NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Unknown Participant

Re: NESCAC

Post by Unknown Participant »

smoova wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:57 pm I like your thinking, but I'm not sure the stats completely align. Rutgers, as a team, shot only 29% today. McCormack shot 29% in 2021, which matched Vermont's team shooting percentage. Matt Chlastawa shot 32% in 2021, which was higher than Fairfield's team shooting percentage (28%).

My nascent theory is that the success of top DIII players who are using their extra eligibility at mid-tier DI's is indicative of a growing trend: strong HS players from non-hotbeds are choosing to play at high-academic DIIIs rather than mid-tier DIs. I watched this play out with a number of recent HS commits who chose schools like Tufts, W&L, Amherst, Middlebury and Williams over offers from schools like Richmond, High Point, Colgate, Bucknell, Bryant and UMass.

Regardless of why it is happening, it is great to see these guys have success!
Not a Colgate alum or anything, but that is a really strong academic school. A guy that choses Tufts, Midd, Amherst over Colgate is likely looking to make an NCCA run, which is significantly less likely than at Colgate.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

smoova wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:57 pm I like your thinking, but I'm not sure the stats completely align. Rutgers, as a team, shot only 29% today. McCormack shot 29% in 2021, which matched Vermont's team shooting percentage. Matt Chlastawa shot 32% in 2021, which was higher than Fairfield's team shooting percentage (28%).

My nascent theory is that the success of top DIII players who are using their extra eligibility at mid-tier DI's is indicative of a growing trend: strong HS players from non-hotbeds are choosing to play at high-academic DIIIs rather than mid-tier DIs. I watched this play out with a number of recent HS commits who chose schools like Tufts, W&L, Amherst, Middlebury and Williams over offers from schools like Richmond, High Point, Colgate, Bucknell, Bryant and UMass.

Regardless of why it is happening, it is great to see these guys have success!
Thanks for keeping me honest with some stats.

The chance to play multiple sports was always a NESCAC draw in the past as well. Not sure how common that is now with increased specialization for athletes starting earlier and earlier, but Midd probably had 9-10 two-sport athletes who were significant contributors during their run back in the day.

I didn't realize McCormack had another year at UVM until checking out the Duke-UVM box score. Granted he's getting a grad degree, but as a 2015 high school grad some of the freshmen must be asking him what it was like watching black & white TV.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

as a 2015 high school grad some of the freshmen must be asking him what it was like watching black & white TV.
Good one. Thanks for the chuckle.
smoova

Post by smoova »

While I've heard kids call it the "Rutgers Track," I think the 25+ year-old college lacrosse player will be pretty common for the foreseeable future in all lacrosse divisions. Beyond the NCAA's eligibility largess, the 18-month dead period (Dec 2020-Jun 2021) caused a number of 2021 and 2022 HS players to execute the famed double-play-down/reclass. This is having a ripple effect into the younger classes. 20 year-old freshmen are no longer the amusing exception.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Sadly I think you are right...the question will become if Lax goes the way of hockey?...I would hate that...but if you can pay...you can play! There is a market and actors willing to sell that dream to line their pockets...club has already endorsed this model and changed the landscape...
Unknown Participant

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:08 am Sadly I think you are right...the question will become if Lax goes the way of hockey?...I would hate that...but if you can pay...you can play! There is a market and actors willing to sell that dream to line their pockets...club has already endorsed this model and changed the landscape...
Except that club lacrosse has not ruined HS lacrosse the way junior hockey ruined HS hockey. As an anecdote, my beer league teammate (in NH btw) sent his son to Minnesota to play Tier II junior hockey. The kid apparently had an offer from Conn College and I think another high academic D III, but is chasing DI. Absent many ECAC schools (the Ivies, Union and Colgate), certain Hockey East schools (BU, BC, NEastern) and Michigan, Wisconsin, Holy Cross, DI hockey schools are pretty bad academically. It make no sense.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Hasn't ruined HS sports yet...just ask the town youth leagues about how kids aren't playing town to play club spring league lacrosse...just a matter of time before it bleeds into HS lacrosse...Counterpoint is a majority of club directors coach a HS team...so maybe it never gets to that...we will see...
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

In addition to club coaches/directors also being high school coaches, I think high school lacrosse will remain insulated by the fact that there is no scouting network (like in hockey) and college coaches and assistants are too focused on their own seasons to attend club events in the spring. Also, if you're part of a good high school program in a strong league then you get six days a week of practicing or playing high-level lacrosse for 3+ months. That's great development time and a lot more reps than club can realistically offer.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:06 pm In addition to club coaches/directors also being high school coaches, I think high school lacrosse will remain insulated by the fact that there is no scouting network (like in hockey) and college coaches and assistants are too focused on their own seasons to attend club events in the spring. Also, if you're part of a good high school program in a strong league then you get six days a week of practicing or playing high-level lacrosse for 3+ months. That's great development time and a lot more reps than club can realistically offer.
It is starting though, there are kids sitting out of high school playoff games in order to stay healthy for the summer recruiting circuit.

My main gripe with the club stuff is there are too many games and not enough practices. It is great that kids play so much, but a lack of practice reinforces bad habits that show up in games.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Wesleyan posts they scrimmage Babson @ 11:30 and Keene St. @ 2:30 in Middletown this Saturday (?)

Anyone else have scrimmage times / locations for this weekend?
Unknown Participant

SaltCounty wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:10 am Wesleyan posts they scrimmage Babson @ 11:30 and Keene St. @ 2:30 in Middletown this Saturday (?)

Anyone else have scrimmage times / locations for this weekend?
Dartmouth @ Tufts 1 pm
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

I drive a Dodge Stratus.
smoova

Post by smoova »

It looks like Trinity has 81 players on the 2022 roster (https://bantamsports.com/sports/mens-la ... oster/2022). Does anyone know if this is accurate?
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

smoova wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 pm It looks like Trinity has 81 players on the 2022 roster (https://bantamsports.com/sports/mens-la ... oster/2022). Does anyone know if this is accurate?
B team to play JuCo opponents would be great. Might need another practice field.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Ddw1

Post by Ddw1 »

New England Lacrosse Journal's Preseason NESCAC Rankings:

1. Tufts;
2. Williams;
3. Wesleyan;
4. Conn. College;
5. Colby;
6. Trinity;
7. Bates;
8. Bowdoin;
9. Middlebury;
10. Amherst;
11. Hamilton.

Some interesting placements. Curious to see how things play out.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Ddw1 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 pm New England Lacrosse Journal's Preseason NESCAC Rankings:

1. Tufts;
2. Williams;
3. Wesleyan;
4. Conn. College;
5. Colby;
6. Trinity;
7. Bates;
8. Bowdoin;
9. Middlebury;
10. Amherst;
11. Hamilton.

This is laughable.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am This is laughable.
+1
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am
Ddw1 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 pm New England Lacrosse Journal's Preseason NESCAC Rankings:

1. Tufts;
2. Williams;
3. Wesleyan;
4. Conn. College;
5. Colby;
6. Trinity;
7. Bates;
8. Bowdoin;
9. Middlebury;
10. Amherst;
11. Hamilton.

This is laughable.
It really is.
This preseason - it feels more like:
1. Tufts
2. Williams.
3. Weselyan
4-11. Who even knows.

I don't think we'll have a real grasp on how the other 8 teams stack up until they've played 2 or 3 NESCAC games.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:55 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am

1. Tufts;
2. Williams;
3. Wesleyan;
4. Conn. College;
5. Colby;
6. Trinity;
7. Bates;
8. Bowdoin;
9. Middlebury;
10. Amherst;
11. Hamilton.

This is laughable.
It really is.
This preseason - it feels more like:
1. Tufts
2. Williams.
3. Weselyan
4-11. Who even knows.

I don't think we'll have a real grasp on how the other 8 teams stack up until they've played 2 or 3 NESCAC games.
I don’t Wesleyan will be bad, but I think they take a step back. They’ve lost a lot over the last few years and they aren’t recruiting as well as they had been 5/6 years ago. There’s no Hawthorne or Jacoby on that roster.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Intersting you have Williams and Wesleyan so high based upon the major contributors that are no longer a part of both teams. This rating seems to be more about last year than this year imo.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”