Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by Dr. Tact »

Justalaxdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Lax101 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm As stated on this site the regular season is a long grind for players and the preseason is long and tough as well. Word in the lax community is that the best player at NW has potentially a season ending injury. Heartbreaking situation for any player and that team.
This is correct. I heard about this the day of her injury but didn’t want to be the one to bring it up (not that you’re wrong for posting). She had ACL surgery this week. Very sad for this young lady but I’m sure she’ll come back stronger than ever.
Her absence from some of the more recent publicity posts has been conspicuous. This makes sense.
Happened last Friday against Notre Dame.
wow that sucks....just got my youngest from school for the weekend and she told me a star on her team was at her first practice after Field Hockey and stepped wrong...ACL, MCL and meniscus...Hoping for a quick recovery and a 5th year for them both.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

She should get a Medical RS and still have 2 years, if she wants. Big force on that team that will be missed.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Justalaxdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:54 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:30 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Lax101 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm As stated on this site the regular season is a long grind for players and the preseason is long and tough as well. Word in the lax community is that the best player at NW has potentially a season ending injury. Heartbreaking situation for any player and that team.
This is correct. I heard about this the day of her injury but didn’t want to be the one to bring it up (not that you’re wrong for posting). She had ACL surgery this week. Very sad for this young lady but I’m sure she’ll come back stronger than ever.
I heard about it too the other day but didnt want to put it out there. This will be a tough one for NU. Shes a great player and even nicer person. Makes BC/NU first game of the season def a little less "must see event" and hurts their chances to go far in playoffs. She has that much impact for her teaM. Was upset when I heard. Always the biggest fear as a parent.
Well said on BC/NU. Fully agree that it hurts the Wildcats chances of going far in the playoffs. Their advantage over Maryland just took a huge blow. Might be a fair fight now. NU does have some great players. It will be interesting to see how this affects Coykendall. She and Izzy were developing real chemistry last season.

May I ask -- why do teams keep injuries so secret? I haven't seen injuries kept under wraps like this in other sports.
I don’t think they’re trying keeping it secret. It’s not a mainstream sport so it’s not like there’s an injury report they have to follow. It just is what it is. Really the only thing they could do is put it on social media but IMO that would be weird. Another parent told me about it the day it happened and it didn't seem like they were worried about it getting out.
Thanks dad. Just a press release from the team would suffice. From there it would find its way to social media.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Gotta hand it to the custodians of the social media accounts for so many women's lacrosse teams. They come up with content pretty much every day. Granted, a lot of it is fluff, but still--to come up with something new to talk about each day during the long, long hot stove offseason is commendable.

We're getting there. In less than 3 months now we'll have actual games to write about. Cain't hardly wait to see which games are coming up. I remember last year one of the "laxdad" members typed out all the ranked/best? games due to be played in February. From what I remember, there were a goodly number.

Duke's Olivia Carney running on Notre Dame's Hannah Dorney
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:23 pm Image
Niiiiice! Women's Lacrosse in pop culture. Outstanding! Though unfortunately Watterson got the stick wrong. Still--very cool.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Git cher tickets early, folks! Step right up!

https://twitter.com/ncaalax/status/1462 ... 46153?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

2022 San Diego State Aztecs Women's Lacrosse Schedule

The Aztecs have been opting for a tougher schedule for a while now. This year they added the Wildcats from Evanston for a first time meeting. No doubt, pops will give assistant coach Taylor Gait the straight dope on Northwestern.

Feb. 12 - at USC
Feb. 18 - vs. Cal
Feb. 20 - at UC Davis
Feb. 25 - at Arizona State
Feb. 27 - at Oregon

March 12 - vs. Princeton
March 15 - vs. Marquette
March 23 - vs. Drexel
March 27 - vs. Denver
Mar. 30 - at Quinnipiac

Apr. 2 - at Columbia
Apr. 10 - at Northwestern
Apr. 16 - at Rutgers
Apr. 18 - vs. Brown
Apr. 24 - vs. UC Davis

https://goaztecs.com/news/2021/12/10/wo ... edule.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to even have a 2022 season with more and more pro teams canceling or moving games due to outbreaks of covid. Doesn't look very promising at this point. It's starting to feel like 2020 in the early stages. We'll see how it all shakes out but I'm beginning to lower my expectations.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:36 am I'm starting to wonder if we're going to even have a 2022 season with more and more pro teams canceling or moving games due to outbreaks of covid. Doesn't look very promising at this point. It's starting to feel like 2020 in the early stages. We'll see how it all shakes out but I'm beginning to lower my expectations.
I think that we will see how basketball goes and that may determine things. What worries me is Ivy League schools starting that "classes going remote, games cancelled" stuff again. Im hoping we all realize this virus is here to stay and we just have to deal with it. If it means wearing masking inside and outside I dont care. Im just hoping we don't go backward.
Last edited by Laxfan500 on Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:21 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:36 am I'm starting to wonder if we're going to even have a 2022 season with more and more pro teams canceling or moving games due to outbreaks of covid. Doesn't look very promising at this point. It's starting to feel like 2020 in the early stages. We'll see how it all shakes out but I'm beginning to lower my expectations.
I think that we will see how basketball goes and that may determine things. What worries me is Ivy League schools starting that "classes going remote, games cancelled" stuff again. Im hoping we all realize this virus is here to stay and we just have to deal with it. If it means wearing masking inside and outside I dont care. Im just hoping we doing go backward.
I hear you. The NHL too now has some teams shutting down until Dec 27th--Colorado Avalanche, Florida Panthers and Calgary Flames. Wouldn't that be crushing for the players in the Ivy League--after missing lacrosse for almost two years to miss even more time, some to the extent that their college lacrosse careers end in such a way. I have no idea what the right course of action is. And I'm with you--I don't mind wearing a mask. It's mandatory where I work so I've just become used to it. I hope we don't go backwards as well.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:36 am
I think that we will see how basketball goes and that may determine things. What worries me is Ivy League schools starting that "classes going remote, games cancelled" stuff again. Im hoping we all realize this virus is here to stay and we just have to deal with it. If it means wearing masking inside and outside I dont care. Im just hoping we doing go backward.
I hear you. The NHL too now has some teams shutting down until Dec 27th--Colorado Avalanche, Florida Panthers and Calgary Flames. Wouldn't that be crushing for the players in the Ivy League--after missing lacrosse for almost two years to miss even more time, some to the extent that their college lacrosse careers end in such a way. I have no idea what the right course of action is. And I'm with you--I don't mind wearing a mask. It's mandatory where I work so I've just become used to it. I hope we don't go backwards as well.
That would def be terrible for Ivy and kids like Sears who basically gave up school for a year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:59 am
That would def be terrible for Ivy and kids like Sears who basically gave up school for a year.
If we have a similar situation with the Ivy League canceling and the rest of the NCAA going through with the season, maybe Sears transfers late à la Gabby Rosenzweig?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:49 am
If we have a similar situation with the Ivy League canceling and the rest of the NCAA going through with the season, maybe Sears transfers late à la Gabby Rosenzweig?
It’s possible because I think she has 2 years left ? I know a lot of 5Th year kids - if given an extra year of eligibility- would not take it and would just graduate. That would be terrible . I’m going to be optimistic and hope for best .

I wonder if the USA event will still go on in a few weeks. Will Team England want to fly over here to play??
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:32 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:49 am
It’s possible because I think she has 2 years left ? I know a lot of 5Th year kids - if given an extra year of eligibility- would not take it and would just graduate. That would be terrible . I’m going to be optimistic and hope for best .

I wonder if the USA event will still go on in a few weeks. Will Team England want to fly over here to play??
Yeah, that’s a good question.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Why are the leagues shutting down? They are 95 percent vaccinated. The nhl is like 100 percent vaccinated.

What a total snafu.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:07 pm Why are the leagues shutting down? They are 95 percent vaccinated. The nhl is like 100 percent vaccinated.

What a total snafu.
I have no idea. The NFL is rescheduling games although they just settled on this covid policy:

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status ... 15080?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

One of the last posts under this topic as opening day is less than 2 weeks away. I think this article by Taylor Cummings casts a little shade on Boston College, and demonstrates a tad too much optimism for her alma mater:

Taylor’s Takes: The Best Season of the Year

Taylor Cummings is a three-time Tewaaraton winner, a member of Team USA, the inaugural Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse champion and the head coach at McDonogh (Md.). “Taylor’s Takes” is presented by Gait Lacrosse. Be legendary.

The best season of the year is almost upon us — lacrosse season! — and I couldn’t be more excited for all that the next few months have in store for us.

This offseason has been a rollercoaster ride at the Division I level, which only increases the eager anticipation for February.

Memorial Day Weekend concluded with Boston College on top of the women’s lacrosse world, holding both the national championship and Tewaaraton Award trophies. After four straight national championship game appearances, the Eagles finally won it all and ended their successful spring with another Tewaaraton winner in Charlotte North.

While BC returns much of its talented 2021 roster, there have been many changes in the makeup of other teams within the conference and Division I as a whole that could pose serious threats to the Eagles’ hopes of a repeat. Since Memorial Day, we’ve seen many players transfer to different programs, new coaches hired to top-tier schools, tenured and beloved veteran coaches announce retirement, upperclassmen decide to take their one more year of eligibility to fight for a final chance at a national championship, and so much more.

The talent pool for this year is one of the best we’ve seen in recent memory, and with so many changes to team rosters and staffs, there are a few unknowns for fans to be on the lookout for as the season goes on.

Some offseason changes that could make a huge difference come May include:

1. Maryland and North Carolina winning the transfer portal game this summer.

Both Maryland and North Carolina return many players from their 2021 seasons that bring both talent and experience, but they also gained a few very important transfers this summer that could give them the edge they need. Midfielders Andie Aldave (Notre Dame) and Olivia Dirks (Penn State) both bring NCAA and U.S. national training team experience to the already strong UNC midfield unit. They will bring even more firepower to a team that also returns Tewaaraton finalists Taylor Moreno and Jamie Ortega.

Maryland added lockdown defenders Abby Bosco (Penn) and Clancy Rheude (Albany) in addition to midfielder Shannon Smith (UNC) and attacker Aurora Cordingley (Johns Hopkins). Bringing in four veteran players, all of whom have immeasurable talent, experience, and leadership capabilities, could be the answer the Terps need to make it back to the Final Four come May.

2. Kayla Treanor hired as the newest Syracuse head coach.

Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021, falling just short of victory in the national championship game. With former head coach Gary Gait taking the men’s job at Syracuse, it was obvious to so many of us that the next women’s coach needed to be Kayla Treanor.

With her success as a former Orange player and current U.S. national team veteran, combined with her experience as an assistant coach at BC (where she coached the team to four championship game appearances and a victory), Treanor made it quite clear that she should be next in line and earned the job this summer.

Her Orange squad returns stars Emily Hawryschuk and Megan Carney from ACL injuries, the House of Tyrrell duo in attackers Emma and Meghan Tyrrell and a talented defense on top of it all. Not to mention a midfield headlined by Sam Swart and Sierra Cockerille.

With so many gifted players and Kayla’s ingenious lacrosse mind, it will be intriguing to see what’s added to the quiver for the Orange. Regardless, Syracuse will be a hard one to defeat this spring.

3. Tucker and Sailer to retire after the 2022 season.

Johns Hopkins’ Janine Tucker and Princeton’s Chris Sailer are two of the most successful coaches in the history of women’s lacrosse. They are beloved by their current players and alums, respected by other coaches within the women’s lacrosse community and have helped push our game farther with each season.

Tucker has been with the Blue Jays for almost three decades now and has been a five-time Regional Coach of the Year during her tenure. Sailer has been with the Tigers for 34 seasons, winning three national championships and becoming the first lacrosse coach, male or female, to reach 400 wins with the same Division I program.

It will be interesting to see how both of their teams respond this season knowing that this is their coach’s last ride. I’m sure we will be seeing more fire and passion than ever before in the Tigers and Blue Jays as they fight to send their coaches out on top.

4. Experience galore at Duke.

The Blue Devils return 16 players with at least four years of college lacrosse experience this season, which is a scary realization. A talented freshmen class and sophomore returner Katie DeSimone look to compliment seasoned players Maddie Jenner, Sophia LeRose, Katie Cronin, Anna Callahan and Catriona Barry as they fight to get back to the Final Four in May.

With so much experience, maturity, and confidence in their key players that stems from a successful 2021 season, Duke will be a tough game for every opponent they face.

TAYLOR’S (PRESEASON) TOP 10
1. Boston College
2. North Carolina
3. Syracuse
4. Maryland
5. Northwestern
6. Stony Brook
7. Duke
8. Florida
9. Loyola
10. Notre Dame

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-year
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:51 am One of the last posts under this topic as opening day is less than 2 weeks away. I think this article by Taylor Cummings casts a little shade on Boston College, and demonstrates a tad too much optimism for her alma mater:

Taylor’s Takes: The Best Season of the Year

Taylor Cummings is a three-time Tewaaraton winner, a member of Team USA, the inaugural Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse champion and the head coach at McDonogh (Md.). “Taylor’s Takes” is presented by Gait Lacrosse. Be legendary.

The best season of the year is almost upon us — lacrosse season! — and I couldn’t be more excited for all that the next few months have in store for us.

This offseason has been a rollercoaster ride at the Division I level, which only increases the eager anticipation for February.

Memorial Day Weekend concluded with Boston College on top of the women’s lacrosse world, holding both the national championship and Tewaaraton Award trophies. After four straight national championship game appearances, the Eagles finally won it all and ended their successful spring with another Tewaaraton winner in Charlotte North.

While BC returns much of its talented 2021 roster, there have been many changes in the makeup of other teams within the conference and Division I as a whole that could pose serious threats to the Eagles’ hopes of a repeat. Since Memorial Day, we’ve seen many players transfer to different programs, new coaches hired to top-tier schools, tenured and beloved veteran coaches announce retirement, upperclassmen decide to take their one more year of eligibility to fight for a final chance at a national championship, and so much more.

The talent pool for this year is one of the best we’ve seen in recent memory, and with so many changes to team rosters and staffs, there are a few unknowns for fans to be on the lookout for as the season goes on.

Some offseason changes that could make a huge difference come May include:

1. Maryland and North Carolina winning the transfer portal game this summer.

Both Maryland and North Carolina return many players from their 2021 seasons that bring both talent and experience, but they also gained a few very important transfers this summer that could give them the edge they need. Midfielders Andie Aldave (Notre Dame) and Olivia Dirks (Penn State) both bring NCAA and U.S. national training team experience to the already strong UNC midfield unit. They will bring even more firepower to a team that also returns Tewaaraton finalists Taylor Moreno and Jamie Ortega.

Maryland added lockdown defenders Abby Bosco (Penn) and Clancy Rheude (Albany) in addition to midfielder Shannon Smith (UNC) and attacker Aurora Cordingley (Johns Hopkins). Bringing in four veteran players, all of whom have immeasurable talent, experience, and leadership capabilities, could be the answer the Terps need to make it back to the Final Four come May.

2. Kayla Treanor hired as the newest Syracuse head coach.

Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021, falling just short of victory in the national championship game. With former head coach Gary Gait taking the men’s job at Syracuse, it was obvious to so many of us that the next women’s coach needed to be Kayla Treanor.

With her success as a former Orange player and current U.S. national team veteran, combined with her experience as an assistant coach at BC (where she coached the team to four championship game appearances and a victory), Treanor made it quite clear that she should be next in line and earned the job this summer.

Her Orange squad returns stars Emily Hawryschuk and Megan Carney from ACL injuries, the House of Tyrrell duo in attackers Emma and Meghan Tyrrell and a talented defense on top of it all. Not to mention a midfield headlined by Sam Swart and Sierra Cockerille.

With so many gifted players and Kayla’s ingenious lacrosse mind, it will be intriguing to see what’s added to the quiver for the Orange. Regardless, Syracuse will be a hard one to defeat this spring.

3. Tucker and Sailer to retire after the 2022 season.

Johns Hopkins’ Janine Tucker and Princeton’s Chris Sailer are two of the most successful coaches in the history of women’s lacrosse. They are beloved by their current players and alums, respected by other coaches within the women’s lacrosse community and have helped push our game farther with each season.

Tucker has been with the Blue Jays for almost three decades now and has been a five-time Regional Coach of the Year during her tenure. Sailer has been with the Tigers for 34 seasons, winning three national championships and becoming the first lacrosse coach, male or female, to reach 400 wins with the same Division I program.

It will be interesting to see how both of their teams respond this season knowing that this is their coach’s last ride. I’m sure we will be seeing more fire and passion than ever before in the Tigers and Blue Jays as they fight to send their coaches out on top.

4. Experience galore at Duke.

The Blue Devils return 16 players with at least four years of college lacrosse experience this season, which is a scary realization. A talented freshmen class and sophomore returner Katie DeSimone look to compliment seasoned players Maddie Jenner, Sophia LeRose, Katie Cronin, Anna Callahan and Catriona Barry as they fight to get back to the Final Four in May.

With so much experience, maturity, and confidence in their key players that stems from a successful 2021 season, Duke will be a tough game for every opponent they face.

TAYLOR’S (PRESEASON) TOP 10
1. Boston College
2. North Carolina
3. Syracuse
4. Maryland
5. Northwestern
6. Stony Brook
7. Duke
8. Florida
9. Loyola
10. Notre Dame

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-year
Shade where? Because she acknowledge that other programs have had some roster changes? I don't see it as shading Boston College at all. She has them ranked #1. Or is it because BC wasn't highlighted as a talking point? Because USALacrosseMag (where Taylor's Takes is published) just published an entire article dedicated to Charlotte North last week in addition to the BC preview as preseason #1.

The roster changes definitely make it difficult to anticipate how that team will perform, so I can see what she means when she says that it "could pose serious threats to the Eagles’ hopes of a repeat". They'll get everyone's best shot this year.

And as far as optimism about Maryland, I mean c'mon. So she's got her alma mater ranked higher in the top 10 than most other polls. I almost expected it. If bumping her team up a few spots is the only time her bias is going to shine through, I'm fine with that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:25 pm Shade where? Because she acknowledge that other programs have had some roster changes? I don't see it as shading Boston College at all. She has them ranked #1. Or is it because BC wasn't highlighted as a talking point? Because USALacrosseMag (where Taylor's Takes is published) just published an entire article dedicated to Charlotte North last week in addition to the BC preview as preseason #1.

The roster changes definitely make it difficult to anticipate how that team will perform, so I can see what she means when she says that it "could pose serious threats to the Eagles’ hopes of a repeat". They'll get everyone's best shot this year.

And as far as optimism about Maryland, I mean c'mon. So she's got her alma mater ranked higher in the top 10 than most other polls. I almost expected it. If bumping her team up a few spots is the only time her bias is going to shine through, I'm fine with that.
I would be more inclined to answer your question if it didn’t prove to be rhetorical; not to mention condescending and presumptuous. (None of your guesses came remotely close to hitting the mark, by the way.)

As far as the position of Maryland in the polls – she's got her alma mater ranked higher in the top 10 than all other polls. None had the Terps anywhere near number 4.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”