All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:54 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:00 pm After this Russian show of force, two things are obvious :

(1) -- EU & NATO membership is not going to be offered to Ukraine in the foreseeable future, even if & when Ukraine qualifies for membership.

(2) -- NATO is not going to intervene militarily to defend Ukraine.

Zelensky must decide how much of a bloodletting of his people is he willing to endure to keep the unlikely hope of EU & NATO membership alive.

EU & NATO member nations must decide how much of a bloodletting in Ukraine they are willing to endure before they acknowledge they will never extend membership to Ukraine anyway.

Where is Neville Chamberlin when we need him ? Is this really worth the bloodbath ?
Still can't enumerate the downsides for Putin, eh?

Pointless discussion if all you see is that every leader in the world is "doing it wrong" except Putin.
It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's not a matter of what you think the downsides are.
Like you, I can bloviate about that endlessly.

What counts is what matters to Putin & how much downside risk he is willing to endure.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:38 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:14 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:48 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:29 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:00 pm (2) -- NATO is not going to intervene militarily to defend Ukraine.
Curious, why do you think they will not enable NATO clause to bring in all the NATO nation troops. IS it b/c Biden said in no way is he entering Ukraine?
Ukraine is not a NATO member. There is no treaty obligation for NATO to defend Ukraine's border.
I fully understand that. I was questioning in the mindset that.....I would still think NATO would not sit idly by either...otherwise it seems to grossly minimize their value.
Do you mean why has NATO not activated the standing NATO Response Force (NRF) & deployed it to the E flank ?
Probably because they can't count on all NRF component members complying unless/until Russian forces commence hostile military actions inside Ukrainian territory. So far, it has just been a coalition of willing NATO partners deploying more forces to the E.
My initial question still stands.

Yes, I understand Ukraine is not in NATO, but under the circumstances, if Russia DOES START WAR, I find it odd NATO would not then institute “article 5” as they did in Sept2001. You seem certain in your bullet point 2, NATO is not going to intervene....I’m asking you why that stance.
Because 9-11 was considered an attack on the US, a NATO member.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:14 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:48 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:29 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:00 pm (2) -- NATO is not going to intervene militarily to defend Ukraine.
Curious, why do you think they will not enable NATO clause to bring in all the NATO nation troops. IS it b/c Biden said in no way is he entering Ukraine?
Ukraine is not a NATO member. There is no treaty obligation for NATO to defend Ukraine's border.
I fully understand that. I was questioning in the mindset that.....I would still think NATO would not sit idly by either...otherwise it seems to grossly minimize their value.
Do you mean why has NATO not activated the standing NATO Response Force (NRF) & deployed it to the E flank ?
Probably because they can't count on all NRF component members complying unless/until Russian forces commence hostile military actions inside Ukrainian territory. So far, it has just been a coalition of willing NATO partners deploying more forces to the E.

At this stage, it appears as if Hillary, Elias, and her campaign will be guilty of espionage. She used to say that Russians hacked the servers at the DNC (even though it is almost guaranteed that any stolen emails were stolen by a Bernie fan inside the DNC); It turns out it was her campaign that was spying on candidate Trump, and actually as President!

The most secure servers in the world at the White House were being tapped and under surveillance by political operatives being paid by the DNC and HRC.

Much much worse than Watergate. And our mainstream media won’t report, natch.

If not for Durham, they would have gotten away with this. But now that Durham has left bread crumbs, the next Republican Congress or POTUS will have free reign to issue criminal indictments.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

PB - um, no.

No matter what your lying media is telling you there does not actually appear to be any real evidence of such crimes…

The burden of proof is on you to provide such evidence. Not “it looks like” or other weasel wording…
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:30 pm PB - um, no.

No matter what your lying media is telling you there does not actually appear to be any real evidence of such crimes…

The burden of proof is on you to provide such evidence. Not “it looks like” or other weasel wording…

You might want to prepare yourself.

Durham probe has 'accelerated,' with more people 'cooperating,' coming before grand jury

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/durham ... grand-jury
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:38 pm Nice waste of your token selectively parsing your comments over time.

Everyone who has paid an ounce of attention knows what time it is with your efforts to frame arguments and debate. I’m usually the vulgar one around here but I see 72s “colorful” visual in your biases. Same old bad faith.
I've been consistent on Russia & Ukraine since before you started paying attention.
Please point out my inconsistencies & bad faith. Here's another post from 2018 :
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 pm
a fan wrote:
old salt wrote:Russia just seized 3 Ukrainian warships & imprisoned their crews. Ukraine has declared martial law & is on a war footing.
You told me before that Ukraine was supposed to be "Finland", not a part of NATO, and therefore not our problem.
That was the way to go, before we extended NATO to Ukraine's & Russia's borders. Before we promised Ukraine we'd guarantee their border if they gave up their nucs. Before we fomented the overthrow of their elected proRussia govt. Before we invited them into the Partnership for Peace, the pathway to NATO & EU membership.
Before we armed them. Before we sent US soldiers there to train them. Are you even aware that we have US troops on the ground in Ukraine, some in the field advising Ukraininan forces near the front lines in the east ?
I’m good thanks. I’ve read it all. It’s illogical to waste time searching posts to prove someone anything when their acting in such a manner. You know you downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war. So Pat yourself on the back for playing games. We all know what time it is.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:33 pm

Durham probe has 'accelerated,' with more people 'cooperating,' coming before grand jury

That article is laughable. The level of misunderstanding of the DNS system alone is amazing. And as yet nothing Durham has come up with at this point resembles some vast conspiracy.

And he has had years of work on the so called problem. Far longer than Mueller, who actually found stuff…
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm I’m good thanks. I’ve read it all. It’s illogical to waste time searching posts to prove someone anything when their acting in such a manner. You know you downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war. So Pat yourself on the back for playing games. We all know what time it is.
I'm not looking for an argument. Though I am interested in how I " downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war." During Trump's trade war, what concerns should I have been expressing about Russia ?
Last edited by old salt on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 pm It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's not a matter of what you think the downsides are.
Yet you haven't done that. Not once in ten years+ of being here, and discussing Putin.

In short: I don't believe you. I don't believe you understand the downsides for Putin. You've never once listed them.

Neither do the policy wonks who think he's brilliant, and that every leader in the EU and the US has made horrible decisions across the board.

All for a country that we have ZERO responsibility for.......
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm I’m good thanks. I’ve read it all. It’s illogical to waste time searching posts to prove someone anything when their acting in such a manner. You know you downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war. So Pat yourself on the back for playing games. We all know what time it is.
I'm not looking for an argument. I am interested in how I " downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war." During Trump's trade war, what concerns should I have been expressing about Russia ?
Asked and answered years ago.

Russian's election meddling. They hacked their way into accessing voter rolls, FFS---and that's just one event. You don't care. No one here understands that you don't care, given your background.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:54 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 pm It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's not a matter of what you think the downsides are.
Yet you haven't done that. Not once in ten years+ of being here, and discussing Putin.

In short: I don't believe you. I don't believe you understand the downsides for Putin. You've never once listed them.

Neither do the policy wonks who think he's brilliant, and that every leader in the EU and the US has made horrible decisions across the board.

I do understand the downsides. Putin just does not apparently care. He appears to have factored in the downsides & is prepared to endure them.
I wish that Putin was deterred by those downsides. I hope that he still is deterred enough by the downsides to avert a bloodbath. tick. tick.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Don't tell Tech or Old Salt-------the HATE it when a loose cannon in the DoJ goes hunting for heads for years and years, desperately trying to come up with something, anything to attack a citizen for political reasons. Old Salt called this "show me the man, and I'll show you the crime".

Tech called is the Deep State. Weaponizing investigators and prosecutors that so offended he and Old Salt.

I'll just sit back here, and await what will no doubt be livid posts from both Tech and Old Salt....condemning Durham's Unethical Investigations (started in May 2019) which have, hilariously, now lasted almost three freaking years.

Come on Old Salt and Tech......tell us how you're outraged by this obvious abuse of power on the part of Durham. This ought to be good.

Deep State? Hello? Anyone? :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:55 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:53 pm
I'm not looking for an argument. I am interested in how I " downplayed any concern about russia when Trump was ducking around with his idiotic and feckless trade war." During Trump's trade war, what concerns should I have been expressing about Russia ?
Asked and answered years ago.

Russian's election meddling. They hacked their way into accessing voter rolls, FFS---and that's just one event. You don't care. No one here understands that you don't care, given your background.
1. the question was to ffg, in reply to his post.

2. what does meddling in the 2016 election have to do with Trump's trade war & what do both have to do with Putin invading Ukraine in 2022 ?

...& obtw, who was really meddling in the 2016 election ?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:52 pm

That article is laughable. The level of misunderstanding of the DNS system alone is amazing. And as yet nothing Durham has come up with at this point resembles some vast conspiracy.

And he has had years of work on the so called problem. Far longer than Mueller, who actually found stuff…

I’m fairly sure Durham already has three indictments which (if past is prologue with prosecutors and it is!) are merely stepping stones to the big kahuna, ya gal Hillary. But mostly I want to see that slob Elias frog-marched into a court.

Oh the glory and joy to be an American 🇺🇸 today, to witness the entire media Democratic colossus destroyed, hoisted on its own petard of Russia Russia Russia…

By each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm

Don't tell Tech or Old Salt-------the HATE it when a loose cannon in the DoJ goes hunting for heads for years and years, desperately trying to come up with something, anything to attack a citizen for political reasons. Old Salt called this "show me the man, and I'll show you the crime".

Tech called is the Deep State. Weaponizing investigators and prosecutors that so offended he and Old Salt.

I'll just sit back here, and await what will no doubt be livid posts from both Tech and Old Salt....condemning Durham's Unethical Investigations (started in May 2019) which have, hilariously, now lasted almost three freaking years.

Come on Old Salt and Tech......tell us how you're outraged by this obvious abuse of power on the part of Durham. This ought to be good.

Hypocrites.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm Come on Old Salt and Tech......tell us how you're outraged by this obvious abuse of power on the part of Durham. This ought to be good.

I will, in the Deep State thread, rather than highjack this War & Peace thread.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:36 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm Come on Old Salt and Tech......tell us how you're outraged by this obvious abuse of power on the part of Durham. This ought to be good.

I will, in the Deep State thread, rather than highjack this War & Peace thread.
Well.....it does say "All Things"...so..... ;)

But you're right.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah we can have bifurcated policy. That’s moronic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Afan, you like Vonnegut correct? This display reminds me of Campbell and the reality of his efforts as described by Werner Noth (Father in law and high up nazi)

'Is there anything I can do to help?' I said. 'Yes,' he said. 'You can shoot Resi's dog. It can't make the trip. I have no interest in it, will not be able to give it the care and companionship Resi has led it to expect. So shoot it, please.' 'Where is it?' I said. 'I think you'll find it in the music room with Resi,' he said. 'She knows its to be shot, You will have no trouble with her.' 'All right,' I said. 'That's quite a uniform,' he said. 'Thank you,' I said. 'Would it be rude of me to ask what it represents?' he said. I had never worn it in his presence. I explained it to him, showed him the device on the hilt of my dagger. The device, silver on walnut, was an American eagle that clasped a swastika in its right claw and devoured a snake in its left claw. The snake was meant to represent international Jewish communism. There were thirteen stars around the head of the eagle, representing the thirteen original American colonies. I had made the original sketch of the device, and, since I don't draw very well, I had drawn six-pointed stars of David rather than five-pointed stars of the U.SA. The silversmith, while lavishly improving on my eagle, had reproduced my six-pointed stars exactly. It was the stars that caught my father-in-law's fancy. 'These represent the thirteen Jews in Franklin Roosevelt's cabinet,' he said. 'That's a very funny idea,' I said. 'Everyone thinks the Germans have no sense of humor,' he said. 'Germany is the most misunderstood country in the world,' I said. 'You are one of the few outsiders who really understands us,' he said. 'I hope that's a compliment I deserve,' I said. 'It's a compliment you didn't come by very easily,' he said. 'You broke my heart when you married my daughter. I wanted a German soldier for a son-in-law.' 'Sorry,' I said. 'You made her happy,' he said. 'I hope so,' I said. 'That made me hate you more,' he said. 'Happiness has no place in war.' 'Sorry,' I said. 'Because I hated you so much,' he said, 'I studied you. I listened to everything you said. I never missed a broadcast.' 'I didn't know that,' I said. 'No one knows everything,' he said. 'Did you know,' he said, 'that until almost this very moment nothing would have delighted me more than to prove that you were a spy, to see you shot?' 'No,' I said. 'And do you know why I don't care now if you were a spy or not?' he said. 'You could tell me now that you were a spy, and we would go on talking calmly, just as we're talking now. I would let you wander off to wherever spies go when a war is over. You know why?' he said. 'No,' I said. 'Because you could never have served the enemy as well as you served us,' he said. 'I realized that almost all the ideas that I hold now, that make me unashamed of anything I may have felt or done as a Nazi, came not from Hitler, not from Goebbels, not from Himmler — but from you.' He took my hand. 'You alone kept me from concluding that Germany had gone insane.' He turned away from me abruptly. He went to the oyster-eyed woman who had almost dropped the blue vase. She was standing against a wall where she had been ordered to stand, was numbly playing the punished dunce. Werner Noth shook her a little, trying to arouse an atom of intelligence in her. He pointed to another woman who was carrying a hideous Chinese, carved-oak dog, carrying it as carefully as though it were a baby. 'You see?' Noth said to the dunce. He wasn't intentionally tormenting the dunce. He was trying to make her, in spite of her stupidity, a better-rounded, more useful human being. 'You see?' he said again, earnestly, helpfully, pleadingly. 'That's the way to handle precious things.'
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:42 pm

Afan, you like Vonnegut correct? This display reminds me of Campbell and the reality of his efforts as described by Werner Noth (Father in law and high up nazi)
Haven't read his work since High School...thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Return to “POLITICS”