Michigan Wolverines

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Michigan Wolverines

Post by wlaxnut »

This team is looking pretty serious this year. I don’t have any illusions of them winning the Big Ten, but they very well may make the conference playoffs. They’ve played and won against some decent teams – Dartmouth, Colorado and Denver (the last 2 were on the road) – and they remain undefeated with an 8 game win streak (10 dating back to last year). They have yet to begin conference play but they look like they could make some noise this year. Watching them against Kent State this afternoon, they play an extremely aggressive ride. They’re aggressive on offense, as well. I know it’s only Kent State, but practicing aggressive rides and attack will only help them when they get into conference play and maybe playoffs—and perhaps beyond to their first bid into The Tournament. I am coming to admire this team more and more because of their aggressiveness on the ride. I don’t know why more teams don’t ride like them. BC does and it certainly benefits them. I know other teams do it, but I can’t think of them at the moment. Riding hard not only takes time away from the other teams shot clock, but it also gives them a much better opportunity to cause turnovers and get the ball back. Again, I don’t know why more teams don’t ride aggressively.

If you're interested to see the Kent St game I referred to--it's here:

https://mgoblue.com/watch/?Archive=1620 ... pe=Archive

==============================================================================
MW.png
MW.png (121.2 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Last edited by wlaxnut on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Re: Michigan Wolverines

Post by wlaxnut »

Now the 9-0 Michigan Wolverines, thanks to another heroic late game effort by Molly Garrett, who scored the winner with 10 seconds left in the game to avoid overtime and seal the victory. Molly was responsible for the game winner in 2OT vs #25 Dartmouth, as well. They have a decent chance to inch up in the polls again this week, maybe even *gasp* break into the top 10.

This is their 4th win over a ranked opponent this year (#25 Dartmouth, #14 Colorado, #9 Denver and yesterday's win over #25 Towson). Now they get into conference play as 6 of their next 7 games are against Big 10 opponents. Should be very interesting. They start next Saturday hosting Penn State, an intriguing matchup as the last time Michigan saw Penn State (then ranked #16), the Wolverine's Maggie Kane broke the NCAA women's lacrosse record for fastest goal off the draw (5 seconds!) by scoring with milliseconds left to stun the Nittany Lions in Penn State. Penn St had the ball, and the lead with 27.2 sec left yet allowed Michigan to score twice within 6.2 secs to steal a 12-11 win. You know Penn State has revenge on their minds. Anticipating that one.

9-0 Going into conference play has the Wolverines sitting pretty. Their upcoming schedule: Penn St, at Ohio State, Johns Hopkins, Rutgers, Northwestern are all winnable games. The only opponent I don't give them a chance against, obviously, is Maryland. Against the others, they could easily go 4-1, or 3-2. They are looking more and more like they could qualify for the conference playoffs for the first time in their 6 year history, and beyond, perhaps adding to/strengthening a case to be considered by the committee in May, as well.

I am coming to enjoy watching this team. They stream all their home games here:
https://mgoblue.com/watch/?Archive=16215&type=Archive
The broadcast generally has decent camerawork and field mics but no "team/score/time remaining banner" or (refreshingly [for a change of viewing experience]) play-by-play/commentary.

It's an enjoyable time in the team's journey/development. They seem to be giving full effort consistently, which is of course easier when you're 9-0 and 11-0 dating to the end of last season. They ride aggressively, which is always fun to watch. They seem to have a good coach in Nielsen, who knows what it's like to win, a 4x national champ as a player with Northwestern. Nielsen's team is a scrappy, well-coached, decent yet limited-in-talent (but-not-heart) group, which will be tested more when they start scrapping within the conference. But they are learning to win. Who knows, maybe they'll take the next step quickly and start winning critical conference games in April AND May. With their work ethic and tenacity, they could make some noise the rest of the way.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Michigan 12 Rutgers 8

Post by wlaxnut »

With timely offense and solid hard-nosed defense and goaltending, the Michigan Wolverines took another big win in the Big 10 conference and beat scrappy Rutgers 12-8. Aggressive on both offense and defense--this hard-working Michigan team is a pleasure to watch. Now 4-1 in the Big 10, they have clinched a spot in the Big 10 tournament, and could nail down the number 2 seed with a win at Northwestern next Thursday. They will surely make their 1st appearance in The Tournament as well. Exciting time to watch this team.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Michigan Wolverines

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I wonder if the Wolverines will improve during 2022. They had a down year in 2021. They haven't seemed to be able to build on the great momentum they generated at the end of the 2018 season which led into the 2019 season with a number of firsts for the newer program (inaugural season 2014). One of the teams I enjoy rooting for. They would do well to develop/recruit some blue chip scorers. They typically outwork the other team but fail when the other team has better goal scorers for the most part.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Wolverines release 2022 schedule

The Wolverines have scheduled a fairly difficult test for 2022. I think it’s an upgrade from who they usually play OOC.

OuttaNowhereWregget

I sure would like to see the Wolverines spoil the party tonight but I doubt it. It’s probably going to be a fairly easy win for the Irish. I hope Michigan outworks Notre Dame and cashes in on some goals to show for it.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 pm I sure would like to see the Wolverines spoil the party tonight but I doubt it. It’s probably going to be a fairly easy win for the Irish. I hope Michigan outworks Notre Dame and cashes in on some goals to show for it.
reverse jinx
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:08 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 pm I sure would like to see the Wolverines spoil the party tonight but I doubt it. It’s probably going to be a fairly easy win for the Irish. I hope Michigan outworks Notre Dame and cashes in on some goals to show for it.
reverse jinx
I wish I could claim credit but I really thought this would be an easy win for Notre Dame. The Irish seem to excel in the regular season then disappear in the post season. Maybe that's a thing of the past and now they'll just be underachievers the whole season through. Their talent isn't enough to get them over the hump against a team that works harder, and I think that's what happened last night, the Irish got outworked and Michigan was being more aggressive going to cage than they typically are. Good to see. I'd love to see coach Nielsen have success.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Very nice start to the season for the Wolverines. I hope they ruffle a few feathers when conference play begins.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... high-point
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm Very nice start to the season for the Wolverines. I hope they ruffle a few feathers when conference play begins.

Its a team that is well coached... Like to root for them
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:01 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm Very nice start to the season for the Wolverines. I hope they ruffle a few feathers when conference play begins.

Its a team that is well coached... Like to root for them
Me too.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Solid win for the Wolverines yesterday. They were down by a goal in the 4th quarter when they made the final push to take the game away from the host Blue Jays. They scored when they had to and weren't the team making the nervous plays at the end. That green card by Hop late in the 4th turned out to hurt as Michigan cashed in the player advantage with an insurance goal. I don't know how far Michigan goes in the conference but this was a good come from behind win on the road for them. Now let's see if they can challenge Maryland and/or Northwestern.

https://mgoblue.com/news/2022/3/18/wome ... -play.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Didn't like the look of the Wolverines in that loss to Rutgers yesterday. The team played undisciplined (6 yellows) and careless. Some of their decision making on shots was puzzling to be kind. There was one brief moment when the camera caught coach Nielsen standing over one of her players off for one of the yellows berating her with the player looking past the coach avoiding eye contact. Nielsen was livid. Not a good look.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”