CAA 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
foreverlax

Re: Colonial Athletic Association

Post by foreverlax »

Drexel has a win over #19 'Nova, who beat #1 Yale

Hofstra has a win over #20 Leigh, who beat #16 Colgate, #17 Army and #15 Rutgers

Towson has wins over #7 Hop (win over #15 UNC), #16 Gtown and #1 Loyola (#6 UVA, #15 Hop, #18 Rutgers)

Assuming TU makes the CAA's - if either Drexel of Hoftra beats Towson and wins the CAA, they should get a somewhat decent seeding.

Waaay to early....lot's will change.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am Of the three wins yesterday, I am especially interested in Fairfield's. As the Stags also beat Sacred Heart, I'm starting to wonder if Fairfield plays better, more like a true team with every player being important, than they did with the erstwhile freshman phenom from Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island. It will be interesting to see how Fairfield fares in conference play.
Yes.
Fairfield is being overlooked.
Partly because their season has been so bi-polar.
The win over SHU was very good.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

coach t mentioned some guys hurt in the postgame conference- how serious?
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Watched Fairfield's OT win yesterday against Bryant. The Stages let a 3 goal lead slip away in the 4th Q. In OT they got lucky when a goal by Bryant was waived off for a crease violation when player dove (properly) across the front of the goal. Watching it, even though I'm a Stags fan, the goal should have counted. Stags have a Sophomore Strough, who had a hot hand yesterday, put the game away with his 6th goal of the contest for a 12-11 victory. Bryant was sloppy for the first 3 Q's and had 17 turnovers for the day.

A few takeaways. The Stags defense is porous, their keeper is a freshman and is learning the ropes. On the offense side of the ball, they have a few very capable guys. I disagree they're better off without Burke who in my opinion, besides having the ability to score, also had excellent field vision. Their offense is, and has been, very predictable over the last few seasons. Maybe they can come out with a few more W's if they can plug the holes in their D. One of their poles, Cosgrove #21, is excellent and is a difference maker.

After watching Duke/Utah last night, the Stags better take the Utes seriously because they don't stop playing from the beginning to final whistle. Duke finally figured out the Utes D and their keeper's weakness in the 3Q. Since the Stags shoot the ball pretty well from the outside, they need to go high and mix in bounce shots on Friday night.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Numbers are all over the board.
But laxbytes (laf, old LP) has Towson at number 7, estimated RPI at 5. Massey isn’t quite as keen on Tigers @ #9. Fanlax says Tigers are number 3.

Laxbytes likes UMass, they list them as a ‘quality’ team at #16, Massey likes UMass as well #16, Fanlax, no, instead Hens are #25.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

In OT they got lucky when a goal by Bryant was waived off for a crease violation when player dove (properly) across the front of the goal. Watching it, even though I'm a Stags fan, the goal should have counted.
I thought the player actually stepped in the crease before diving. Just how I saw it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Let’s face it.
This could be a one and five weekend.
Or it could be as good as a four and two weekend.

I will go with, I think a three and three weekend including one upset is entirely do-able.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Well, they got the one, barely.

I knew this dude could play some.
I was hoping one of the CAA teams would pick him up.
utah - 9
fairfield - 10
utah
Scoring
Jake Cantlon (2, 1)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good game from Drexel, but Hoyas a very solid team.
The difference was very good play in goal, Bucaro there is no stopping that guy, and better middie play, 13-10.

Tigers tie it at the end of the half on great play by Sunday, 6-6.

Hofstra, Hens both down at the half, DeLuca being outplayed by Darby, but a couple good saves by DeLuca to keep it close.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

All well played games, unfortunately all losses.
Matt DeLuca with the day’s best play, 15 saves, but what had been good defense folded at the end. 12-10.

Hofstra, sloppy play, Providence’s Tate Boyce was the difference with 16 saves, 11-10.

Tigers had a chance to open things up against Duke, but the O falters in the 4th quarter, just not enough shots on goal, Canto rebounded with 16 saves, and Woodall did dominate at the face off. 12-10.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Hofstra D invisible in Q1 as PC jumped out to a 5-0 lead. Back to the drawing board.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dutch are missing a couple good players.
Whit Stopak has been out the last two games.
Dylan McIntosh has been out several games.

Looks like Sterlyn Ardrey has the green light now, 3 goals on 7 shots yesterday.
ISL Laxin'

Post by ISL Laxin' »

Game highlights from Fairfield's big OT win over Utah!

https://quickstickblog.com/2019/03/16/q ... d-vs-utah/
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

when are the injured hofstra players due back?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Some really interesting games this Saturday, including Brown @ UMass, Hofstra @ Rutgers and Villanova @ Fairfield (Fairfield "should win" this evening @ NJIT); but for me the one to watch is Denver @ Towson, with Towson looking to bounce back from two straight losses following a spectacular start to the season, back on home turf where the Tigers are undefeated.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm Some really interesting games this Saturday, including Brown @ UMass, Hofstra @ Rutgers and Villanova @ Fairfield (Fairfield "should win" this evening @ NJIT); but for me the one to watch is Denver @ Towson, with Towson looking to bounce back from two straight losses following a spectacular start to the season, back on home turf where the Tigers are undefeated.
Yes.
Hopefully end OOC on a high note.

OOC this year has been difficult. But I do have CAA teams at 8-7 over the past two week OOC schedule.

Ws over, well not a lot of top Ws, but there is Villanova, Bryant, Saint John’s. Losses, well a lot, Cornell, Duke, Hopkins, Georgetown, OSU.

That’s a beat down. But like I said, still a chance to salvage something this weekend.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Gotta count Hop and Loyola as top/big wins for Towson.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Tough to figure out the CAA every year. This year is maybe the most baffling as far a early-season results. The conference has 26 wins and 19 losses against a mix of good and bad competition.

Fairfield (4-3) lost its opener 21-10 to a really young and struggling St. Joes squad. They also lost their senior leader Colin Burke who decided to transfer at the 11th hour. Rebounded nicely with wins over Sacred Heart and Bryant. Haven't beaten anyone of consequence yet, but seem to have the offense clicking better than last year with Burke at the helm.

Delaware (6-2) has had maybe the most predictable of seasons so far. 6 wins against teams they were supposed to beat and 2 losses (Hopkins and Villanova) to teams that were the favorites going in. Defense seems to be gelling and Matt DeLuca is making saves at an insane % .642. Offense needs to get clicking. Missing key contributors for much of the first half of the season.

Towson (5-2) big wins against Hopkins 17-8, Georgetown 14-8 and Loyola 12-10 to start the season and back-to-back disappointing losses to Cornell and Duke. Seemed like the clear early favorites to win CAA. Maybe not so clear anymore with the improvement of a couple squads. Will definitely take a decided advantage at the Face-off X with most teams losing their top guys from 2018 (Hofstra - Gallagher, Umass - Noah Rak, Delaware - Jake Hervada, Fairfield - Will Fox) and Woodall being his usual monster self. Possessions will be key to winning CAA.

UMass (5-3) started the season with tough losses to Army, Ohio State and Yale. They've rebounded nicely with a win against Albany and some other decent but not great teams. They still look tough as nails to me. They'll be tough team to steal away the CAA crown. Transition offense continues to be the Minutemen's strength.

Drexel (3-4) has great wins against Michigan 17-16 and Villanova 15-10. They mixed in a disappointing loss to Jacksonville 19-12. If the Dragons can play decent defense and get more consistent goaltending, they too will be a challenge in the CAA. Great offensive players. Maybe the best group in the CAA?

Hofstra (3-5) started the season out well with a road win at the undermanned Lehigh squad in frigid temps 4-3. But since then have suffered blow out losses at home to Georgetown 14-6 and Ohio State 14-8. They also had disappointing losses at home to Stony Brook and most recently Providence. I didn't have high hopes for the Pride this season with all of the losses they suffered to graduation and transfer (fogo Gallagher to Penn). I think most people were expecting more from this offense that has sputtered at times. Not sure what to expect when the CAA kicks into high gear.

This weekend's games will be interesting, but ultimately unimportant for all but one team as the CAA will most likely receive just one bid. But if the Tigers beat Denver and lose in the CAA finals, we could see a two-bid league again. Who knows? We shall see.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm Drexel (3-4) has great wins against Michigan 17-16 and Villanova 15-10. They mixed in a disappointing loss to Jacksonville 19-12. If the Dragons can play decent defense and get more consistent goaltending, they too will be a challenge in the CAA. Great offensive players. Maybe the best group in the CAA?

Hofstra (3-5) started the season out well with a road win at the undermanned Lehigh squad in frigid temps 4-3. But since then have suffered blow out losses at home to Georgetown 14-6 and Ohio State 14-8. They also had disappointing losses at home to Stony Brook and most recently Providence. I didn't have high hopes for the Pride this season with all of the losses they suffered to graduation and transfer (fogo Gallagher to Penn). I think most people were expecting more from this offense that has sputtered at times. Not sure what to expect when the CAA kicks into high gear.
Could be re: Drexel.
They have a good batch of midfielders. Colin Mailman ripped Nova with killer juke moves and flat out speed. Nick Fox looks like he’s playing hurt. Fox’s twin brother Nolan was switched to LSM and adds an offensive threat, and Cam Harris is steady. Unfortunately what was expected to be the best of the midfielders this year, Zach Mann, is off the roster.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm Tough to figure out the CAA every year. This year is maybe the most baffling as far a early-season results. The conference has 26 wins and 19 losses against a mix of good and bad competition.

Fairfield (4-3) lost its opener 21-10 to a really young and struggling St. Joes squad. They also lost their senior leader Colin Burke who decided to transfer at the 11th hour. Rebounded nicely with wins over Sacred Heart and Bryant. Haven't beaten anyone of consequence yet, but seem to have the offense clicking better than last year with Burke at the helm.

Delaware (6-2) has had maybe the most predictable of seasons so far. 6 wins against teams they were supposed to beat and 2 losses (Hopkins and Villanova) to teams that were the favorites going in. Defense seems to be gelling and Matt DeLuca is making saves at an insane % .642. Offense needs to get clicking. Missing key contributors for much of the first half of the season.

Towson (5-2) big wins against Hopkins 17-8, Georgetown 14-8 and Loyola 12-10 to start the season and back-to-back disappointing losses to Cornell and Duke. Seemed like the clear early favorites to win CAA. Maybe not so clear anymore with the improvement of a couple squads. Will definitely take a decided advantage at the Face-off X with most teams losing their top guys from 2018 (Hofstra - Gallagher, Umass - Noah Rak, Delaware - Jake Hervada, Fairfield - Will Fox) and Woodall being his usual monster self. Possessions will be key to winning CAA.

UMass (5-3) started the season with tough losses to Army, Ohio State and Yale. They've rebounded nicely with a win against Albany and some other decent but not great teams. They still look tough as nails to me. They'll be tough team to steal away the CAA crown. Transition offense continues to be the Minutemen's strength.

Drexel (3-4) has great wins against Michigan 17-16 and Villanova 15-10. They mixed in a disappointing loss to Jacksonville 19-12. If the Dragons can play decent defense and get more consistent goaltending, they too will be a challenge in the CAA. Great offensive players. Maybe the best group in the CAA?

This weekend's games will be interesting, but ultimately unimportant for all but one team as the CAA will most likely receive just one bid. But if the Tigers beat Denver and lose in the CAA finals, we could see a two-bid league again. Who knows? We shall see.
Good assessment, Henpecked. Any idea where Burke will land? He was a nice player for FF.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”