D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by 10stone5 »

A wipe out.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:32 pm Ssdm not playing well. We also need to finish our shots
+2

Hounds will be fine. Lots of teams will struggle against the Terps. They looked like men among boys. Their size and ball
movement was phenomenal. They are loaded.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Lindsay saw limited time

You did not miss much. No defense. No offense. And no face off.

Yes it is Maryland. But Loyola was ranked 8. It was a varsity team playing against a jv team.

Loyola was not prepared. Ssdm was a weak point but not one of them played well. Close d, no slides or late slides and goalie play was non existent

WhSt concerned me the most face offs. This could be a long year if it does not turn around

I will say I liked the play of poitras seat and James. But. There was a lot of standing around and watching. No creating.

Time to forget game and move onto Hopkins.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Maryland fan here - Maryland's offense was just humming, especially in the first half, and with the faceoff advantage it just fed that.

Totally agree with Laxbro11 - this loyola team has too much talent and too much experience for this to be regarded as really anything other than an anomaly. Forget this one and move forward.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:25 pm Lindsay saw limited time

You did not miss much. No defense. No offense. And no face off.

Yes it is Maryland. But Loyola was ranked 8. It was a varsity team playing against a jv team.

Loyola was not prepared. Ssdm was a weak point but not one of them played well. Close d, no slides or late slides and goalie play was non existent

WhSt concerned me the most face offs. This could be a long year if it does not turn around

I will say I liked the play of poitras seat and James. But. There was a lot of standing around and watching. No creating.

Time to forget game and move onto Hopkins.

Not sure Bailey should have been preseason all American…

Why doesn’t Charlie put Cottone in for some reps?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

You all will probably see video to Toomey's post-game presser, and I'd also recommend watching Tillman's, too.

Toomey said Shafer is the goalie going forward and that today wasn't on any of the goalies but about the defense giving up too many good shots. He mentioned needing to find more than just one reliable defensive midfielder. He said he was more worried about the psychology of his team than the game itself. He also said that Loyola's midfielders just couldn't beat Maryland's shorties.

Tills hypothesized that Savio is injured based upon his lack of closing speed after losing the initial draw. He also mentioned that Maryland's shorties were the key to the game and allowed Maryland to shut down Lindley inside.

Obviously, I'm a Maryland fan, but I do think you all will rebound. In the press box, someone said something to the effect of "Loyola isn't even playing badly. Maryland is just that good." I tend to agree.

Outside of Poitras and James, it seemed like the Greyhounds had a really tough time winning match ups. I don't think Wyers is healthy, either. That wrap on his knee is noticeable. It's not that he struggled today, but he certainly wasn't as disruptive as he usually is. The next two weeks will pretty much determine if you all are AQ or bust. Can't drop both...and, yes, I know Duke and Georgetown are still out there. Go 0-3 against the B1G and Duke and Georgetown become must wins for any at-large hopes.

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope the team gets on a streak...will only help us Terps if they do!!!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:06 pm You all will probably see video to Toomey's post-game presser, and I'd also recommend watching Tillman's, too.

Toomey said Shafer is the goalie going forward and that today wasn't on any of the goalies but about the defense giving up too many good shots. He mentioned needing to find more than just one reliable defensive midfielder. He said he was more worried about the psychology of his team than the game itself. He also said that Loyola's midfielders just couldn't beat Maryland's shorties.

Tills hypothesized that Savio is injured based upon his lack of closing speed after losing the initial draw. He also mentioned that Maryland's shorties were the key to the game and allowed Maryland to shut down Lindley inside.

Obviously, I'm a Maryland fan, but I do think you all will rebound. In the press box, someone said something to the effect of "Loyola isn't even playing badly. Maryland is just that good." I tend to agree.

Outside of Poitras and James, it seemed like the Greyhounds had a really tough time winning match ups. I don't think Wyers is healthy, either. That wrap on his knee is noticeable. It's not that he struggled today, but he certainly wasn't as disruptive as he usually is. The next two weeks will pretty much determine if you all are AQ or bust. Can't drop both...and, yes, I know Duke and Georgetown are still out there. Go 0-3 against the B1G and Duke and Georgetown become must wins for any at-large hopes.

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope the team gets on a streak...will only help us Terps if they do!!!
Maryland was well coached And disciplined. They will be at championship weekend. This could have been the worst game I have seen Loyola play in years

Two scrimmages and a game that they have not played to their potential. Thus dies not seem to be a fluke
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Here is the post game press conference
https://youtu.be/Wi_yROnpNrQ
molo

Post by molo »

What is their potential? Maybe they are playing up to their potential.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:35 pm What is their potential? Maybe they are playing up to their potential.
I mean, they’ve been a QF team basically every year for like 5-6 years now, so one would assume that’s their potential. Obvs each team is diff and each year is its own but not crazy to suggest their ceiling is way higher than this. I mean, they played bad today. Loyola is never bad.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

There was the title then 3yrs w/o playoffs before Spencer. Before the title it took Toomey a little while to clean up the mess in aisle Dirrgl. Having MVA helps but it’s fair to question whether they may not more of a in and out of first round team this year (bubble with occasional .500 record). The late run last year allows for hope however but halfway through the season of 21 that wasn’t the view.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:24 am There was the title then 3yrs w/o playoffs before Spencer. Before the title it took Toomey a little while to clean up the mess in aisle Dirrgl. Having MVA helps but it’s fair to question whether they may not more of a in and out of first round team this year (bubble with occasional .500 record). The late run last year allows for hope however but halfway through the season of 21 that wasn’t the view.
Oh yeah, I thought they’d get to the F4 pre-season, obvs looks worse now! But I do agree that they’re still answering the question of who runs the show without Pat and are still trying to replace him. But even they’re worst year in the last 10 with CT was a 7-8 year where they lost a bucket of 1 goal games. It’s reasonable to think their potential is that of a QF team, what they did last year. Doesn’t mean they will do it of course, but that as their ceiling isn’t a crazy thought IMO
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agreed just a counterpoint that I think is reasonable for setting expectations.

And invariably there’s 1-2 teams every year that are expected to be good with a lot of strong recruiting classes and it doesn’t materialize. Late Urick years at GT and most of Michigan’s D1 existence. There was some question on Breschi at UNC around that until he won it in 16.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:37 am Agreed just a counterpoint that I think is reasonable for setting expectations.

And invariably there’s 1-2 teams every year that are expected to be good with a lot of strong recruiting classes and it doesn’t materialize. Late Urick years at GT and most of Michigan’s D1 existence. There was some question on Breschi at UNC around that until he won it in 16.
P much every year there's a team in the Top 10 who doesn't finish the year ranked. Don't think it's Loyola, but also hard to see it being any of the top 5-6 as well
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

What an eye opener for watching my sons first college lacrosse team

I was surprised at how lacking the team was overall... they just could not find a rhythem

A couple of things that stood out to me. 1-4 on man up. and the goal came when we were 2 man up. So 0-3 traditional man up. We lost the ground ball battle and it seemed to me that our FOGO was hurt.

Defensively, they looked out of sync. SSDMs were outmatched and out played, I know that 34 was preseason all american, he did not play that well, 6 and 23 have experience but played awful. If I remember correctly, I thought 1, 23 and 49 played welll together against Villanova in the fall ball scrimmage. I did not think close d or the lsms played that poorly. Just poor communication and lack of slides hurt. It is tough for a goalie to stop the 10 yd and in shot.

Offensively, that experienced group should be putting more that 8 goals on the board. Lack of crisp passing and a lot of standing around and watching. 7 and 19 are not going to be able to dodge and score all by themselves. I did like 51, he is exciting to watch. I was surprised that 4 and 22 did not play more, I heard that they are solid offensive players.

Lots of talk about potential, Potential is energy at rest, I have no doubts this coaching staff will find the right mix and get the energy going in the right direction.
Scrapslax

Post by Scrapslax »

I’m not ready to push the panic button yet. UMD is a very good team right now. After watching Hopkins play Gtown today, I will feel very differently next week if we don’t emphatically beat Hopkins. I am, however, concerned about CT’s comment about his worry about the locker room. I am not sure what is wrong but morale trumps talent far too often.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

First things first people here have to understand that the psychological effect of this game on this team can be absolutely dismantling if you do not treat it the right way and respond the right way- eSpecially as a coach. Mental health has an extreme impact on sports.

You have to remember this team was playing lights out in may last year and from those who i spoke to that know more about the program- felt very very good in fall ball and in the scrimmages in fall. They have all this experience coming back in the right positions.

When you’re feeling this good about yourself and then have a setback like this, on National television it’s easy to feel disrupted and feel like “what just happened to us? Are we good enough to get to Memorial Day” will we even win a game after today”

As some others pointed out, this is a team game so any wins and especially losses is a result of team play. It’s unfair to single out one person for a loss or a win, or one unit for a loss/win

This game was a total team loss in respect to all units of the game.

Faceoffs what we considered a strength was effectively countered. Maybe Bailey is injured a bit but the staff tried to give Pacheco some tries and he got countered to.

SSDM’s while have some experience got burned by the Maryland midfielders and the attackman off ball and even attacking from up top. Forget the hard shooters, these Maryland guys burned our SSDM’s with their feet speed alone

The SSDMS getting burnt correlated to a spinning defense (while it does have so much experience returning) can only do so much with communication and pressure. They got lit up and as a result didn’t give Sam, nor any goalie much chances to save these shots

Offensive middies got locked up by Maryland shorties and couldn’t get past them. Olmstead in particular I remember got pushed BACK on one run in the 3rd. No one could beat their guy, and when they tried to change the point of attack they got stuffed by the tough Maryland defense. No guy could beat their matchup which caused the lack of scoring

The attack line got smothered by close D and when they couldn’t do much they force fed it inside to Lindley to hope he catches it and fires.

Whether this was fixed or changed at halftime by coach van or if things will be different next week is up to the staff and this team alone.

Because of the high pressure ride they committed a lot of passing turnovers in the middle of the field. Can’t beat anybody good or bad if you turn the ball over that much.

Maybe this team won’t get as far as we want in another 14 weeks, but all we can do is root for them that they will bounce back, improve and leave everything on the field whenever their last game is
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
molo

Post by molo »

Maryland is going rout other teams this year. Who knows who will win the Hopkins game? Remains to see if Army West Point and Lehigh will compare to the Hounds in the PL. Gate showed some promise again UNC today.
lorin

Post by lorin »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:43 pm Maryland is going rout other teams this year. Who knows who will win the Hopkins game? Remains to see if Army West Point and Lehigh will compare to the Hounds in the PL. Gate showed some promise again UNC today.
I can tell you has an Army fan we are worried about playing every team in the PL, the way you are playing you should be do.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

lorin wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:03 am
molo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:43 pm Maryland is going rout other teams this year. Who knows who will win the Hopkins game? Remains to see if Army West Point and Lehigh will compare to the Hounds in the PL. Gate showed some promise again UNC today.
I can tell you has an Army fan we are worried about playing every team in the PL, the way you are playing you should be do.
You've never been in the Loyola locker room.
We respect EVERY team in the PL, but we aren't "worried" about facing anyone. It's part of why we have the hardest OOC schedule in the nation. To prepare us for league play. We like competition, against the best, no matter the outcome. And in conference, we pretty much know we are getting everyone's best shot and welcome it. If you beat us, a tip of the cap, and hopefully we get to see you again.

And that mindset has worked pretty well over the years. I think Loyola has won 80+ % of games in-conference.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”