Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 pm Pretty sure Sopko was strictly an Attack at Bucknell but his skill set lends itself to playing midfield I believe.

Some of the Bucknell guys can be underrated.
Agree. I don’t know much about him, but starting 4 years at bucknell is nothing to sneeze at.
Was watching Matt Gilray in an NLL game the other night and he looked terrific. Thought Sean OBrien would do more for ND last year maybe he was hurt. But Sopkos PT may end up going with the success in the OOC schedule I suspect.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Good to see that Sopko is on the roster, as it appears that he will add depth and experience to the offense. Also, Munro is back for a fifth year, again adding depth and versatility. The staff has lots of options on offense and can swing a number of guys between attack and middie (Trippi, Munro, perhaps Sopko), and have invert threats to add another dimension.

The open question on offense is whether the added depth and talent, and greater experience for returnees, especially Haley and Hess, can replace Carraway's production. Secondly, the upgraded schedule presents a positive challenge. The odd scheduling format from last year (2 BE games, with weak lower tier teams, and the limited OOC schedule) hurt GU against UVA as the did not face the talent and size level of a top 4 team like UVA last year.

All in all things look to be very good going into the season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I am thinking the offense might be a little more mid oriented even w Haley being a feeder to them and that Bundy will be the “Carraway” as a 30% shooter in volume (over 100 shots last year). But some of you follow the program these days much more closely-I’m more beholden to the era that had guys like Merrill and Walid Haaj.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 am I am thinking the offense might be a little more mid oriented even w Haley being a feeder to them and that Bundy will be the “Carraway” as a 30% shooter in volume (over 100 shots last year). But some of you follow the program these days much more closely-I’m more beholden to the era that had guys like Merrill and Walid Haaj.
Based on last seasons stats, I think your analysis makes sense. I'd expect everyone returning will see their shot totals increase. Particularly Watson, who was out half the season. Hess will get more touches. I'd like to see Haley become more of a scoring threat as well.

Player Shots

Carraway, Jake (A) 153
Bundy Jr., Graham (M) 119
McDermott, Declan (M) 88
Petkevich, Nicky (A/M) 71
Watson, Dylan (A) 58
Hess, Dylan (M) 53
Thompson, Peter (M) 29
Haley, TJ (A) 19
Reilly, James (M) 17
Munro, Colin (M) 14
Geddes, Zachary (M) 13
Last edited by rolldodge on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Georgetown looks to be the class of the big east. I think its Final Four or bust for this group
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Looks like Hess will continue to play a hybrid roll:
He concentrated on offense in the fall but will be back to two-way territory in the spring. “He’s the asterisk on the practice plan,” Kevin Warne said. “He’s like a table tennis ball. He goes from one side of the field to the other, from this drill to that drill.”

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -_b2uWwQeI
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Glad to see lacrosse reference embedded in here. Know he’s been working hard to add value for fans for a while here.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

Scrimmage between Gtown, MD and Del @ Maryland has been moved to Friday due to storm over the weekend.
Gtown vs Maryland @ 11am
Gtown vs Delaware @ 12;15ish
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

courtdog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:09 pm Georgetown looks to be the class of the big east. I think its Final Four or bust for this group
I’m glad to finally see GT on the Hopkins schedule. Think the game will be a pretty good early measure for each team.

The two programs have only played twice … both in the playoffs.

That’s pretty remarkable considering GT and Hopkins are a short bus ride apart.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

"As flurries come down in College Park, Maryland men’s lacrosse catch fire at the end of the first half and lead 8-5 against Georgetown at halftime in its first of two scrimmages today."
https://twitter.com/nickywolcott/status ... 2521692168
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Maryland men’s lacrosse takes down Georgetown 10-7 in a quarter-shortened scrimmage.

They’ll scrimmage Delaware after the end of the Hoyas and Blue Hens’ matchup.
https://twitter.com/nickywolcott/status ... OKi10h6TBQ
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Anyone have any information on the Delaware scrimmage?
10-7 loss to Maryland with 5 starters out is pretty encouraging for when Hoyas are at full strength. Granted the Terps may have had similar issues with injuries/covid protocol that I am not aware of but seems was a good effort from Hoyas overall.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Pictures from Georgetown vs Delaware
https://twitter.com/hoyasmlacrosse/stat ... 31048?s=21
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm Anyone have any information on the Delaware scrimmage?
10-7 loss to Maryland with 5 starters out is pretty encouraging for when Hoyas are at full strength. Granted the Terps may have had similar issues with injuries/covid protocol that I am not aware of but seems was a good effort from Hoyas overall.
Who didn’t play? Hopefully nothing serious! Good chance for some younger guys to get some play.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Just as an aside - Kevin Giblin’s son had 5 goals vs Navy today. Great assistant coach at Georgetown, very successful Georgetown Prep HC and now on MSM staff. That group of Washington College players who coached at Georgetown in the late 80s and early 90s were incredible. Giblin, Tutella, Nordberg, Baker and Sowell. Grateful for all of them.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Any insight from yesterdays scrimmage versus UMBC?
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:39 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 pm Pretty sure Sopko was strictly an Attack at Bucknell but his skill set lends itself to playing midfield I believe.

Some of the Bucknell guys can be underrated.
Agree. I don’t know much about him, but starting 4 years at bucknell is nothing to sneeze at.
Was watching Matt Gilray in an NLL game the other night and he looked terrific. Thought Sean OBrien would do more for ND last year maybe he was hurt. But Sopkos PT may end up going with the success in the OOC schedule I suspect.
Matt Gilray is the best HS defender I ever coached against...He never got the national recognition he deserved at Bucknell...but he was a TERROR at Brewster on both sides of the ball...
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:21 am Any insight from yesterdays scrimmage versus UMBC?
My friends son plays for Georgetown and he said it was a lot to a little. Do not believe UMBC scored in the first half.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:36 am
rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:21 am Any insight from yesterdays scrimmage versus UMBC?
My friends son plays for Georgetown and he said it was a lot to a little. Do not believe UMBC scored in the first half.
Thanks!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”