Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let’s just call it a cultural fit as well as perhaps more interest in future professional endeavors over the student athlete route. But that’s wayy too much as it is. Terrific talent, great size. If it works out it’ll be a big difference maker for OSU this year. If not…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AOD

Post by AOD »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ha

Post by 1766 »

AOD wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 pm
And Rutgers says: "Hold my beer" -

https://news.yahoo.com/rutgers-athletic ... 01492.html
Don't stress yourself out too much, the forthcoming media rights deal is going to make every other conference pale in comparison. Not to mention the change in accounting practices. Official plans for a new football indoor practice facility (lacrosse will keep the existing one), a new soccer stadium, and big upgrades to Yurcak for lacrosse only, along with other capital improvements have been submitted to the President. Approval forthcoming. President Holloway is big proponent of athletics. Moving forward that will be very evident.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i think a similar deficit the previous year from that article or another one i read awhile back.

they went from getting $2 million from the big east to $30 million now and still this. last in donations in the p5, next to last in tix, 3rd to last in revenue... but the university will forgive it all or we'll hire new accountants.

nothing to see here, move along.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Signed Arthur Anderson

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:45 pm

i think a similar deficit the previous year from that article or another one i read awhile back.

they went from getting $2 million from the big east to $30 million now and still this. last in donations in the p5, next to last in tix, 3rd to last in revenue... but the university will forgive it all or we'll hire new accountants.

Covid years make for funny stats. You're forgetting upwards of $70MM the school will be getting yearly within 4 years.

I'd worry a lot more about schools like Syracuse. They aren't going to be able to keep pace.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And Walgreens got some highly effective blood tests out of those Theranos machines.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 pm

Covid years make for funny stats. You're forgetting upwards of $70MM the school will be getting yearly within 4 years.

I'd worry a lot more about schools like Syracuse. They aren't going to be able to keep pace.
i think i'm catching on. my worry for rutty and umd when they moved was that they ran things like the government. maybe they can float bonds for the athletic dept? has it been 10s of millions annually since the move? it has. no change. that $28 or $58 million debt was quaint in hindsight. what's it now, a quarter large?

maybe the state or the university won't care. that's best case. then you'll have to compete with tosu raking 2-fitty +. not 70 and scraps. but you have that o-line signed.

nc$$'s gonna be weird the next 10 years.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Dead last in donations is a big problem. NJ is a fairly affluent state but its alumni continue to sit on their wallets as they believe they already gave at the tax window. The fundraisers are very concerned.

Since joining the Big 10, the problem has only grown. Holloway concedes this is "unsustainable" (his words) but doesn't have a clue how to right the ship. The "in the know crowd" first promised an athletic balanced budget by 2020, then 2026 and now it's "sometime in the future." Holloway won't put a date on that, and certainly won't embrace the 2026 promise, because, again, he doesn't have a clue. Holloway would love to "forgive" the internal debt, but he well knows he can't do that until he has a prescription to stop the bleeding. And since he doesn't have a clue, he's not in a position to ask for forgiveness.

Projected Big 10 revenue for 2020 was scheduled to be $42M last year, but oops it was really $30M. RU was originally scheduled to receive a full share this year, but now that's been moved to 2026.

Merit aid has declined, professors' salaries are lagging, layoffs continue at depression pace but hey, they have a new "sleep pod".

This problem won't be solved. TOSU still spends at least $55M more annually than RU; Michigan even more. Football enables that. The RU sports media market is first and foremost a professional sports market. Three pro football teams, three pro basketball teams, three professional hockey teams and three baseball teams all play within 60 miles. Rutgers football, even and only when playing well, is a Saturday afternoon diversion; not a weekend that begins on Thursday like Penn State. You don't have the generational gatherings that sustain the momentum in the thin times. Rutgers loses ground simply by trying to keep up.

I like Holloway and I wish him well. But, he has to fix a lot of the past. Barchi was brought in elevate the med school. And that he may have done.
But, he gave free reign to Hobbs because he mistakenly believed Hobbs' experience at Seton Hall qualified him to run with the Big 10 dogs. Hobbs needs a better plan than to fleece the students and the taxpayers while he shoves the salaries of his hiring mistakes through the bloated budget. Hobbs just shrugs his shoulders and says Barchi didn't really understand athletics. He hasn't articulated a plan for success that reassures a nervous governor and a jaded alumni. And now, the quality of education is at risk because the school simply doesn't understand how to solve this problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-AASWaVn
AOD

Post by AOD »

AOD wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:27 pm

Dead last in donations is a big problem. NJ is a fairly affluent state but its alumni continue to sit on their wallets as they believe they already gave at the tax window. The fundraisers are very concerned.

Since joining the Big 10, the problem has only grown. Holloway concedes this is "unsustainable" (his words) but doesn't have a clue how to right the ship. The "in the know crowd" first promised an athletic balanced budget by 2020, then 2026 and now it's "sometime in the future." Holloway won't put a date on that, and certainly won't embrace the 2026 promise, because, again, he doesn't have a clue. Holloway would love to "forgive" the internal debt, but he well knows he can't do that until he has a prescription to stop the bleeding. And since he doesn't have a clue, he's not in a position to ask for forgiveness.

Projected Big 10 revenue for 2020 was scheduled to be $42M last year, but oops it was really $30M. RU was originally scheduled to receive a full share this year, but now that's been moved to 2026.

Merit aid has declined, professors' salaries are lagging, layoffs continue at depression pace but hey, they have a new "sleep pod".

This problem won't be solved. TOSU still spends at least $55M more annually than RU; Michigan even more. Football enables that. The RU sports media market is first and foremost a professional sports market. Three pro football teams, three pro basketball teams, three professional hockey teams and three baseball teams all play within 60 miles. Rutgers football, even and only when playing well, is a Saturday afternoon diversion; not a weekend that begins on Thursday like Penn State. You don't have the generational gatherings that sustain the momentum in the thin times. Rutgers loses ground simply by trying to keep up.

I like Holloway and I wish him well. But, he has to fix a lot of the past. Barchi was brought in elevate the med school. And that he may have done.
But, he gave free reign to Hobbs because he mistakenly believed Hobbs' experience at Seton Hall qualified him to run with the Big 10 dogs. Hobbs needs a better plan than to fleece the students and the taxpayers while he shoves the salaries of his hiring mistakes through the bloated budget. Hobbs just shrugs his shoulders and says Barchi didn't really understand athletics. He hasn't articulated a plan for success that reassures a nervous governor and a jaded alumni. And now, the quality of education is at risk because the school simply doesn't understand how to solve this problem.

Since Rutgers sequesters 100% of the student fee to support the athletic department, today's settlement should be added to the department's budget deficit. $78M and counting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rutge ... ar-AATn7Ad
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

AOD,
Are you a part of the Rutgers 1000? probably more like the Rutgers 100 who would like to see Rutgers drop to the level of the Ivy/Patriot League? What do you suggest the administration do?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 pm
On defense, they just haven't been the same since Sabia graduated. I was really surprised to see them extend out so much last year to pressure ball carriers so far out from the goal. They almost created offense for opponents (reminded me of UNC). Getting beat 25 yards from the goal, sliding early and from far away, and giving up doorstep shots off quick ball movement. They didn't have the athletes to pull off that kind of defense (only 61 caused TOs). Fyock does take up a lot room in the goal, but PSU got out-shot last year (with lower SOG and shooting % than their opponents). Of course, the offense didn't help (196 TOs, 106 of which were caused TOs).

You'd think they'd pack it in more this year and let Fyock use his size and positioning to make it harder on shooters.
I think Fracyon is starting by midseason. I never really got the sense that Tambroni was committed to Fyock long term. It took him awhile to make him the starter even as Kneese was clearly struggling, and then once he did he was never exactly a full-time player. Only played a full 60 minutes once last season.
I was surprised he moved on from Kneese mid-year last season. A 4-year starter...and boom, gone. I think it says a lot about the defense and not necessarily about the goalie. I'd be hesitant to put a freshman in goal heading into the B1G regular season unless the defense in front of him is much better. Getting lit up by college shooters isn't a good thing for the confidence of a freshman goalie. If they do get him in, it will mean the defense is probably really improved.
Fracyon is the most highly recruited goalie PSU has had in a long time, this will definitely be a storyline to watch in Happy Valley.

Kneese was 43% last year and had some games where he really struggled. I think it says more about how much Tambroni wanted him to succeed by how long he kept him in.
FWIW, the Virginia staff and team were impressed with Penn State in their recent scrimmage. It would not surprise if they bounce back and contend with Maryland and HOP for the Big 10 Title.

Post by 1766 »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:42 pm AOD,
Are you a part of the Rutgers 1000? probably more like the Rutgers 100 who would like to see Rutgers drop to the level of the Ivy/Patriot League? What do you suggest the administration do?
He or she is irrelevant.

The important thing is President Holloway is squarely behind athletics. It's a great time in the department, hence how well it's doing on the field. Currently above schools like Ohio St. and Virginia in the Director's Cup standings and likely to move even higher after the spring.

The capital projects forthcoming are going to be amazing for the entire school, including athletics. It's a great time for the AD.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Too funny.

The fake it until you make millennial culture is strong I see.
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

Being a public University in the Northeast is different than other parts of the country. NY State does not have a "big time" sports University. The New England public universities are more like Rutgers than the other Big 10, ACC, etc schools.
a fan

Post by a fan »

They'll be fine. Just like every other Big Football School, Rutgers is getting well over $300 Million per year from Uncle Sam for "research", which we all know includes ~52% for "overhead"....translation: pretty much anything you want.

Federal Research dollars are starting to make athletic budgets look like couch change, and no one is talking about it.

By way of comparison, Syracuse gets 1/10th the Federal dollars that Rutgers is getting for research.

Hopkins? They're so flush with Federal money that they should be paying kids to attend, not the other way around. :lol:

https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsf22311/
AOD

Post by AOD »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:42 pm AOD,
Not a member of Rutgers 1000. But, it's hard to ignore the litigation with the professors' union.

Tough question on what to do. Holloway promised before he got the job and repeated in interviews since that leaving the Big 10 is not an option. The school hasn't had much success leaning on donors. It's hope for now is to improve FB and BB to the point where those sports become reliable high-revenue generators. Even if that happens, they will never reach the heights of their aspirational targets. They will never have the spending ability of tOSU, Mich or PSU. Heck, Northwestern is leaving them behind. The administration will need to be content with simply being a member of the conference.

The coaches with the most success rely on local talent. Schiano's first order of business was to revive his NJ recruiting connections. Pikiell has had a little local luck. In the non-revenue sports, women's soccer, women's field hockey and wrestling are killing it with NJ impact players. WS and WFH both were ranked at one time #1 in the nation this year. Those coaches can offer, among other things, a tuition bargain compared to the Big10 competition. And in non-revenue sports where scholarships are few and fractionalized, the cost of attendance appeals to many.
AOD

Post by AOD »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:55 pm

They'll be fine. Just like every other Big Football School, Rutgers is getting well over $300 Million per year from Uncle Sam for "research", which we all know includes ~52% for "overhead"....translation: pretty much anything you want.

Federal Research dollars are starting to make athletic budgets look like couch change, and no one is talking about it.

By way of comparison, Syracuse gets 1/10th the Federal dollars that Rutgers is getting for research.

Hopkins? They're so flush with Federal money that they should be paying kids to attend, not the other way around. :lol:

Not sure about that. NJ support for Rutgers hovers around 20% (was nearly 25%) of operating revenue while sponsored research is 14%. NJ's support for Rutgers has declined and this trend is almost certain to continue. State and Federal appropriations have moved in opposite directions. At the State legislature level, Rutgers' athletic budget deficit makes it difficult to get behind a push for more appropriations when local primary and secondary educational institutions are banging on the door. The optics are poor.
a fan

Post by a fan »

AOD wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:15 pm Not sure about that. NJ support for Rutgers hovers around 20% (was nearly 25%) of operating revenue while sponsored research is 14%. NJ's support for Rutgers has declined and this trend is almost certain to continue. State and Federal appropriations have moved in opposite directions. At the State legislature level, Rutgers' athletic budget deficit makes it difficult to get behind a push for more appropriations when local primary and secondary educational institutions are banging on the door. The optics are poor.
Can't argue your point. Don't know a thing about Rutgers or NJ politics. My "they'll be fine" comment might be horribly wrong.

But I do know that these massive amounts of Federal dollars fix a whole mess of problems for these schools...and the amount goes up every year. To me, it's a back door for DC Senators and Congressmen to send money to constituents/pay back donors, and that's why the money only goes up every year...never down.

If you look at table 23 in the link, you'll see the Feds shipped Rutgers 58% more money than it did just ten years ago.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”