All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

tech37

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by tech37 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm “ A Boston-area hospital said it will not perform a heart transplant on a patient who refuses to get a Covid-19 vaccination.
DJ Ferguson, 31, was previously prioritized for a heart transplant at Brigham and Women’s hospital, but is no longer eligible as he refuses to get vaccinated, said Ferguson’s family, according to a report by CBS Boston.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 19-vaccine
I hope they sue. Discrimination at it's finest.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:30 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm “ A Boston-area hospital said it will not perform a heart transplant on a patient who refuses to get a Covid-19 vaccination.
DJ Ferguson, 31, was previously prioritized for a heart transplant at Brigham and Women’s hospital, but is no longer eligible as he refuses to get vaccinated, said Ferguson’s family, according to a report by CBS Boston.”

... nope. BW has it as a written policy that applies to all patients.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

EDIT: He can go to Carney Hospital
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Nah, they’re heartless.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
smoova

Post by smoova »

It’s lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 pm

has this been a policy for many other vaccines over the years?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Organ programs have been using these queues from day one when choosing who is where on the line to get organs.

This man is playing "I heard it on the internet" games with his family's life. Two kids, another on the way. Way to go, dude.

I have an NIH paper at the ready. $1,000,000 says that both you and the heart patient can't tell me what injections are involved in a typical organ transplant, how they are made, and what is in them, and how many shots over time are required. Yet he'll take every last one of them without any reservations whatsoever.

My advice to this man: reach out to "some guy on the internet" for his heart transplant. Doctors are sick of your *hit.

Good luck with the lawsuit.

This isn't boilerplate ER triage medical care, Tech....where patients are admitted according to need, vaccines or no. If that's what this was? I'd agree with you 100%.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:26 pm

Yes! For the reasons the doctor gave-----you're immunocompromised after a transplant, and as weak as a sick kitten. A cold can kill you.

Here's one NIH paper about vaccines and transplants from 2003, before "some guy on the internet" replaced MD's.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164225/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... apparently hospitals in Colorado and Ohio have recently disqualified patients for transplant using the same medical reasoning. The American Society of Transplantation strongly recommends that organ recipients and their household members be vaccinated against COVID-19. Most hospitals require it. Not just COVID but relevant vaccinations (including the flu).
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:33 pm ... apparently hospitals in Colorado and Ohio have recently disqualified patients for transplant using the same medical reasoning. The American Society of Transplantation strongly recommends that organ recipients and their household members be vaccinated against COVID-19. Most hospitals require it. Not just COVID but relevant vaccinations (including the flu).
ok, thanks.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Yes! For the reasons the doctor gave-----you're immunocompromised after a transplant, and as weak as a sick kitten. A cold can kill you.

Here's one NIH paper about vaccines and transplants from 2003, before "some guy on the internet" replaced MD's.....

thanks.

but i'm starting to get the feeling that you're discounting the research that people are out there doing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:29 pm

thanks.

but i'm starting to get the feeling that you're discounting the research that people are out there doing.
Which research?
"out there on the internet" ? ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Somebody either doesn’t understand the definition of discrimination or mistakenly believes this to be unjustified which is the key distinction in the definition of the word…in this case the distinction between groups is not unjustified.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Straight class in florida
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I see that Covid vaccine zealotry has raised it's ugly head again.

First of all, we lost my bro-in-law, a victim of lymphoma a few years ago. It was a systemic infection, post bone marrow transplant, not lymphoma that did him in. So I know full well how the immune system is compromised following these kinds of operations. Knowing him well, my b-i-l would have accepted any vaccination updates (and probably did, I would need to ask my sister) that his doctors would have recommended...he was that sort of guy. But that's not the point, is it? The patient in Boston feels/thinks differently.

The Boston hospital my well have a policy but that is based upon recommendation, possibly mandatory requirement, but not law.

“Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off. The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, Covid could kill you,” said Dr Arthur Caplan, the head of medical ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, told CBS Boston.

Hypothetically... If I'm the Covid vaccine-hesitant patient and I'm considering a cost/benefit analysis and understand that anything might kill me, even a common cold, that fact could certainly make me less likely to take the vaccine, not more. Considering the patient's anti-Covid-vaxx justification, in his mind, why do the vaccine when the chances that something common, that I'm not going to be vaccinated against might do me in anyway. He will accept the risk of passing on the vaccine, based on his obviously strong feelings and clear conscience.

“The organs are scarce: we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving.”

No one has a problem with the statement above? Does the Hippocratic Oath need to be mentioned again?

This patient needs timely care and has already been given "prioritized" status (whatever that means at this hospital). Because he doesn't wish to follow the rules, having weighed the risks and his conscience to make a personal healthcare decision, the hospital pulls him out of line in order to give his "prioritized" spot to someone who doesn't share his vaxx-hesitancy and follows the rules. I'm no lawyer of course, but IMO, it seems a case for discrimination could be made.

I hope this guy finds another hospital that will be more tolerant/compromising, considering his needs, and in time.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 am I see that Covid vaccine zealotry has raised it's ugly head again.

First of all, we lost my bro-in-law, a victim of lymphoma a few years ago. It was a systemic infection, post bone marrow transplant, not lymphoma that did him in. So I know full well how the immune system is compromised following these kinds of operations. Knowing him well, my b-i-l would have accepted any vaccination updates (and probably did, I would need to ask my sister) that his doctors would have recommended...he was that sort of guy. But that's not the point, is it? The patient in Boston feels/thinks differently.

The Boston hospital my well have a policy but that is based upon recommendation, possibly mandatory requirement, but not law.

“Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off. The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, Covid could kill you,” said Dr Arthur Caplan, the head of medical ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, told CBS Boston.

Hypothetically... If I'm the Covid vaccine-hesitant patient and I'm considering a cost/benefit analysis and understand that anything might kill me, even a common cold, that fact could certainly make me less likely to take the vaccine, not more. Considering the patient's anti-Covid-vaxx justification, in his mind, why do the vaccine when the chances that something common, that I'm not going to be vaccinated against might do me in anyway. He will accept the risk of passing on the vaccine, based on his obviously strong feelings and clear conscience.

“The organs are scarce: we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving.”

No one has a problem with the statement above? Does the Hippocratic Oath need to be mentioned again?

This patient needs timely care and has already been given "prioritized" status (whatever that means at this hospital). Because he doesn't wish to follow the rules, having weighed the risks and his conscience to make a personal healthcare decision, the hospital pulls him out of line in order to give his "prioritized" spot to someone who doesn't share his vaxx-hesitancy and follows the rules. I'm no lawyer of course, but IMO, it seems a case for discrimination could be made.

I hope this guy finds another hospital that will be more tolerant/compromising, considering his needs, and in time.
The whole business is troubling, of course, and I think we can all feel for the guy at some level. But (serious question, because I don't know) isn't this what hospitals in the transplant business do: make decisions about an exceedingly finite resource being matched with a proper recipient? No drunks or drug addicts allowed. Certainly likely that other medical and personal issues are disqualifying. Not sure how this is different except for the extremely political environment in which all things vaccination are now discussed.

Sorry about your brother-in-law; hope your sister and her family are doing OK.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:15 am
That's too bad. Maybe Neil should go on Rogan's program... he might change his mind.
You might try some research on Young. He contracted polio as a child in rural Canada just before the Salk vaccine was made widely available and one could make the case that this likely informs his view of vaccine use and why he is passionate about it. He still suffers some limited use of his left hand as a result.

Just sayin'

Spotify has apparently chosen Rogan and have begun to remove Young's music from their platform. Too bad.
Last edited by Kismet on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:36 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 am I see that Covid vaccine zealotry has raised it's ugly head again.

The whole business is troubling, of course, and I think we can all feel for the guy at some level. But (serious question, because I don't know) isn't this what hospitals in the transplant business do: make decisions about an exceedingly finite resource being matched with a proper recipient? No drunks or drug addicts allowed. Certainly likely that other medical and personal issues are disqualifying. Not sure how this is different except for the extremely political environment in which all things vaccination are now discussed.

Sorry about your brother-in-law; hope your sister and her family are doing OK.
Thanks sc. Yep, everyone doing well!

What would happen to this guy if he refused the vaccine based on religious grounds? Would/could the hospital still yank him out of line?

Return to “POLITICS”