Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

stanley848 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 am
Comeonman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:22 pm Ty Xanders
@tyxanders
@HoyasMLacrosse
senior attackman Dylan Watson has entered the NCAA’s transfer portal as a grad student for 2023, per a source. The lefty from Guelph (Ont.) has 75 career points, posting 23 goals through six 2020 games and 20G/7A last year after returning from an injury in April.
Don’t be surprised if McDermott, Geddes and Mazzone, who will all be four year starters as seniors this coming season, also declare for the portal with the intent of returning to GTown.
Duke or Maryland?
:lol: :lol: Maryland
The 5th-year grad transfer situation presents a remarkable opportunity for these intelligent, talented student athletes.
If you’re playing D1 lacrosse for the love of the game and you want a 2nd degree from Georgetown, then, by all means, stay at Georgetown.
If you already have your Bachelor’s Degree from Georgetown AND you’re playing D1 lacrosse because you’re hungry for a shot at the National Championship, then you go into the portal. Given that option, I would’ve jumped at the chance to “have my cake and eat it too.”
Will be interesting to see what Watson decides. Most importantly, wishing nothing but the best for these guys.
It’s like a do over on lacrosse
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK25 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm That assumes Georgetown can’t win the NCAAs in the next two years. Not saying they are on the short list but that is an assumption that I don’t think the staff or team think is unreasonable. And given the level of talent on this year’s team and the classes coming in I will say again that if the transfer portal boys get into Georgetown grad programs, I believe they stay.
When you see a handful of top graduates in general or from ivies piling into 2-3 programs and you’re also a top player I think it makes movement away from home institution more likely. Even incremental improvement of odds is easily facilitated with this route.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:44 pm
HGK25 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm That assumes Georgetown can’t win the NCAAs in the next two years. Not saying they are on the short list but that is an assumption that I don’t think the staff or team think is unreasonable. And given the level of talent on this year’s team and the classes coming in I will say again that if the transfer portal boys get into Georgetown grad programs, I believe they stay.
When you see a handful of top graduates in general or from ivies piling into 2-3 programs and you’re also a top player I think it makes movement away from home institution more likely. Even incremental improvement of odds is easily facilitated with this route.
I guess it makes the fact that Carraway, Smith and McElroy all stayed for grad school and 5th year at their alma mater that much more impressive for the Hoya program.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK25 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:54 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:44 pm
I guess it makes the fact that Carraway, Smith and McElroy all stayed for grad school and 5th year at their alma mater that much more impressive for the Hoya program.
I mean personally I’d stay with the group I already spent four years with but that doesn’t seem to be the trend or majority.

Conversely there’s a ton of Hobart kids who came back who had other options like Archer so I don’t really think it’s anything that can be called a consistent pattern or trend. Probably depends on how much each kid decided to immerse themselves in the schools they went to.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

My point was that finances can become an unfortunate reality with the grad transfer thing. Maybe you are on a lot of money to a school like Gtown, and then because of Covid, that same school does not have the same scholarship available to you within the 12.6 for your grad year, even if they wish they did. That might be a driving reason to explore elsewhere to see money options, even if you want to stay at your same school in a perfect world.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could be, I’m sure there are a lot of factors.

I found Eric Holden’s situation fascinating. Walked away from a job in hand. Couldn’t go back to Hobart. He’s from Lincoln Sudbury school district so presumably has some resources as that’s an affluent school district. Ended up having multiple injuries so didn’t integrate himself into the team until last few games of reg season for MD but still started to make an impact eventually in the playoffs. They came up short in championship which was his entire reason. Not to suggest he regrets it but it’s a very interesting case study when you put all those pieces together on the “journey map”.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Warne named USILA D1 Mens coach of the year. Very well deserved.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

He's done a great job at Georgetown - congrats!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HooDat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:34 pm He's done a great job at Georgetown - congrats!
Hard to believe he was on the chopping block not too long ago, if it were football they would’ve fired him and would still be struggling. Glad that’s not the case, they’re still very much on the rise.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Hoyas have Maryland and Delaware next weekend. Should be a great test in both scrimmages. Then UMBC scrimmage the following weekend will be a good one and then opening day 2/13 vs Hopkins on Cooper Field.

Hoyas, as IL said have gone from hunter to the hunted. That is spot on as the team returns 10 of 11 starters, has 7 preseason AAs, the number 1 transfer class in country and a great freshman class.

With expectations comes pressure. Hoyas should make a legit FF4 run. Anything less would be a disappointment. I think this team is more than capable of making that Memorial Day Weekend run.

Let’s go Hoyas!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HGK25 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm Hoyas have Maryland and Delaware next weekend. Should be a great test in both scrimmages. Then UMBC scrimmage the following weekend will be a good one and then opening day 2/13 vs Hopkins on Cooper Field.

Hoyas, as IL said have gone from hunter to the hunted. That is spot on as the team returns 10 of 11 starters, has 7 preseason AAs, the number 1 transfer class in country and a great freshman class.

With expectations comes pressure. Hoyas should make a legit FF4 run. Anything less would be a disappointment. I think this team is more than capable of making that Memorial Day Weekend run.

Let’s go Hoyas!
georgetown's schedule this year should give an idea whether the above is warranted. kudos to them. wish they had another acc game, but you can't have everything.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm Hoyas have Maryland and Delaware next weekend. Should be a great test in both scrimmages. Then UMBC scrimmage the following weekend will be a good one and then opening day 2/13 vs Hopkins on Cooper Field.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Kind of amazing how stacked they are on defense. I wonder how they are going to utilize all that talent? Bowen, Smith, Donaldson, and Tominovich are all legit starters. With Bowen, Smith, and Donaldson all past All Americans they would appear to be the starters on paper. I wonder if one of them will get some run at LSM but Mazzone would seem to have that locked up.

Just watched the Virginia/North Carolina playoff game from last year and very excited by what I saw out of Alex Trippi. I think he’s going to give another dimension to the midfield. He’s a very crafty player that should complement the north/south dodging of Bundy and McDermott well. I bet we also see some nice connections between him and Haley.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

Edit: Roster has Trippi listed at attack. Any insight into where guys are being utilized? A lot of depth at attack with transfers. Who is most likely to get run at midfield?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Let’s go Hoyas!
georgetown's schedule this year should give an idea whether the above is warranted. kudos to them. wish they had another acc game, but you can't have everything.
Scrimmage starts at 10 am Maryland vs Georgetown next Saturday
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I’d think Trippi, like Petkovich last year, will play a slash role. With the Hoyas needing more at midfield than attack coming into the year i’d think that is where would see him early on.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:39 am I’d think Trippi, like Petkovich last year, will play a slash role. With the Hoyas needing more at midfield than attack coming into the year i’d think that is where would see him early on.
Agree that he seems to be a good fit for midfield. Wonder why they have him listed at attack? There are other players listed as A/M.

Presuming that Bundy and McDermott run first line, then do you run Trippi with them? Does Hess run first line or does he continue to play both offense and defense?

On attack, presumably Haley and Watson will start and then you need a dodger for that third spot - which Trippi could also fill well. Other options are Morin or Sopko. Do either of them have ability to play midfield? Are there any underclassmen that might be in that mix? Seems like it might take a few games to work out the right combinations.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 pm
HGK25 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:39 am I’d think Trippi, like Petkovich last year, will play a slash role. With the Hoyas needing more at midfield than attack coming into the year i’d think that is where would see him early on.
Agree that he seems to be a good fit for midfield. Wonder why they have him listed at attack? There are other players listed as A/M.

Presuming that Bundy and McDermott run first line, then do you run Trippi with them? Does Hess run first line or does he continue to play both offense and defense?

On attack, presumably Haley and Watson will start and then you need a dodger for that third spot - which Trippi could also fill well. Other options are Morin or Sopko. Do either of them have ability to play midfield? Are there any underclassmen that might be in that mix? Seems like it might take a few games to work out the right combinations.
[/quote

As good as Hess is at two way, I think he has to run 1st middie primarily and Ssdm secondarily. You could be right that trippi as a dodger will play more attack than i thought. Think that will come down to how morin and freshman fit in. Freshman Goldberg i think is going to get a lot of minutes. He and Trippi may swing from attack to middie to keep both on the field.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pretty sure Sopko was strictly an Attack at Bucknell but his skill set lends itself to playing midfield I believe.

Some of the Bucknell guys can be underrated.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 pm Pretty sure Sopko was strictly an Attack at Bucknell but his skill set lends itself to playing midfield I believe.

Some of the Bucknell guys can be underrated.
Agree. I don’t know much about him, but starting 4 years at bucknell is nothing to sneeze at.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:48 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 pm

As good as Hess is at two way, I think he has to run 1st middie primarily and Ssdm secondarily. You could be right that trippi as a dodger will play more attack than i thought. Think that will come down to how morin and freshman fit in. Freshman Goldberg i think is going to get a lot of minutes. He and Trippi may swing from attack to middie to keep both on the field.
Good the hear Goldberg is in the mix.

Agree that you want Hess on first line. Which makes me think you want Trippi at attack. Feels like he was underutilized on second midfield at UNC.

Morin has great size and skill. Just seems strange that he fell off the map at ND.

They may end up doing some non traditional rotations.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Trippi should have a good year. Everyone on the UNC roster stood around and watched Grey w the ball. Good player.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”