Towson

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Towson

Post by 10stone5 »

Tigers got some votes in the Media poll for top 20.

More telling is the CAA coaches poll which had the Tigers
4th. No number 1 votes from any of the coaches, but I’d
guess a coach or two had them placed as forecast 2nd.

Me, I’ve got Tigers-Hens in bracket 1 in the CAA,
Tigers-Hens as pick ‘em in the CAA.
molo

Post by molo »

Towson’s in Baltimore County. Loyola and Hopkins are in Baltimore City. Is SN the best DI coach in Baltimore County? If you think he’s better than Rymo of UMBC, which is also in Baltimore County, then he would be the best in that political subdivision. For those who are not from Maryland, we have 23 counties and Baltimore City, which is not in a county. Of course, you can live outside of Baltimore City and have a mailing address of Baltimore since zip codes don’t follow the city/county boundary. Confusing, yes, but it’s a quirky state. I’ve lived here for the better part of 72 years and have yet to figure the place out.
Even more confusing: has Hopkins turned things around, or are they in for another rough season? Sounds like Towson’s upgraded since last year.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Agree with a lot of what is said above. Until this team has a quality win or two, they do not deserve to be ranked. That being said, I think this team has the makings to be in the rankings week in, week out. Excited to see how they play on Friday against a Hopkins team that certainly will want to play better than last week.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

So “Book it Danno” Towson wins CAA. Pm me, taking all action. As confident as I am , will ask for 4-1 odds since the ones that know more than I, have us predicted 4th. 14-8 Towson Friday
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Neverplaydown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:58 pm So “Book it Danno” Towson wins CAA. Pm me, taking all action. As confident as I am , will ask for 4-1 odds since the ones that know more than I, have us predicted 4th. 14-8 Towson Friday
lol. 4 to 1. you're uber confident!!!
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Congrats to Hopkins. They were sharp most of the night and played almost flawless lacrosse for the 2nd and 4th quarters. I can understand (I guess) the issues at the X, but defensively, we have mostly veterans and a veteran goaltender, who for some reason, played the entire game, despite allowing 18 goals.

The third quarter showed that this team has a ton of potential if they can go 50% on face-offs and sharpen it up on D. A work-in-progress.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Berkeley and DiMaio, of course.
DiMaio should work on shot placement, which, that
must be why he saw limited time with the Terps.
But, DiMaio also can make crunch time plays,
evidently, like the one at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Berkeley is a load and difficult to cover,
Tigers need him to stay healthy and confident.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Tough one, and with the upcoming schedule this could get ugly quick. Need to figure out a way to win 45% of face offs, double pole, I don’t know?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Towson offense played well except for some untimely turnovers. Berkeley is a beast and DiMaio is not afraid to shoot. Milani looked good at midfield.

Defense had a horrific first half. They sat back and let Hopkins do whatever they wanted. Got a lot more aggressive in the second half. Reminded me of the way Towson defense played three years ago.

Gotta straighten that out quickly with the schedule they put together. I’m sure they will. Too much talent on defense.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Offense had its moments. Too many turnovers in the first half. On a positive note, the first midfield had 8 of the 12 goals. Attack looks like it has two good pieces. I just don't understand not shutting off Epstein after he scored a few goals. Take hime out of the game. I have watched Towson play zone going back to the last second loss vs Maryland in the playoffs a few years ago. I would love to know what the analytics say about their zone. My guess going zone they give up a goal at least 60 percent of the time. Faceoffs and groundballs win games. The faceoff situation has got to get better. The freshman performed better in the second half.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Epstein Second Qtr:
5 goals
9 shots
4 of the goals assisted .
Ugh
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Well this team still has a ways to go. There was definitely glimpses of what this team could be and should be, but faceoffs and lack of possessions were killer again. I just don't understand the decision to check into zone defense, the strength of this defense is their physicality but Hopkins exposed them early with picks - this will definitely need to be fixed. Seemed like there were points where Shane was hung out to dry. A second midfield line really needs to be groomed, cause the first line can only do so much. Berkeley is a playmaker and looks like they finally have a middie that can create offense by burying shots and drawing slides (haven't had this since Monahan left - another Maryland transfer). All this being said, it is only the first game and they could've easily folded when they got down big. Congrats to Hopkins, they deserved to win and they are only getting better. A lot needs to be cleaned up and this schedule is only going to get harder.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

sc lax wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:27 am Well this team still has a ways to go. There was definitely glimpses of what this team could be and should be, but faceoffs and lack of possessions were killer again. I just don't understand the decision to check into zone defense, the strength of this defense is their physicality but Hopkins exposed them early with picks - this will definitely need to be fixed. Seemed like there were points where Shane was hung out to dry. A second midfield line really needs to be groomed, cause the first line can only do so much. Berkeley is a playmaker and looks like they finally have a middie that can create offense by burying shots and drawing slides (haven't had this since Monahan left - another Maryland transfer). All this being said, it is only the first game and they could've easily folded when they got down big. Congrats to Hopkins, they deserved to win and they are only getting better. A lot needs to be cleaned up and this schedule is only going to get harder.
Also that failed clear at the beginning of the fourth was killer. If they convert there, we might be looking at a different score. Can't live in the coulda, woulda, shoulda world - they need to clean up the clearing as well.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Something's wrong with the Towson highlights link. It plays for only one second. :(
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I put a new link in.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Big game for Tigers today against the Mount. This will not be a small task, seems like every year the Mount gives Towson a strong fight and they play hard despite their lack of talent. This is a massive opportunity for the Tigers to get right and a chance to find out what this team does successfully. Faceoffs have to get better, if they struggle again then they should throw Morin and Barsz out there to cause havoc - there's a lot to be excited about with those two. They shouldn't go to zone defense that's for sure, the close defense is way better than they showed against Hopkins. Offensively, the transition game seemed to work at times but I would like to see them play some settled 6v6. They also need to continue to develop the 2nd midfield line. Regardless, they can't look ahead to Saturday - they need to focus on the task at hand and play clean lacrosse today.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ugh...towson uses flolive for streaming service. what a bummer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

I saw that. They were using LSN.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I hope they pick up the pace.

If MSM’s goalie is making lots of saves,
then volume comes into play,
lots of on goal shots for the Tigers.