Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:47 pm So, I'm not watching the game, but per the IL box, we have 27 shots on the cage and G'Town has 25. And we're down by 8. I get the McIlroy is really good, I do, but c'mon now.
McElroy .680
Kirson .429
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Georgetown is very good, their defense is superb, and their goalie is probably the best in the country.

Kirson played ok in the first half but then fell apart. The D didn't do him any favors. But sometimes a goalie has to bail his defense out, as McElroy did several times.

Will be easy to overreact to this scoreline. Jays obviously did not play very well and have a lot of work to do to get to where they want to be. Top 15-20 preseason ranking looks pretty accurate after these first 3 games.

With Duke losing to Jacksonville, you have to wonder if the "2 games in 3 days in February" thing is a mountain to climb.

A positive: Grimes has already matched his point total from last year.

We're onto Loyola.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:42 pm I think the towson/georgetown stuff in 3 days was a great decision and we're learning a lot early about our guys and they're getting a lot of great film and experience. The media has questioned this decision but I think it was smart especially with all the other big ooc games coming up.
Not sure I agree. I'd much prefer a cupcake to give guys a chance to rotate in some backups. Moreover, if Kirson continues to get shelled, not withstanding the two saves during garbage time, eventually he'll lose the guys in front of him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:52 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:42 pm I think the towson/georgetown stuff in 3 days was a great decision and we're learning a lot early about our guys and they're getting a lot of great film and experience. The media has questioned this decision but I think it was smart especially with all the other big ooc games coming up.
Not sure I agree. I'd much prefer a cupcake to give guys a chance to rotate in some backups. Moreover, if Kirson continues to get shelled, not withstanding the two saves during garbage time, eventually he'll lose the guys in front of him.
PM was exactly right. Memorial day weekend the kids are going to have to go through this 2 in 3 and better to learn how to do it now. They shelled Towson, came out strong today, got good film and have 3 powerful acc games plus loyola coming up.
Grimes is improved.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:51 pm We're onto Loyola.
Given how Loyola looked against the Terps, we may have reason to panic in the event of a bad result next weekend.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Since when do we need a reason to panic? Even a cat picture did not help.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:07 pm Since when do we need a reason to panic? Even a cat picture did not help.
Fair point - though I would say the panic has been justified for a while now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:02 pm
PM was exactly right. Memorial day weekend the kids are going to have to go through this 2 in 3 and better to learn how to do it now. They shelled Towson, came out strong today, got good film and have 3 powerful acc games plus loyola coming up.
Grimes is improved.
Memorial Day (or anything in the postseason) ain’t happening unless the Blue Jays get better goalie play.

I cannot believe that Johns Hopkins doesn’t have at least one goalie who can save at least 50%.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:51 pm Georgetown is very good, their defense is superb, and their goalie is probably the best in the country.

Kirson played ok in the first half but then fell apart. The D didn't do him any favors. But sometimes a goalie has to bail his defense out, as McElroy did several times.

Will be easy to overreact to this scoreline. Jays obviously did not play very well and have a lot of work to do to get to where they want to be. Top 15-20 preseason ranking looks pretty accurate after these first 3 games.

With Duke losing to Jacksonville, you have to wonder if the "2 games in 3 days in February" thing is a mountain to climb.

A positive: Grimes has already matched his point total from last year.

We're onto Loyola.
Grimes also had 3 turnovers.

Blue Jays were fatigued, which probably factored into the 16 turnovers.

Until proven otherwise, McElroy is the best goalie in the country.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:18 pm Grimes also had 3 turnovers.
At least one of those was at the end of the shot clock when he (smartly) just tossed it away. Goes down in the box score as a turnover, but it's not really. Not his, at least. That's a team turnover.

Grimes is playing so much more poised this year. He seems to have figured out how to use his size and athleticism to gain some separation. And his off-ball movement has been superb. That's a relatively new element of his game.

Georgetown probably has the best defense/goalie combo in the nation. Not all of our shots were great, but McElroy made several unreal saves on shots that had eyes for the goal. The sledding is not always going to be that tough. That's a legit Final Four contender.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

I liked the effort in the first quarter. We certainly proved we can hang with a top 5 team for a half. Blow outs happen, even to great teams. How this team responds now is important. I remember back to 2018 when we got blown out by loyola and blew a big lead to unc, and responded by winning 7 straight including overcoming a 7 goal deficit to uva. This is a good team. The faceoff game is a strength, and other areas except goalie are markedly improved from last year.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:16 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:02 pm
Grimes is improved.
Memorial Day (or anything in the postseason) ain’t happening unless the Blue Jays get better goalie play.
DocBarrister :?
Exactly. The days of having a stocked bench --- where some of our 3rd team could be starters elsewhere -- are long gone. With a gauntlet of a schedule our starters get ground down such that they are really banged up by April. FOGO's can only take so much grinding before they need some rest, and taking time off for injury when league starts is not a good plan.

But that's just the opinion of one fan. (And guys called Saban.) Clearly, many/most? on this thread love the difficult scheduling.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:35 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:18 pm Grimes also had 3 turnovers.
At least one of those was at the end of the shot clock when he (smartly) just tossed it away. Goes down in the box score as a turnover, but it's not really. Not his, at least. That's a team turnover.

Grimes is playing so much more poised this year. He seems to have figured out how to use his size and athleticism to gain some separation. And his off-ball movement has been superb. That's a relatively new element of his game.

Georgetown probably has the best defense/goalie combo in the nation. Not all of our shots were great, but McElroy made several unreal saves on shots that had eyes for the goal. The sledding is not always going to be that tough. That's a legit Final Four contender.
I agree. As you may recall, I advocated for Grimes in the third attack spot before the season began. I think he is proving his worth there.

What Grimes needs more than anything are reps. He will get better and better the more he touches the ball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Mr. F wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm I liked the effort in the first quarter. We certainly proved we can hang with a top 5 team for a half. Blow outs happen, even to great teams. How this team responds now is important. I remember back to 2018 when we got blown out by loyola and blew a big lead to unc, and responded by winning 7 straight including overcoming a 7 goal deficit to uva. This is a good team. The faceoff game is a strength, and other areas except goalie are markedly improved from last year.
I do agree … Blue Jays have the makings of a good team.

However, a lacrosse team without good goalie play is like a baseball team without good pitching or a football team without a good QB.

Nothing else is going to matter much until you strengthen that position.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
netminder

Post by netminder »

A good benchmark game for an improving Blue Jays team. Georgetown is a solid top tier team and they showed it today. No easy games on the schedule and Loyola will be another opportunity. Early on in the season but goalie play and offense shooting % are concerns.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 pm Where is our thread starter?
https://theoatmeal.com/blog/hand_to_hand_wombat
He defected and now posts on a lacrosse forum run by China. Apparently, he is rather unpopular … something about his lousy Mandarin and always falling on his face at key moments. Sad.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:38 pm Sucks, Doc!!! Got confidence in you though, DocB'll get it done.
Let us know how it ends.
Thanks, DMac.

I’m actually considering whether this is worth a lawsuit. They have “$12.50/mo” in large dark text over “150.00 paid yearly” in much smaller, lighter font. I know of very few people who are willing to purchase a second-tier sports streaming service for $150 with virtually no opt out. If you complain, they still offer only an option that is twice as much. Fact discovery in this case would be rather interesting, including whether schools like Georgetown knew of this practice.

Wouldn’t be the first time I punished a company. Recently settled a case where a company spent over half a million dollars defending a case filed by my client that could have been settled early for about a tenth of that.

Maybe FloSports needs the same lesson.

DocBarrister
I "fell for" this too. Their bot said to click the link and there would be an option to the discontinued monthly subscritpion by clicking the link. I did but there is no such option. Quite honestly I think the better approach is to just cancel and dispute the charge on my credit card when it posts. I dont want these muppets being able to say that I opted into anything.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Young Warrior wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:38 pm Sucks, Doc!!! Got confidence in you though, DocB'll get it done.
Let us know how it ends.
Thanks, DMac.

I’m actually considering whether this is worth a lawsuit. They have “$12.50/mo” in large dark text over “150.00 paid yearly” in much smaller, lighter font. I know of very few people who are willing to purchase a second-tier sports streaming service for $150 with virtually no opt out. If you complain, they still offer only an option that is twice as much. Fact discovery in this case would be rather interesting, including whether schools like Georgetown knew of this practice.

Wouldn’t be the first time I punished a company. Recently settled a case where a company spent over half a million dollars defending a case filed by my client that could have been settled early for about a tenth of that.

Maybe FloSports needs the same lesson.

DocBarrister
I "fell for" this too. Their bot said to click the link and there would be an option to the discontinued monthly subscritpion by clicking the link. I did but there is no such option. Quite honestly I think the better approach is to just cancel and dispute the charge on my credit card when it posts. I dont want these muppets being able to say that I opted into anything.
You have to click "more options" or something in tiny font, under the main button once you get to that menu. That, too, was extremely easy to miss. It's a total scam. Glad that's over with. Next weekend we're back on ESPN.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:46 pm
Mr. F wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm I liked the effort in the first quarter. We certainly proved we can hang with a top 5 team for a half. Blow outs happen, even to great teams. How this team responds now is important. I remember back to 2018 when we got blown out by loyola and blew a big lead to unc, and responded by winning 7 straight including overcoming a 7 goal deficit to uva. This is a good team. The faceoff game is a strength, and other areas except goalie are markedly improved from last year.
I do agree … Blue Jays have the makings of a good team.

However, a lacrosse team without good goalie play is like a baseball team without good pitching or a football team without a good QB.

Nothing else is going to matter much until you strengthen that position.

DocBarrister
As a Georgetown fan who watched the game, the Hopkins goalie was just part of the overall picture. Georgetown is simply the better team this year in every aspect of the game and is an experienced, cohesive group.

Yes the goalie was not great but after the first quarter Georgetown got its sea legs and dominated defensively, which then opened up the transition game and six on six. MCElroy did make some great saves to turn things around but he is a very special player. The Hop goalie faced open shots and tough transition opportunities from GU and it snowballed from there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”