**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
Slim

Re: **********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by Slim »

KI and Co.,
St. Paul's won 7 straight in the 40's, and 3 straight in the 50s and again from '69-'71, in what was the old MSA. The Dons had their run in the MSA 80s, but couldn't pull off the 3-peat. No one has won 3 straight in the MIAA until CHC '17-'19. Up until that point I do not think anyone had repeated, back-to-back, in the MIAA (but I could be wrong there). Kramerica probably knows that answer better than I...

Me thinks BL could pull off the back-to-back title thing this spring...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Its not out of reach for BL this year. They have very good talent and coaching. But its always harder when you have a target on your back.
There will be some crazy results this year and how it all shakes out will be anyone's guess. This time last year, not too many people had BL as the eventual champ, Spalding as the #2 and CH as the #6 seed.
I think CH, BL, AS, and McD will all have a puncher's chance for a title.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:09 pm gymman - I love your posts about the history of the A conference. Calvert Hall is the only school to win 3 championships in a row, since when? Before the evolution of the crosse in the early 1970's? Last time was in the 1960's? I do know that Loyola won 7 championships in 11 years, from 1980-1990. Has to be the greatest run in the last 50 years or more? My ranking for this season:

1. McDonogh
2. Spalding
3. St. Mary's
4. Loyola
5. Calvert Hall
6. Boys' Latin
7. St. Paul's
8. Severn
9. Gilman
10. John Carroll
11. Mt. St. Joe
Here's your history book: https://laxrecords.com/maryland/

The longest series of championships was St. Pauls with 7, then Gilman 4, then St. Paul's 3...lots of 2's. Calvert Hall is indeed the sole 3-peat in the modern era, indeed since 1953.
Slim

Post by Slim »

I think the Lakers have the goods to repeat in '22...but Spalding, McD, CHC, and LB will be in the hunt!

Boys' Latin Boarding School changes the MIAA landscape for years to come,
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Who is enrolled @BL Boarding this year that can make an impact? As far as 21’, nothing is a fluke w this league. Never has been.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Anyone know the total number of boarders who can board at BL at one time? Wonder what those numbers are at McDonogh?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm Anyone know the total number of boarders who can board at BL at one time? Wonder what those numbers are at McDonogh?
What does it really matter? BL has done plenty well with local talent, as have all of the competitive schools. Schools have different advantages and disadvantages. Enrollment, tuition and location beyond the program and the coaching staff. Calvert Hall has somewhere around five times as many boys as St. Mary's. St. Mary's costs far less than Severn. Gilman has a well earned reputation for academics. I could go on. As far as boarders are concerned, you still only play ten at a time and you might even mess with team chemistry. Most of the teams that regularly compete are way deeper than the first 15 players.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm Anyone know the total number of boarders who can board at BL at one time? Wonder what those numbers are at McDonogh?
JC has the dorm option too. It has benefitted their basketball team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the schools use these various "assets" over time.

I think it's underestimated how much of a difference two to three impact players per class can make on any given team.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Absolutely correct.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think the schools may have different mindsets of how to use the dorms.
McD has been largely reliant on boarders in all sports. It's been a main athletics model- making offers to the best kids possible, mostly local to MD, but not "close" and occasionally out of region.
At BL the rumors are the dorm was built for lacrosse. Others say it was to infuse the school with international student money. But the truth and rosters remain to be seen.
JC has had a few housed students over the years, but only for basketball. And they were choosey in their selection. 1-2 kids a year. No clue if it's an option for lacrosse players. If so, it could be a nice option for kids who want to be seen or play in the league.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is a terrible joke but what were the dorms built for at St Paul’s?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Slim

Post by Slim »

SP had dorms at various campuses and a small group of boarders until 1970. The origin of the school dates back to its roots at Old St. Paul's Church in Baltimore City. It was a school for orphaned or wayward boys who received an education and trained as a choir group according to its history. Most of the boarders were from the outlying areas around the city, and later when it moved to its current location in the 60s it was a similar design to McDonogh's current model as a five-day boarding school until it discontinued the program. These boarders were primarily their choral group, but of course, they also were student-athletes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks I do appreciate the history but was reminded of a little issue they had around 20yrs ago when I was in college when I brought that up. We’ve got a nice player from there Troy Barthelme but couldn’t help myself with that regarding the lacrosse team wanting to be the AV club.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Booker

Post by Booker »

Friends :D
My annual plea to PLEASE use caution when posting/messaging about a player by name. These are challenging times for all of us. :mrgreen:

Please keep that in mind -- as well as the fact that these kids have worked long and hard to get this good (amazing) and have earned the right for us to post respectfully. The High School Lacrosse players across the country are getting better and better each year.

That's all - Booker
Here's to a great weekend of high-level Lacrosse :D

Here's to another amazing year of High School Lacrosse :D

Please be ever mindful the needs and feelings of others
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Booker wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm Friends :D
My annual plea to PLEASE use caution when posting/messaging about a player by name. These are challenging times for all of us. :mrgreen:

Please keep that in mind -- as well as the fact that these kids have worked long and hard to get this good (amazing) and have earned the right for us to post respectfully. The High School Lacrosse players across the country are getting better and better each year.

That's all - Booker

It's true. Having watched every team in this conference live, in person, the past few years, the players in this conference from top to bottom are pretty amazing. These kids are doing things (skills, concepts and schemes) in HS that the top college and pros were doing 15-20 years ago. Pretty amazing how far lacrosse has come. The coaches are great. Watching the game plans, offenses and defenses is fun. The league has some of the best and most experienced coaches anywhere. From the big names to the sleepers. The sidelines are chock full of quality lax minds. If you haven't watched these games, it's highly recommended. It's GREAT lacrosse.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

My next question is:

what venue have you enjoyed the most for the MIAA Championships throughout the years? Feel free to give your reasoning, too.

Hopkins' Homewood Field?

Navy's Navy Marine-Corps Memorial Stadium?

Towson's Johnny Unitas Stadium?

UMBC Stadium?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:32 pm
What does it really matter? BL has done plenty well with local talent, as have all of the competitive schools. Schools have different advantages and disadvantages. Enrollment, tuition and location beyond the program and the coaching staff. Calvert Hall has somewhere around five times as many boys as St. Mary's. St. Mary's costs far less than Severn. Gilman has a well earned reputation for academics. I could go on. As far as boarders are concerned, you still only play ten at a time and you might even mess with team chemistry. Most of the teams that regularly compete are way deeper than the first 15 players.
I was just curious. And no, it doesn't really matter. Yes, all schools definitely have advantages and disadvantages.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Booker wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm Friends :D

That's all - Booker

+1

An appreciated reminder.
I tend to think that we should be more careful at the college level as well, but certainly the HS level deserves special care.

Doesn't mean that thoughtful, constructive critiques are never appropriate, but we really should take some care in how we express them, whether by name or simply by inference. For instance, saying "the FOGO for Team Y was miserable" and not using the name doesn't make it less hurtful. Instead, it's possible to say that the stats were X:Y and the player X who won the day was excellent, had a great first move, accelerated to the ball...whatever. And if there's something constructive to say about player Y, maybe he needs to work on his first move, needs to harass longer, the wings need to take a better angle...whatever...that's just fine. But don't say Player Y or by inference "the FOGO"..."he was miserable"...

They're youngsters learning the game, going up against top notch players, and every day is a new day, a new opportunity to learn...

Thanks Booker!
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:29 pm My next question is:

what venue have you enjoyed the most for the MIAA Championships throughout the years? Feel free to give your reasoning, too.

Hopkins' Homewood Field?

Navy's Navy Marine-Corps Memorial Stadium?

Towson's Johnny Unitas Stadium?

UMBC Stadium?
Weems Whalen
I loved the parking

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”