MAAC 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ReturnOfTheWAC

Re: MAAC 2022

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

redfoxalum wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:42 am Basketball is the primary factor that drives the MAAC’s expansion targets. Unlike when they took Monmouth and Quinnipiac from the NEC after losing Loyola to the Patriot League, there aren’t any obvious realistic good targets currently. Fortunately from a MLAX perspective, bringing in St. Bonaventure as an affiliate member allows the conference to field enough teams to maintain the AQ.

Monmouth and Stony Brook to the CAA is unlikely to be the only domino to fall for the MAAC and America East over the next few years.
Ive always felt the MAAC should look at the non football playing NEC schools where basketball and lacrosse are the primary sports.

FDU
Merrimack
Saint Francis Brooklyn
Mount Saint Marys

All schools are very similar in endowment and enrollment to the current MAAC. Expanded footprint(in the case of Merrimack and The Mount) and yes travel might increase a bit but you are preparing yourself incase Marist leaves. Obviously a current MAAC School could just add lacrosse or you can try to find a way to pull Fairfield back but like many have said before I think Fairfield has been looking to leave the MAAC for quite sometime.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 am How long does Pitino stay at Iona?
Iona might have reason for concern during this upcoming cycle. Not sure if Louisville or Pitino would be open to a reunion, but that job is open as of last night. Maryland is already open. Don't think Pitino is going to show Pressler-like loyalty to Iona, but wouldn't rule out him staying longer than most think. The Gaels' ace in the hole is that Pitino likes Westchester. He is also paid very well and is already beating out A10 and AAC programs for recruits. He's not going to leave for just any P5 job.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pressler and Pitino are pretty different in historical character and behavior.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:52 am Ive always felt the MAAC should look at the non football playing NEC schools where basketball and lacrosse are the primary sports.

Merrimack

All schools are very similar in endowment and enrollment to the current MAAC. Expanded footprint(in the case of Merrimack and The Mount) and yes travel might increase a bit but you are preparing yourself incase Marist leaves. Obviously a current MAAC School could just add lacrosse or you can try to find a way to pull Fairfield back but like many have said before I think Fairfield has been looking to leave the MAAC for quite sometime.
Mack does have a football team, and one could certainly argue that Hockey is their "primary" sport.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

While the decision would be out of his hands, Gravante seems to have a lot of loyalty to Hobart and loyalty and influence at MSM though I’m sure BB still drives the bus there.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Merrimack being Augustinian would certainly fit what the MAAC once was but as Gorilla Fan mentioned they have a football team and without a doubt the sole reason they have the athletic department they have and are D1 now is hockey
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Recognizing it for the historically significant Northeast basketball legacy it has and the reality of mid to low level D1 it is now, I don’t understand why they don’t focus on returning some of their former schools to the fold, e.g. LaSalle and Fordham. Those schools left the MAAC or its predecessor ECAC-North for what they thought were greener pastures and have never made it out of the cellars of their current conferences. For all I know they have been approached but have no interest.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am Merrimack being Augustinian would certainly fit what the MAAC once was but as Gorilla Fan mentioned they have a football team and without a doubt the sole reason they have the athletic department they have and are D1 now is hockey
I stand corrected on the football program at Merrimack. Im aware their Hockey program is important to the school. But Hockey is even more niche than lacrosse and Mack plays I believe in HEA with the other premier northeast hockey programs. A move to the MAAC would not effect their hockey conference affiliation like it would effect their football program(see Robert Morris). The Mount was once a member of the MAAC in mens lacrosse only I believe, and if I remember correctly won the MAAC in its last year being part of the conference. Also a Catholic School with a solid basketball program which the MAAC values
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 am
flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am Merrimack being Augustinian would certainly fit what the MAAC once was but as Gorilla Fan mentioned they have a football team and without a doubt the sole reason they have the athletic department they have and are D1 now is hockey
I stand corrected on the football program at Merrimack. Im aware their Hockey program is important to the school. But Hockey is even more niche than lacrosse and Mack plays I believe in HEA with the other premier northeast hockey programs. A move to the MAAC would not effect their hockey conference affiliation like it would effect their football program(see Robert Morris). The Mount was once a member of the MAAC in mens lacrosse only I believe, and if I remember correctly won the MAAC in its last year being part of the conference. Also a Catholic School with a solid basketball program which the MAAC values
Merrimack's BB team has already had success in the NEC and some of their women's programs have too. Can't imagine them leaving it anytime soon. On that topic, I would think when a school joins a conference for all sports, other than hockey which the NEC doesn't have, they must enter into some agreement as to the length of time they stay. I'm not sure of that but it would make sense
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:47 am
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 am
Merrimack's BB team has already had success in the NEC and some of their women's programs have too. Can't imagine them leaving it anytime soon. On that topic, I would think when a school joins a conference for all sports, other than hockey which the NEC doesn't have, they must enter into some agreement as to the length of time they stay. I'm not sure of that but it would make sense
Yes unless the conference otherwise does not have that sport offered that is pretty standard. MAAC basketball is considered better on a national level the NEC basketball.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

The preseason coaches' poll is out, an even harder than usual exercise with so little lacrosse being played over the previous two seasons. Monmouth voted Quinnipiac #1 and they still ended up in 4th, Monmouth thinks much more highly of Quinnipiac than the rest of the conference. Siena is the consensus last place team. St. Bonaventure seems undervalued, would expect them to end up in the top 3.

1. Monmouth 46 (6)
2. Marist 41
3. Manhattan 32
4. Quinnipiac 31 (1)
5. St. Bonaventure 20
6. Canisius 18
7. Siena 8
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Bonnie’s has one of the best goalies in D1 & some decent offensive guys. Odd they’re so low.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I agree w Dobson (and a good backup in Mazur), Jake Rosa, Blumberg and Westley plus a solid veterans or two at close D w size I think they can compete for the title.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Not convinced that Monmouth is better than Marist. I think Marist will be a tough out and a tricky mid-week game for Rutgers early in the season
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Asgot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:09 am Not convinced that Monmouth is better than Marist. I think Marist will be a tough out and a tricky mid-week game for Rutgers early in the season
It may not even be that the coaches think Monmouth is better than Marist - it's just hard to justify ranking Marist highly after they barely practiced and only played 4 games last season. The coaches are really only familiar with their Senior class that had a lot of contributors to a MAAC championship team when they were Freshmen. I was mildly surprised to see them ranked so highly, despite thinking they are the most talented.

The Marist @ Rutgers game on Feb 9 is the first game a MAAC team will play in 2022. I think Marist can be very competitive with Rutgers in 6v6, but am concerned Rutgers may run away with it on the basis of advantages in face offs, ground balls, and transition.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe on the NEC site?
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Anyone know how Marist looked in its scrimmages?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Marist has looked pretty good in their scrimmages. Beat LIU and St. John’s convincingly, beat Albany and Hofstra by more. Took it on the chin from Vermont who is very good. Face offs could be an issue, but other than that they are solid across the board. Attack and LSM are top notch.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”