All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Peter Brown

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:12 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:10 pm Yeah, no you didn’t.

All this tells me is that you didn’t bother reading a word of it.

Do YOU think that California and Florida have the same exact set of governmental Covid restrictions ?

If your answer is “yes”, well, this paper is for you!!

If your answer is “no”, no amount of math make this paper useful to you.
I read much of it, I am the one that originally posted it. I also do not need a paper to tell me lockdowns for an entire country were a not so good idea. In typical fashion, you boiled it all down in to that nice binary roux, so you can then open and close your box of choice, depending on which way they wind blows. :P

There’s a reason 3/4ths of this article is just poorly articulated attempts at comedy, bad puns, poop jokes & a strangely out of place vintage Batman reference with very little time actually spent on refuting the claims of the “Johns Hopkins Study”. This isnt coincidence.

It's not a study, it's a systematic procedure for statistically combining the results of many different studies. You don't need to be a public health official to do a meta-analysis. What Bruce Lee, a professor, is doing is called obfuscation.

Meanwhile more studies show the same thing:

https://www.aier.org/article/lockdowns- ... -evidence/

I’d like to see a peer reviewed study that showed that lockdowns worked!!!, :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Do YOU think that California and Florida have the same exact set of governmental Covid restrictions ?

I read much of it, I am the one that originally posted it. I also do not need a paper to tell me lockdowns for an entire country were a not so good idea. In typical fashion, you boiled it all down in to that nice binary roux, so you can then open and close your box of choice, depending on which way they wind blows. :P

There’s a reason 3/4ths of this article is just poorly articulated attempts at comedy, bad puns, poop jokes & a strangely out of place vintage Batman reference with very little time actually spent on refuting the claims of the “Johns Hopkins Study”. This isnt coincidence.

It's not a study, it's a systematic procedure for statistically combining the results of many different studies. You don't need to be a public health official to do a meta-analysis. What Bruce Lee, a professor, is doing is called obfuscation.

I’d like to see a peer reviewed study that showed that lockdowns worked!!!, :lol:
good lord, AIER ? :roll:

Please stop trolling.
You've repeatedly demonstrated zero capacity for honest analysis.

It's real simple (if you'd gone to class at GatorU), if you run regressions on data sets that you have chosen, ignoring other data sets that won't give you the same answers, and define the terms so broadly as to not be able to distinguish the measure at all, and further ignore degrees of compliance with those 'measures', you're going to get a preordained answer that you don't see much impact. Of course you don't.

But hey, if you just want real world common sense, compare the handful of countries with the most severe restrictions and which had high compliance with those restrictions... with everyone else. Pretty simple to see that tough restrictions with high compliance were quite effective.

Was it worth it? Could we have done that in the US?...these are reasonable policy questions and discussions, but BS data/analysis is simply garbage, not good faith discussion.

And we simply don't have an example of a country with a robust healthcare system that decided to take zero public health action. No "control"...

I don't think you're really so dumb or naive as to not understand this...so, it's just partisan trolling.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Two clowns.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-01009-0

Assessing the effectiveness of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to mitigate the spread of SARS-CoV-2 is critical to inform future preparedness response plans.

The most effective NPIs include curfews, lockdowns and closing and restricting places where people gather in smaller or large numbers for an extended period of time. This includes small gathering cancellations (closures of shops, restaurants, gatherings of 50 persons or fewer, mandatory home working and so on) and closure of educational institutions. While in previous studies, based on smaller numbers of countries, school closures had been attributed as having little effect on the spread of COVID-19 (refs. 19,20), more recent evidence has been in favour of the importance of this NPI28,29; school closures in the United States have been found to reduce COVID-19 incidence and mortality by about 60% (ref. 28). This result is also in line with a contact-tracing study from South Korea, which identified adolescents aged 10–19 years as more likely to spread the virus than adults and children in household settings30.

when you have grandkids, make sure you send them to school when they are sick and make sure you tell your guys to come to work when they are sick.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm Where were all you bleaters during the Obama/Biden administration

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009.

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died

AHHHHH but they were liberal progressives.
:lol: :lol: :lol: March 2020
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:29 pm Here in good old Rochester NY last weekend we had 4 people die from overdosing on fentanyl. Sorry to hijack the FLP glee fest for how many people will die from corona virus and why it is now all Trumps fault. I suppose I am stunned that none of the FLP jackwagons has blamed this outbreak on global warming yet. The operative word in that sentence was "yet" There has to be an FLP conspiracy theory to be put forth soon that Trump and Putin conspired together to create the corona virus in an attempt to kill off FLP voters... 8-) Holy cow if Trump is a congenital liar he still can't hold a candle to the sheepdip you FLP folks keep spreading. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just for clarification, can we also now blame fentanyl overdoses on climate change? It does seem to fit into the twisted logic out there in FLP land. :roll:

https://13wham.com/news/top-stories/pol ... n-two-days
Any businesses shut down over Fentanyl? How much market cap did your company lose over a heroine over dose?
March 3, 2020. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fennie has killed closed to 1,000,000 Americans
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 pm Trump and CV:

Back down memory lane.....
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:40 am
thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:39 pm We don’t have the tests. Walk it off, America.
Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me. I think Corona's been here and around the world, circulating for a while now.

I think it's likely many cases were just assumed to be the common cold or flu by patients...then the "oh shoot" moment/discovery occurred.
So we just ignore it and go one with our daily lives???
Not ignore, but certainly treat it like we treat bad flu/cold years.
The hysteria here was created because the Chinese gov treated it like they do everyhting else. Heavy handed and totalitarian. They treated it and it's people like there was a zombie virus outbreak.
Wash those hands, stay home from work/school if showing symptoms, and take those steps of closing schools/offices/sporting events if necessary. If you're older, younger or have medical history, take extra precautions - limit travel when possible.
I forget what outbreak it was a few years ago. The MIAA in Maryland mandated no shaking hands after lax games. The kids were relegated to going through the lineup and nodding their heads at eachother.
Simple, but smart. Inform people, and take a measured approach. It's not a cure-all but little things can certainly help.
One million dead people later.....should not have done anything....less people would have died.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm Hate to break the news, but we don’t have “a few weeks to get this under control globally.”

Those “few weeks” passed at least two months ago.
That's not what I meant. There's the science...which is what you're talking about.

Then there's the fear, irrational public reaction, and economic damage that follows.

I'm talking about the latter. And the latter is where all the real damage occurs.
Respectfully, that’s not where the “real damage occurs.” The Trump Administration’s incompetence is going to cost American lives. Sadly, it’s too late to prevent some of that, but if Trump stays out of the way, many deaths can still be avoided.

As for economic damage, it is already too late to stop that as well. The coronavirus pandemic took at least 4-5 months to ramp up, and it’s not at all clear that it has peaked even in China and South Korea. Certainly has not peaked in the U.S. Mind you that South Korea and China have employed measures and resources that the U.S. is in no position to take. South Korea has tested hundreds of thousands of people, something the U.S. won’t have the capacity to do for months. China has essentially quarantined entire cities, something that is not feasible in the United States. We’re not in a good position. We likely won’t see coronavirus “under control” in the U.S. for at least 6 months.

Whether or not they “formally” fall into recession, the economies of China, South Korea, Italy, Germany, and Japan will all be hit hard. The U.S. economy will hit hard, too.

Bottom line ... everything you discuss above? It’s already too late to prevent all of that. Your post would have been meaningful about two months ago. It’s too late for that discussion now.

No need for panic, but we need to acknowledge that a major problem has already landed on our shores.

DocBarrister :|
March 6, 2020
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

CU88 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:56 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:48 am
Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:28 am Jim Cramer on CNBC is begging for leadership, there is so much to do.
Good luck with dat! :oops: :oops: :oops:
DOPUS played 18 yesterday.
Here is our Leadership:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Good for the consumer, gasoline prices coming down!

10:36 AM · Mar 9, 2020

DEPLORABLE
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6ftstick wrote: ↑Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Where were all you bleaters during the Obama/Biden administration

Obama Flu Response Relied On Bush Plan

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =103908247

It should be remembered that much of the outbreak involved germs found in Mexico during the Bush regime.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

I read much of it, I am the one that originally posted it. I also do not need a paper to tell me lockdowns for an entire country were a not so good idea.
Sometimes I think you all are living in a different country. When did we lock down our entire country? We NEVER did that.

We shut things down on a State by State basis, with each State's Governor making a different call. How many times do I need to tell you folks this?
In typical fashion, you boiled it all down in to that nice binary roux, so you can then open and close your box of choice, depending on which way they wind blows. :P
Ok. It's great paper. No flaws.

You read it, right? Based on that paper, what should we do for the next pandemic? Does closing non essential businesses have a better outcome than masks? Does isolating senior living work better than just opening up the whole State? When Trump closed our borders, did it help or hinder?

Come on. I"m just making things binary, right? And the paper's fine. So.....what did you learn that we can apply to the next pandemic?

Gimme three things. And then point to the paper, showing where you got that conclusion.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Newsweek article on the Hanke working paper. NW requested comment from Hopkins press office and were told to ask Hanke, it's his paper.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm Newsweek article on the Hanke working paper. NW requested comment from Hopkins press office and were told to ask Hanke, it's his paper.
A health policy expert contacted by Newsweek chose not to go on record, but pointed out that virtually every country had some sort of NPIs in place in the period studied, so there is no good "no-lockdown" counterfactual to carry out effective analysis.

Wow. It was REALLY hard to figure that out. There's no control for the "study". I seem to remember someone pointing this out.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 pm Meanwhile more studies show the same thing:
If you said that lockdowns were overkill, I'd play along. But lockdowns don't work? You serious?...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:29 pm Here in good old Rochester NY last weekend we had 4 people die from overdosing on fentanyl. Sorry to hijack the FLP glee fest for how many people will die from corona virus and why it is now all Trumps fault. I suppose I am stunned that none of the FLP jackwagons has blamed this outbreak on global warming yet. The operative word in that sentence was "yet" There has to be an FLP conspiracy theory to be put forth soon that Trump and Putin conspired together to create the corona virus in an attempt to kill off FLP voters... 8-) Holy cow if Trump is a congenital liar he still can't hold a candle to the sheepdip you FLP folks keep spreading. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just for clarification, can we also now blame fentanyl overdoses on climate change? It does seem to fit into the twisted logic out there in FLP land. :roll:

https://13wham.com/news/top-stories/pol ... n-two-days
Any businesses shut down over Fentanyl? How much market cap did your company lose over a heroine over dose?
March 3, 2020. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fennie has killed closed to 1,000,000 Americans
It’s whatever was in the local news in the last week that matters…and only that.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:38 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 pm Meanwhile more studies show the same thing:
If you said that lockdowns were overkill, I'd play along. But lockdowns don't work? You serious?...
If lockdowns "work", how could that be considered "overkill" by implementing them ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:06 pm

good lord, AIER ? :roll:

Please stop trolling.
You've repeatedly demonstrated zero capacity for honest analysis.

It's real simple (if you'd gone to class at GatorU), if you run regressions on data sets that you have chosen, ignoring other data sets that won't give you the same answers, and define the terms so broadly as to not be able to distinguish the measure at all, and further ignore degrees of compliance with those 'measures', you're going to get a preordained answer that you don't see much impact. Of course you don't.

But hey, if you just want real world common sense, compare the handful of countries with the most severe restrictions and which had high compliance with those restrictions... with everyone else. Pretty simple to see that tough restrictions with high compliance were quite effective.

Was it worth it? Could we have done that in the US?...these are reasonable policy questions and discussions, but BS data/analysis is simply garbage, not good faith discussion.

And we simply don't have an example of a country with a robust healthcare system that decided to take zero public health action. No "control"...

I don't think you're really so dumb or naive as to not understand this...so, it's just partisan trolling.
You can Google just about every argument made by one and see it coming from 1-3 sources recently, on every instance, simply regurgitated with limited modification to even take ownership of compared with its presentation here as independent thinking.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:22 am
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:38 am
If lockdowns "work", how could that be considered "overkill" by implementing them ?
Because there’s something called a spectrum or risk and reward not just binary options. I hope you understand this.

Rubbers work…most of the time, but one gets through here and there so by your thinking I guess you’ve populated half of Springfield and Rockland by now.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:28 pm
thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:40 am
thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:39 pm We don’t have the tests. Walk it off, America.
Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me. I think Corona's been here and around the world, circulating for a while now.

I think it's likely many cases were just assumed to be the common cold or flu by patients...then the "oh shoot" moment/discovery occurred.
So we just ignore it and go one with our daily lives???
Not ignore, but certainly treat it like we treat bad flu/cold years.
The hysteria here was created because the Chinese gov treated it like they

do everyhting else. Heavy handed and totalitarian. They treated it and it's p
eople like there was a zombie virus outbreak.
Wash those hands, stay home from work/school if showing symptoms, and take those steps of closing schools/offices/sporting events if necessary. If you're older, younger or have medical history, take extra precautions - limit
travel when possible.
I forget what outbreak it was a few years ago. The MIAA in Maryland mandated no shaking hands after lax games. The kids were relegated to going through the lineup and nodding their heads at eachother.
Simple, but smart. Inform people, and take a measured approach. It's not a cure-all but little things can certainly help.
One million dead people later.....should not have done anything....less people would have died.
Most of them were dying anyway. ......imagine if "brian's song" movie ending wasn't about how he "lived" life......but how he locked himself away.....
Good thing the FDA approved the MR. NO (Mrna) shots.......some,claim that, someone, was WRONG about the vaccines working. Who, was wrong?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:14 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm Where were all you bleaters during the Obama/Biden administration

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009.

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died[/
color]

AHHHHH but they were liberal progressives.

:lol: :lol: :lol: March 2020

The way back machine.....awesome. We gonna find comments claiming how awesome trumpU's fake "vaccine" actually PREVENTS.......such a joke. What does your wifes say about the "vaccine" now :roll: :roll: NO....repeat, zero mention of "less severe ",, "reduced"..."won't go to the hospital now" in any of the FDA applications for approval. It's called "fraud". Something trump, and pfizer, have perfected. Strange, that you people are still championing a chemical compound that doesn't work, like the FDA application claims it does. We get it.....who cares what our "leaders" claimed laste year, since we are using the "wayback" machine.

Return to “POLITICS”