WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 pm I could watch a game like this easily. No commentators but with decent camera work and good field mics. This was from a couple few years ago when Loyola scored the tying and game-winning goals late in Happy Valley. As you can see and hear, plenty of excitement which I don’t think any commentator could add much to. Watching the ladies celebrate and enjoy their two goals and the win is elucidating enough for me any day. (Only three short months away now!)

I missed this game...is there a full game replay somewhere?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:06 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 pm I could watch a game like this easily. No commentators but with decent camera work and good field mics. This was from a couple few years ago when Loyola scored the tying and game-winning goals late in Happy Valley. As you can see and hear, plenty of excitement which I don’t think any commentator could add much to. Watching the ladies celebrate and enjoy their two goals and the win is elucidating enough for me any day. (Only three short months away now!)

I missed this game...is there a full game replay somewhere?
Unfortunately not, Doc. I remember just catching the last few minutes of it myself. (I think I spied a certain young lady with ribbons in her ponytail at the end of the clip there but I could be mistaken.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

As we get closer to the start of the 2022 season, I thought I would list some of the streaming services that I typically sign up for.

BTN Plus is a must for me as I enjoy the Big 10. $40 for an entire year was what I paid last February. I don't know if the price will go up now that the site has been "upgraded". The BTN+ player used to have a slo-mo feature but the "upgraded" player doesn't. However, the rewind and fast forward features come in handy for replays or missed action. The games are kept for at least a year after they are played whereas ESPN+ keeps games for about 3 weeks after they're played. Here's a screenshot of the player:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Next is ESPN+ which has a bevy of games from the ACC, Ivy, MAAC, Big South and other conferences. Without a doubt, most of the hundreds of games streamed last year were found there. The prescription price is now $6.99 (price hike again) per month which is still well worth it at this address for only 4 months.

OuttaNowhereWregget

There are other streaming services out there--I'm pretty sure the Big East has their own pay streaming service. The PAC 12 as well. I don't typically sign up with other services unless there's an absolute must watch game, but for me it rarely involves a PAC 12 matchup, but rather a PAC 12 team vs someone in the Big 10 or ACC. There are a lot of schools out there that stream their own broadcasts free, like home games at Johns Hopkins (HOPTV) or JMU (Madizone), for instance. The Patriot League has been free on WatchStadium. College Sports Live is another paid streaming service. They covered the Big East and other teams if I recall from the last time I subscribed to their service a couple years back. They offer some interesting free videos to watch here: https://www.collegesportslive.com/womens-lacrosse/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Another great resource for finding the stream/TV channel the game will be broadcast on is Twitter. On gameday (what an exciting word--gameday) one or both of the teams will tweet all the information needed to follow the game, including the link to both the stream/TV channel (if broadcast), and/or the link for "live stats" as well. Very handy.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Yet another good resource is the schedule page on the teams website. Typically, schools will publish all the needed info to view/follow the game as you can see from this screenshot of BU's website:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Thanks to them

We have sure come a long way in TV/streaming broadcast coverage for D1 women's lacrosse. Check this out from 2013:

OuttaNowhereWregget

ESPN to air hundreds of games this season

Here are the full articles from both IL Women and USA Lacrosse magazine:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... amed/58864

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... es-in-2022
OuttaNowhereWregget

The latest from Inside Lacrosse. Lazy on BC. Including Courtney Taylor, who wasn’t even on the team last year, while ignoring Sydney Scales is just plain lazy. Scales made offensive threats look like high schoolers during championship weekend ‘21.

“Women's Top Units: Defense
Monday February 7th, 2022

IL ranked the Top 5 attack, midfield and defensive units in DI lacrosse. 

1. North Carolina 

Phil Barnes has cranked out great defenders one after the other. After the graduation of Caroline Wakefield and Kayla Wood, Emily Nalls will step into a larger role for the Heels. The trademark slow-sliding defense that Carolina plays puts a large responsibility on the individual player to take smart angles on approaches and make good contact with their opponent.  The Tar Heels players make this concept look easy, dictating their attackers’ path and making them an extremely difficult unit to beat. 
Taylor Moreno (.546%, 22GB) — Moreno has consistently been one of the best goalkeepers in the country during her time at Carolina.  Through four years, she’s saved over half of the shots she’s seen, while achieving an impressive 48-6 record while in the cage.  Moreno earned National Goalkeeper of the Year, ACC Defender of the Year, and was a Tewaaraton Award finalist in her successful 2021 campaign.  In 2022, Moreno will once again be the backbone of the Carolina defense. 

Emma Trenchard (25GB, 17CT, 13DC) — Trenchard is hands down one of the most difficult 1v1 players for any attacker to go up against.  She has eliminated top players from games with her lockdown defense several times, while also initiating offensive transition opportunities for her team after a defensive stop. Trenchard earned first-team All-America honors in 2021 and heads into her fifth year back on our preseason All-America list.  

Emily Nalls (38GB, 20CT, 8DC) — Nalls finished the 2021 season as Carolina’s leader in groundballs and second in caused turnovers. The preseason honorable mention All-American started every game last year and will be expected to take on an even larger role for the Heels. 

2. Boston College 

The Eagles started 2021 as a young, inexperienced squad and finished with seasoned players who will now return with multiple years of eligibility remaining. That combined with key transfers has the Eagles set up to be dangerous on the defensive end.  

Courtney Taylor (67GB, 42CT, 58DC) — A key transfer for the Eagles, Taylor will spend her fifth year in Chestnut Hill after a highly successful career as an Owl.  Taylor will help anchor the Eagles defense as they chase a second national title. 

Hollie Schleicher (24GB, 13CT, 84DC) —Schleicher blossomed in 2021 as one of Boston College’s top defenders and key threats on the draw circle. The speedy defender snagged eight draw controls in the title game alone, helping her squad to victory. Schleicher earned first-team All-ACC honors in 2021 and starts 2022 as a second-team preseason All-American. 

Rachel Hall (.402%, 32 GB) — While unsteady in the regular season, Hall peaked at just the right time of the year for BC. Her Memorial Day Weekend performance was sensational and showed what a force she could be for her team. Hall will look to continue her momentum from May into 2022.

3. Stony Brook

Hard-nosed, gritty defense is in the Seawolves’ DNA.  Their trademark zone baits even the best attackers to make uncharacteristic mistakes, while Stony Brook capitalizes when the ball hits the ground.  

Rayna Sabella (32GB, 23CT, 10DC) — Sabella returns as the anchor on defense for the Seawolves after being honored with America East Co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2021. Now a graduate student, Sabella enters the 2022 season as an Inside Lacrosse preseason third-team All-American.  

Claire Levy (24GB, 25CT, 29DC)— Levy had an immediate impact for the Seawolves, starting every game for Stony Brook and earning second-team All-America East.  Now a sophomore, Levy’s key game experience will help Stony Brook climb up the Top 10 ranks this spring. 

Goalie Battle —Redshirt junior Kameron Halsall returns this spring, but will have to beat out fifth-year transfer from UVA, Charlie Campbell, for the starting spot in the crease.  No matter who wins the battle, the Seawolves are in good hands with these two as they both have plenty of big-game experience. 

4. Loyola 

The Greyhounds return several key pieces to their sixth-ranked scoring defense in 2021.  The Patriot League powerhouse will be seeking their sixth conference title in 2022 with the help of their veteran-heavy defense. 

Kaitlyn Larson (.491%, 20 GB) — After starting every game of the 2021 season, Larson was honored with the Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Year. Larson ranked fourth in Division I in goals against average and 11th nationally in save percentage. 

Katie Detwiler (20GB, 12CT, 41DC) — After successfully being Loyola’s top matchup defender, Detwiler earned Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2021.  An Inside Lacrosse preseason first-team All-American, Detwiler returns for her senior year poised to make an even bigger impact for the Greyhounds. 

Shay Clevenger (12GB, 14CT)— Clevenger started all but one game in 2021 and was tied for second on the team in caused turnovers.  Now a senior, Clevenger will return to make an even bigger impact for the Greyhounds. 

5. James Madison 

JMU’s historic 2018 National Championship was built off of their impenetrable zone defense. That theme has continued since as the Dukes rely on their veteran-heavy defense that is hunting for key wins after being knocked out of the CAA.  
Molly Dougherty (.506%, 21 GB) — Doughrety earned Most Outstanding Performer in the CAA Championship in 2021 as the Dukes clinched the conference championship. Dougherty ranks seventh at JMU in career saves and will look to climb that list in her redshirt senior year. 

Rachel Matey (13G, 9A, 19GB, 62DC) — Matey started all 17 games in 2021 in the midfield or defense, earning first-team All-CAA. Heading into 2022, Matey earned a spot on our honorable mention preseason All-American team.  An aggressive takeaway defender who can also create offense, Matey serves as a multidimensional threat. 

Maeraid Durkin (24GB, 26CT, 20DC) — Durkin started every game last season and will return as one of their veterans on the back line.  She earned second-team All-CAA last spring after ranking fifth in the CAA in caused turnovers per game (1.53).”
Booker

Post by Booker »

I truly enjoy doing the Women's broadcasts. The game is unique and exciting - and the talent is off the charts all across the country.
Thrilled to be able to be a part of it, if only just as a viewer .... I have the utmost respect for the incredible coaches and players ..... Booker :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Booker wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:58 pm I truly enjoy doing the Women's broadcasts. The game is unique and exciting - and the talent is off the charts all across the country.
Thrilled to be able to be a part of it, if only just as a viewer .... I have the utmost respect for the incredible coaches and players ..... Booker :D
That's a great gig. Must be a lot of fun. What's one of the most enjoyable games you've seen?
OuttaNowhereWregget

FloLive - Steer Right Clear!

I signed up with FloLive earlier this morning. I thought I was signing up for $12.50 a month and cancel anytime. Nope--it is deceptively worded on the website so clicking on the button immediately levied a $150.00 charge on my credit card--for the year. Upon further investigation, I found that this company only offers yearly subscriptions. I cancelled instantly and will now monitor my account to see when the refund is issued. I wrote FloLive. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company if FL doesn't issue a refund. I'm sure it will turn out okay. However--lest you want to go through something similar or if you don't mind shelling out $150.00 for 4 months of some games--Steer Right Clear!

Why can't companies conduct business on the up and up? Don't they realize it costs money to pay customer service reps and accounting reps to fix messes like this?
seacoaster

Re: FloLive - Steer Right Clear!

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:37 am I signed up with FloLive earlier this morning. I thought I was signing up for $12.50 a month and cancel anytime. Nope--it is deceptively worded on the website so clicking on the button immediately levied a $150.00 charge on my credit card--for the year. Upon further investigation, I found that this company only offers yearly subscriptions. I cancelled instantly and will now monitor my account to see when the refund is issued. I wrote FloLive. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company if FL doesn't issue a refund. I'm sure it will turn out okay. However--lest you want to go through something similar or if you don't mind shelling out $150.00 for 4 months of some games--Steer Right Clear!

Why can't companies conduct business on the up and up? Don't they realize it costs money to pay customer service reps and accounting reps to fix messes like this?
They've adopted the insurance company model.

Pay premiums for a rainy day.
Shoot, it's raining; help!!
Sorry, that's mist; not covered, but thanks for the premium.

For every one of you that get hit with the annual contract and immediately cancel, there are four who let it go.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: FloLive - Steer Right Clear!

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:16 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:37 am I signed up with FloLive earlier this morning. I thought I was signing up for $12.50 a month and cancel anytime. Nope--it is deceptively worded on the website so clicking on the button immediately levied a $150.00 charge on my credit card--for the year. Upon further investigation, I found that this company only offers yearly subscriptions. I cancelled instantly and will now monitor my account to see when the refund is issued. I wrote FloLive. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company if FL doesn't issue a refund. I'm sure it will turn out okay. However--lest you want to go through something similar or if you don't mind shelling out $150.00 for 4 months of some games--Steer Right Clear!

They've adopted the insurance company model.

Pay premiums for a rainy day.
Shoot, it's raining; help!!
Sorry, that's mist; not covered, but thanks for the premium.

For every one of you that get hit with the annual contract and immediately cancel, there are four who let it go.
You have such a great way of putting things, sea. One of the folks I most enjoy reading on these boards.

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure they run all the numbers beforehand to calculate how much they’ll make. They wouldn’t be doing it if the numbers didn’t bear out that one in four just let it go – and therein lies the profit.
Booker

Post by Booker »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:29 pm
Booker wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:58 pm I truly enjoy doing the Women's broadcasts. The game is unique and exciting - and the talent is off the charts all across the country.
That's a great gig. Must be a lot of fun. What's one of the most enjoyable games you've seen?
Lots of great ones !!
last year's D1 Final Four at Towson was insane. I was only there as a fan of the sport ..... The women's game is really on a roll ....
Last year's D3 championship weekend in Salem Va was unreal as well.
Loved the chance to broadcast the National Cup event in Dec in Tampa .... and the PSU and JHU game a couple years back was a highlight for me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Booker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:14 pm
and the PSU and JHU game a couple years back was a highlight for me.
I remember that game! You were alongside Rachael DeCecco! You had some funny lines and a great call of what was a tremendous game. A nailbiter with postseason implications. I hope you get to do more games. Women's lacrosse needs more play-by-play guys like you who have a good handle on the game as well as pop culture. You came up with a few good anecdotes and I remember DeCecco enjoying herself more because of it.

Here's some of your call from that game at about :17 and on.

Booker

Post by Booker »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Booker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:14 pm
and the PSU and JHU game a couple years back was a highlight for me.
I remember that game! You were alongside Rachael DeCecco! You had some funny lines and a great call of what was a tremendous game. A nailbiter with postseason implications. I hope you get to do more games. Women's lacrosse needs more play-by-play guys like you who have a good handle on the game as well as pop culture. You came up with a few good anecdotes and I remember DeCecco enjoying herself more because of it.

Here's some of your call from that game at about :17 and on.

I do recall Rachel calling me out on a Vanilla Ice line ..... while she was laughing :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

USA Lacrosse Magazine

I do my fair share bashing this publication for some of its articles and polls. Credit where credit is due however—they crank out content day after day after day—even in the offseason. Not easy to do consistently in the world of lacrosse.

Take a bow USA Lax mag staff.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/fuel/dia ... day-feb-16
OuttaNowhereWregget

Taylor’s Takes - by Taylor Cummings

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -the-booth

Taylor's Takes: Back in the Booth
WED MAR 2 2022 | TAYLOR CUMMINGS

After a nine-month hiatus, I was finally able to get back to my newfound hobby this past weekend — calling college lacrosse games.
I’ve played lacrosse for over 20 years, watch it all the time in the spring and don’t mind public speaking, so I figured, “Why not give announcing a try?” The women’s game is in such desperate need of knowledgeable and passionate analysts anyway, and if I could get my lacrosse fix and maybe entice viewers to watch and play more, it was worth the risk of potentially embarrassing myself on nationally streamed television.
Last season, I was lucky enough to find myself in the booth for a few local Loyola games and absolutely loved the experience. Watching such high-level lacrosse live and being able to share the strategies that players and coaches were implementing was not only fun but continued to help me be a better student of the game. I’m able to see things happen live (good or bad), explain why the play resulted in a goal or turnover, and then apply everything I’ve learned to my own play and to my McDonogh team’s play.
Given that, I was as eager as ever to get back in the booth, but this time at the good old Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex in College Park, Md. Being back at a place that has shaped so much of who I am today, but doing so in a completely different role, brought out all of my emotions.
I was excited to be back. I had nerves for the broadcast itself because I wanted to give viewers and the teams the insight they deserve. I felt nostalgic, remembering all the good times I experienced on that very same field. I was even a little bit jealous, wanting so badly to be back in a Terp uniform competing alongside my best friends. More so than ever, I was filled with so much pride as I watched two excellent teams (one of which will always have my heart) competing and playing a game that every person in those stands loves.
In short, I loved playing college lacrosse and miss it every day. At the very same time, I also love my new role calling the games and helping the game grow in any way possible. I am confident that our sport is in excellent hands with the college players of today, and luckily for us, we are privy to their talents week in and week out.

Here’s who and what stood out from Week 3 of the Division I women’s lacrosse season.
Boston College’s speed.
When our USA team competed against Boston College at the USA Lacrosse Fall Classic, the one thing that stood out to me most was how fast the entire team was. From defenders to attackers to the midfield unit, each part of the Eagles’ squad was lightning quick.
It doesn’t look like anything has changed now that their season is underway. In fact, they look even faster. BC’s defenders and midfielders consistently pushed the fast break in their ACC matchup against Virginia this week and wore UVA down by the end. They had more 5-v-4 and 6-v-4 fast breaks than I’d ever seen before because of their wicked quick clears and speedy midfielders breaking up field.
Their fast ball movement and unselfishness in those quick player-up opportunities resulted in goals time and time again. If any team is going to knock off the Eagles, it’ll have to figure out how to slow up their clears and fast breaks. Otherwise, it will be a long day on the field.

Richmond and Brittney Wright.
Richmond was able to stun then-No. 16 Stanford last Friday afternoon with methodical offense, suffocating rides and lockdown defense. Attackers and midfielders kept their composure and heads up as they moved the ball quickly around Stanford’s man-to-man and zone defenses to find open seams.
Despite their success on the offensive end, it was defender Brittney Wright who really stood out to me for the Spiders. She had the difficult task of marking up stud Stanford attacker Ashley Humphrey and did a fantastic job limiting her to two assists. Wright does a fabulous job utilizing both her stick and feet to dictate attackers to go in the direction she wants and is a vacuum as soon as the ball hits the turf. She secured two ground balls (while helping teammates secure even more) and caused three turnovers in the victory.

Coastal Carolina’s balanced scoring.
Coastal Carolina was able to secure a huge overtime victory over Elon thanks to balanced scoring across the board. Eleven total players recorded at least a point with Lauren Cremen leading the way with four goals and two assists. By having so many weapons, the Chanticleers were able to expose Elon’s defense and make the most out of every opportunity.
It’s every coach’s dream and goal to have an offense that has seven weapons, and Coastal Carolina has that and then some.

UMBC’s Dymin Gerow.
In the Retrievers’ first four games, Dymin Gerow has tallied 14 goals and five assists and has earned the American East Offensive Player of the Week honor multiple times. A stat that stands out to me so early in the season is not just her goal total, but specifically her free position percentage. She is 9-for-11 off the 8-meter line, an almost 82-percent success rate in a statistical category where the goal is 50 percent or better. That consistency and confidence when she steps up to the line is something all players should aspire to have.

TAYLOR'S TOP 10
*Current as of Monday, February 28
1. Boston College
2. North Carolina
3. Maryland
4. Syracuse
5. Northwestern
6. Stony Brook
7. Princeton
8. Loyola
9. Duke
10. Michigan