Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:35 pm I'd do anything for a goalie. I'm like that guy in the Fyre Festival documentary. You know the one. Just get me a goalie.
That’s next level fandom.

Awesome to see Grimes getting more comfortable. Need to see more out of
Peshko. Degnon has the shot and stroke of Fraser but way more of an athlete.
Yeah....woop woop.....2-0 :lol: Beat G-twon, than you can talk. (wood Drexel or Colgate fans get laughed out of the "good win" room come n$aa tourney time, when presenting "Jacksonville" ;) only a hand full of D1 teams that are pretty sure wins, "credible" remains subjective, for many, tho
Believe when I say I’m not celebrating. There is no bigger knit picker than me of this program. I do believe that Georgetown will tell us a lot about what this team is capable of.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:32 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:35 pm I'd do anything for a goalie. I'm like that guy in the Fyre Festival documentary. You know the one. Just get me a goalie.
That’s next level fandom.

Awesome to see Grimes getting more comfortable. Need to see more out of
Peshko. Degnon has the shot and stroke of Fraser but way more of an athlete.
Yeah....woop woop.....2-0 :lol: Beat G-twon, than you can talk. (wood Drexel or Colgate fans get laughed out of the "good win" room come n$aa tourney time, when presenting "Jacksonville" ;) only a hand full of D1 teams that are pretty sure wins, "credible" remains subjective, for many, tho
Believe when I say I’m not celebrating. There is no bigger knit picker than me of this program. I do believe that Georgetown will tell us a lot about what this team is capable of.
Just wanna know who is teaching the Hopkins goalie to "jump in the air" and rushing towards the ball carrier as they are tip toeing the crease ? Certainly no one is correcting it.......not shocked the Hopkins "fans" aren't correcting this "old school" method of playing goalie. In the modern game, the "successful" goalies are "flatearthers" (keeping feet on, or near, the goal line, almost always.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:32 am Marcille played better than this in 3 of the 4 games. And maybe Versfeld gets a pass because Junior didn't warm him up
Not sure why Marcille hasn't gotten a chance so far. In Gib's defense, he looked shaky when he first went in midgame cold while Towson had the EMO and was clearly fired up by the halftime speech. He settled down though by the fourth quarter.
Maybe you start him against GTown and if he isn't holding up, go with Marcille in the second half?
If it were me, I would just start Marcille. I don't think Kirson would make it to halftime tomorrow.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Agree...start Marcille !
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

After the Jacksonville game I said Joey needs to play better. Well, against Towson he scored six and the team won by six.

I very much agree with the decision to play Gib Versfeld to see what he can do. Certainly his first quarter in the cage was rough, but Towson did not score in his second quarter. Again, his last start in the regular season was about two years ago against Endicott, so he has some adjusting to do. It appears to me he is up for the job, but of course we will see if/when he gets another chance. Certainly Tim Marcille is an option, and I assume if the coaches thought he should play, then he would be playing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Marcille not playing until the "5th quarter" with reserves in the scrimmage against Denver would suggest he's at the bottom of the depth chart right now, but given the play in goal to date all options should be on the table. Versfeld didn't wow by any stretch but he did seem to settle down a bit and the D certainly played pretty well in front of him in that 4th quarter. I also thought he made a save (maybe two?) that he wasn't credited for but could have been my imagination.

Another good weekend for the B1G though PSU is now struggling with Villanova. Our pal Brett Baskin has a goal early.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HillsLax wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:13 pm After the Jacksonville game I said Joey needs to play better. Well, against Towson he scored six and the team won by six.

I very much agree with the decision to play Gib Versfeld to see what he can do. Certainly his first quarter in the cage was rough, but Towson did not score in his second quarter. Again, his last start in the regular season was about two years ago against Endicott, so he has some adjusting to do. It appears to me he is up for the job, but of course we will see if/when he gets another chance. Certainly Tim Marcille is an option, and I assume if the coaches thought he should play, then he would be playing.
Yes, Towson did not score in the 4th q, but that was due to very good defense. Towson was taking a bunch of shots, but few were on goal. If I recall, Gib had 2 of his saves in the 4th, one he had to work for and one I could have caught (shooter's stick was partially blocked so it was a softball on cage). I hope to be proven wrong, but am skeptical that Gib's the answer. Career d3 and then no action for 2 years, our schedule does not allow on-the-job training to get up to D1 shooter speed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Interesting take from Christian Swezey on the goalies...
Goalie situation at @jhumenslacrosse. I like what Milliman is doing. Looks like Danowski playbook: Let the older guys play themselves in or out of lineup. Milliman warms up the goalies, he knows what he has. I think he's aiming to be best in May, not (checks notes) February.
https://twitter.com/SwezeyLacrosse/stat ... 6319612930

I get what he's saying but, there probably won't be a May for this team if goalie play continues at 40% for much longer. Duke had the luxury of figuring things out against a total cakewalk of a non-con February schedule. That's not going to fly against Georgetown, UNC, UVA, etc.
HillsLax

Re: Cuse

Post by HillsLax »

The Cuse kids and coaches must be very, very happy with their opening drubbing. They certainly showed their character.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

lacrosse coaches don't say a lot, but nadalen had very nice praise by name for dunn-at the bottom of their site
https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-lacrosse

bunch of ex jays including a few I had forgotten about like lehigh's gomez contributed today. Baskin, cuse's jon cohen and of course murphy w/the terps all made the score sheets.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:56 pm Interesting take from Christian Swezey on the goalies...
Goalie situation at @jhumenslacrosse. I like what Milliman is doing. Looks like Danowski playbook: Let the older guys play themselves in or out of lineup. Milliman warms up the goalies, he knows what he has. I think he's aiming to be best in May, not (checks notes) February.

I get what he's saying but, there probably won't be a May for this team if goalie play continues at 40% for much longer. Duke had the luxury of figuring things out against a total cakewalk of a non-con February schedule. That's not going to fly against Georgetown, UNC, UVA, etc.
Disagree. If you want to make Final Fours, forget about your goalie if your offense can't can their shots.

At one point, Maryland had 16 goals on 30 shots.

I have no idea why D1 defenses have completely fallen apart in the shot clock era....but here we are. The number of hands free , feet set in concrete shots from 10 yards out I've seen in just a handful of games baffles me. I don't understand what coaches are doing. Put another way, it's over my head what they are doing.

But this is D1 lacrosse now. So if Hopkins keeps shooting at 24%? Forget Final four weekend. With the kids they have on O? I can't see why they can't hit 35-40%. They do that, all the goalie needs is one or two saves they shouldn't get, and you can win.

If I'm a D1 coach? I'm on every kid to take 100 shots a day in season, and 200 a day in the summer and fall. That's what the game is now. And the top 5 shooting teams are all north of 40% right now.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... t/team/563
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:04 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:56 pm Interesting take from Christian Swezey on the goalies...

Disagree. If you want to make Final Fours, forget about your goalie if your offense can't can their shots.

I have no idea why D1 defenses have completely fallen apart in the shot clock era....but here we are. The number of hands free , feet set in concrete shots from 10 yards out I've seen in just a handful of games baffles me. I don't understand what coaches are doing. Put another way, it's over my head what they are doing.

But this is D1 lacrosse now. So if Hopkins keeps shooting at 24%? Forget Final four weekend. With the kids they have on O? I can't see why they can't hit 35-40%. They do that, all the goalie needs is one or two saves they shouldn't get, and you can win.

If I'm a D1 coach? I'm on every kid to take 100 shots a day in season, and 200 a day in the summer and fall. That's what the game is now. And the top 5 shooting teams are all north of 40% right now.

Sorry to jump on the Hop thread, but there are a few reasons that I can think of for the high scores:

1. "Hold" in the offensive sticks (for one of Epstein's goals, he dropped his stick, but the ball stayed in it).
2. Defenders don't use the poke check with regularity. Too much emphasis in body positioning.
3. No checking in front of the crease.
4. Offenses are moving the ball better. During Towson's "run" they looked very good. 2/3rds of JHU's goals were assisted.
5. In a good "run" of scoring, offenses wear down defenders.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
molo

Post by molo »

In other words, take a page out of 32’s playbook. From what I understand, he’s no stranger to a bucketful of balls and a couple of hundred shots.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Data is only for one game. Hopkins shot 37% vs. Towson.
a fan

Post by a fan »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:55 pm In other words, take a page out of 32’s playbook. From what I understand, he’s no stranger to a bucketful of balls and a couple of hundred shots.
Yes!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 pm

Data is only for one game. Hopkins shot 37% vs. Towson.
I know. I'm simply saying, don't give up because you're unhappy with your goalie......I think you have six kids who can shoot 40%. If they shoot like that v Gtown? I like their odds.
a fan

Post by a fan »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 pm Sorry to jump on the Hop thread, but there are a few reasons that I can think of for the high scores:

1. "Hold" in the offensive sticks (for one of Epstein's goals, he dropped his stick, but the ball stayed in it).
Are we back to keyhole sticks or something? I"m not up on all the stick tech anymore.
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 pm 2. Defenders don't use the poke check with regularity. Too much emphasis in body positioning.
4. Offenses are moving the ball better. During Towson's "run" they looked very good. 2/3rds of JHU's goals were assisted.
Why weren't these things happening before the shot clock?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Only 4 teams shot 35% or better last year. In 2019 it was 3. Also, while in 2021 all the F4 teams were Top 10 in sh% and shot at worst 32.6%, in 2019 after Penn State who was thermonuclear; Virginia and Duke were 14th and 15 at 31%, and Yale shot 29%.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 pm Sorry to jump on the Hop thread, but there are a few reasons that I can think of for the high scores:

Are we back to keyhole sticks or something? I"m not up on all the stick tech anymore.
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 pm 2. Defenders don't use the poke check with regularity. Too much emphasis in body positioning.
Why weren't these things happening before the shot clock?
Good questions. While imperfect, my thoughts are below:

For 1, 2 and 3, I agree. These were happening before the shot clock. I'd argue that these trends are increasing each year as new crops of players come to the collegiate ranks. As for the sticks, mesh and sidewall technology are improving each year. These both improve "hold" and (possibly more important with regard to the shot clock) improve passing and shooting accuracy by making more precise pocket design possible.

As to 4, the shot clock forces teams to practice more ball movement, and decreases focus on dodging and one-on-one play that takes more time. Unrelated to the shot clock, I think that the emphasis on box lacrosse for training, and the greater numbers of Canadian players in the US college game has also improved ball movement.

With relation to 5, the shot clock allows teams on a "run" to wear down the defense with multiple sustained offensive sets. Since (typically) offensive substitutions are more common, it's easier for a fast offense to wear down a defensive unit. For example at the end of Towson's third quarter run, the JHU defense began to look tired and less responsive.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You disagree with what, exactly? That you don't need decent goalie play to make a run in May? When's the last time a team made a Final Four with 40% goalie play?

Anyway this is a non sequitur that doesn't even make sense on its own terms because Hopkins finished 12th in the country in shooting % last year, ahead of three quarterfinal teams. That was one of the team's strengths — honestly, it might have been its only strength.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”