TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Unbelievably annoying announcing during the ND MD game. These guys need to watch a Cornell game and listen to Barry Leonard, or the guys who call the UVA home games, or Powell. There's so much good announcing with all the different games being shown. It's painful and distracting to just hear guys chat while watching a game.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Agree ND/MD announcing was not good. Not sure what Goluc brings to the table. Almost sounded like his observations were fed to him or he was given things to say the night before. Way too much chatter on non-lacrosse topics by all.
Has Carc ever met a multi-sport athlete who wasn’t great at the other sports they did? Seems like everyone was a ‘great’ wrestler/quarterback/hockey player in high school. Be willing to bet some of those guys were ‘good’ or ‘average.’
Would like to hear games called professionally and sticking to play on the field with announcers amplifying the broadcast with their lacrosse experience and insights.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Great? More like best in all of college lacrosse/country/universe. How can there possibly be so many bests in all of? Hugely annoying, Carc makes me nuts with that.
I liked Golic, thought he brought a refreshing enthusiasm and appreciation to the broadcast. The other two...not so much.
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

Like listening to a three-headed version of fromer Yankee broadcaster, Phil Rizzuto. Play-by-play man actually re-directed the conversation back to stickball after the other two had dropped it! Only thing missing was a conversation about canolis from the Rizzuto playbook. At least Rizzuto had the good taste to leave in the bottom of the 7th inning.

Now that Carc and Quint seem to have been split up, is it too early to extrapolate that Carc is the common denominator for bad broadcasting?
oldsportsfan

Post by oldsportsfan »

tb toad wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:45 pm Like listening to a three-headed version of fromer Yankee broadcaster, Phil Rizzuto. Play-by-play man actually re-directed the conversation back to stickball after the other two had dropped it! Only thing missing was a conversation about canolis from the Rizzuto playbook. At least Rizzuto had the good taste to leave in the bottom of the 7th inning.

Now that Carc and Quint seem to have been split up, is it too early to extrapolate that Carc is the common denominator for bad broadcasting?
Agree with last statement and Golic is right on his heels. Sometimes I don't know why possesion is given on face off scrum. If these guys would pay attention to the game maybe they could inform us. Also with no names on Jersey could they tell when 2nd, middie line is on. maybe tell us when defense is in a zone. Less about Carc's hair cutting ability,Golics weight lifting or how his calves are so much bigger than some ND golie, of years ago
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

What was the garbage throughout the Loyola/Duke game?
The whole conversation about the loyola player’s mother was inappropriate. Carc and quint need to be retired.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:45 am What was the garbage throughout the Loyola/Duke game?
The whole conversation about the loyola player’s mother was inappropriate. Carc and quint need to be retired.
I watched the game last night with the wife. She said....”these guys are like teenagers in the bathroom”. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Totally.
They always seem to go off on tangents and end up talking about that crap.
The inside jokes, talk about lighting Quint up in shoot arounds, the "BL lost and found" references, and general lax bro chatter is exhausting and embarrassing. It would be nice if the sport could graduate into the mainstream enough so we could get some straight-up normal announcers. There's a reason Evan Washburn is doing the NFL on CBS and these guys are still on the Ocho.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

You know where we're going to get fantastic announcing? MIAA game of the week with Booker Corrigan sponsored by FCA. I hope Shriver is also calling again this year. A week ago on the Glenn Clark show, even Booker was giving the announcing of Carc and company a hard time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dear Quit,
Please, just stfu about the shot clock and your constant criticism of the game. The shot clock is working fine. That certainly seems to be the general consensus but you have to complain about it not going to sixty seconds on a reset. Leave it alone, Quint, it's okay, we don't have to constantly tweak the game. How bout you wait til the off season for your suggestions and just call the games as you see them during the season. STFU about the clock, leave it alone and spare us all, would you!!!!
Thanks for your consideration,
DMac
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm Dear Quit,
Please, just stfu about the shot clock and your constant criticism of the game. The shot clock is working fine. That certainly seems to be the general consensus but you have to complain about it not going to sixty seconds on a reset. Leave it alone, Quint, it's okay, we don't have to constantly tweak the game. How bout you wait til the off season for your suggestions and just call the games as you see them during the season. STFU about the clock, leave it alone and spare us all, would you!!!!
DMac
I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the 80 second reset. Tierney had a lot to say about it on Carc’s podcast.

But I agree color on a game is not the time and place.

I’m also personally for making the reset no more than 60 seconds.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Mark Dixon and Pete Medhurst are doing a good job on the Rutgers/Lehigh game. They are sticking to the game with no crazy off topic conversation.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Pete is phenomonial.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 pm Mark Dixon and Pete Medhurst are doing a good job on the Rutgers/Lehigh game. They are sticking to the game with no crazy off topic conversation.
I agree these two are great, they actually do play by play with a little color. While Quint was unwatchable doing the Hop Mt game last night. He does color with a little play by play. Constantly going off on side bars and talking to the audience like this is the first time they have ever seen a game. Rambling on about the classes he took at Hopkins, and as a former goalie I can't believe he says turn and rake after some goals. It's brutal.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 pm
DMac
I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the 80 second reset. Tierney had a lot to say about it on Carc’s podcast.

The problem is the technology and implementation. I don’t think shot clocks have an 80 and 60 second option. Once you set them for use, it’s one or the other for the game. Keep it simple and easy for officials and clock operators.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I wonder if there is and how much $$ for a wireless technology that would allow one of the on-field refs to reset the clock with some kind of hand/belt switch, instead of relying on a hand signal to an intern on the sideline.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 pm
DMac

The problem is the technology and implementation. I don’t think shot clocks have an 80 and 60 second option. Once you set them for use, it’s one or the other for the game. Keep it simple and easy for officials and clock operators.
Truly, how many times per game do we get a reset with the ball staying with the attacking team? Lots of trouble to have 2 different times if it doesn't really come into play all that often. It's 20 seconds...
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Given the new shot clock rules, and the ability to really run out a game with that last couple possessions, I think it may be interesting to implement: Under 2:00- keep it in the box and under 2:00- the shot clock gets turned off.

:?:
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I think the real solution here on the 60 versus 80 issue lies in detaching the clearing clock from the shot clock.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:53 pm I think the real solution here on the 60 versus 80 issue lies in detaching the clearing clock from the shot clock.
that was what was originally not just proposed, but cleared for takeoff. then it was panned for a number of reasons, most prominent that it would kill incentive to clear quickly and even more to finish looking at offensive transition.
i.e. get over the line --- stop abruptly and get all of your offensive personnel on so you can utilize the 60 seconds. wait too long to do that, you're killing your own shot clock with non - A - grade personnel.

there are shot clocks that can take 2 different clock settings. the concern mostly centered around ease of operation for the clock people. does anyone know if there is typically a separate person running the shot clock vs. the regular scoreboard/clock? if not, i can see how juggling might be tough, but basketball --- with live scoring and clock running --- is probably infinitely more difficult. if there's a separate shot clock person --- 2 buttons, watching the officials really shouldn't be that hard. and as has been pointed out, not sure it actually happens that often. and go get the ball back if you don't like it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”