Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FlyEaglesFly

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:54 pm Gtown will be a final four team this year
First they have to beat Penn next week.
I don’t think that has much to do with them being a final four team or not. Penn is EXCELLENT from the talk around Philly
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

:D
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:47 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:54 pm Gtown will be a final four team this year
First they have to beat Penn next week.
I don’t think that has much to do with them being a final four team or not. Penn is EXCELLENT from the talk around Philly

Penn is a final four contender. That game is going to be a war.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Offense looked a little lost in the first half ... not surprising given they are missing their QB and are working some new faces into the mix. Surprised by the move of Bundy to attack ... suspect this is a matter of having Haley out plus wanting to keep him on the field.

Watson is the elite shooter we all knew him to be. Will be nice to see him get a full season without COVID or injury.

Morin played well and had a nice take to the cage, but led the team with 3 TO. Will be interesting to see his role when Haley returns.

First Middies looked strong with Hess / McDermott / Trippi. Will be interesting to see what happens when Bundy moves back to mid, which I expect to see when Haley returns. Second middies did not get very much run. However the D mids put up 4 goals and an assist which more than makes up for it. Don't know if that is a sustainable strategy, and they will most likely need to solidfy a stronger 2nd mid line as the season progresses. Offense is a work in progress ... on the other hand they put up 16 goals.

Defense looked strong after a slow start where they left the crease open off ball. Notably, they switched up to put Bowen on Epstein. Bowen is a presence all over the field, Smith has a great stick, and Donaldson is a workhorse, and Tominovich adds depth. And they have 3 legit D mids in Geddes, Leary, and Godine plus two legit LSMS in Mazzone and Halpert. And we may see Hess play some D mid as well. The ability of McElroy to make the save and hit the streaking outlet pass is impressive. Geddes is FAST.

Faceoffs are also a bit of work in progress -- a number of violations in first half, but got better as the game went on. Good to have multiple options there and the younger Riley should improve as the season progresses.

Penn will be a big test. The Handley/Bowen matchup should be one for the ages. I don't know much about the Penn defense but that could be the difference in this one.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:30 am Offense looked a little lost in the first half ... not surprising given they are missing their QB and are working some new faces into the mix. Surprised by the move of Bundy to attack ... suspect this is a matter of having Haley out plus wanting to keep him on the field.

Watson is the elite shooter we all knew him to be. Will be nice to see him get a full season without COVID or injury.

Morin played well and had a nice take to the cage, but led the team with 3 TO. Will be interesting to see his role when Haley returns.

First Middies looked strong with Hess / McDermott / Trippi. Will be interesting to see what happens when Bundy moves back to mid, which I expect to see when Haley returns. Second middies did not get very much run. However the D mids put up 4 goals and an assist which more than makes up for it. Don't know if that is a sustainable strategy, and they will most likely need to solidfy a stronger 2nd mid line as the season progresses. Offense is a work in progress ... on the other hand they put up 16 goals.

Defense looked strong after a slow start where they left the crease open off ball. Notably, they switched up to put Bowen on Epstein. Bowen is a presence all over the field, Smith has a great stick, and Donaldson is a workhorse, and Tominovich adds depth. And they have 3 legit D mids in Geddes, Leary, and Godine plus two legit LSMS in Mazzone and Halpert. And we may see Hess play some D mid as well. The ability of McElroy to make the save and hit the streaking outlet pass is impressive. Geddes is FAST.

Faceoffs are also a bit of work in progress -- a number of violations in first half, but got better as the game went on. Good to have multiple options there and the younger Riley should improve as the season progresses.

Penn will be a big test. The Handley/Bowen matchup should be one for the ages. I don't know much about the Penn defense but that could be the difference in this one.
With respect to the midfield, Sopko and Munro got some time yesterday. With a return of Bundy to the first midfield, I could see a second midfield of Hess/Munro/Sopko. In addition, Thompson did not play yesterday, but hopefully can provide further depth at middie. Otherwise, the team looks very solid and deep in all aspects.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I think Hess is too good to not have running 1st midfield while Trippi can be the slash role like Petkovich last year. I’d rather see Trippi split time on attack with Morin and run 2nd midfield or 1st if Hess is gassed from some SSDM runs. Either way a high class problem that Hoyas need to find a way to have both on field a good amount.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:04 am I think Hess is too good to not have running 1st midfield while Trippi can be the slash role like Petkovich last year. I’d rather see Trippi split time on attack with Morin and run 2nd midfield or 1st if Hess is gassed from some SSDM runs. Either way a high class problem that Hoyas need to find a way to have both on field a good amount.
I think this would be a good strategy.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:50 am
rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:30 am Offense looked a little lost in the first half ... not surprising given they are missing their QB and are working some new faces into the mix. Surprised by the move of Bundy to attack ... suspect this is a matter of having Haley out plus wanting to keep him on the field.

With respect to the midfield, Sopko and Munro got some time yesterday. With a return of Bundy to the first midfield, I could see a second midfield of Hess/Munro/Sopko. In addition, Thompson did not play yesterday, but hopefully can provide further depth at middie. Otherwise, the team looks very solid and deep in all aspects.
Yeah, I think they have the guys, just need to develop them. Junior Cade Macleod and freshman Michael Haus also saw some time.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Seems like the way they played the midfield last year was like a 4man rotating unit with Bundy, McDermott, Petkevech, and then Hess as the wildcard that was just getting up and down playing both ways. I kind of liked it - and the staff would seem to just ride the hot hand based on matchups, what offense was working, and also dependent on how much D Hess was playing.

I am sure they will stick to the same strategy and then throw in Munro, MacLeod, Sopko, Thompson etc.. when needed. That is a pretty strong top 4 guys. I guess really the question is who gets their name announced as the starter - with all 4 playing equally over the course of the game.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I think the difference this year is that with Carraway gone there is more depth at middie than attack, which is why I like Trippi getting some attack run. Reality is than once in settled 6 v 6 they can just get best options on field regardless of whether officially a midfielder or attack. So may be more about cohesion as a unit than who is at what position.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:39 pm Seems like the way they played the midfield last year was like a 4man rotating unit with Bundy, McDermott, Petkevech, and then Hess as the wildcard that was just getting up and down playing both ways. I kind of liked it - and the staff would seem to just ride the hot hand based on matchups, what offense was working, and also dependent on how much D Hess was playing.

I am sure they will stick to the same strategy and then throw in Munro, MacLeod, Sopko, Thompson etc.. when needed. That is a pretty strong top 4 guys. I guess really the question is who gets their name announced as the starter - with all 4 playing equally over the course of the game.
I think this is a viable strategy, I just wonder if they will need more depth to get deep into the playoffs. Thinking specifically of the Maryland team with 2 very strong lines of middies.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

As season progresses I do think depth will develop at midfield. Look for Thompson, Sopko, freshman Goldberg and SSDM Geddes to run some offensive middie. I still think the third attack spot is the biggest question for this team over the long run.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:51 am SSDM Geddes to run some offensive middie.
Would love to see it.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Good win by Hoyas, Hop is a good team.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:51 am As season progresses I do think depth will develop at midfield. Look for Thompson, Sopko, freshman Goldberg and SSDM Geddes to run some offensive middie. I still think the third attack spot is the biggest question for this team over the long run.
Not just this year ... next too. With the generous assumption that Watson returns for a fifth year, they will need to fill that spot again. Will need to develop some underclassman this year or rely on an untested freshman/sophomore next (or go to the transfer portal again). Although thats further down the road, definitely something to consider as they work guys into the rotation.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I realize this and a token will get you on the subway but interesting to note -

Hopkins beat Jacksonville. JAX beat Duke and crushing Mercer.
Towson lost 18-12 to Hop and beat a good Mount team that beat Navy.

Means nothing but anecdotally points to Hopkins being a darn good team that the Hoyas beat fairly handily.

Penn is going to be a big time battle and who beat or lost to whom won’t matter much Saturday.

LGH
fordmaddoxford

Re: Do NOT Purchase Access to the Georgetown Game Through FloSports

Post by fordmaddoxford »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:46 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:32 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:22 pm I wonder if it’s a big East thing? It’s branded as Big East Network. Which would put it on par with Big Ten network which also is additional subscription and also disappointing from what I hear.
If so, then the Big East is participating in a scam.

An important update:

FloSports wrote back to me and now claims that the $12.50 monthly option was never available. If you notice, that option is in a lighter shade. The yearly plan is the ONLY option you have.

FloSports is now offering a $29.99 one month “discontinued” subscription in its place, which is still more than the completely non-existent $12.50 monthly option.

Here is the email from their customer service bot. Seems like they anticipated angry responses from cheated customers:

I'm Finn, your FloSports Customer Support Bot! It looks like you may be trying to make some changes to your subscription and I might be able to help.

We found your account under FloLive. Although we only offer a yearly subscription for this site, we can still make some changes to your account:

You can take care of that right now! By clicking the link below you will be able to update your subscription settings in minutes.

Click here to access your account and a new account feature. After you click that link, just use the "More than expected" link at the bottom of the page. From there you will be able to choose from a 20% Discount on your year long subscription, or switch to a discontinued monthly subscription for $29.99 (plus applicable state tax) per month.

We should all complain to the Georgetown athletic department and the GT lacrosse office about this scam.

DocBarrister
On 2/11 I signed up via the GU site for the $12.50/mo. option which was, indeed, offered. I was e-mailed a receipt. It reads in part:

Plan PRO-Monthly
Subtotal $12.50
Sales Tax. $0.75
Total $13.25

I also printed out their Terms of Service which specifically refer to "Monthly Subscriptions" and the cancellation thereof.

Interestingly, I haven't seen a charge yet. Thanks to you lot I'll be on the lookout. And ready to raise Cain if they try anything.
https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/profil ... 1000108975
Thanks. That’s pretty disturbing. I think the Georgetown athletics department needs to be informed of these issues. If they already know … shame on them.

DocBarrister
My bill hit the account at $13.25 as advertised. So I will be unable to participate in any class action.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

What's Penn's goalie situation?

I was thoroughly impressed with McElroy on Sunday. He stood tall and made a bunch of big saves when the game was still in the balance. The D did a better job in limiting the higher-quality chances, but 17 saves is 17 saves. He certainly played like a 1st Teamer last week.

In an interesting showdown of two hyped teams, goalie play could be the difference. You could certainly make the argument that last week simply came down to that with a .680 save % vs. a .429 save %.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Burkinshaw. He was a transfer before covid from UVA is their keeper. He is very good. Goalie play and face off x will be critical but this game could likely come down to who wins the Bowen vs Handley matchup. If Georgetown can contain him to a reasonable degree the Hoyas should be in good shape. That is a big if though.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FishFood wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:58 amYou could certainly make the argument that last week simply came down to that with a .680 save % vs. a .429 save %.
You could make that argument. You'd be wrong, but you could. :D

Seriously though, I do think an important factor is how well Penn's defense can perform.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

On faceoffs i like double poling with Mazzone and Smith. Reilly if loses will most likely be contested and not a fast break. So gives Hoyas two great GB guys on wings with limited downside of getting into settled defense if don’t win possession. And both can create offense if Hoyas win possession.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”