Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by OCanada »

HopFan 16. You impress me as someone who likes to embellish on their little knowledge or throw out crap and see if something sticks, i don’t think anyone died and left you in charge. To me you are infantile.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:16 am HopFan 16. You impress me as someone who likes to embellish on their little knowledge or throw out crap and see if something sticks, i don’t think anyone died and left you in charge. To me you are infantile.
so you DON'T want to talk about lacrosse. got it.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Podcast "Lacrosse Now" weekend preview is up...

attackman Joey Epstein previews big two-game weekend
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:25 pm Podcast "Lacrosse Now" weekend preview is up...

attackman Joey Epstein previews big two-game weekend
It starts at 23 in and it's a great interview from him. A lot more self awareness than we get from coaches and media on those things. LSN does a nice job but he has 10 goals, 18 turnovers, 4 games without goals and the team has 7 losses in those last 10 games. Need much much more from him especially while they're figuring out cole's replacement.

The jacksonville coach did his weekly pod and said nothing for the duration of the 10 minutes he was asked to discuss the hopkins game. Why even bother to do it.

Towsons game notes. Looks like they have IL's inability to proofread. Dunn/Callahan should have big games. Their goalie does not sound overwhelmingly talented but they have a veteran defense they're proud of. Interesting to see what our old friend shilling has now that he is a tiger.
https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/2/10 ... ights.aspx

As best I can tell, it's $30 to watch the georgetown game through their flo.tv streaming service. You sign up for one month.

deso profile from the nl
https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... d-business
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I wonder who will start Sunday?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:49 pm I wonder who will start Sunday?
I’ve played goalie.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:49 pm I wonder who will start Sunday?
I’ve played goalie.
Do you have any eligibility left?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Smith is an absolute menace. He has been absolutely everywhere tonight
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Tyler Dunn winning 62% of faceoffs this season (31 of 50). Kid is also a ground ball machine, with 18 GBs so far.

Hopkins defense has been a bit streaky, but they have looked good at times and the Blue Jays have 19 caused turnovers to date.

Key Hopkins players getting on track already, with Epstein, Grimes, DeSimone, Keough, Angelus, and Degnon already putting up some good numbers. As for Epstein … as I’ve said, work to give him a lot of touches and the three-time captain will be productive.

As for goalie play … the Blue Jays will need to keep working on that. :?

It’s hard to believe this is the first 2-0 start for Hopkins in five seasons. :shock:

Win 999 is in the bag. The Blue Jays are developing into a good team. They need to figure out what to do in goal. When they do that, Johns Hopkins is going to be a pretty tough team to beat.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Epstein, hi
- Dunn
- Degnon career game. He's a monster
- Decent start, great 2nd quarter, horrible 3rd quarter, solid finish. Towson was always going to make some kind of run, good job withstanding it and answering
- Clearing has taken a few years off my life. They struggle to clear even when they win a faceoff cleanly. A couple guys don't seem to trust their legs
- Smith second straight game with 3 and 2, plus a goal
- Kaufman got in there and came up with a big GB late
- Evans got some runs but didn't do much. Still finding the right combo on that second line
- Grimes playing more confident
- Jaronski got burned early but after that the shorties held up well again
- Keogh and Angelus solid again

I'd do anything for a goalie. I'm like that guy in the Fyre Festival documentary. You know the one. Just get me a goalie.

Georgetown will be a big test on a day's rest. We're onto the Hoyas.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

positives
-2-0/first time in 5 years, congrats to PM on the scheduling-you could tell who had played last week, epstein broke out, degnon/angelus look much stronger and more athletic, grimes finally broke through, dunn played a heck of a game for a young kid, I thought the ssdms were better than the score indicated and by my count they drew two penalties, towson seemed to want to stay away from lynes side of the field, 20 had a strong screen to set up an epstein goal, coaches were subbing liberally at lsm and ssdm and you could tell they had an eye on sunday, the defensive composure after the towson run was very strong as was the offenses ability to respond to the towson pressure, defense was supposed to be towsons strength and the offense came out very strong again, kaufman did not look like a freshman in his minutes. That was a rivalry game, if you're a recruit or fan you watch that and say every week I get to play a rival or power school and usually on a professional broadcast.

down
-goaltending-although I was impressed PM pulled kirson to give the other kid a look despite his 2 saves at the end of the first half, towson was posting their scoring clips and it looked like mcmanus and szulak really were burned a number of times, the second midfield unit was quiet and needs some juice, I thought 49 drew a penalty that wasn't called, another goal on manup for the other team.

whatever
school needs to do something special for 1k and Daniels needs to be on the field for the ceremony and to engage it. The one public appearance he's made up there the last few years I've seen covered was for him to be honored, not good. A lot of unsung heroes have made that 1k happen. Embarrassing for towson/caa that epstein was the halftime interview on their broadcast especially after he put up 6. Those all black uniforms are great especially at night. For the political folks towson apparently had its players meeting with fans after the game as part of their duties tonight. Mark Dixon/IL crying that the big ten doesn't have the cash to put out a decent lacrosse broadcast is ridiculous. He should be an adult, show his jhu education, and push for resources the sport has earned and which ESPN has given it for decades now. Towson/CAA did a wonderful job tonight. LOVED that lsn stuck w/the field after the game and showed the kids and the coaches talking about the game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:07 pm Smith is an absolute menace. He has been absolutely everywhere tonight
Yep … 3 GBs and 2 CTs, and the stats hardly tell the whole story.

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:46 pm positives
-2-0/first time in 5 years, congrats to PM on the scheduling-you could tell who had played last week, epstein broke out, degnon/angelus look much stronger and more athletic, grimes finally broke through, dunn played a heck of a game for a young kid, I thought the ssdms were better than the score indicated and by my count they drew two penalties, towson seemed to want to stay away from lynes side of the field, 20 had a strong screen to set up an epstein goal, coaches were subbing liberally at lsm and ssdm and you could tell they had an eye on sunday, the defensive composure after the towson run was very strong as was the offenses ability to respond to the towson pressure, defense was supposed to be towsons strength and the offense came out very strong again, kaufman did not look like a freshman in his minutes. That was a rivalry game, if you're a recruit or fan you watch that and say every week I get to play a rival or power school and usually on a professional broadcast.

down
-goaltending-although I was impressed PM pulled kirson to give the other kid a look despite his 2 saves at the end of the first half, towson was posting their scoring clips and it looked like mcmanus and szulak really were burned a number of times, the second midfield unit was quiet and needs some juice, I thought 49 drew a penalty that wasn't called, another goal on manup for the other team.

whatever
school needs to do something special for 1k and Daniels needs to be on the field for the ceremony and to engage it. The one public appearance he's made up there the last few years I've seen covered was for him to be honored, not good. A lot of unsung heroes have made that 1k happen. Embarrassing for towson/caa that epstein was the halftime interview on their broadcast especially after he put up 6. Those all black uniforms are great especially at night. For the political folks towson apparently had its players meeting with fans after the game as part of their duties tonight. Mark Dixon/IL crying that the big ten doesn't have the cash to put out a decent lacrosse broadcast is ridiculous. He should be an adult, show his jhu education, and push for resources the sport has earned and which ESPN has given it for decades now. Towson/CAA did a wonderful job tonight. LOVED that lsn stuck w/the field after the game and showed the kids and the coaches talking about the game.
LSN announcers did a nice job on the broadcast tonight.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:35 pm I'd do anything for a goalie. I'm like that guy in the Fyre Festival documentary. You know the one. Just get me a goalie.
That’s next level fandom.

Awesome to see Grimes getting more comfortable. Need to see more out of Peshko. Degnon has the shot and stroke of Fraser but way more of an athlete.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Was worried in the 2nd qtr. that Jays would get over confident. Tigers dispelled that in 3rd qtr. Towson has some offensive firepower, but there was too much lunging by #31 and #44.

Goalkeeping can only improve from here. Hopefully, all phases will start clicking soon as the gauntlet starts Sunday at GTown. Will be Hoyas 1st game. Conditions will be horrid with freezing temps and likely snow.

Thank goodness, Jays are stocked with Canadians.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:35 pm Goalkeeping can only improve from here.
I said that in 2019, and then in 2020, and then in 2021, and again before this season so I'm all out of hope at this point. At some point they might have to just throw the freshman out there and see if he's got something. Anyone's guess who starts on Sunday.
flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:35 pm I'd do anything for a goalie. I'm like that guy in the Fyre Festival documentary. You know the one. Just get me a goalie.

Awesome to see Grimes getting more comfortable. Need to see more out of Peshko. Degnon has the shot and stroke of Fraser but way more of an athlete.
Degnon adding a right-handed shot on the run might make him unstoppable.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Since I’m a glass half-full fan, these are positives after two games.

1. Dunn winning FOs at a .620 clip with 18 GBs means Narewski can wait until he is fully recovered.

2. Third attack position is solid with Grimes. Starting attack produced 10 goals vs. Towson.

3. Considering Jays have encountered better than average goaltending (30 saves), scoring at a 14.5 clip is not too shabby.

4. Seeing Keogh (knock on wood) on the scoresheet has been an unexpected bonus.

5. Degnon’s growth as an ambidextrous player who can shoot on the run just made defending the Jays more difficult.

6. Epstein’s breakout 2nd quarter should remind everyone that he is capable of taking over a game a la Ryan Brown.

7. It’s just a matter of time before Peshko gets more involved in the six on six offense. Then watch out.

8. Smith is living up to his five star rating. Could he become Jays’ shutdown defender?

9. After two failed clears to start the game, Jays finished 16 for 18. Good things happen when the ball is in Martin’s stick.

10. Think of all the players we have not seen: Fernandez, Narewski, Todaro, Phillips, Charboneau, Wong, et al. There’s considerable depth on this team.

11. Time to take the blindfolds off the goalies. Seeing the ball will work wonders.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's early - it will be interesting to see what Towson does the rest of the year. some nice things to see at this very early time:
- 18 goals/49 shots/31 SOGs/12 assists - the offense clearly carried the team.
- Dunn - while sometimes struggling with decisions - has held his own so far - if Narewski can someday return to full stength - that specialty department may not be a liability
- SSDMs have played well to date. I noted one moment where ther was a Tiger invert on Lilly I believe and he held his own without 4 different long sticks sliding to leave an uncontested step down. That would not have happened a few years ago.
- I guess the reports of Epstein's demise have been somewhat exaggerated. He should have had a couple more. Not a great defensive approach by Towson (I seem to recall some posts last year about the coaching as they applied to these two teams?). The next step will be can he consistently find the open man when teams slide to him like their hair is on fire.
- Angelus got stoned once by the goalie but 5 points and only 1 TO is solid work
- Degnon can bring it - but let's not get carried away
- Appearances by Kaufman and Evans got the magic number up to 25
- Smith can stay

Some not so nice things:
- There were some horrible appraches on defense - leaving both Kirson and Gibber out to dry
- Speaking of - once again the opposing goalie doubled up the Hopkins goalie positon on saves. I don't believe anyone can argue either one played well - time to see Sgt Friday IMO if he is not hurt. And while he did not TAKE Hopkins to the BIG title game - Marcille played better than this in 3 of the 4 games. And maybe Versfeld gets a pass because Junior didn't warm him up
- Ground balls Ground balls Ground balls - once again - after subtracting Dunn's ground balls versus the Tiger's FO crew - 50/50 ground balls were dead even. If this team was great off the ground they might be a real threat
- 15 turnovers - 9 after halftime - possession is 10/10ths of the law in sports
- While the clear percentage was reportedly 80% - relying on Martin every single time produces a bad side effect IMO - it increases his chance of injury and it could tire him out when you want him doing his real job in the 4th quarter guarding some Rutgers or Maryland midfielder. Plus 80% is not great and there were probably a couple more that were technically successful but not well executed and might have led to turnovers
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Awesome to see Grimes getting more comfortable. Need to see more out of
Peshko. Degnon has the shot and stroke of Fraser but way more of an athlete.
Yeah....woop woop.....2-0 :lol: Beat G-twon, than you can talk. (wood Drexel or Colgate fans get laughed out of the "good win" room come n$aa tourney time, when presenting "Jacksonville" ;) only a hand full of D1 teams that are pretty sure wins, "credible" remains subjective, for many, tho
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.instagram.com/graysonjons/
-you don't have to have instagram to watch the content. The first clip is the smith hit on epstein w/the sound. School has vastly improved the media.

Dan Arestia @danarestia Joey Epstein to Hopkins haters
-another lax media forum reader happily served

John C. Stark Almost 50 credentials issued for our first all-in regular season men's lacrosse game since March 2020. Announced crowd of 3,309, ninth-largest crowd in @Towson_Mlax's @CAASports Era (2002).
-on hand no doubt for our swan song to d3

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/2/1 ... o-2-0.aspx
-they used to post the full unedited videos of the post game news conferences. Epstein said towson going in and out of zone freed him up.

Doesn't look like there's a preview from Georgetown. Similar to Towson very confident in their defense but it's their first game and will be our third.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”