NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SaltCounty

Re: NESCAC

Post by SaltCounty »

nehslaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:11 am Intersting you have Williams and Wesleyan so high based upon the major contributors that are no longer a part of both teams. This rating seems to be more about last year than this year imo.
I hear you on that.
But I don't think NE Lax Journal is wrong to rank them 2 & 3 based on how they did with what/who they had during the COVID season.

4 through 11 though...
Those spots could go a lot of different ways.

You think Midd would be way higher... or at least Top 8 in a preseason ranking !
They've got older guys who played key roles in 19 & 20, with big recruits stepping on campus (IE Billy Curtis)
But who really knows what they're going to look like after losing almost 2 seasons.

In this league, more than any at the D3 level, I think timing plays a big role in how things shake out.
Who you play when can almost make or break a season.
smoova

Post by smoova »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 am In this league, more than any at the D3 level, I think timing plays a big role in how things shake out.
Great observation - a lot will start to shake out by mid-March. I think the following games will be particularly interesting:

3/5
Midd v Bowdoin
Colby v Tufts
Williams v Trinity
Bates v Wes
3/12
Colby v Williams
Trinity v Bates
Conn v Midd
Amherst v Tufts

Colby certainly has a challenging conference start.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 am
nehslaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:11 am Intersting you have Williams and Wesleyan so high based upon the major contributors that are no longer a part of both teams. This rating seems to be more about last year than this year imo.
I hear you on that.
But I don't think NE Lax Journal is wrong to rank them 2 & 3 based on how they did with what/who they had during the COVID season.

4 through 11 though...

You think Midd would be way higher... or at least Top 8 in a preseason ranking !
They've got older guys who played key roles in 19 & 20, with big recruits stepping on campus (IE Billy Curtis)
But who really knows what they're going to look like after losing almost 2 seasons.

In this league, more than any at the D3 level, I think timing plays a big role in how things shake out.
To me the league is pretty wide open this year and hard to handicap. Tufts, specifically, seems to have a big youth movement going on defense/goal and the graduation of Helfrich leaves a big unknown at FO, as Hesse is now listed as a midfielder on their roster. The attack will be dynamic, per usual, but my guess is there will be more reliance on underclassmen to contribute that usual.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JumboFan4 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:39 am
I hear you on that.

4 through 11 though...

To me the league is pretty wide open this year and hard to handicap. Tufts, specifically, seems to have a big youth movement going on defense/goal and the graduation of Helfrich leaves a big unknown at FO, as Hesse is now listed as a midfielder on their roster. The attack will be dynamic, per usual, but my guess is there will be more reliance on underclassmen to contribute that usual.
It is interesting, this is the first year where all of Dalys recruits are gone from the Tufts roster. They seem to have continued their dominance recruiting the NESCAC with Jon Thompson’s departure from Amherst. They are the favorites until they are dethroned, but they aren’t entering the season as a sure thing IMO.
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

Midd has a few freshmen that will impress this year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Anybody heading to Tufts today for the Dartmouth scrimmage? Should be a good one. Tufts lost a lot from last season, and the Big Green will be out for blood and playing with a full roster unlike last year.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:29 pm
JumboFan4 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:39 am
I hear you on that.

4 through 11 though...

It is interesting, this is the first year where all of Dalys recruits are gone from the Tufts roster. They seem to have continued their dominance recruiting the NESCAC with Jon Thompson’s departure from Amherst. They are the favorites until they are dethroned, but they aren’t entering the season as a sure thing IMO.
The Jumbos reload, in addition to the current great players, will be intriguing. Wesleyan, Williams and Middlebury have large parts of their rosters who did not play last season, and those teams will be fun to watch develop.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Flag Down

Post by Flag Down »

Tufts up 8-4 after 1 and 11-7 at half. Tufts goalie has been big and #33 has been shooting at a high percentage and Tufts has been pushing transition, as usual. Faceoff has been about 50/50. Dartmouth has scored on a few crease looks with slow 2 slides. Nice day for lacrosse!
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

Flag Down wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:11 pm Tufts up 8-4 after 1 and 11-7 at half. Tufts goalie has been big and #33 has been shooting at a high percentage and Tufts has been pushing transition, as usual. Faceoff has been about 50/50. Dartmouth has scored on a few crease looks with slow 2 slides. Nice day for lacrosse!
Who is taking the draws?
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Amherst takes down Bentley 17-11. Lots of great plays on both sides. #31 and #6 for amherst led the way in scoring. Looks like the mammoths are back for revenge
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Tanyr is a slick supper shifty attackman..PJ is one of a few of the remaining JT players. Was a key contributor first few games before Covid. Jake Bennet was also a big middie in the fall..not sure if he’s on roster for spring
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Flag Down wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:11 pm Tufts up 8-4 after 1 and 11-7 at half. Tufts goalie has been big and #33 has been shooting at a high percentage and Tufts has been pushing transition, as usual. Faceoff has been about 50/50. Dartmouth has scored on a few crease looks with slow 2 slides. Nice day for lacrosse!
As noted, Tufts up 11- 7 at half, and then Tufts started subbing its 2nd/3rd line guys across the board. Dartmouth kept running its starters and tied it up in 3rd. Tufts pulled away again by a few, but basically played its bench in the 4th and the "scrimmage" ended in a 17-17 draw. They reset the scoreboard and played a 5th quarter, and Tufts Freshmen were up 4-0 on Dmouth Freshman at the end of the 5th.

That's my recollection at least.
Flag Down

Post by Flag Down »

Bonkboo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:43 pm Believe the WNE/Conn scrimmage is at Conn. Eastern Conn also in attendance.
Any word on how things went?
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Flag Down wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:11 am
Bonkboo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:43 pm Believe the WNE/Conn scrimmage is at Conn. Eastern Conn also in attendance.
Curious to know how games in Middletown went yesterday.
Wesleyan was 1st of 6 NESCAC opponents for Babson this year.
Imagine both programs treated it like a real contest

Anyone have info on Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Midd, Hamilton or Williams scrimmage plans?
The window for Bowdoin - Williams is closing.
A lot of New England / NY seasons begin next Saturday.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Flag Down wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:11 am
Scrimmage was suppose to be today, but cancelled due to weather.
lax1983

Post by lax1983 »

Bowdoin scrimmaged MIT - I don't know many details other than it was 5-4 MIT after Q1.
Ddw1

Post by Ddw1 »

Bates is scheduled to scrimmage Colby on Wednesday.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

Waldbaum making easy work of Duke today with 4 first half goals.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
Unknown Participant

JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:58 pm Waldbaum making easy work of Duke today with 4 first half goals.
Yeah, a beast ... funny how getting out of Medford made him the top offensive option
Unknown Participant

smoova wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:32 am
SaltCounty wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 am In this league, more than any at the D3 level, I think timing plays a big role in how things shake out.
Great observation - a lot will start to shake out by mid-March. I think the following games will be particularly interesting:

3/5
Midd v Bowdoin
Colby v Tufts
Williams v Trinity
Bates v Wes
3/12
Colby v Williams
Trinity v Bates
Conn v Midd
Amherst v Tufts

Colby certainly has a challenging conference start.
Smoova ... no offense to the mules, but that 3/5 game is likely going to be ugly. Although if it's not, that will certainly say something.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”