All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

Kellyanne,

My position is these are emergency powers that may be used - doesn't mean that they will all be used. Canada under normal conditions is more protective of civil liberties than is the US. Their only effective response is what they are doing. They have a problem with the form of their laws, which I suspect will be corrected in the not too distant future, so such action is not needed in the future. Clearly declaring a state of emergency is a little much for such a situation. They have far more power now than they need or will use.

You would be absolutely just fine with all of this if this was BLM. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:37 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am No reason given, but in reality the truckers are basically shutting down the city now for days. The price for civil disobedience has always been the exposure to jail, court, fines, etc.

And it is Canadian law, politics, etc. that make the situation there somewhat different than in the US. The level of support for the protesters is rather small...so there is little pushback in Canada with getting tough and removing the truckers by certain means beyond what you might see in the US.
Not just days, weeks. Affecting peoples' livelihoods, supply chains, and regional economies.

Lots of rights go bye bye when criminals create a state of Emergency.

And don't forget there are actual Nazis with Nazi flags in the convoy.

Today, we are concerned when protests ‘affect people’s livelihoods’. Good to know.

Out of curiosity, is your right to your personal checking account gone if you happen to contribute to a fund that supports demonstrators, whereby the state can simply seize your funds without presenting any evidence to a court? Just call the bank and say, ‘hey, seize the funds available in that guys account and wire the proceeds to us’.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am No reason given, but in reality the truckers are basically shutting down the city now for days. The price for civil disobedience has always been the exposure to jail, court, fines, etc.

And it is Canadian law, politics, etc. that make the situation there somewhat different than in the US. The level of support for the protesters is rather small...so there is little pushback in Canada with getting tough and removing the truckers by certain means beyond what you might see in the US.
Not just days, weeks. Affecting peoples' livelihoods, supply chains, and regional economies.

... it is certainly true that there are folks among the truckers in this action (not all) who are not the least bit interested in mandates, vaccines, masks or protection of freedoms.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:47 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:37 amNot just days, weeks. Affecting peoples' livelihoods, supply chains, and regional economies.

Today, we are concerned when protests ‘affect people’s livelihoods’. Good to know.

Out of curiosity, is your right to your personal checking account gone if you happen to contribute to a fund that supports demonstrators, whereby the state can simply seize your funds without presenting any evidence to a court? Just call the bank and say, ‘hey, seize the funds available in that guys account and wire the proceeds to us’.
So you're now supporting criminals who create a state of emergency? You're against the rule of law?

Can you show me where the Canadian government is actually seizing funds vs freezing them?

Let's check on Florida's ripe red government stance regarding seizing funds without due process in civil asset forfeiture...

Florida leads nation with $266 million in property seizures by law enforcement, study finds

Whoops...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

In a state of Emergency?
Or just because you don't like the other side on a protest?

Obviously, this is a very, very slippery slope and we should not want to ever see conditions under which this sort of action would even be considered.

Let's first admit that this was not a riot with some businesses burned down in a limited area (incredibly serious as that is), but rather an extended interruption of an entire economy. Not a march and loud voices but an intent to shut down an economy.

But let's put the scale aside and simply stick with the riot level for a moment, would you agree that it's qualitatively (and potentially legally) different to provide help for bail and legal defense.... compared to providing the funds for people to travel to the riot with the intent to riot and burn? Or to pay for the kerosene with which to light the fires? Or to pay for the bomb materials, or the guns?

See my question...at what point does "financial support" crossover into complicity with the illegal act?

Petey,
I avoided any comparison of the relative righteousness of the protests of the summer of 2020 vs the Canadian trucker protest of 2022. And I put aside the large scale of the impact of the trucker protests versus the very small number of actual protestors, all of whom doing the major damage intentionally, and by comparison, the enormous number of peaceful protestors doing no damage versus the few who were doing damage in 2020. I put that aside.

And I went right at the concept of rioters burning buildings, differentiating between financial support for legal defense and bail with financial support paying people to riot, with the intent of the damage. If someone buys the kerosene, the bombs, or the guns or pays people to destroy, they are complicit and subject to consequences of that complicity.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:41 am Kellyanne,

My position is these are emergency powers that may be used - doesn't mean that they will all be used. Canada under normal conditions is more protective of civil liberties than is the US. Their only effective response is what they are doing. They have a problem with the form of their laws, which I suspect will be corrected in the not too distant future, so such action is not needed in the future. Clearly declaring a state of emergency is a little much for such a situation. They have far more power now than they need or will use.

On your last point, you’d be very very very wrong. I want the state to be on bended knee, begging and pleading for any power. I realize how disinterested the state is for outcomes and accountability, in moral suasion and engagement; it is an unaccountable blob, indifferent to your plight it causes. Think how amazed we are when we interact with that one government agency not overtly hostile to the individual or business.

If you are not outraged with what is being done in Canada today via the outrageously unconstitutional abuse of liberties and freedoms,Marne warrant less seizing of bank accounts, you will have no seat at any future table when a guy far worse than Trump assumes power here. That hypothetical guy will simply be the ordained reaction to the chaos enveloping us today. And that guy, whoever he is, won’t be hesitant to do what Trudeau does in Canada, because no one spoke up then when their voices were most needed.

Again, I’d simply suggest that if Trump had suspended civil liberties and simultaneously directed the DOJ to seize any and all accounts of supporters of BLM and Antifa in 2020, taking $30 billion from Soros and $20 billion from Reid Hoffman, or everything in your account, you’d be having a canary then and today.

Simply because Trudeau is in Canada, we assume that what he’s doing can not occur here. It assuredly can and will.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:56 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:37 amNot just days, weeks. Affecting peoples' livelihoods, supply chains, and regional economies.

So you're now supporting criminals who create a state of emergency? You're against the rule of law?

Can you show me where the Canadian government is actually seizing funds vs freezing them?

Let's check on Florida's ripe red government stance regarding seizing funds without due process in civil asset forfeiture...

Florida leads nation with $266 million in property seizures by law enforcement, study finds

Whoops...
... strange you should mention Florida's seizure of funds. They had done that to my company over a paper work error they made having to do with filing of taxes they though were due, but weren't. Finally got that resolved, took 18 months and then deregistered with the state so they couldn't do it again. It became very apparent to me while fighting with that state that these paper work errors were not uncommon and were used on out of state companies as a way to generate "emergency funds" -- zero interest loans at worst for them, or just plain theft if people did not contest it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Whoops...

If you know me, and I think others here will vouch for me, my biggest gripe in the universe is civil asset forfeiture. It is the greatest abuse of civil liberties in America today and keeps piling up innocent lives along the way. I have begged members of my party to make outlawing CAF a signature part of a party platform. The powers that want to keep it are formidable and found in both parties. I’d note that the ones most powerful who want to keep CAF are prosecutors. Be wary of them.

So far as Canadians seizing bank accounts, listen to this scary admission by Trudeaus justice minister, who simply says they will have no problem seizing the funds of anyone who simply sits the other side of their politics, not even criminal actors!

https://twitter.com/breaking911/status/ ... 97797?s=21

“Canadian Justice Minister David Lametti said if you are part of a pro-Trump movement you should be worried that your bank account will be seized." THIS IS BEYOND THE PALE.

If you agree with this, I’m not going to take pity on you when someone does it you, though I will of course be against it.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

If I'm not mistaken, the order is to freeze/seize the assets of the truckers remaining in the protest action.

It does not appear that they're going after the assets of those who are funding them, at least according to this article from 15 hours ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ency-edict

But it's ohh so convenient to cry and exaggerate.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 am If I'm not mistaken, the order is to freeze/seize the assets of the truckers remaining in the protest action.

It does not appear that they're going after the assets of those who are funding them, at least according to this article from 15 hours ago.

You should really hesitate more before posting,

Listen to the justice minister himself, MD

Canadian Justice Minister David Lametti said if you are part of a pro-Trump movement you should be worried that your bank account will be seized.

https://twitter.com/rebelnewsonline/sta ... 67329?s=21
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:02 am

On your last point, you’d be very very very wrong. I want the state to be on bended knee, begging and pleading for any power. I realize how disinterested the state is for outcomes and accountability, in moral suasion and engagement; it is an unaccountable blob, indifferent to your plight it causes. Think how amazed we are when we interact with that one government agency not overtly hostile to the individual or business.

If you are not outraged with what is being done in Canada today via the outrageously unconstitutional abuse of liberties and freedoms,Marne warrant less seizing of bank accounts, you will have no seat at any future table when a guy far worse than Trump assumes power here. That hypothetical guy will simply be the ordained reaction to the chaos enveloping us today. And that guy, whoever he is, won’t be hesitant to do what Trudeau does in Canada, because no one spoke up then when their voices were most needed.

Again, I’d simply suggest that if Trump had suspended civil liberties and simultaneously directed the DOJ to seize any and all accounts of supporters of BLM and Antifa in 2020, taking $30 billion from Soros and $20 billion from Reid Hoffman, or everything in your account, you’d be having a canary then and today.

Simply because Trudeau is in Canada, we assume that what he’s doing can not occur here. It assuredly can and will.
.. me thinks the lady does protest to much. I repeat, you would have been just fine with this behavior if it had been BLM.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 am

.. me thinks the lady does protest to much. I repeat, you would have been just fine with this behavior if it had been BLM.

It’s a free country (still) and you can believe what you want.

I’m a conservative first and foremost because my positions don’t change depending on the actors. If Trump had seized (without any judicial warrant) the accounts of Soros strictly because Soros funded BLM (like Trudeau is doing in Canada now to those who support the truckers), I’d be first in line protesting him and doing what I could to remove him immediately. The reason is, unlike you, I realize we are always next in line to be abused by the state.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 am

Whoops...

If you know me, and I think others here will vouch for me, my biggest gripe in the universe is civil asset forfeiture. It is the greatest abuse of civil liberties in America today and keeps piling up innocent lives along the way. I have begged members of my party to make outlawing CAF a signature part of a party platform. The powers that want to keep it are formidable and found in both parties. I’d note that the ones most powerful who want to keep CAF are prosecutors. Be wary of them.

So far as Canadians seizing bank accounts, listen to this scary admission by Trudeaus justice minister, who simply says they will have no problem seizing the funds of anyone who simply sits the other side of their politics, not even criminal actors!

“Canadian Justice Minister David Lametti said if you are part of a pro-Trump movement you should be worried that your bank account will be seized." THIS IS BEYOND THE PALE.

If you agree with this, I’m not going to take pity on you when someone does it you, though I will of course be against it.
That's actually NOT what he said, though he did use the words "Pro-Trump movement"..."donating hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars to this kind of thing, then you should be worried about it".

Yup, if you're funding a criminal act you become complicit for that act.

So, here's the question....why inaccurately quote the official?
Why make up different words and meaning?

Yeah, we know why.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:13 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 am If I'm not mistaken, the order is to freeze/seize the assets of the truckers remaining in the protest action.

Canadian Justice Minister David Lametti said if you are part of a pro-Trump movement you should be worried that your bank account will be seized.

Factually incorrect.

You quoted him inaccurately in the prior post and are twisting the meaning of his warning. And then you conflate it as if actual action had been taken.

Again, If you pay for the kerosene or bomb or guns knowing the intent to use them then you are complicit and subject to the full force of the law. Don't like it? Fight it in court.

Trolling.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 amSo far as Canadians seizing bank accounts, listen to this scary admission by Trudeaus justice minister, who simply says they will have no problem seizing the funds of anyone who simply sits the other side of their politics, not even criminal actors!

Well you don't seem to be posting all over the DeSantis thread complaining about the government seizing funds and calling him a Nazi...

Also, why do you keep lying about what Canada is doing? He said nothing at all about seizing accounts or assets.
Last edited by NattyBohChamps04 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:25 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 am

Whoops...

That's actually NOT what he said, though he did use the words "Pro-Trump movement"..."donating hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars to this kind of thing, then you should be worried about it".

Yup, if you're funding a criminal act you become complicit for that act.

So, here's the question....why inaccurately quote the official?
Why make up different words and meaning?

Yeah, we know why.

You do everything here to justify the liberal lies. Amazing.

Do you seriously think that this guy restricts his seizures to ‘pro-Trump’ accounts?!? Ayfkm?!? And whats the mention of “pro trump” anyway OTHER than to delineate political differences? Most people. donating to this cause in Canada are anti mandate, not pro Trump. He’s saying that simply to gin up outrage and justification.

There are online now, Twitter and Facebook, hundreds of Canadians claiming their accounts have been seized by TD and RBS. Do you belief they are all lying, MD?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am

I’m a conservative first and foremost because my positions don’t change depending on the actors. If Trump had seized (without any judicial warrant) the accounts of Soros strictly because Soros funded BLM (like Trudeau is doing in Canada now to those who support the truckers), I’d be first in line protesting him and doing what I could to remove him immediately. The reason is, unlike you, I realize we are always next in line to be abused by the state.
... no, you are a Trumpnista culture warrior. :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:26 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:13 am

Factually incorrect.

You quoted him inaccurately in the prior post and are twisting the meaning of his warning. And then you conflate it as if actual action had been taken.

Again, If you pay for the kerosene or bomb or guns knowing the intent to use them then you are complicit and subject to the full force of the law. Don't like it? Fight it in court.

Trolling.

It’s really stunning now you bend over for this outrageous abuse of civil rights. Just amazing. If you recall, these guys are protesting simply against mandates. And no one is burning down innocent stores.

I guess Canadians aren’t feeling your sense of entitled indifference to Lametti’s chilling words.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/tr ... voy-donors

So did he categorically define how much money one could donate without their accounts being seized? Is that in writing? Yes, he said if you’re pro-Trump (in Canada :roll: ) and donated hundreds of thousands, you should be worried, but today, people are being doxxed for $40 contributions, and others with only a couple hundred dollars in their TD bank are waking up to accounts unable to access.

But you’re seeking bs excuses to justify this. Just amazing,
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:31 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am

... no, you are a Trumpnista culture warrior. :lol:

Yeah that’s me, :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Return to “POLITICS”