Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan#1969

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:58 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:19 pm Not gonna overreact to scrimmages. That holds true in both Loyola and Cuse.

Also won’t overreact to the Hounds first 2-3 games.

My guess is both Cuse and Loyola are gonna beat some people.

However losing Hiltz for Cuse does bring cause for concern.
As fans it’s going to be very difficult to not react strongly to the results of these games, especially with how profile they all are.

These are 3 legitimate chances to get quality wins and prep the team for the rest of the schedule. They’re going to have to find out who they are very very quickly.

I can take close losses if they happen but not blowouts
I don’t completely disagree with you. I actually think we will win 1, maybe 2 of those first 3 and doubt we win all of them. MD, Hop, and RU are very good teams...big, fast, talented...I think we will be good...very good...

If we get our doors blown off in all three...we’ll then yes. Major issues...but I’ll let month 1 play out

We have promise, this team could be champ weekend type good...but it’s sooo early.

Last weekend things we thought would be good/solid were bad (face offs, defense, goaltending...and turnovers by our attack unit)...I think we shore that up and changes are gonna be made

I think MVA is done tinkering and is gonna lock in on guys we know have been good for us. If our offense is healthy, I think they’re gonna roll

With the rope unit all the sudden stronger with Benus back and the addition of Sally

I’m bullish. I am. Just know that the first three are really good...really good
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Just heard scrimmage did not go well. Struggling at face off. Turnovers. Still struggling defensively.

Any word on Wyers? He may be the missing link.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 pm Just heard scrimmage did not go well. Struggling at face off. Turnovers. Still struggling defensively.

Heard that team is tired of losing, they want to prove they are a top team next week.

Wyers i believe will play at Maryland.

the 8 hour bus ride back, I'm sure will be motivating to get things in gear
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
bananas

Post by bananas »

So Michigan whips Cuse and Cuse then whips Greyhounds? Just scrimmages but facing Terps at College Park will be a tall order. See you in three weeks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 pm Just heard scrimmage did not go well. Struggling at face off. Turnovers. Still struggling defensively.

Heard that team is tired of losing, they want to prove they are a top team next week.

Wyers i believe will play at Maryland.

the 8 hour bus ride back, I'm sure will be motivating to get things in gear
8hrs? Weather related or do they stop for piss breaks every 17 miles? It’s a 5hr drive, if that-trust me I know.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I think Houndace meant the bus ride down on Friday. But whatever…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well I would think 8 is a flight so big difference. Not sure what the school policy is but for my work 6 is my cutoff between drive and fly.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bananas

Post by bananas »

Can walk it in 4 days as long as no breaks taken. :D
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

So moving on…. Hounds have had lackluster results in the past two scrimmages. Did they take 2 steps back or did their opponents take 2 Steps forward? We’ll see. Maryland on Saturday. Given how these two teams have played recently it could be really ugly for the Hounds, a little ugly, somewhat ugly, or a work in progress. I’ll take the latter.

Not gonna get bent out of shape if they loose. MVA is still trying to find the “sweet spot” on offense. How do you get Kamish back into the mix and remember he’s only played in 2 shortened seasons but has flashes of really good when he’s out there.

We need this offense to step up and put on the gas.

Sure the defense has
Missed Wyers but you still have McNulty, Rezanka, Benus, Shafer, LeBlanc, and Hughes as well as some others. They didn’t forget how to play all of a sudden.

Olmstead, Lindley, James and Poitras have to win their matchups. Same for the defense that will be going up against some exceptionally talented UMD attack and middies.

Can they do it?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

If they lose because of bad offensive plays and some ill-timed defensive mistakes then that will be okayish because it’s February and it is their first true game against a top 2 opponent. Teams can learn a ton from losses and mistakes.

I believe they can figure things out this week with good practice and extra motivation. This is Maryland we’re talking about here, who are very loaded everywhere, have experience returning at nearly every position, have high expectations for themselves and who plays deep into may every year. Gee that sounds very similar to loyolas program with the minor exception for the last point which they want to improve upon.

If they gut out a win, great. If they lose closely, still positive because they prove they can hang with the big boys this year.

But what will be Very difficult to watch is if they get outhustled and outscrapped on the little things that could result in a blowout. Its not in the teams DNA to quit in these departments.

Look at the uva opener in 2020, team was losing big but they clawed back by getting GB’s and extra scoring chances.

The 2020’duke game. Spotted them 8 goals and slowly came back with extra fight.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Defensively, IMO I believe Wyers is the glue that holds them together. He is the communicator and the leader. Though a little concerning I did hear that the pulled schafer early yesterday. I also heard that we struggled with clears. Seasoned veterans turning the ball over. As with the offense and MVA, I think Dwan needs to tinker and find the right combination of SSDMs and close D. If they are not on the same page, it could spell disaster next Saturday.

Any word on fans or what Maryland will allow?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am Defensively, IMO I believe Wyers is the glue that holds them together. He is the communicator and the leader. Though a little concerning I did hear that the pulled schafer early yesterday. I also heard that we struggled with clears. Seasoned veterans turning the ball over. As with the offense and MVA, I think Dwan needs to tinker and find the right combination of SSDMs and close D. If they are not on the same page, it could spell disaster next Saturday.

Maryland had 1,685 yesterday; so there’s no restriction.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am Defensively, IMO I believe Wyers is the glue that holds them together. He is the communicator and the leader. Though a little concerning I did hear that the pulled schafer early yesterday. I also heard that we struggled with clears. Seasoned veterans turning the ball over. As with the offense and MVA, I think Dwan needs to tinker and find the right combination of SSDMs and close D. If they are not on the same page, it could spell disaster next Saturday.

The stadium is totally open to fans. No masks required for outdoor events. You'll probably notice that more people will sit on the opposite side of the tower even if their tickets are on the tower side of the field. The reason is the opposite side gets sun! Concession stands were open on Saturday (think they did a hot coco giveaway). The new scoreboard makes for really good replays and really good in-game stat updates. Post-game yesterday, Tillman and all of the players were already talking about Loyola. They know it's going to be a full tilt game.

HPU out-ground balled MD by 10 despite losing the FOs by 7 (and being I think +8 in TOs). Given Loyola has a really good FOGO and is really good in the middle of the field with McNulty et al., I'm already worried as a MD fan! McNulty is just a different type of dude at that LSM position. Opponents normally have a hard time figuring out who to pole on Maryland's MF, but I'm going to guess that whoever draws McNulty will just head to the crease!

The Terps did their customary 66% of SOG. They did their customary +40% in offensive efficiency. They got a little sloppy in their clearing game in the 2nd half after being perfect in the first half. HPU actually tried to slow the game down, which isn't HPU's style at all. MD wanted to run and prefers to run. With 2 SSDMs out still to injury (Smith and Coffman), Fairman exclusively played shorty. Keep an eye on that if you're Loyola because if he's involved in transition, he'll be dodging against a trapped offensive midfielder.

Makar is a legit AA cover guy. Who is your dodger because that's who Makar will cover. Even though Nolting had 6 assists (feeding the crease), HPU tried over and over to get him switched off of Makar so he could dodge.

Gonna be a great game on Saturday. Hope Loyola fans come out for the game. Would be cool to have a big crowd for such an early season game.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

I am excited for this year for the Greyhounds. In full disclosure, my son is on the team and I am hoping for him to get an opportunity. I know it is tough with such an experienced team. But I will say the reason my son chose Loyola was because of the coaching staff.

Yesterdays scrimmage, did not start out very well, it was 8-0 SU before Loyola got on the board. As Laxbro said, we struggled at FOGO and on D. THey did use the 10 man ride, and the SSDMs turned the ball over, which led to many of the Cuse goals.

The coaching staff just needs to find the right mix. I think if we go 3-3 the first 6 games we are looking good. I am so looking to see them next weekend. Any word on weather?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:34 am

The stadium is totally open to fans. No masks required for outdoor events. You'll probably notice that more people will sit on the opposite side of the tower even if their tickets are on the tower side of the field. The reason is the opposite side gets sun! Concession stands were open on Saturday (think they did a hot coco giveaway). The new scoreboard makes for really good replays and really good in-game stat updates. Post-game yesterday, Tillman and all of the players were already talking about Loyola. They know it's going to be a full tilt game.

HPU out-ground balled MD by 10 despite losing the FOs by 7 (and being I think +8 in TOs). Given Loyola has a really good FOGO and is really good in the middle of the field with McNulty et al., I'm already worried as a MD fan! McNulty is just a different type of dude at that LSM position. Opponents normally have a hard time figuring out who to pole on Maryland's MF, but I'm going to guess that whoever draws McNulty will just head to the crease!

The Terps did their customary 66% of SOG. They did their customary +40% in offensive efficiency. They got a little sloppy in their clearing game in the 2nd half after being perfect in the first half. HPU actually tried to slow the game down, which isn't HPU's style at all. MD wanted to run and prefers to run. With 2 SSDMs out still to injury (Smith and Coffman), Fairman exclusively played shorty. Keep an eye on that if you're Loyola because if he's involved in transition, he'll be dodging against a trapped offensive midfielder.

Makar is a legit AA cover guy. Who is your dodger because that's who Makar will cover. Even though Nolting had 6 assists (feeding the crease), HPU tried over and over to get him switched off of Makar so he could dodge.

Gonna be a great game on Saturday. Hope Loyola fans come out for the game. Would be cool to have a big crowd for such an early season game.
I’ll be there! Maryland is a monster and Loyola is struggling to figure it out. Not a good situation for the Hounds...but as they say, you gotta play the games...I think Loyola will be a better version of itself come next Saturday. I hope anyway
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

loyola2025 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 am I am excited for this year for the Greyhounds. In full disclosure, my son is on the team and I am hoping for him to get an opportunity. I know it is tough with such an experienced team. But I will say the reason my son chose Loyola was because of the coaching staff.

Yesterdays scrimmage, did not start out very well, it was 8-0 SU before Loyola got on the board. As Laxbro said, we struggled at FOGO and on D. THey did use the 10 man ride, and the SSDMs turned the ball over, which led to many of the Cuse goals.

The coaching staff just needs to find the right mix. I think if we go 3-3 the first 6 games we are looking good. I am so looking to see them next weekend. Any word on weather?
Supposed to be nice. About 50 degrees.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola2025 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 am I am excited for this year for the Greyhounds. In full disclosure, my son is on the team and I am hoping for him to get an opportunity. I know it is tough with such an experienced team. But I will say the reason my son chose Loyola was because of the coaching staff.

Welcome to the board and to this passionate group of fans!

Wonderful to hear your son is a member of the team and that he chose the school because of the coaching staff.

Do you have any other information regarding:

1.The Richmond and cuse scrimmages
2. What practices could look like this week in preparation for the Maryland game?
3. An 8-0 HOLE to start???
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Scrapslax

Post by Scrapslax »

Is your son a defender? Sounds like that is where we need help. I know we are experienced on that end of the field but maybe some young guys pushing them might help.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 pm

Welcome to the board and to this passionate group of fans!

Wonderful to hear your son is a member of the team and that he chose the school because of the coaching staff.

Do you have any other information regarding:

1.The Richmond and cuse scrimmages
2. What practices could look like this week in preparation for the Maryland game?
3. An 8-0 HOLE to start???
1. In regards to scrimmages, Defensive seems to be in disarray. With Wyers back, they played better. SSDM is an issue. Benus and Sally are struggling. Both committing unforced turnovers and making mental mistakes. His thoughts are that Rezanka, Cain and Mcgillacuddy are the best combination. Offensively, we will score, depth at attack and with injured players back, it should not be an issue.
2. Film on Monday and and an intense week of practice
3. 10 man ride and we could not clear, turnovers led to Cuse taking advantage.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

So how about this … give them some time. Not making any excuses but since you brought it up about Benus and Sally. I would say that Benus is rusty since he was not in school last semester. We know what he can do when he gets back into lax shape. Not sure how many days of practice Sally had at Richmond but he’s new too. Like you said it will be intense at practice

Defense in disarray? You can’t pin it all on one Unit. The game is a total team effort - rope unit, defense, offense, net tending…You gotta score when you have the rock. Protect it too. When you’re down 8-0 it tells me to look at everything. How do all of the pieces fit and work together.

We haven’t even started the season and there’s grumbling. It’s a long season or did we not learn anything last year.

I’m not going to repeat myself. You can look up my posts from last year when some folks were suggesting to burn down what we had and start over. The Coaches and players had faith, van Arsdale Tinkered with his lineup, and the goalie got hot. It’s gonna happen again. You can either be patient and enjoy the game or complain and moan and pull your hair out. Your choice

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”