media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: media matters

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:06 am Infantilization of argumentation and boycott / cancel culture is indeed insidious at times. Funny that some people think it's only one side.

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods
Cancel Nike, Keurig, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola, Walmart, Netflix, Budweiser, Oreos, Target, Pepsi, Gilette, Nordstrom, the NFL, Univision, Macy's, CNN, HBO...

It gets exhausting trying to follow everything the right wing wants to boycott and cancel with their reductionist argumentation. Here's a handy list, but it's a little old and needs updating.

https://www.netaxpayers.org/archives/4956
Some of these brands are on the way out. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Macy's, CNN. Their wokeness is a way for them to remain relevant.
hmmm, I think you're generally wrong about that, both in terms of how these companies are faring and their motivations.

Macy's has struggled. Down over 50% since peak in 2015, but also up 500% since nadir two years ago (Covid). But I think their business model is certainly threatened, so on that one, you're at least somewhat correct on business challenges.

CNN is about where it was 5 years ago, but down from its peak in 2018. I don't see them as threatened, but certainly the fragmentation of media is a challenge for them.

PepsiCo stock is up 60% over the last 5 years. Pretty continuous rise.

Coca Cola is up 33% in last 5 years, pretty amazing continuous rise with a few blips over past 3 decades.

Pepsi and Coca Cola are consumer brands vying for a young, worldwide audience which is diverse and more values oriented than the old, white conservative audience of America. Both companies have for decades marketed to appeal in these ways and it would be a breach of their brand trust to not be clear about such values now. Easy choice.

BTW, both are also evolving their product portfolios as well.

Macy's is less clear, though it needs its employees as well as consumers to see it as forward leaning, not backwards. Backward would be death signal.

CNN is a worldwide journalistic endeavor, though it, like everyone else, has been trying to incorporate more and more infotainment in the mix. It's solidly in the middle of the US political spectrum, but this positioning has been pushed "left" by the rapidly right wing partisan disinformation media machines...the contrast with disinformation makes CNN appear more "left" than it actually is.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Macy’s and Nordstrom are nothing more than private equity fodder and have been for a couple of years now. CNN has a business model crisis. Consumer goods are always sketchy these days and inflation isn’t helping. That’s half the list.

Frontier and Spirit (announced a) merged-two marginal businesses as well.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:50 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:06 am Infantilization of argumentation and boycott / cancel culture is indeed insidious at times. Funny that some people think it's only one side.

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods
Cancel Nike, Keurig, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola, Walmart, Netflix, Budweiser, Oreos, Target, Pepsi, Gilette, Nordstrom, the NFL, Univision, Macy's, CNN, HBO...

It gets exhausting trying to follow everything the right wing wants to boycott and cancel with their reductionist argumentation. Here's a handy list, but it's a little old and needs updating.

Some of these brands are on the way out. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Macy's, CNN. Their wokeness is a way for them to remain relevant.
hmmm, I think you're generally wrong about that, both in terms of how these companies are faring and their motivations.

Macy's has struggled. Down over 50% since peak in 2015, but also up 500% since nadir two years ago (Covid). But I think their business model is certainly threatened, so on that one, you're at least somewhat correct on business challenges.

CNN is about where it was 5 years ago, but down from its peak in 2018. I don't see them as threatened, but certainly the fragmentation of media is a challenge for them.

Coca Cola is up 33% in last 5 years, pretty amazing continuous rise with a few blips over past 3 decades.

Pepsi and Coca Cola are consumer brands vying for a young, worldwide audience which is diverse and more values oriented than the old, white conservative audience of America. Both companies have for decades marketed to appeal in these ways and it would be a breach of their brand trust to not be clear about such values now. Easy choice.

Macy's is less clear, though it needs its employees as well as consumers to see it as forward leaning, not backwards. Backward would be death signal.

CNN is a worldwide journalistic endeavor, though it, like everyone else, has been trying to incorporate more and more infotainment in the mix. It's solidly in the middle of the US political spectrum, but this positioning has been pushed "left" by the rapidly right wing partisan disinformation media machines...the contrast with disinformation makes CNN appear more "left" than it actually is.
Look at the skews from the new product lines. People are not drinking more Classic Coke and Pepsi. The increase in new product lines are being driven by new skews... Coke Zero sugar, Pepsi Zero Sugar, Mountain Dew Zero Sugar I could go on and on and on. The energy drink market is crushing it for Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi are thriving because they understand the market and have produced new beverages that cater to those markets. I only know this having worked for Coca Cola and understanding how they were creating products to cater to the market demand. What do you think the Coca Cola Freestyle machine is all about? Do you folks know the Coke Freestyle machine downloads every drink that has been dispensed from each machine every day to Atlanta. The data is stored in the Sequoia computer board that generates the formula for every drink poured from the machine every day. That is a pretty cool marketing tool for the Coca Cola folks. You think it is magic that the folks at Coca Cola in Atlanta know what their customers are drinking everyday. If you pour a Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke from a Freestyle machine at your local Wendys.. those folks in Atlanta know and understand what that means. Don't be surprised if in 6 months you find 20oz Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke in your neighborhood convenience store.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:41 am

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

Look at the skews from the new product lines. People are not drinking more Classic Coke and Pepsi. The increase in new product lines are being driven by new skews... Coke Zero sugar, Pepsi Zero Sugar, Mountain Dew Zero Sugar I could go on and on and on. The energy drink market is crushing it for Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi are thriving because they understand the market and have produced new beverages that cater to those markets. I only know this having worked for Coca Cola and understanding how they were creating products to cater to the market demand. What do you think the Coca Cola Freestyle machine is all about? Do you folks know the Coke Freestyle machine downloads every drink that has been dispensed from each machine every day to Atlanta. The data is stored in the Sequoia computer board that generates the formula for every drink poured from the machine every day. That is a pretty cool marketing tool for the Coca Cola folks. You think it is magic that the folks at Coca Cola in Atlanta know what their customers are drinking everyday. If you pour a Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke from a Freestyle machine at your local Wendys.. those folks in Atlanta know and understand what that means. Don't be surprised if in 6 months you find 20oz Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke in your neighborhood convenience store.
The earth is round too.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:44 am

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
And very thirsty as well. Ask the folks at Coca Cola and Pepsi. Everytime that round earth revolves around the sun they are working to get your money.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
And very thirsty as well. Ask the folks at Coca Cola and Pepsi. Everytime that round earth revolves around the sun they are working to get your money.
I worked on the Vitamin Water transaction, shorty.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:24 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
VM is a skew and product line of Coca Cola. When your competing with Desani and Smart Water and Avion it gets tough to compete. There use to be pallets of VW by our time clock. Two free cases of out of date product. I use to convert some of our GDM 26 coolers to VM Coolers. New skins on the side and VW merchandiser graphics. Most of them went in local HS that would not allow Coca Cola graphics.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

Isn’t it SKUs? Skew is more related to non-Gaussian distribution curves.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
VM is a skew and product line of Coca Cola. When your competing with Desani and Smart Water and Avion it gets tough to compete. There use to be pallets of VW by our time clock. Two free cases of out of date product. I use to convert some of our GDM 26 coolers to VM Coolers. New skins on the side and VW merchandiser graphics. Most of them went in local HS that would not allow Coca Cola graphics.
And?..... its SKU's by the way. Management probably didn't cascade the information down to your level so you assumed old out of date drinks for you and the guys, meant the product wasn't moving...

Coca-Cola bought Glaceau's Vitaminwater in 2007 for a then-company high of $4.1 billion. It has been one of the Atlanta-based beverage giant's biggest successes, jumping from annual sales of $350 million to more than $1 billion. However, it hasn't always been smooth, with Coca-Cola reportedly settling a lawsuit for $1.2 million in 2013-2014 after claims that the product misled about its health benefits..... Coca Cola paid about a 11x revenue multiple... so assuming no multiple expansion, the brand could be worth $45 billion. Nice.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
My son kept asking, because I drink the white trash diet mt dew (mainly because I historically threw down so much coffee and Diet Coke it eventually was starting to have an impact on my teeth but I need the caffeine and white tea is pricey), and I found they make a caffeine free mt dew. Now I’ve looked at two Publix’s and two Kroger’s but yet to see if actually stocked anywhere.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.
And?..... its SKU's by the way. Management probably didn't cascade the information down to your level so you assumed old out of date drinks for you and the guys, meant the product wasn't moving...

Coca-Cola bought Glaceau's Vitaminwater in 2007 for a then-company high of $4.1 billion. It has been one of the Atlanta-based beverage giant's biggest successes, jumping from annual sales of $350 million to more than $1 billion. However, it hasn't always been smooth, with Coca-Cola reportedly settling a lawsuit for $1.2 million in 2013-2014 after claims that the product misled about its health benefits..... Coca Cola paid about a 11x revenue multiple... so assuming no multiple expansion, the brand could be worth $45 billion. Nice.
Multiple expansion? I’d think it would contract because they lose all of the corporate back office shared service synergies and would have to create what’s now a bunch of redundant operations and jobs wouldn’t it?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

CU88

Post by CU88 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:36 am
CU88 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:20 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:52 am :P
CU88 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:55 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:45 am
CU88 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:25 pm
CU88 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:21 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:02 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:21 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:20 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:55 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:07 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:51 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:29 pm
CU88 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:17 pm Faux news viewers must be idiots. This morning Faux spent over an hour happily reporting of massive job loses in January:

https://twitter.com/Craigipedia/status/ ... 4857212941

Only to be complain slapped with the facts.
If your listening to Fox news then does that simple fact also make you an idiot by association?? :| :D
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll:
Why sign out now? I can live rent free in your brain. Your updates about what the 24/7 news networks are up to are invaluable to those of us that never watch these networks. Keep up the good work. ;) It must be painful for you watching Hannity and Tucker night after night after night. Your willing to take one for the team...
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
I enjoy free rent!!
:D FREE RENT

FREE RENT BABY.. :)
🤪
:P

😘

:roll: :roll: :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

Different terminology, we spelled it skews, your correct my bad it is SKUs. I have no idea what Coca Cola paid for the VW rights. VW was not a big mover in Rochester. We did install some fountain units that had VW products. We installed some single door visual coolers that had VW products. The biggest VW account we had was at RIT. I do know in our warehouse we had pallets full of VW products that just did not sell for chit. VW triple XXX was one the worst. I'm only judging by what I saw with my own eyes. I have no issue with VW or their different product lines. I do know that twice a year we would winterize and summerize the fountain units at RIT and Nazareth College. The VW BIB product on site was always out of date and wound up being thrown out and was replaced with new product.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

Multiple expansion? I’d think it would contract because they lose all of the corporate back office shared service synergies and would have to create what’s now a bunch of redundant operations and jobs wouldn’t it?
I assumed none. Still was a good deal for coca cola.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

Different terminology, we spelled it skews, your correct my bad it is SKUs. I have no idea what Coca Cola paid for the VW rights. VW was not a big mover in Rochester. We did install some fountain units that had VW products. We installed some single door visual coolers that had VW products. The biggest VW account we had was at RIT. I do know in our warehouse we had pallets full of VW products that just did not sell for chit. VW triple XXX was one the worst. I'm only judging by what I saw with my own eyes. I have no issue with VW or their different product lines. I do know that twice a year we would winterize and summerize the fountain units at RIT and Nazareth College. The VW BIB product on site was always out of date and wound up being thrown out and was replaced with new product.
World a lot larger than rinky dink Rochester, if you haven’t figured that out yet.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

World a lot larger than rinky dink Rochester, if you haven’t figured that out yet.
Don't matter to me anymore. I'm retired, what Coca Cola does no longer matters to me. I do have a really cool collection of Coke stuff I took off of equipment going to the boneyard. My stuff you won't find anywhere else.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

I assumed none. Still was a good deal for coca cola.
I'm sure they did fine just going from 11x revenues to somehing higher on a larger revenue number and in consideration that a lot of overhead would have to be baked back in on a standalone basis would be a grand slam home run. Some hedge fund would be pressing them to divest in that case I would think - "unlock shareholder value"...
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:24 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

Don't matter to me anymore. I'm retired, what Coca Cola does no longer matters to me. I do have a really cool collection of Coke stuff I took off of equipment going to the boneyard. My stuff you won't find anywhere else.
:lol: :lol: :lol: you are the one the brought up Coca Cola.
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

I brought up Coca-Cola, and as a brand it is shrinking, hence their brand diversification strategy. Why do you think they teamed up with the #1 hipster bubbly water, Topo Chico? People hate Coke since it went from sugar to HFCS. In fact, the only decent Coke is Mexican Coke, although Mexican Squirt is my favorite. Hard to get, my last one was at Los Tacos #1 in Chelsea Market.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Cancel Starbucks
Cancel Carhartt
Cancel Whole Foods

The earth is round too.

I brought up Coca-Cola, and as a brand it is shrinking, hence their brand diversification strategy. Why do you think they teamed up with the #1 hipster bubbly water, Topo Chico? People hate Coke since it went from sugar to HFCS. In fact, the only decent Coke is Mexican Coke, although Mexican Squirt is my favorite. Hard to get, my last one was at Los Tacos #1 in Chelsea Market.
Old Cradle didn’t mention Coke? Coke has been good for the investors.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”