Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by Wheels »

Young Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:24 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:02 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am Here is Michigan's schedule. Here are my two questions.

1. Does Michigan get their first double-digit win season? They went 8-6 in both 2017 and 2018.
2. Does Michigan finish in the top four of the Big Ten for the first time?

https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule/2022
Most schedules of at large contenders have a 2-3 games against top ivy/patriot/big east/big ten teams plus an acc or two. Obviously there are only so many of those games to go around it just feels like michigan should have the budget to be able to play anyone anywhere and in year 10 or whatever it should have more meat than this.
Yeah, it looks like a schedule put together by a coach who knows he needs a lot of wins that might not actually matter. But, wow, look at all of the wins!!

If you look at Lax Ref's non-con SOS, MD and JHU have hard schedules; yet their overall SOS is much lower. The B1G is dragging down their overall SOS.
Totally understand your comment about Mich's "contract year schedule". Flip side - If you were an ACC would you schedule Michigan OOC in 2022? Prob not, it will hurt your RPI.

Yes, would be nice to see Mich schedule Lehigh / Denver / GTown.
While the other B1G do have a bunch of Ivies, other than Yale and prob Penn I have no idea how good any of them actually are. Are they better than Delaware (who I think will be good)? We shall see.
To truly make noise this year, Michigan will need to avoid an early game like Merrimack a few yrs back and be undefeated heading to South Bend.
Every B1G game is obviously huge as I could see some wild tie breaker scenarios for seeding with everybody in again.
Looking forward to the season - can someone warm it up outside a bit?
The other way to think about it, perhaps not from my cynical point of view, is that Conry wants a still relatively young team to get some good momentum heading into the B1G regular season. If they can knock off ND or keep it really close, that will boost their confidence. A lot of those younger players have some swag to them. The offense will be good. It's the defense that needs to step up. Having a good FOGO is a great place to start.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am Here is Michigan's schedule. Here are my two questions.

1. Does Michigan get their first double-digit win season? They went 8-6 in both 2017 and 2018.
2. Does Michigan finish in the top four of the Big Ten for the first time?

https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule/2022
UM will be better and continues to improve but I think No and No to your questions. 6 or 7 easier games on the schedule doesn't get them 10 wins and I'm not sure who they beat in the Big10.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bananas wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:35 pm Have to factor all when assessing goalies and defenses. Quality of opponent offenses ,number and quality of shots faced, ability to initiate off saves, communication . Fair to say that Kirst is a top five goalie . He faced good opponents and many shots , the defense in front of him while good was not Terp quality and his passing ability jumpstarted our offense.

Clear tie in between faceoffs and defense. Defenses and goalies are at a distinct disadvantage in a game when faceoffs below 35% and offenses at a advantage if faceoffs over 65%. Lehigh at 80% and ND at 62% and Georgetown at 57% means fewer possessions and less opportunities for opponent and vice versa for their offenses

Maryland at 47% and Knights at a paltry 39% dont tell tell whole story. Some ooc fogos with high % padded against weaker fogos , A fogo below 50 % is as good as their ability to hold above 40% agaisnt the better ones . DuGenio went 56% agaisnt UNC duo . Terps more than held their own against Duke and UVA

Will add that better fogos also initiate some offense off wins , does anyone know Dugenio had 3 goals and 7 assists and 7 caused turnovers?

.Look for DuGenio to improve in his 2nd year and Stephan to be a big help giving Rutgers and b10 another good duo .
Watched a lot of Stephan past few years in NEC play. Nice player who can stay on the field and be functional but probably won’t break much above 50% for you I’d bet. Better than 40% but I’d expect him depending on matchups and PT to be in the 47-52% range and superior FOGOs will be 60%+ against him
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

One should expect Dugenio to be much improved. The Big Ten is a beast with fogo's and he had no OOC games to get acclimated. Welcome to the big leagues. Even so, he brought a lot to the table during the year, including winning key faceoffs, along with scoring goals.

By reports coming out of practice, he's upped his game both in technique and strength.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 pm
On defense, they just haven't been the same since Sabia graduated. I was really surprised to see them extend out so much last year to pressure ball carriers so far out from the goal. They almost created offense for opponents (reminded me of UNC). Getting beat 25 yards from the goal, sliding early and from far away, and giving up doorstep shots off quick ball movement. They didn't have the athletes to pull off that kind of defense (only 61 caused TOs). Fyock does take up a lot room in the goal, but PSU got out-shot last year (with lower SOG and shooting % than their opponents). Of course, the offense didn't help (196 TOs, 106 of which were caused TOs).

You'd think they'd pack it in more this year and let Fyock use his size and positioning to make it harder on shooters.
I think Fracyon is starting by midseason. I never really got the sense that Tambroni was committed to Fyock long term. It took him awhile to make him the starter even as Kneese was clearly struggling, and then once he did he was never exactly a full-time player. Only played a full 60 minutes once last season.
I was surprised he moved on from Kneese mid-year last season. A 4-year starter...and boom, gone. I think it says a lot about the defense and not necessarily about the goalie. I'd be hesitant to put a freshman in goal heading into the B1G regular season unless the defense in front of him is much better. Getting lit up by college shooters isn't a good thing for the confidence of a freshman goalie. If they do get him in, it will mean the defense is probably really improved.
Fracyon is the most highly recruited goalie PSU has had in a long time, this will definitely be a storyline to watch in Happy Valley.

Kneese was 43% last year and had some games where he really struggled. I think it says more about how much Tambroni wanted him to succeed by how long he kept him in.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 pm
On defense, they just haven't been the same since Sabia graduated. I was really surprised to see them extend out so much last year to pressure ball carriers so far out from the goal. They almost created offense for opponents (reminded me of UNC). Getting beat 25 yards from the goal, sliding early and from far away, and giving up doorstep shots off quick ball movement. They didn't have the athletes to pull off that kind of defense (only 61 caused TOs). Fyock does take up a lot room in the goal, but PSU got out-shot last year (with lower SOG and shooting % than their opponents). Of course, the offense didn't help (196 TOs, 106 of which were caused TOs).

You'd think they'd pack it in more this year and let Fyock use his size and positioning to make it harder on shooters.
I think Fracyon is starting by midseason. I never really got the sense that Tambroni was committed to Fyock long term. It took him awhile to make him the starter even as Kneese was clearly struggling, and then once he did he was never exactly a full-time player. Only played a full 60 minutes once last season.
I was surprised he moved on from Kneese mid-year last season. A 4-year starter...and boom, gone. I think it says a lot about the defense and not necessarily about the goalie. I'd be hesitant to put a freshman in goal heading into the B1G regular season unless the defense in front of him is much better. Getting lit up by college shooters isn't a good thing for the confidence of a freshman goalie. If they do get him in, it will mean the defense is probably really improved.
Fracyon is the most highly recruited goalie PSU has had in a long time, this will definitely be a storyline to watch in Happy Valley.

Kneese was 43% last year and had some games where he really struggled. I think it says more about how much Tambroni wanted him to succeed by how long he kept him in.
Austin Kaut, he was a big recruit but people questioned his
competition, he went on to win Goaltender of the Year.
Drew Adams also, a big recruit, from the same school, Springfield.
My thoughts on Kneese were, he was the right goalie for that era
of PSU lacrosse, faster, higher scoring, Kneese was able to make
the spectacular save at the right time.
It looked to me as Tambroni was looking to the future and even
giving a preview of what PSU would look like post Ament with Aleric Fyock, himself a high rated goalie, at goal.
I thought Penn State had a good shot at Caleb Fyock but with Fracyon, that wasn’t going to happen.

Post by 1766 »

I wouldn't be shocked if the one going to OSU has an unremarkable career there, comparable to his ranking.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fascinating spin in Jason Knoxs transfer. Completely absurd and untrue but had to come up with some story that didn’t sound awful I guess.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lacrosse Bucket, pre season,

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

Asgot

Post by Asgot »

bananas wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:35 pm Have to factor all when assessing goalies and defenses. Quality of opponent offenses ,number and quality of shots faced, ability to initiate off saves, communication . Fair to say that Kirst is a top five goalie . He faced good opponents and many shots , the defense in front of him while good was not Terp quality and his passing ability jumpstarted our offense.

Clear tie in between faceoffs and defense. Defenses and goalies are at a distinct disadvantage in a game when faceoffs below 35% and offenses at a advantage if faceoffs over 65%. Lehigh at 80% and ND at 62% and Georgetown at 57% means fewer possessions and less opportunities for opponent and vice versa for their offenses

Maryland at 47% and Knights at a paltry 39% dont tell tell whole story. Some ooc fogos with high % padded against weaker fogos , A fogo below 50 % is as good as their ability to hold above 40% agaisnt the better ones . DuGenio went 56% agaisnt UNC duo . Terps more than held their own against Duke and UVA

Will add that better fogos also initiate some offense off wins , does anyone know Dugenio had 3 goals and 7 assists and 7 caused turnovers?

.Look for DuGenio to improve in his 2nd year and Stephan to be a big help giving Rutgers and b10 another good duo .
Unfortunately, it looks like Stephan will not be that much help as our fogo's struggled against Monmouth without Dugenio. I heard that Ott is fully healthy. fortunately, he will be a full go next week.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:48 am Lacrosse Bucket, pre season,

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

Does Michigan's performance against Syracuse move them up a spot or two on this list?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

JPAtlantic wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:45 pm

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

Does Michigan's performance against Syracuse move them up a spot or two on this list?
I would put Michigan above Penn State but scrimmages are just scrimmages even if encouraging. Let’s see Michigan be undefeated going into the ND game and see how they do against the Irish and re evaluate
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

Maybe...maybe one spot...but in reality, scrimmages are just that...sessions where teams are trying to work through things. Each team has different things going on and could be in a different place in terms of installs, position battles, guys coming off injury or even guys missing or sitting out pre season but will be available on “real” game 1

Not discounting UM...and we’re really not gonna know the real UM until deep into the season as their OOC schedule is not strong at all...I would not put them ahead of Rutgers or Hopkins at this point in the game...they will get the opportunity to earn it though...and they “might” be very good...but I want to see it with big wins in season before I actually move them up the ladder. Let’s wait until the play ND...then we can evaluate IMO

Again, they may be really good...just want them to prove it vs the big name teams on their schedule. That will take awhile.

And you know what...Hop and RU and all these teams need to do the same...prove it in real games vs high level teams

Maryland is legit. That’s the only thing we know about the big ten 😉
lorin

Post by lorin »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:03 pm

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

I would put Michigan above Penn State but scrimmages are just scrimmages even if encouraging. Let’s see Michigan be undefeated going into the ND game and see how they do against the Irish and re evaluate
Penn State looked good against Army a lot of young good players
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:03 pm

1-Maryland
2-Rutgers
3-Johns Hopkins
4-Penn State
5-Michigan
6-Ohio State

They will be lucky to survive and win against Detroit, the best stay focused.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:21 am Fascinating spin in Jason Knoxs transfer. Completely absurd and untrue but had to come up with some story that didn’t sound awful I guess.
Why was Knox much of a contributor last year?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:21 am Fascinating spin in Jason Knoxs transfer. Completely absurd and untrue but had to come up with some story that didn’t sound awful I guess.
Why was Knox much of a contributor last year?
Not my story to tell other than to say it wasn't health. Phenomenal player with what I hear is a superior younger brother who we had a line on until this summer, borderline pro in Canada before hitting college, but over time it wasn't the right fit is the best I can say. But it had nothing to do with "all the good middies having left".
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:43 pm But it had nothing to do with "all the good middies having left".
I read that line in the article as a (poorly phrased) attempt to say that's why Hobart was down in 2021 — not necessarily why Knox left.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”