about EMO). Wow.
set plays are garbage, scoutable, and for coming out of timeouts.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Little strong w garbage, out of bounds plays are good w little on clock. Or, if your stagnant on offense for a change of pace. It’s a little old school. But it’s fine in situations.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:09 pm Benson is quickly becoming one of my favorite Terp coaches because this offense he’s installed (or iterated on I guess) is just so fun to watch. So much ball movement, unselfish. Got to have the buy in from the players to run it but it’s pretty clear he has it.
The impact he hasn’t had yet that I still can’t wait to see is on the EMO. Hopkins EMO was so deadly his last 6-7 years there and they ran some stuff that was truly just not stoppable. Last year was probably hard to install much of it and this year not many chances so far. With how strong the offense has looked after an offseason with him, the EMO could be tasty.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Can’t decide where to watch UMD Syracuse lacrosse game … Boatyard in Eastport with crab soup and Crabcake sandwich .. or Home in Adamstown in the shadow of Sugarloaf mtn East and Catoctin Mtn west with Chaps Baltimore style pit beef carry out. Gotta love Maryland.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

To Area, Zack,Ktown,Pulp,Wheels et al Thanks for the posts over the years! As an old guy who only knew about threads on clothes, following you guys gives me good info that I can’t find anywhere about my favorite team MD Lax. Over the last 12 years I’ve had the time to go to all home games and many away games too. Not a player just a fan who attended his first game in 1976 at Byrd against Navy in an almost perfect season…I happen to work with a Cornell guy who played there and reminds me. Go Terps! I’ll be in the Dome
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Bubba and Tills talking about Bubba SSDM role this season

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaDV_DkPkl9 ... =copy_link

MDralpnie - enjoy the game. Wish I could see it live.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MDralphie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:58 pm To Area, Zack,Ktown,Pulp,Wheels et al Thanks for the posts over the years! As an old guy who only knew about threads on clothes, following you guys gives me good info that I can’t find anywhere about my favorite team MD Lax. Over the last 12 years I’ve had the time to go to all home games and many away games too. Not a player just a fan who attended his first game in 1976 at Byrd against Navy in an almost perfect season…I happen to work with a Cornell guy who played there and reminds me. Go Terps! I’ll be in the Dome
I'll be there, too! Go Terps!
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Never been to the Dome for a game. I usually like to sit higher up but thought I’d get closer so my wife and I can let our big mouths roar. However, might be sitting in a sea of orange! Oh well! Tried to stay at a Hotel on campus but all filled. Gonna be a lot of fans there. Hope to see some red although I wish they break out the black and go medieval on them! For me beating Cuse is right up there with Hop,Denver, ND, Buckeyes, Duke and Va.
If anybody has a recommendation on a great spot for a proper cocktail and food do tell.

Post by 127205020 »

Heard it's gonna be an all-black day. Please dress accordingly!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDralphie wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:49 am Never been to the Dome for a game. I usually like to sit higher up but thought I’d get closer so my wife and I can let our big mouths roar. However, might be sitting in a sea of orange! Oh well! Tried to stay at a Hotel on campus but all filled. Gonna be a lot of fans there. Hope to see some red although I wish they break out the black and go medieval on them! For me beating Cuse is right up there with Hop,Denver, ND, Buckeyes, Duke and Va.
If anybody has a recommendation on a great spot for a proper cocktail and food do tell.
not sure what your timing is, but it's an early game.
here's some spots that are semi-near campus but not all walkable:
https://collegeweekends.com/15-must-eat ... niversity/#/
i'd recommend funk and waffles pregame and avoid dinosaur on any time budget on a saturday, it'll be packed and slow.

post or maybe pregame marshall street (if open?) is college hangout area closer but armory square might be more the thing, lot of options there.

if sticking for dinner probably would recommend when in rome -- find an italian joint. francesca's, joey's, delmonica's, angotti's, spaghetti warehouse are several. there's a bunch.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Thanks! I was hoping black uni’s. Will be in black Md lacrosse gear. Over the years when the kids didn’t know what to get for presents…buy me Terp Lax gear! Got some reservations. Everyplace packed. Made .. Delmonico’s, going to try Pastabilities no reservations, Vito’s, most booked. Arrive Saturday early evening AARP dinner leave Monday morning. My Big Red co worker said he watched Curry from last week Holy Cross game “best Mid in NCAA”my response Geppert! Big spot for #20.
Had business with a neighbor of Puglise today and was told of his workouts with another neighbor with Special Force/Seal background. Tough stuff! No wonder he said no go to ND Dobson last year when he thought he was gonna run over #8
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Usually donning No. 4 Malever will wear No. 11 as tribute to JohnZulberti, who mentored Malever down in Atlanta both on and off the field from the moment he picked up a stick.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”