InsiderRoll

Re: Christopher Newport University 2021

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:46 pm
JustPassingThrough wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am Heck of alot of talent returning here. Curious who the big time transfer is.
Did some asking around and apparently it is former Atlee graduate and current University of Richmond lacrosse player Andrew Cook. He's the brother of recent 5th year Jack Cook. Anyone who has seen this guy play knows that he is a major addition to the Captains midfield.(Maybe even Attack?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTE7UkIKZg
Is a guy that was a career reserve and scored 2 goals in four years really “Big Time” transfer? I gets it’s from D1, but a back up from a middle tier D1 team shouldn’t be that dramatic of a needle pusher for a D3 team that has legitimate national championship aspirations.
Looks like he did two seasons at Richmond, so he'll have up to three at CNU. Yes, just two goals, but looks like he played in their competitive early season games vs Loyola, UNC, and Towson (vs putting up 'empty' stats in the VMI and Bellarmine routs). But DNPs for the end of season Air Force and High Point games, so who knows.

6'2" 200# is a big middie esp at D3 and he's a kid CNU would have been very happy to get out of HS. Seems like he'll add good depth, but not a piece that would worry Salisbury at this point. Will be interesting to see how the spring plays out.
I would agree it’s a helpful addition and a guy that would have been considered a great D3 recruit coming out of HS. He just still needs to prove that he can be an impactful guy at the college level. CNU is certainly gearing up to make a good run in 2022, their growth has been fun to watch.
This kid Andrew Cook after 2 yrs of competitive D1 lacrosse will be a significant addition to CNU’s program. He’ll jump off the page on a D3 field with his size and experience having competed at the D1 level for 2 years. All the D3 programs w 5th year recruits will dominate the D3 landscape until 5th year eligibility expires. Wish W&L got this kid
Jump off the page? I think you’re seriously overestimating the gap between top tier D-3 and middle tier D-1. Maybe he will be great, but a guy with 2 career goals is hardly a lock to be an All-American caliber transfer. You’ve been around long enough to know better. This kid is a low money D-1 player. W&L should be beating out Richmond for low scholarship level recruits out of high school anyways.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Time will tell, I watched his tape from high school. He looked pretty athletic with size and IQ
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxaholic123

Re: Christopher Newport University

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Mustang Classic should be a lot of fun to watch!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Can anybody suggest where CNU might have a weakness this season. With 8 seniors and 10 5th years along with a transfer you guys are loaded. Thinking CNU could go deep in May
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Jump off the page? I think you’re seriously overestimating the gap between top tier D-3 and middle tier D-1. Maybe he will be great, but a guy with 2 career goals is hardly a lock to be an All-American caliber transfer. You’ve been around long enough to know better. This kid is a low money D-1 player. W&L should be beating out Richmond for low scholarship level recruits out of high school anyways.
I am somewhat familiar with the history of programs like W&L and Roanoke, if this were the 1990's this would be an accurate statement. I am also pretty familiar with the last three recruiting classes and I know a few kids who committed to Richmond. These players were looking at Patriot league, the Academies, some ACC schools. Not one of the players or families I spoke with who had Richmond on the list was also considering W&L. Although there have been very few D3 commitments in the 2023 class, one chose CNU which seems to be the top choice for VA players in D3. I think most D1 players are low scholarship if any. I do not see W&L competing at all with Richmond for these players. This is just from my experience.
smoova

Post by smoova »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:12 am
I am somewhat familiar with the history of programs like W&L and Roanoke, if this were the 1990's this would be an accurate statement. I am also pretty familiar with the last three recruiting classes and I know a few kids who committed to Richmond. These players were looking at Patriot league, the Academies, some ACC schools. Not one of the players or families I spoke with who had Richmond on the list was also considering W&L. Although there have been very few D3 commitments in the 2023 class, one chose CNU which seems to be the top choice for VA players in D3. I think most D1 players are low scholarship if any. I do not see W&L competing at all with Richmond for these players. This is just from my experience.
I appreciate your post because my experience (admittedly limited to the 2022 class that was heavily impacted by COVID) is quite the opposite of yours: I personally know four players who declined interest from mid-level DI schools (like and including Richmond) and committed to 3 NESCACs and W&L. The existence of additional eligibility and the transfer portal were minor factors (but factors nonetheless) in their decision calculus. My view is very limited, so I don't know if this is a new trend or an isolated occurrence.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

smoova wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:52 am
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:12 am
I appreciate your post because my experience (admittedly limited to the 2022 class that was heavily impacted by COVID) is quite the opposite of yours: I personally know four players who declined interest from mid-level DI schools (like and including Richmond) and committed to 3 NESCACs and W&L. The existence of additional eligibility and the transfer portal were minor factors (but factors nonetheless) in their decision calculus. My view is very limited, so I don't know if this is a new trend or an isolated occurrence.
I do know some kids also in the 2022 class who committed to mid level D1 however with the current parity in D1 "mid level" could be a Penn State or Hopkins the way things are headed but I think Richmond has done well v. ACC competition. Monmouth and VT made the tournament I guess they may also be in this category. Players I know that were offered spots and had serious discussions with Mid level D1 schools were not necessarily turning down offers for NESCAC's and W&L, it was a different pool of players in my opinion. The comment that W&L should be beating out Richmond for recruits is what I was responding to from the previous post. I think W&L is a great school. Looking at the 2022 commitments on IL it appears they do not recruit much in the pool of players I am familiar with in Northern Virginia which is surprising. CNU on the other hand seems to do very well in this area. I wonder if it is club relationships, in state tuition, or by design. For Northern VA players, I just do not see W&L and Richmond on the same lists. I do agree with you that most kids should get out of the D1 or bust mentality as there are some excellent D3 lacrosse programs. Looking at the 2023 class I think the kids just learn this later in the process.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Any recaps on the York and Bucknell games today?
CapitanFan

Post by CapitanFan »

Yes. Short version is CNU looked strong in both contests, showed great depth and no glaring weakness. The transfer from UR debated in previous posts was the best athlete on the field and performed well I think going 3/1 G/A v. YC. Word is he is a team player and no ego. He played at Atlee HS (VA public) along with several other teammates and is fitting in well with the program. After last season's final 4 appearance the players are especially emphasizing team over individual to get to the next level. Great buy-in to coaching goals by the players and great team spirit.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

saw them as well, they looked fast and played that way. Took advantage of their offensive opportunities against York, rode very well in the 3rd quarter especially which lead to a couple of goals. this was a very good start for them and they will be a very tough pout all season.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Asgot wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:15 am saw them as well, they looked fast and played that way. Took advantage of their offensive opportunities against York, rode very well in the 3rd quarter especially which lead to a couple of goals. this was a very good start for them and they will be a very tough pout all season.
Had trouble clearing the ball on the 10 man ride.
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Turnandrake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:34 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:15 am saw them as well, they looked fast and played that way. Took advantage of their offensive opportunities against York, rode very well in the 3rd quarter especially which lead to a couple of goals. this was a very good start for them and they will be a very tough pout all season.
Would agree on all the above. 10 man ride will be something for them to work, but if starters were all in I think they would have been able to handle a little better.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Laxisback wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 am
Would agree on all the above. 10 man ride will be something for them to work, but if starters were all in I think they would have been able to handle a little better.
Any unofficial scores?
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

JPAtlantic wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:25 pm
Laxisback wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 am
Any unofficial scores?
6-4 Bucknell I believe played only 2 quarters. Neither team played any starters
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Highlights vs ‘Noke

https://youtu.be/X0t3nnj6UrU
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:46 pm Highlights vs ‘Noke

Not a huge Captains fan, but beautiful facility. And it's always nice seeing Noke getting throttled!
:D
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:35 pm Can anybody suggest where CNU might have a weakness this season. With 8 seniors and 10 5th years along with a transfer you guys are loaded. Thinking CNU could go deep in May
FoGo maybe
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Not a huge Captains fan, but beautiful facility. And it's always nice seeing Noke getting throttled!
Always good to see Roanoke go down.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Wall Ball wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Always good to see Roanoke go down. Zach wouldn’t allow the Captains to lose to his old school

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”