CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Trinity

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by Trinity »

Trump doesn’t see it as a threat. Small group. Two foursomes, if. Breathe that gas in, America. Even though terrorists are slaughtering innocents and saying Trump inspires them, bragging from the bully pulpit that the tough guys with guns are on his side.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

... just a thought ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 am Trump doesn’t see it as a threat. Small group. Two foursomes, if. Breathe that gas in, America. Even though terrorists are slaughtering innocents and saying Trump inspires them, bragging from the bully pulpit that the tough guys with guns are on his side.
As the board resistance jokeman TLD once said (only thing I've ever agreed with), "bad people do bad things." Does that nugget of wisdom only count for brown people?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am
Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 am Trump doesn’t see it as a threat. Small group. Two foursomes, if. Breathe that gas in, America. Even though terrorists are slaughtering innocents and saying Trump inspires them, bragging from the bully pulpit that the tough guys with guns are on his side.
As the board resistance jokeman TLD once said (only thing I've ever agreed with), "bad people do bad things." Does that nugget of wisdom only count for brown people?
Of course it applies across the board.
Man's capacity for evil is well recognized. So, too, however, is man's capacity to organize to commit evil acts.

Should we take seriously the threat of violence fomented by Islamic extremism? (without ignorantly saying "Islam hates us"); I say yes.

Can't we accurately say that white nationalism is a serious and growing, violent threat? (without saying that white people hate us)?
Why so hard to say that?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am
Man's capacity for evil is well recognized. So, too, however, is man's capacity to organize to commit evil acts.

Should we take seriously the threat of violence fomented by Islamic extremism? (without ignorantly saying "Islam hates us"); I say yes.

Can't we accurately say that white nationalism is a serious and growing, violent threat? (without saying that white people hate us)?
Why so hard to say that?
What's hard is watching the MSM turning this into an "us vs them" situation...exactly what the F'ing lunatic in NZ wants. We're playing right into his hands.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

White nationalist are bad people. Just like extremist of all ilk.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:46 am

Why so hard to say that?
What's hard is watching the MSM turning this into an "us vs them" situation...exactly what the F'ing lunatic in NZ wants. We're playing right into his hands.
I'd happily embrace your sentiment if Fox and the President and his racist cadre weren't so fast to divide us at every turn, "Islam hates us", "invaders", rapists, etc.

Stop apologizing for him.

We otherwise agree that the goal of these violent extremist terrorists (of any stripe) is to gain attention to their ideology of fear and hate. We need to be consistent and even handed in our rejection of those twisted evil ideologies, and vigilant in our support of those unfairly tarred by others simply for their skin color, their country of origin, their religion, etc.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 am
White nationalist are bad people. Just like extremist of all ilk.
I think this is literally true of white nationalists/white supremacists, although just like other perpetrators of evil, individuals within such a movement are capable of redemption. They aren't, however, "good people" until they actually reject such evil ideology.
Most never do.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:54 am

Why so hard to say that?
I'd happily embrace your sentiment if Fox and the President and his racist cadre weren't so fast to divide us at every turn, "Islam hates us", "invaders", rapists, etc. Well of course, you're stating the obvious.

Stop apologizing for him. :roll: Oh BS...leave to you to mention Trump. No one is apologizing for anyone. Try to come up with a new, hopefully accurate angle mdlax.

We otherwise agree that the goal of these violent extremist terrorists (of any stripe) is to gain attention to their ideology of fear and hate. We need to be consistent and even handed in our rejection of those twisted evil ideologies, and vigilant in our support of those unfairly tarred by others simply for their skin color, their country of origin, their religion, etc. Right again, and that includes Omar. Please explain why she is still on the House Foreign Affairs and Education and Labor committees? Wasn't it just last year that jews were slaughtered while praying in Pittsburgh?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:06 pm

Why so hard to say that?
I'd happily embrace your sentiment if Fox and the President and his racist cadre weren't so fast to divide us at every turn, "Islam hates us", "invaders", rapists, etc. Well of course, you're stating the obvious.

Stop apologizing for him. :roll: Oh BS...leave to you to mention Trump. No one is apologizing for anyone. Try to come up with a new, hopefully accurate angle mdlax.

We otherwise agree that the goal of these violent extremist terrorists (of any stripe) is to gain attention to their ideology of fear and hate. We need to be consistent and even handed in our rejection of those twisted evil ideologies, and vigilant in our support of those unfairly tarred by others simply for their skin color, their country of origin, their religion, etc. Right again, and that includes Omar. Please explain why she is still on the House Foreign Affairs and Education and Labor committees?
Absolutely I'm going to mention Fox, Trump and his racist cadre. But sure the list could be longer.

My point is that if you support those who spew the hate they do, on the basis of race, country of origin, religion, you've got a huge credibility problem dismissing white nationalism as more than bad people do bad things, as if it's not a very serious, growing threat around the world and in the USA.

Exactly what's not "accurate"?

Ok, you bring up Omar. I'm very concerned about the ignorance she displayed, the anti-semitic tropes she used. I'd sure as heck hope she is getting an education on the subject and is going to learn and grow. If she doesn't, she should get little leeway going forward.

But where were you on Steve King's years of racist statements? How many chances did he deserve? I'm a Republican and it disgusted me.

Where were you on the "Donald Trump calls for all Muslims to be banned from entering the country"? "Islam hates us"? "we're looking into it" (in reference to what to do with Muslim Americans)?

Obviously, I could go on and on.

But that's the point. Why are you providing cover to this notion espoused by our President that white nationalism isn't a serious threat?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Why so hard to say that?

We otherwise agree that the goal of these violent extremist terrorists (of any stripe) is to gain attention to their ideology of fear and hate. We need to be consistent and even handed in our rejection of those twisted evil ideologies, and vigilant in our support of those unfairly tarred by others simply for their skin color, their country of origin, their religion, etc. Right again, and that includes Omar. Please explain why she is still on the House Foreign Affairs and Education and Labor committees? Wasn't it just last year that jews were slaughtered while praying in Pittsburgh?
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2716953002
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Why so hard to say that?

Absolutely I'm going to mention Fox, Trump and his racist cadre. But sure the list could be longer.

My point is that if you support those who spew the hate they do, on the basis of race, country of origin, religion, you've got a huge credibility problem dismissing white nationalism as more than bad people do bad things, as if it's not a very serious, growing threat around the world and in the USA.

Exactly what's not "accurate"? What's not accurate is, I'm not a Trump "apologist."

Ok, you bring up Omar. I'm very concerned about the ignorance she displayed, the anti-semitic tropes she used. I'd sure as heck hope she is getting an education on the subject and is going to learn and grow. If she doesn't, she should get little leeway going forward. So you're giving her the benefit of the doubt...why is that?

But where were you on Steve King's years of racist statements? How many chances did he deserve? I'm a Republican and it disgusted me. Obviously he got what he deserved...that's why Omar should should be subjected to same scrutiny/party discipline. Otherwise, if you don't agree then you yourself are an "apologist."

Where were you on the "Donald Trump calls for all Muslims to be banned from entering the country"? "Islam hates us"? "we're looking into it" (in reference to what to do with Muslim Americans)? Obviously (again), stupid, insensitive rhetoric.

Obviously, I could go on and on. No doubt about that.

But that's the point. Why are you providing cover to this notion espoused by our President that white nationalism isn't a serious threat?Not providing cover for anything.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Why so hard to say that?

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2716953002
It's about Omar's rhetoric, genius.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Why so hard to say that?

Exactly what's not "accurate"? What's not accurate is, I'm not a Trump "apologist."

Ok, you bring up Omar. I'm very concerned about the ignorance she displayed, the anti-semitic tropes she used. I'd sure as heck hope she is getting an education on the subject and is going to learn and grow. If she doesn't, she should get little leeway going forward. So you're giving her the benefit of the doubt...why is that?

But where were you on Steve King's years of racist statements? How many chances did he deserve? I'm a Republican and it disgusted me. Obviously he got what he deserved...that's why Omar should should be subjected to same scrutiny/party discipline. Otherwise, if you don't agree then you yourself are an "apologist."

Where were you on the "Donald Trump calls for all Muslims to be banned from entering the country"? "Islam hates us"? "we're looking into it" (in reference to what to do with Muslim Americans)? Obviously (again), stupid, insensitive rhetoric.

Obviously, I could go on and on. No doubt about that.

But that's the point. Why are you providing cover to this notion espoused by our President that white nationalism isn't a serious threat?Not providing cover for anything.
You're not a Trump apologist? I must have missed the bulletin.
You object to my bringing up the rhetoric of Trump and co in the context of your dismissing the white nationalist threat, in line with Trump.

But ok, let's stick to just this back and forth.

You say King got what he deserved. Not really. He should have been rejected by the Party long ago, cut off from all GOP support, financial, polling, endorsements, etc, and cut off from all committee positions if he won the vote of his constituents nevertheless. He instead got chance after chance after chance, over a period of years and years, numerous election cycles. Still has the Trumpist wing support.

Yes, I'm going to give Omar a chance to learn and grow. I think the vitriol from the right on this topic is precisely because she is a Muslim (as well as outspoken Dem woman). She's caught flak from within the Dem party, she's clearly on notice and being counseled. Rightfully so, IMO.

I think she needs to learn how to criticize American support for a right wing Israel gov't, as opposed to support for Israel in general, and how to support Palestinians, without resorting to false tropes. Can she? Time will tell. She's under scrutiny. But it's totally outrageous that she's under many death threats, with Fox et al making her out as some sort of terrorist.

But there's really no comparison to the subtle anti-semitism displayed by Omar's statements and Trump's blatantly bigoted hate filled demagoguing. With all sorts of positive dog whistles for actual violence, based on such hate and fear.

It all needs to be confronted, but it's a whole different ball game.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Anyone who doesn't swallow his TDS pablum is a Trump apologist.
Congress members need to learn & grow before they get there.

Results matter. Omar's also a moron & a hater, to boot.
She just happens to be a Muslim, which makes her immune from critique,
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Do we also take in account if the so called white guys have a Jewish background? Are they immune? Its not as easy as black/white.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm Yes, I'm going to give Omar a chance to learn and grow.
Good... you're an apologist for an anti-semitic muslim congress woman. Glad you're admitting it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:02 pm Anyone who doesn't swallow his TDS pablum is a Trump apologist.
Congress members need to learn & grow before they get there.

Results matter. Omar's also a moron & a hater, to boot.
She just happens to be a Muslim, which makes her immune from critique,
Really, she's "immune from critique"???
Why are we even talking about it then?
She caught a ton of flak from the Dems, including Leader Pelosi.

She's on a short string. I dunno about "moron & hater". I'm concerned about whether she really understands the tropes she played into. She's certainly being confronted over them! The question will be whether she learns from this, finds common cause with those who have suffered anti-semitism and Islamaphobia, and yet finds a way to be a critic of support for the Netanyahu government policies. Yeah, give her a chance.

But not years and years of chances like the GOP gave King, like they give Trump daily.

Salty, you claim not to be a Trump apologist, but we can read. TDS...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm Yes, I'm going to give Omar a chance to learn and grow.
Good... you're an apologist for an anti-semitic muslim congress woman. Glad you're admitting it.
Yeah, that'd be your takeaway from what I said.
Subtle and nuanced as always...

Return to “POLITICS”