Maryland 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Seahawk

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by Seahawk »

It’s not the offense that concerns me at the his point. I don’t yet see shut downs in 4th qtr, consistent clearing, I like each player but it doesn’t seem to have jelled yet . Too many goals against compared to prior years. Albany and UNC will tell a tale going into BIG regular season.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terps up 7-2 at half.
Defense looking solid. Offense took a while to get going, but scored a bunch in the 2nd quarter.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Former Terps Alex Tumminello had 4 goals tonight leading Lehigh over Rutgers.

You see a player like Tumminello from Florida as a freshman for Maryland, and you figure it is pretty borderline whether he will get on the field much for the Terps in his career, and don't worry too much about his leaving -- but there he is 13g-2a on the season for Lehigh.
Live Free or Die!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A couple guys to keep an eye on.
2019 and 2020 Terp recruits, out of Bishop Shanahan PA.

You’d think these two would put Shanahan at the top of favorites for PA high school title this year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ive_id=301
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:18 pm A couple guys to keep an eye on.
2019 and 2020 Terp recruits, out of Bishop Shanahan PA.

You’d think these two would put Shanahan at the top of favorites for PA high school title this year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ive_id=301
I've seen Whalen and Goforth play on the club scene here in PA quite a bit. Whalen is definitely underrated as an LSM. Goforth is a fluid athlete. He's tall and is going to fill out once he gets into a college weight training program. Both play football for Shanahan, so they fit Tillman's profile of getting tough, athletic, two-sport kids. Goforth has been around the game his whole life. His older brother is a freshman at Bryant. His father started the Freedom Lacrosse Club that he, Whelan, Colin Miller, and Jake Smith played for. They're also both really good kids. Good students, all of that.

That PA AA group isn't exactly murderer's row. Their conference will be more challenging than anyone they face in the AA group come playoff time in all likelihood. Avon Grove seems to have sustained its performance over the past couple of years. The 3 West Chester high schools have some D1 talent. Unionville has a couple of really good players, including a UVM recruit. Downingtown East will give them a good run, too. They have 3 high-D1 recruits (Cuse, Bucknell, Villanova). But those schools are all in larger classifications for playoff purposes, so it's kind of weird to have all of these different sized schools all mixed into a local conference. It definitely distorts how good Shanahan will likely be once the playoffs start.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

It is nice to see Long doing some scoring. I guess we were thinking he might take over the righty attack position during the Summer, which Dubick is filling so ably. Long might still get there down the road as Dubick is in his final year.
I noticed Kyle Brickerd back out on the field at the end of the Albany game.

Anthony DeMaio is currently 3rd on the Terps in scoring with 17 points (8g-9a) with Dubick (14g-2a) and Fairman (9g-7a) just behind him with 16 points each.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am
It is nice to see Long doing some scoring. I guess we were thinking he might take over the righty attack position during the Summer, which Dubick is filling so ably. Long might still get there down the road as Dubick is in his final year.
I noticed Kyle Brickerd back out on the field at the end of the Albany game.

Anthony DeMaio is currently 3rd on the Terps in scoring with 17 points (8g-9a) with Dubick (14g-2a) and Fairman (9g-7a) just behind him with 16 points each.
We haven't had a player like Long in quite some time. Bryan Cole was the last real "pass first" player I can remember us playing. Connor Cannizzaro might be the closest thing to Long, but Connor looked more for his shot than does Long. I don't know if he fills that role that Dubick does. This past fall, Brickerd ran with the first team at attack, as Dubick was injured for a bit. For as good as this year's team is, next year's team will be scary good.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Another Philly player, who is getting a lot of playing time for the Terps is Matt Rahill from Springside Chesnut Hill Academy. He is rotating in at LSM with Nick Brozowski.

Peyton Bogard hasn't played this season. Perhaps he is red-shirting. He is rumored to be on the transfer portal.

----------
Terp fans will get an opportunity to see 2019 recruit Dylan Pallonetti play for Ward Melville as Ward Melville is scheduled to be part of the 2019 GEICO High School Lacrosse Showcase.
Sat, Apr 27 10 a.m. No. 17 Haverford (Pa.) vs. No. 5 Ward Melville (N.Y.) ESPNU
Sun, Apr 28 Noon Seton Hall Prep (N.J.) vs. No. 5 Ward Melville (N.Y.) ESPN3
https://www.laxrecords.com/2019/03/07/g ... announced/
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I'm at the game...I'll post some score updates for those not watching on BTN2Go on the pay service.

Nice day in CP. Lots of events going on. The women pounded Ohio State. There's a track meet happening. Lots of people tailgating in Lot 1. Nice day but really windy.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Nova's going to need a timeout here soon. 4-0 Terps with 7:27 left in the first.

Danny Dolan has 2 saves already, and Nova is one-and-done on their possessions. The Terps are getting everything they want on offense.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

6-1 Terps at the end of the 1st quarter. If not for a dubious dive call on a Bernhardt goal that led to a Nova EMO, the score would have been worse.

Dolan is locked in today. Has 6 saves already including 2 that were just highway robbery.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Terps are putting on a clinic today in College Park. 11-2 at the half. Wes Janeck wins a face-off...yes, Wes Janeck...and scores with 5 seconds left in the half. Danny Dolan has 9 saves at the half. Maryland's offense is just chewing up Nova's defense. Brett Makar is covering Connor Kirst, who has only scored on an EMO when Makar obviously wasn't covering him. Keegan Khan is being shut out.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Dominant 17-7 win for the Terps. The Terps went way into their bench in the 4th quarter. Danny Dolan had 13 saves. Bubba Fairman had 4 goals and 2 assists. 9 Terps scored goals.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Geppert got time to as LSM and came up with 2 CT’s
O’Connell got time at close Defense. Welding left the game early. He didn’t seem injured
Dolan had a great game. Morris looked good.

Nice to see offense clicking. Long seem’s to be fitting in nicely.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Welding started and played quite a bit. Then O'Connell seemed to take over for him on close. I sort of had the feeling that maybe Welding might have some sort of nagging injury.
I was surprised to see Geppert playing LSM. He played quite a bit there in the 2nd half. Perhaps, the conversion is some sort of project.

Certainly was Bubba's day. He really looked good.

Bernhardt had another of those crease dive penalties, but this time the Terps just kept rolling. Bernhardt made up for it with a bunch of goals.

Chase Cope seemed to be the first offensive reserve on the field, getting some minutes with the 1st and 2nd midfields, in the 2nd half. Nice to see Avanzato back out on the field.

Villanova certainly has a lot of NJ kids. I think there whole attack went to Delbarton.

It was nice be allowed to sit on the sunny side of the stadium. The sun kept me warm on a cool, windy day. They have eliminate lot Z with the construction near Cole, reducing the parking a bit. Things could be tight for Hopkins.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Remember the day of the Hopkins game you have spring football followed by the Ladies game against Hopkins. I hoping the football people leave after their game
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The football game is schedule for Noon, Women's lax at 4:30, Men's lax at 7:30.
So football people should be well gone.
That being said it is Maryland day, which has a lot exhibits and such for families. Maryland day usually brings a lot of people to the campus, but tends to wind down around suppertime.

Yesterday was apparently spring break on campus, so the student union was closed. Lots of construction on campus drive, so it was 1-lane going up the hill. (I guess they do plan at some point to run the purple line down the middle of campus. Sort of reminds me of the song "The railroad runs through the middle of the house")
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”