media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: media matters

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:00 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:08 pm USA Today: "There are no crack pipes in the safe smoking kit."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 736281001/

Also USA Today: Embeds link for "Safe Smoking Kit" in story above that shows crack pipe included in a Safe Smoking Kit.
Which link?

Everything I see says nope, no crack pipes...the only one that suggests otherwise is the Washington Free Beacon one that cites an anonymous source...and it's very, very likely that it was simply misunderstood by the reporter.

But I may have missed what you're saying said otherwise.
The (bolded for you below) link in the paragraph that reads:

The original 75-page grant proposal from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which is housed in the Department of Health and Human Services, does not mention crack pipes. It does, however, mention "safe smoking kits/supplies."

Safe smoking kits, also called "safer" smoking kits, are designed to reduce health risks associated with drug use. Because open wounds and sores increase the risk of disease transmission, the kits often include first-aid materials, according to the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition, a grassroots advocacy organization. They also sometimes include glass pipe stems and mouthpieces to prevent health issues associated with makeshift smoking devices, according to Harm Reduction International, a nongovernmental organization in the United Kingdom.

The example of a “safer smoking kit” uses this embedded link:

https://www.interiorhealth.ca/sites/def ... pplies.pdf

With crack pipe.
well, obviously that proves the Biden Admin is distributing crack pipes... :roll:

But seriously, thanks for explaining how deep one would need to go to begin to make this make any sense as an accusation. But no crack pipes means no crack pipes.
This needs to be included in health classes in our public schools.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:00 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:08 pm USA Today: "There are no crack pipes in the safe smoking kit."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 736281001/

Also USA Today: Embeds link for "Safe Smoking Kit" in story above that shows crack pipe included in a Safe Smoking Kit.
Which link?

Everything I see says nope, no crack pipes...the only one that suggests otherwise is the Washington Free Beacon one that cites an anonymous source...and it's very, very likely that it was simply misunderstood by the reporter.

But I may have missed what you're saying said otherwise.
The (bolded for you below) link in the paragraph that reads:

The original 75-page grant proposal from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which is housed in the Department of Health and Human Services, does not mention crack pipes. It does, however, mention "safe smoking kits/supplies."

Safe smoking kits, also called "safer" smoking kits, are designed to reduce health risks associated with drug use. Because open wounds and sores increase the risk of disease transmission, the kits often include first-aid materials, according to the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition, a grassroots advocacy organization. They also sometimes include glass pipe stems and mouthpieces to prevent health issues associated with makeshift smoking devices, according to Harm Reduction International, a nongovernmental organization in the United Kingdom.

The example of a “safer smoking kit” uses this embedded link:

https://www.interiorhealth.ca/sites/def ... pplies.pdf

With crack pipe.
well, obviously that proves the Biden Admin is distributing crack pipes... :roll:

But seriously, thanks for explaining how deep one would need to go to begin to make this make any sense as an accusation. But no crack pipes means no crack pipes.
This needs to be included in health classes in our public schools.
I'm not sure I understand your point if at all serious.

I sure as heck think kids should indeed learn the actual chemistry and physiological effects of these drugs and why they are so incredibly dangerous, especially in the unregulated world, but also in general. I'd start with opioids and how use for short term pain can so easily lead to unrelenting addiction and ultimately death. But cover it all...kids can actually understand if given a full chance to do so.

I'd also teach how dangerous various forms of these drugs are and in their specific unregulated usage in other ways as well, particularly around the spread of diseases.

Seems to me that the content could be well produced and use video etc form so as to ensure impact and understanding. We laugh about the old 'health movies' we used to have to watch in school; this really can be done far better if focused on the science, not the preachiness. I'm not sure if anyone has tackled that, but certainly could be done...I'll ask my sister in law who is a health science middle school teacher...seems to me that the heavier science aspects should come a bit later, but concepts certainly can be addressed at various ages.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Because the science didn’t exist when they were growing up it’s invalid to teach now is what’s being said…it’s scary and foreign so should be avoided.

Folks seem to forget people like Nietzsche were drug addicts. Drugs were heavily used by Greeks as well. Just a narrow worldview. We’ve only begun to develop useful brain scans on the level of MRIs but they are fascinating to see with various substances in them. Learned about this myself last year.

https://www.amenclinics.com/blog/10-way ... ddictions/

I will say I was concerned that my daughter in 2nd grade comes home and is telling me “did you know the world is overpopulated and that we are destroying it?”. That may be a reasonable conclusion (moreso the second part) but it struck me as far too complex to present in a manner that a 7yr old would take it home in that way (and at least with the stupid national tests she’s in the low-mid 90s percentile, the boy is too 2-3% in 3rd but he’s pulling the same last second work, skate by ish I did and I’m not letting him fall into the just go to Hobart because you got a piece from a college girl on a overnight visit when “low ivies and other doors were opened” trap I did-hes better than me)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://i.imgur.com/xyELJYa.png

right wing double standards, much?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm Image

The greatest part of any advancement in society is ultimately the good guys win. Always.

So as Twitter, Google, and the entire mainstream media tried to choke off information and debate, doing everything they could to monopolize data and voices (suspending accounts that scared the truthful NYPost story on Hunter, anyone?), genius marketing business guys like Rupert Murdoch/Rush Limbaugh created Fox and talk radio. When libs tried to shut those down, creative Internet guys gave us Rumble, GiveSendGo, Substack, and now GETTR.

The people will anyways beat the totalitarian goons. Always.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 am Because the science didn’t exist when they were growing up it’s invalid to teach now is what’s being said…it’s scary and foreign so should be avoided.

Folks seem to forget people like Nietzsche were drug addicts. Drugs were heavily used by Greeks as well. Just a narrow worldview. We’ve only begun to develop useful brain scans on the level of MRIs but they are fascinating to see with various substances in them. Learned about this myself last year.

I will say I was concerned that my daughter in 2nd grade comes home and is telling me “did you know the world is overpopulated and that we are destroying it?”. That may be a reasonable conclusion (moreso the second part) but it struck me as far too complex to present in a manner that a 7yr old would take it home in that way (and at least with the stupid national tests she’s in the low-mid 90s percentile, the boy is too 2-3% in 3rd but he’s pulling the same last second work, skate by ish I did and I’m not letting him fall into the just go to Hobart because you got a piece from a college girl on a overnight visit when “low ivies and other doors were opened” trap I did-hes better than me)
Here's the good news...your daughter came home and wanted to have a conversation on an interesting topic. Sure, complex as all get out and who knows what and how she learned to even start such a discussion, but treasure the notion that she's intrigued...and actually wants to talk to dad!

Hopefully there will be many more such discussions.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm

The greatest part of any advancement in society is ultimately the good guys win. Always.

So as Twitter, Google, and the entire mainstream media tried to choke off information and debate, doing everything they could to monopolize data and voices (suspending accounts that scared the truthful NYPost story on Hunter, anyone?), genius marketing business guys like Rupert Murdoch/Rush Limbaugh created Fox and talk radio. When libs tried to shut those down, creative Internet guys gave us Rumble, GiveSendGo, Substack, and now GETTR.

Funny thing is, the right wingers are the ones who censor everyone else. This because they hate the truth.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:32 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Funny thing is, the right wingers are the ones who censor everyone else. This because they hate the truth.

Substack is the home of divergent voices (the #1 producer is a liberal), yet because they also host heterodox thinkers like Greenwald and Weiss, libs accuse Substack management as being racists, fascists, anti trans, you name it (we all know the slings by now). And they’ve targeted the CEO as a result. lol
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Petey,

Substack is the home of divergent voices (the #1 producer is a liberal), yet because they also host heterodox thinkers like Greenwald and Weiss, libs accuse Substack management as being racists, fascists, anti trans, you name it (we all know the slings by now). And they’ve targeted the CEO as a result. lol

Delusional right wingers call anyone who dares disagree with them as "commie" "fellow traveler" 'leftover left' 'anti-white' and every other manner of epithet. Ironic in that many political lefties have far longer careers in the military and public service than they do.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 am Because the science didn’t exist when they were growing up it’s invalid to teach now is what’s being said…it’s scary and foreign so should be avoided.

Here's the good news...your daughter came home and wanted to have a conversation on an interesting topic. Sure, complex as all get out and who knows what and how she learned to even start such a discussion, but treasure the notion that she's intrigued...and actually wants to talk to dad!

Hopefully there will be many more such discussions.
Oh I welcome and encourage all of those with both. She’s just cut differently than my son who’s naturally intellectually curious and devours information. She’s more narrow in focus and literal, but there’s time she’s not 8 until this summer.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:22 pm
Petey,

Delusional right wingers call anyone who dares disagree with them as "commie" "fellow traveler" 'leftover left' 'anti-white' and every other manner of epithet. Ironic in that many political lefties have far longer careers in the military and public service than they do.

The left are looking to blacklist Glenn Greenwald.

Leftists only disagree with about 10% of what Greenwald believes but want him erased.

Conservatives disagree with 90% and still want to hear what he has to say.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

100% of all patriots want Kaepernick back in the NFL where he belongs. Ditto for the Dixie Chicks and Kathy Griffin on the airwaves.

100% of all RepubliCONs say otherwise.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kathy Griffin isn’t funny come on son. And Kap wouldn’t have it now. 2-3yrs ago fine but at this stage it’s over. He was nasty in the NFC championship game ten years ago though. Went to that game, a prelude to future Falcons failures.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Judge in the Palin defamation case against the Times says he will direct a verdict in favor of the Times due to a failure to show actual malice, if the jury returns a verdict in favor of Palin. Jury has the case now.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 am Judge in the Palin defamation case against the Times says he will direct a verdict in favor of the Times due to a failure to show actual malice, if the jury returns a verdict in favor of Palin. Jury has the case now.
Left with the jury to finish because the judge is assuming there will be an appeal and cutting off the jury before they render a verdict might make that process more complicated.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:07 pm Kathy Griffin isn’t funny come on son. And Kap wouldn’t have it now. 2-3yrs ago fine but at this stage it’s over. He was nasty in the NFC championship game ten years ago though. Went to that game, a prelude to future Falcons failures.

Griffin never was funny tbh. Very difficult to even look at also, which if we are being honest, isn’t exactly a recipe for broadcasting success.

Kapernick, not sure about. I think he’s got the talent, but you’re buying a locker room headache, not to mention fan rebellion, far more divisive (possibly) than a guy like AB. Count me as a fan of the guy, but he chose his path and that path does not include playing again.

Enis Kanter just got released, but our woke holies don’t seem to be howling about that.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:48 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 am Judge in the Palin defamation case against the Times says he will direct a verdict in favor of the Times due to a failure to show actual malice, if the jury returns a verdict in favor of Palin. Jury has the case now.
Left with the jury to finish because the judge is assuming there will be an appeal and cutting off the jury before they render a verdict might make that process more complicated.
Jury brings back a verdict in favor of the Times.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:49 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:07 pm Kathy Griffin isn’t funny come on son. And Kap wouldn’t have it now. 2-3yrs ago fine but at this stage it’s over. He was nasty in the NFC championship game ten years ago though. Went to that game, a prelude to future Falcons failures.

Griffin never was funny tbh. Very difficult to even look at also, which if we are being honest, isn’t exactly a recipe for broadcasting success.

Kapernick, not sure about. I think he’s got the talent, but you’re buying a locker room headache, not to mention fan rebellion, far more divisive (possibly) than a guy like AB. Count me as a fan of the guy, but he chose his path and that path does not include playing again.

Enis Kanter just got released, but our woke holies don’t seem to be howling about that.
You’re a misogynistic effing troll.

A rump hole to boot.

(Sorry admin, I recognize this should get me into the penalty box for the first time, but I couldn’t help myself. The guy’s just an obnoxious dirt bag.)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:36 pm

A rump hole to boot.

(Sorry admin, I recognize this should get me into the penalty box for the first time, but I couldn’t help myself. The guy’s just an obnoxious dirt bag.)

You’re not going to get booted sclaxattack…I certainly won’t report you. And I doubt anyone else will.

In all events, why don’t you try muting me?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:36 pm

A rump hole to boot.

... you didn't call him anything his mother hasn't. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”