Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:00 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:20 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:09 pm Worth the watch:

https://twitter.com/KevinCate/status/14 ... 1661762562
I kinda like him.
Interesting comment he made...many here have said the civil war was fought over slavery, and he disagrees with that.
He said slavery had nothing to do with the civil war?
What he said was inartful, offhand..."I was taught that Lincoln freed the slaves. I was taught that the Civil War was fought because of slavery...the Civil War didn't start because of slavery. And you know how I know that? Because I was taught to think critically..." I may not have that 100% accurate, but close...

I suspect he meant that it wasn't because of the morality of slavery, but rather over the economics and power (of slavery).

And that's a fair distinction....though easily misunderstood.

https://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectiv ... civil-war/
I used to make that case….in high school. Eventually as I grew up (took a while I know) I came to understood you can’t bifurcate the two.
Yup, all inextricably intertwined... I certainly suspect that he was not saying that slavery wasn't a big factor in the Civil War. Just a matter of whether you put the empPHAsis on the economics or on the morality as why folks were fighting. One could make either argument and not be saying what the Lost Cause folks want to teach instead. And have been teaching for years in many cases.
... the south has been trying to rewrite history since 3PM, April 9th 1865. They have had significant success, they have been allowed to get away with it until the past few decades. It is one of the reasons we have the problems we have today.
My wife’s grandparents still literally call it “the northern aggression” with a straight face. But they seem to be more sore losers than (overt, intentional-most people carry at least a sliver of it unconsciously) racists
Fine line, that.
Often, it's just an 'acceptable', 'polite' or in some cases 'genteel' overlay to the deeper set of assumptions about the proper order.

Signaling common cause with those who are aggressively racist, even if one would deny that if asked...

Of course, it's also used by those who are aggressively racist.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:06 am

I kinda like him.
Interesting comment he made...many here have said the civil war was fought over slavery, and he disagrees with that.
What he said was inartful, offhand..."I was taught that Lincoln freed the slaves. I was taught that the Civil War was fought because of slavery...the Civil War didn't start because of slavery. And you know how I know that? Because I was taught to think critically..." I may not have that 100% accurate, but close...

I suspect he meant that it wasn't because of the morality of slavery, but rather over the economics and power (of slavery).

I used to make that case….in high school. Eventually as I grew up (took a while I know) I came to understood you can’t bifurcate the two.
Yup, all inextricably intertwined... I certainly suspect that he was not saying that slavery wasn't a big factor in the Civil War. Just a matter of whether you put the empPHAsis on the economics or on the morality as why folks were fighting. One could make either argument and not be saying what the Lost Cause folks want to teach instead. And have been teaching for years in many cases.
... the south has been trying to rewrite history since 3PM, April 9th 1865. They have had significant success, they have been allowed to get away with it until the past few decades. It is one of the reasons we have the problems we have today.
My wife’s grandparents still literally call it “the northern aggression” with a straight face. But they seem to be more sore losers than (overt, intentional-most people carry at least a sliver of it unconsciously) racists
Fine line, that.
Often, it's just an 'acceptable', 'polite' or in some cases 'genteel' overlay to the deeper set of assumptions about the proper order.

Signaling common cause with those who are aggressively racist, even if one would deny that if asked...

You know the racket I’ve shared, they (the family) had: founded Furman, printed confederate money out of Charleston (then columbia), grandfather ran the predecessor to Fluor Corp, prior generations owned textile factories in upstate SC. Debutante crap, DAR, etc. Grandfather is a sweetheart, about as chill as can be, he just wants to do yard work at his cabin in the mountains and took around in his 1940 Model A truck and massive train set, it’s the grandmother who grew up child of a pastor in Lynchburg. She’s worse than Cate Blanchetts mom in titanic. Petulant too. Acts like my daughter who just had a meltdown because “brother got to make pancakes and he’s grounded” to the extent it turned my wife into her grandmother with more vitriol.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 am

I kinda like him.

Fine line, that.

You know the racket I’ve shared, they (the family) had: founded Furman, printed confederate money out of Charleston (then columbia), grandfather ran the predecessor to Fluor Corp, prior generations owned textile factories in upstate SC. Debutante crap, DAR, etc. Grandfather is a sweetheart, about as chill as can be, he just wants to do yard work at his cabin in the mountains and took around in his 1940 Model A truck and massive train set, it’s the grandmother who grew up child of a pastor in Lynchburg. She’s worse than Cate Blanchetts mom in titanic. Petulant too. Acts like my daughter who just had a meltdown because “brother got to make pancakes and he’s grounded” to the extent it turned my wife into her grandmother with more vitriol.
Kate Winslet...I was confused by the Cate Blanchett reference, but I get what you're saying...have met plenty of such.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am he grandmother who grew up child of a pastor in Lynchburg
interesting....my father also grew up in Lynchburg, 82. He may very well know the family.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am

I kinda like him.

Fine line, that.

Kate Winslet...I was confused by the Cate Blanchett reference, but I get what you're saying...have met plenty of such.
My bad. What’s a “Cate” amongst us?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am he grandmother who grew up child of a pastor in Lynchburg
interesting....my father also grew up in Lynchburg, 82. He may very well know the family.
They’d be close in age. I forgot her family name but will get it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“ Second world war veteran twice denied absentee ballot under Texas voting law
Kenneth Thompson, 95, must submit a social security or driver’s license number, which wasn’t required in the 1940s.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... o-o-rourke

“ Kenneth Thompson, who served in the US army in Europe, told Click2Houston, a Harris county news outlet, he had voted in every election since he was 21 and even remembered paying a 50-cent poll tax in the 1950s.”.

FFS, guess the Boomers have a lot if respect for their elders. Pathetic, really. Oh, and a driver’s license? For a 95 year old? Un-fnucking-believable.

Those smug, holier than thou d-bags need a good ass kicking. Might help, might not, but would certainly be fun.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just checked and actually while they moved around a bit is was predominantly Norfolk not Lynchburg but would likely be same diocese. Her maiden name was Winslow. Went to Agnes Scott and met wife’s grandfather who was at Ga tech. (Girls are not aesthetically pleasing in general at Tech so many grab ladies from nearby “sister school” AS)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... mine grew up 50 miles or so south of Lynchburg on the Staunton river, near Patrick Henry's home (Red Hill). He would have been 99 yesterday if he were still alive.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:17 pm
... mine grew up 50 miles or so south of Lynchburg on the Staunton river, near Patrick Henry's home (Red Hill). He would have been 99 yesterday if he were still alive.
My Father's dad was a Railway Express agent in downtown Lynchburg. I actually found the home he grew up in when I went to a game at Lynchburg a couple years ago; neat town.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 pm
My Father's dad was a Railway Express agent in downtown Lynchburg. I actually found the home he grew up in when I went to a game at Lynchburg a couple years ago; neat town.
Mine grew up on a farm just south of the Staunton river that my grandfather still lived on up until 25-30 years ago. Would visit a couple times a year when I was growing up. Had relatives living all over the region then. Now everyone is dead or moved away.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:42 am

I kinda like him.

Fine line, that.

17 kids huh FFG? Busy guy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Danville correct? We’ve discussed this before because I have relationships w Carter Bank and American National both based around there

I was just asked by a family that owns 225ac in various contiguous parcels in Halifax Co to help them secure a partner for a senior housing development project…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:42 am

I kinda like him.

Fine line, that.

17 kids huh FFG? Busy guy.
I married into that mess (and a few nice features on a superficial level that money can buy but honestly not worth some of the tradeoffs). I grew up lower class, thought I was middle until I hit Hobart’s campus, in Broome Co Ny.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:06 am Fine line, that.

Can't be too careful. Watch out for the polite ones, they're the most sinister. To be safe, just assume they are all closet racists, unless they agree with you & excessively virtue signal in a convincing way. They're probably just going along to get along.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:06 pm

Can't be too careful. Watch out for the polite ones, they're the most sinister. To be safe, just assume they are all closet racists, unless they agree with you & excessively virtue signal in a convincing way. They're probably just going along to get along.
Particularly the surprisingly nice people at the dog park.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Easier to spot in the summer when you can see their tattoos.
Also requires a careful analysis of the origins of the dog's breed & name.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Easier to spot in the summer when you can see their tattoos.
Also requires a careful analysis of the origins of the dog's breed & name.
Un huh. Old S.

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sure, if someone calls the Civil War, the War of Northern Aggression, I'm fine with making the blanket assumption that they're racist. No argument from me.

Gotta prove to me you're not if you use that phrase.
I'm open to learning otherwise, but you'll be digging out of the hole you dug for yourself with that one.

Or tell me that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery...that's an easy tell too.
Heck, just fly the Confederate flag in the back of your pick-up truck or above your bar.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm
Danville correct? We’ve discussed this before because I have relationships w Carter Bank and American National both based around there

I was just asked by a family that owns 225ac in various contiguous parcels in Halifax Co to help them secure a partner for a senior housing development project…
... Brookneal. Familiar with Danville, not far away.

Return to “POLITICS”