Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by jrn19 »

Nice start to the year

Pros
- Yeah offense is still p good
- Khan is a freaking dude. He was great at Nova, AA guy, but he looked tremendous today. Nobody could stay in front of him. Having him just slide into the X role and be another A1 dodger is such an incredible luxury to have losing Jared
- ...which means Wis is just going to keep doing Wis things. Ho-hum 8 points. If he can continue to isolate on mismatches from the left wing and get to that left hand and shoot the way he does, going to be another big year without having to put on greater onus with Jared again
- Murphy is going to score 30+ goals one year here. I don't know that we've had a dodger like him on the 2nd MF since Tills has been here. So shifty and a mismatch on that line as a converted attackmen
- Was glad to see my Donville-Long-DeMaio idea with Bubba as a transition middie from way back come to fruition. Thought that line looked really good, esp off ball, and they should only get better. Bubba meanwhile got his goal, was really physical on D, looked good. He's going to be a real weapon, esp when everyone is healthy at shortie and he can play.
- Makar dominated Nolting. Nolting got lots of assists but you'll take that since no one else on HPU can dodge.
- Overall thought defense looked good. Rahill played a good game
- Faceoffs

Cons
- Sloppy in the 4Q with turnovers
- Lot of February stuff. Passes little off here and there, some transition moments not quite as sharp as usual. It'll get fixed
- McNaney wasn't good. He's not a bad goalie, but by the standards of Maryland goalies he just never fills you with as much confidence as Amato or Bernlohr did. Too many easy goals given up

Onto Loyola. Hope FO's remain solid, if they do, think Terps have too much firepower for the Hounds but will be a test for the offense and especially a physical test in the middle of the field. Should be a great game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am
keno in reno wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am is there any confirmation that Trader is actually practicing with the team? He's on the roster, but that doesn't mean much if he's not out there.
Where's he going to play even if he is on the team? Terps already have, at the very least, 9 guys who are likely to get playing time: Wisnauskas, Khan, Donville, Maltz, Long, DeMaio, Fairman, Murphy, Malever. That's already a full attack and two full midfield lines. And that's to say nothing of Spanos who I know you guys are excited about. (At this point we can probably assume Kelly, Brennan, Koras x2, Goforth won't play much, if at all, this year — barring several injuries ahead of them.) Not sure where Trader can find time except perhaps as a rotational 2nd line middie at best, especially since he wasn't with the team in the fall. Tough to make a big enough impression to the point where you're bumping one of those other guys out of their presumed spots.
Would put Brennan in over Murphy. Should be fun to watch with all the options
You still sure about that?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Just got back from the game.

Tills praised Bubba after the game for volunteering to play d-middie with Smith and Coffman out. He said Bubba's going to play both offense and defense but that he wasn't back to 100% until recently with some injuries. Same with Makar, who wasn't full strength until recently.

High Point did everything they could get Makar off of Nolting, who is as advertised. I think people seem to think that Nolting is a goal scorer, which he can certainly do. But he's really more of a point guard out there dropping dimes. He's so good at absorbing contact and still being able to get off passes, even spot feeds. So HPU really tried to get Nolting switched off onto different players with 2-man games. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Murphy is indeed a surprise. Someone on another Maryland board made a really good comparison. Murphy is like a right handed and taller version of Anthony DeMaio. He's not going to overpower anyone or even just blast past a defender. But he has shakes and sling it. HPU didn't know who to pole even on that second MD midfield line.

The thing with McNaney in goal is that he's not going to give up bad goals, but he's not really going steal games with saves he shouldn't make, either. The defense pretty much just gives up shots that McNaney can handle.

Ajax looked really good as the 3rd pole. It allowed the Terps to play 3 solid LSMs. Geppert is so underrated. He's a menace out there. Prybylski shifted back and forth from close to LSM. That's not bad depth right there.

The EMO had Donville, Khan, DeMaio, Wisnauskas, Maltz, and Kelly. If not for 2 pipes on the EMO, the unit's statistics would have looked a lot better.

Next weekend is going to be fun. Tills and the players were already talking about after the game.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:24 pm Just got back from the game.

Tills praised Bubba after the game for volunteering to play d-middie with Smith and Coffman out. He said Bubba's going to play both offense and defense but that he wasn't back to 100% until recently with some injuries. Same with Makar, who wasn't full strength until recently.

High Point did everything they could get Makar off of Nolting, who is as advertised. I think people seem to think that Nolting is a goal scorer, which he can certainly do. But he's really more of a point guard out there dropping dimes. He's so good at absorbing contact and still being able to get off passes, even spot feeds. So HPU really tried to get Nolting switched off onto different players with 2-man games. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Murphy is indeed a surprise. Someone on another Maryland board made a really good comparison. Murphy is like a right handed and taller version of Anthony DeMaio. He's not going to overpower anyone or even just blast past a defender. But he has shakes and sling it. HPU didn't know who to pole even on that second MD midfield line.

The thing with McNaney in goal is that he's not going to give up bad goals, but he's not really going steal games with saves he shouldn't make, either. The defense pretty much just gives up shots that McNaney can handle.

Ajax looked really good as the 3rd pole. It allowed the Terps to play 3 solid LSMs. Geppert is so underrated. He's a menace out there. Prybylski shifted back and forth from close to LSM. That's not bad depth right there.

The EMO had Donville, Khan, DeMaio, Wisnauskas, Maltz, and Kelly. If not for 2 pipes on the EMO, the unit's statistics would have looked a lot better.

Next weekend is going to be fun. Tills and the players were already talking about after the game.
Agree on basically all of this. Im excited to see Bubba be able to stay on offense more when Smith and Coffman are back. That goal he scored where he ran in transition and bowled over the HPU shortie for the goal was tantalizing. He’s gonna have a strong year not having to dodge poles.

I think the issue with McNaney is that there are times where he does give up easy goals. It’s not every game or often, but there were a couple today that really shoulda been saved. He’s not great moving laterally still. Ultimately I don’t think it’s a major issue this year, the defense looks deep and great and the offense will score 15+ every week but it’s the one spot along with FO’s where you do wonder sometimes what if they could get someone who gets you 2-3 more saves a game.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:24 pm Murphy is indeed a surprise. Someone on another Maryland board made a really good comparison. Murphy is like a right handed and taller version of Anthony DeMaio.
I was thinking Connor Kelly. Seems like he has an uncanny ability to get himself an open look and then close it with a snipe. He's out there to score.
Don't know how good or bad the HP fogo is, but Wierman and Tygh were the best part of the day on a day full of great Terp performances. Haven't seen domination like that for the Terps too often in the past 6 years.
Nice to see #57 out there again. He was a huge loss last May.
As great as Grill was last year, I still think Makar was the best one on one defender on the team, and he showed it today. Hope he gets recognized nationally for what he has shown the past 3 years.
No Sherrer, Coffman and Smith is a lot of defense to be missing. Bubba showed great versatility by playing D. Ironically, he may be more dangerous on offense as a ssdm, keeping their offensive guy on the field, than in a normal offensive slot.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:05 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:24 pm Murphy is indeed a surprise. Someone on another Maryland board made a really good comparison. Murphy is like a right handed and taller version of Anthony DeMaio.
I was thinking Connor Kelly. Seems like he has an uncanny ability to get himself an open look and then close it with a snipe. He's out there to score.
Don't know how good or bad the HP fogo is, but Wierman and Tygh were the best part of the day on a day full of great Terp performances. Haven't seen domination like that for the Terps too often in the past 6 years.
Nice to see #57 out there again. He was a huge loss last May.
As great as Grill was last year, I still think Makar was the best one on one defender on the team, and he showed it today. Hope he gets recognized nationally for what he has shown the past 3 years.
No Sherrer, Coffman and Smith is a lot of defense to be missing. Bubba showed great versatility by playing D. Ironically, he may be more dangerous on offense as a ssdm, keeping their offensive guy on the field, than in a normal offensive slot.
I think Bubba def is. He could still shake a pole occasionally to create room to shoot, but didn’t have the outside shot. Getting in transition where he can take that offensive guy to the cage, or lower the shoulder like we saw today and get closer looks to the cage, will benefit him a lot. I still see him putting up strong offensive numbers this year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:58 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am
keno in reno wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am is there any confirmation that Trader is actually practicing with the team? He's on the roster, but that doesn't mean much if he's not out there.
Where's he going to play even if he is on the team? Terps already have, at the very least, 9 guys who are likely to get playing time: Wisnauskas, Khan, Donville, Maltz, Long, DeMaio, Fairman, Murphy, Malever. That's already a full attack and two full midfield lines. And that's to say nothing of Spanos who I know you guys are excited about. (At this point we can probably assume Kelly, Brennan, Koras x2, Goforth won't play much, if at all, this year — barring several injuries ahead of them.) Not sure where Trader can find time except perhaps as a rotational 2nd line middie at best, especially since he wasn't with the team in the fall. Tough to make a big enough impression to the point where you're bumping one of those other guys out of their presumed spots.
Would put Brennan in over Murphy. Should be fun to watch with all the options
You still sure about that?
We’ll they were both on the 2nd midfield. He did have very nice game. Look forward to watching his play this season
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

it was cold at the game but great to be there with the other 1600+ fans.

Was surprised that Bubba didn’t play offense but his defense and transition game was working well today. My guess was Koras got onto the 2nd midfield. The offensive transfers provided a nice surprise. When the subs went in I see that C. Burlace got Nolting assignment. Does anyone know why Sherrer didn’t play until the subs were put in the game?
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:32 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:24 pm Just got back from the game.

Agree on basically all of this. Im excited to see Bubba be able to stay on offense more when Smith and Coffman are back. That goal he scored where he ran in transition and bowled over the HPU shortie for the goal was tantalizing. He’s gonna have a strong year not having to dodge poles.

I think the issue with McNaney is that there are times where he does give up easy goals. It’s not every game or often, but there were a couple today that really shoulda been saved. He’s not great moving laterally still. Ultimately I don’t think it’s a major issue this year, the defense looks deep and great and the offense will score 15+ every week but it’s the one spot along with FO’s where you do wonder sometimes what if they could get someone who gets you 2-3 more saves a game.
[/quote

I think McNaney got robbed on the stat sheet in the 1st Q, they show 1 save. I could almost swear I saw at least 3 maybe more unless some of those where pipes.
Find someone that maybe saves a couple more in a game? Agree but will they compare with McNaneys play outside the goal? clears, steals and ground balls. I think he was 5th on the team with ground balls last year (42). How important are ground balls by a goalie do they carry the same amount of weight as a clean save with possession? How many possession did McNaney get by beating the opponent to the end line last year? Again change in possession caused by goalie play, is that as good as a save?
His stick skills aren't bad either. Ever notice he passes with the opposite hand once while. Just don't see that very often. His swim move?.Now a goalie like Entenmann he can make those extra saves he's great in the goal reminds me of a spider monkey but weaker outside it. I just wonder sometimes if they could just get someone like td Ierlan at FO that maybe gets you a few extra FO or D guy who can take the ball away and not be just an position guy.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Been reading Wheel's comments on McNaney for last two years. Obviously he just doesn't think McNaney should be the starter.
McNaney is a starter where ever he would have played. Just an outsiders thoughts
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cno3putts wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am Been reading Wheel's comments on McNaney for last two years. Obviously he just doesn't think McNaney should be the starter.
McNaney is a starter where ever he would have played. Just an outsiders thoughts
He’s clearly the best goalie on the roster, I have no doubts about that. Brandau was playing perfectly fine early 2020 and Tills benched him for McNaney. He’ll look for an upgrade wherever he can get it.

I just don’t think McNaney is as much of a + in the shot stopping department as Amato or Bernlohr were and maybe not even Morris. What he does out of the cage is valuable and in the clearing game. He’s not a bad goalie by any stretch. But he def let’s in 1-2 goals a game where I think “a better goalie stops those.”
molo

Post by molo »

By the way, did Brandao, who transferred from Georgetown to Maryland, stay at Maryland or transfer to someplace else? Is he still playing anywhere? He started some games for Georgetown at some point.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:59 am By the way, did Brandao, who transferred from Georgetown to Maryland, stay at Maryland or transfer to someplace else? Is he still playing anywhere? He started some games for Georgetown at some point.
He's at Dickinson
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:01 pm
molo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:59 am By the way, did Brandao, who transferred from Georgetown to Maryland, stay at Maryland or transfer to someplace else? Is he still playing anywhere? He started some games for Georgetown at some point.
He's at Dickinson
Good pick up from them,
they’ve barely played the past two years
and can use Brandau.
stanley848

Post by stanley848 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:46 pm Nice start to the year

Cons
It appeared to me that halfway through the 4Q, Maryland was up by 10 so Tills pulled some starters so guys on bench got playing time. Was that when you saw play get sloppy? Trying to piece it together. Thanks.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stanley848 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:37 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:46 pm Nice start to the year

Cons
It appeared to me that halfway through the 4Q, Maryland was up by 10 so Tills pulled some starters so guys on bench got playing time. Was that when you saw play get sloppy? Trying to piece it together. Thanks.
Beginning of 4Q and then halfway through when the backups started to come in as well. Couple more blown clears, ill advised passes, little things. Whole game got more sloppy albeit HPU had a lot of TOs all game
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cno3putts wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am Been reading Wheel's comments on McNaney for last two years. Obviously he just doesn't think McNaney should be the starter.
I've certainly never said that, nor do I think I've even implied that.

Like it was said above, he is great in the clearing game. He has a well-above average field game. He's just not a highlight reel save kind of goalie. He's got a really high floor and makes the saves you'd expect him to make.

I think he played his worst game in the national title game, and I suspect he'd even say the same thing.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:28 pm
I've certainly never said that, nor do I think I've even implied that.

Like it was said above, he is great in the clearing game. He has a well-above average field game. He's just not a highlight reel save kind of goalie. He's got a really high floor and makes the saves you'd expect him to make.

I think he played his worst game in the national title game, and I suspect he'd even say the same thing.
Also played his best game in the 4Q of the Notre Dame game and the Duke game, albeit Duke game was more about defense. That's the tricky thing with him. The great games are there. Just don't seem to happen quite enough. But also, he's still only got what, 20ish starts as a goalie? He can get better.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a total wipeout of the Hounds

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”