American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: American Educational System

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm I don't know if it's still relevant, but 50 years ago, qualifying for a Naval ROTC scholarship was a way to gain admission to most of the universities involved in this scandal, & many other "elite" schools (Ivy included). All it cost the student was room & board. ...but back then, you had to worry about protesters forcing the disestablishment of ROTC at your school while you were at sea, on summer cruise. I had a cruise buddy who was a MId attending Columbia. We found out his ROTC unit was closing when we read it in the IHT while on liberty in Bergen, Norway.
It is still relevant and often a chosen path if not given an appointment to an SA. I kid I coached took that route to VaTech.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 amThe Willkie Farr co-chairman of the firm has been placed on indefinite leave of absence.
I sure hope that nobody points out that he's a Cornell alum ...
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Don’t worry. Art Fleming was a Cornell grad.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Laurie Laughlin grew up in a middle-class community on Long Island. She planned to attend Hofstra University, also located on L.I. Instead of going to Hofstra, she capitalized on some opportunities and got her career going. No question she has and continues to have a fine career.

Fast Forward to "Mommyhood".The tuition at Harvard -Westlake school is dear. Both daughters along with many sons and daughters of the stage, screen, and Hollywood attend. Laurie, like most H-W parents, are well healed. Tutors, SAT/ACT prep classes and guidance on how to understand the admissions process, are readily available.

Interesting that she would be willing, and certainly able, to plunk down $500,000, in lieu of OR in addition to, availing her kids of the academic support tool, mentioned above.

Doing so, allegedly to help her kids get into USC :roll: will, IMHO, embarrass and humiliate her kids. Her actions point to her suspicion, that her progeny are way beyond stupid.

Another unfair and seemingly unattainable burden Mommy put on her 2 super-women...CREW. It's going to be pretty difficult for those 2 whiz-kids to make the USC team. Not only do they have ZERO rowing experience, but it's difficult to imagine those 2 could calculate exactly what the cox means when she yells out "give me 36". She ain't trying to borrow a bra. ;)
Sadly prophetic. Both kids dropped out of USC today.

BRAVA LAURIE.TAKE A DEEP BOW. :roll:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

The Boston NPR radio station ran a blip about area schools investigating the students and possibly kicking them out.

Not to go off on a different tangent, but of the 50 or so kids admitted into "top" colleges.....how they doing? Academically? Did any graduate? (not like this hasn't been going on for years) Can they handle the work of these "top" schools? Big difference between STEM classes and taking Harvards Spike Lee JOint film studies....

Tangent point is.........the impossible/lies published admission standards for these "top" schools and these schools pretend diversity.....that B- GPA, 2 sport athlete who also got the lead in the school musical......but that's about it. No 501c3 for studying climate change in Harlem or Anacostia. No trips to 38 different countries.....just an average joe/jane. Can't accept THEM.......no sir.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm Don’t worry. Art Fleming was a Cornell grad.

NHL tough guy Doug Murray as a Cornell grad so that we know where he learned the smarts needed to hit it big in pro puck.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 pm A MSNBC talking head said you gotta be an Ivy, Duke, or Gtown grad to get an entry level job in investment banking.

...maybe not a bad thing. Protect the rest of the country from them.
.. unfortunately not true.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm You're assuming millenials won't have kids, HooDat!

Great to see you back!
It will be fascinating to watch that unfold (and it is indeed happening now)

I have always maintained that you don't really grow up until you have kids. That is not an insult to those without kids, it is just my observation that is almost impossible to replicate the shifting of priorities that takes place when you become a parent in any other way.

and thank you - best I can figure is that I got caught up in some updated website/re-registration backwash.

following my little self-imposed time-out, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to minimize my exposure to the uber-partisian threads - but there are a lot of thoughtful discussions to be found around here if you watch where you step....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i have a question- how much is the ultimate employer at fault here?

what i really mean is- if you are holding the resume of a Yale/MIT/Stanford/Duke grad, versus one from... State U... do you prefer (whether inadvertent or not) the applicant that went to the school with the "better reputation"?

and if so, are you part of the problem (albeit, a smaller part) of this entire debacle?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

When I perform interviews, which is not that often b/c our turnover is almost zero, after HR has done their phone interview Q&A etc., I do not look at their resume until the last portion of the interview. I want to get to know the person, their experiences, how they respond to questions and situations, etc.

If someone tells me they are capable of solving a complex work related problem after an interview question, we dig into that just like we were collaborating as employees. It gets their juices flowing, relaxes them, and you often get to see behind the curtain a bit.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 pm i have a question- how much is the ultimate employer at fault here?

what i really mean is- if you are holding the resume of a Yale/MIT/Stanford/Duke grad, versus one from... State U... do you prefer (whether inadvertent or not) the applicant that went to the school with the "better reputation"?

and if so, are you part of the problem (albeit, a smaller part) of this entire debacle?
my take is the answer to your question is YES.

and Youth - I like that method of conducting an interview. No preconceived notions until you have gotten to hear from the person a bit first.

ChairmanOfTheBoard

i agree. but it is a question of degrees; i think the ultimate employer is a contributor, but not the main perpetrator.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 pm i agree. but it is a question of degrees; i think the ultimate employer is a contributor, but not the main perpetrator.
yes and it is a complicity born out of fear - the fear of being second guessed by your boss.

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Donald J. Trump is Improving Transparency and Promoting Free Speech in Higher Education

We reject oppressive speech codes, censorship, political correctness, and every other attempt by the hard left to stop people from challenging ridiculous and dangerous ideas. These ideas are dangerous. Instead, we believe in free speech, including online and including on campus.

President Donald J. Trump
At least he isn't being divisive. Straight up, it's obvious that free speech isn't the issue.

The Trump Administration believes that public schools should fulfill their obligation to uphold the First Amendment and private schools should comply with their stated institutional policies regarding free speech.
So public and private schools have different obligations according to the Constitution - would love to have that one go to court.
The Executive Order requires the Department to develop policy proposals that help ensure postsecondary institutions share more of the financial risk associated with student loans.
Interesting big government idea...haven't thought about the unintended consequences, but I'm sure Betsy has.
ADDRESSING STUDENT LOAN DEBT: Across the country, students are taking on massive student loan debt that inhibit them from prospering in today’s booming economy.
I am glad to hear him address this...wonder what the plan is?
Students need better information about prices and outcomes of postsecondary options so they can make better and well-informed choices.
Another good idea.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Betsy D.,our grand and glorious Secretary of Education,has an idea. :idea: Let's cut funding for the Special Olympics.Those lame and lazy,crippled and crazy retards,get all the money they need from private contributions.They are worse money grubbers than the myriad "welfare queens" that live on the wrong side of the tracks. So let's cut 'em off from ANY federal funding.If they need a bag of pretzels or a bottle of water,they should all get jobs or beg.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Creeping Capitalist Takeover of Higher Education

"The price of college is breaking America. At a moment when Hollywood celebrities and private equity titans have allegedly been spending hundreds of thousands in bribes to get their children into elite schools, it seems quaint to recall that higher learning is supposed to be an engine of social mobility. Today, the country’s best colleges are an overpriced gated community whose benefits accrue mostly to the wealthy. At 38 colleges, including Yale, Princeton, Brown and Penn, there are more students from the top 1 percent than the bottom 60 percent.

Tuition prices aren’t the only reason for this, but they’re a major one. Public university tuition has doubled in the last two decades, tripled in the last three. Prestige-hungry universities admit large numbers of students who can pay ever-increasing fees and only a relative handful of low-income students. The U.S. now has more student loan debt than credit card debt—upward of $1.5 trillion. Nearly 40 percent of borrowers who entered college in the 2003 academic year could default on their loans by 2023, the Brookings Institution predicts.

The colleges would have you believe that none of this is their fault. They would point out that public schools took a huge financial hit during the recession when states slashed their education budgets. This is true, but that hardly explains the size and pace of the price hikes or the fact that tuition at private schools has exploded, too."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm Don’t worry. Art Fleming was a Cornell grad.
I did not know that! I loved Jeopardy when I was a kid. It always annoys me that these days Alex Trebek pretends that the original Jeopardy did not exist.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No one I am aware of is denying first amendments rights to anyone. Speech does have its consequences and the right to free speech is restricted as to some content and location. Those are not absolute
ChairmanOfTheBoard

might not be the right forum but here's an article on the uptick in player complaints against college coaches:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... =editorial

Return to “POLITICS”