Lacrosse Analytics

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Lacrosse Analytics

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:18 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:33 am The sports teams with the largest payrolls have analytics departments and use them extensively and it has nothing to do with saving money.
I don't doubt that this is true and when the game is about Ws one would be a fool in not using analytics to help his team win. The downside of analytics, IMO, is that diving too deeply into them and playing the game by what they dictate changes games, and they're not played as they were intended to be. Basketball is played backwards today cuz the analysts tell you to play for the three, not the two. Hoops was intended to be played going to the hoop, not stepping past the half court line and throwing one up, or getting it to the hoop and throwing it out to half court for the shot.
Offense in baseball is pretty tough. 100 mph pitchers. Trying to get wood on that and putting it where the eight players in front of you aren't aint easy, and when the analysts enter the game it's even tougher. People have always "cheated" a little on batters based on where they most often hit but analytics has given a whole new definition to "cheating" on a batter. A lot of the strategy of baseball has been taken out of the game. The long ball rules, swing for the fence, baby!! We don't need no stinkin' bunts.
Not thinkin' analytics has changed lacrosse all that much but the sticks (bags) sure as hell have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good stuff, D. And that’s what I ultimately detest about analytics—it has changed sports for the worse. Your baseball and basketball examples are spot on.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I vote that we eliminate the Lacrosse Analytics thread. Who the heck cares about this nonsense. It is inaccurate, irrelevant and boring. Seems like others agree.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:22 am I vote that we eliminate the Lacrosse Analytics thread. Who the heck cares about this nonsense. It is inaccurate, irrelevant and boring. Seems like others agree.
It stirs some good discussion, though. It will never be eliminated off this board, just like it won't be eliminated from sports. Too far down the road--in both cases.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the top individual EGA performances of the past week. The full post is here, but here are the highlights...

Charlotte North (BC) took the top spot with a 9.78 EGA game against Northwestern. What else is there to say at this point?

Here is how the rest of the top 10 shook out:

Kenzie Sklar (KENT) - 8.16 EGA
Natalie Calandra-Ryan (YOUNG) - 8.40 EGA
Shelby Harrison (JHU) - 7.70 EGA
Lauren Russell (WM) - 7.24 EGA
Ashley Humphrey (STAN) - 7.19 EGA
Katie DeSimone (DUKE) - 6.79 EGA
Dymin Gerow (UMBC) - 6.62 EGA
Delaney Rodriguez-Shaw (DUQ) - 6.89 EGA
Madison Ahern (ND) - 6.54 EGA
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the top individual EGA performances of the past week. The full post is here, but here are the highlights...

For once, Charlotte North did not grab the top spot. That went to Catriona Barry (DUKE) with a 9.02 EGA game. I use a 0-99 Madden-style scale to get a picture of each player's strengths and weaknesses. So far, she's a 99 for individual efficiency, 88 for shooting, 87 for assist rate. For her worst metric, ball security, she still gets an above-average 56.

Charlotte North (BC) - 8.97 EGA
Quinn Nicolai (TEM) - 7.68 EGA
Livy Rosenzweig (LOY) - 7.62 EGA
Karson Harris (DREX) - 7.09 EGA
Siena Gore (KSU) - 7.39 EGA
Belle Mastropietro (TEM) - 7.27 EGA
Dymin Gerow (UMBC) - 6.81 EGA
Deanna Balsama (SDSU) - 6.70 EGA
Danielle Pavinelli (FL) - 6.61 EGA
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Sydney Watson (UCONN) takes the crown with a 9.50 EGA game against UMass-Lowell. The UConn star has actually seen a bit of a drop-off this year in her overall efficiency even as her production has gone up due to a higher usage rate. Will be curious if the Huskies are going to be relying on her more this year, or if the offense just needs some time to settle.

Noelle Boyd (AKR) - 9.22 EGA
Lauren Gilbert (NW) - 7.84 EGA
Sarah Cipolla (WM) - 7.99 EGA
Belle Martire (WM) - 7.89 EGA
Abby Edmisten (PRES) - 7.68 EGA
Sarah Falk (ALB) - 7.43 EGA
Aurora Cordingley (MD) - 7.09 EGA
Julianne Carey (DAV) - 7.35 EGA
Charlotte North (BC) - 7.08 EGA
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

This week's winner played against UMass-Lowell. Now that is credible data, while others battle in the ACC. I've said it before and some may disagree but I don't think this player would even start for UNC or BC. This is the second year in a row an AA middie transfered to UNC and found it incredibly hard to excel. Those 2 AA middies would also light up UMass-Lowell.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:24 pm This week's winner played against UMass-Lowell. Now that is credible data, while others battle in the ACC. I've said it before and some may disagree but I don't think this player would even start for UNC or BC. This is the second year in a row an AA middie transfered to UNC and found it incredibly hard to excel. Those 2 AA middies would also light up UMass-Lowell.
You are right. Often times, a player will have a high EGA score because they played a terrible defense. I'm ok with that; part of the reason for this weekly list is to highlight players who don't get a lot of recognition otherwise. Skipping the opponent-adjustment is a big part of doing that.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Here's my top-20 for Week 4.
lacrossereference_rankings_20220307_NCAAD1Women.jpg
lacrossereference_rankings_20220307_NCAAD1Women.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Emma Vinall (AMU) made her first appearance of the season with an 8.89 EGA game against Gardner Webb. Vinall has been a mainstay on this list in past seasons, but it appears she's been more of the focus for opposing defenses as her play share is down 3 percentage points from last season.

Kerri Gutenberger (MAR) - 8.61 EGA
Siena Gore (KSU) - 7.86 EGA
Belle Mastropietro (TEM) - 7.95 EGA
Blair Pearre (TOW) - 7.73 EGA
Julianne Carey (DAV) - 7.67 EGA
Quinn Nicolai (TEM) - 7.45 EGA
Jenny Kinsey (JAV) - 7.18 EGA
Ava Goeller (CIN) - 7.05 EGA
Nicole McNeely (SIE) - 7.36 EGA
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Through last night's games, here's the Efficiency Matrix for all Division I teams. After adjusting for the quality of the opponents faced, the best teams are up and to the right.

efficiency_matrix_NCAAD1Women_20220312.jpg
efficiency_matrix_NCAAD1Women_20220312.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxreference wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:48 am Through last night's games, here's the Efficiency Matrix for all Division I teams. After adjusting for the quality of the opponents faced, the best teams are up and to the right.

efficiency_matrix_NCAAD1Women_20220312.jpg
That is an interesting chart....
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:13 am Image
:lol:

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”