The aberration

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

The aberration

Post by DMac »

I know this subject has been beat to death and nothing is going to change, but man o' man, the mlaxer's sticks are just an aberration. The last two games I've gone to I've seen several plays that never should happen in a lacrosse game and it really takes a lot away from/changes the game. Two or three Dmen smothering an O guy, sticks clanging, the O guy rolling on the turf, only to get up with the ball still in his stick. I know it's a new day and a new dawn but it's a sad when a lacrosse player can run through three players while, in essence, carrying the ball like a football player. You wanna make the game safer? FIX THE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm liking the men's game less and less the more "improved" the sick hold sticks become.
Wanna see some pretty stick work that has the flow and motion a lacrosse stick was intended to have? Watch the girls play. Get past the mlax mentality (maybe learn a few of the rules and appreciate what their game is about) and watch that majestic motion the men's game used to have. The wlax game is much a prettier game played by super good good athletes who have mastered their sticks like the men used to have to in days gone by and it's just flat out very nice to watch.
jusreLaxin

Re: The aberration

Post by jusreLaxin »

I think the sticks have gotten less sticky, or have less hold than they did a few years ago. They're wider, and have fewer strings. They do have more hold than the sticks from the 80's for sure, but this is something I hear all the time from my friends that have a daughters :roll: that plays lacrosse...
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I saw two games yesterday and saw many checks that dislodged balls. Personally I think the sticks are fine. I do know a kid who had a season ending injury with the new dive rule. It was banned 20 years ago for a reason, big mistake bringing it back.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Woman's " lacrosse" is a world class BORE...please!!! :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

When was the last time you watched a game, '47? It's come a looooooooooooooong way, baby. I once shared your sentiments (only for about 50 yrs or so), but it's a whole different game with today's sticks and rule changes. The girls run more (mlaxers couldn't keep up with them if they were to play a game against them using their sticks and playing by their rules) pass more, and play much more of a finesse and team game. It's not the same game you remember, believe me.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 am ... I do know a kid who had a season ending injury with the new dive rule. It was banned 20 years ago for a reason, big mistake bringing it back.
I agree 100% about the dive rule. Not only dangerous, but it also seems to me too subjective when a dive is legal or not; this when they implemented the perm shot clock to reduce subjectivity....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am When was the last time you watched a game, '47? It's come a looooooooooooooong way, baby. I once shared your sentiments (only for about 50 yrs or so), but it's a whole different game with today's sticks and rule changes. The girls run more (mlaxers couldn't keep up with them if they were to play a game against them using their sticks and playing by their rules) pass more, and play much more of a finesse and team game. It's not the same game you remember, believe me.
I keep track of attempts vs drops when watching games. Lots of drops when the defender attempts to dislodge the ball. Doesn't show as a cto b/c team that had possession maintains it. Risk reward..... We see what we want to see, sometimes.

The etymology of rules, if that's the appropriate word. Jim Brown famously chested the ball. Dont believe an actual rule, written, was put into place until the Loyola run of the 90's.
Cross checking. When was it added to the rule book? Why? Why is it NOT enforced today? Why?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with the seeing what we want to see sometimes (most of the time), russy, but I'm seeing what I don't want to see. As noted, I've seen way too many plays (not restricted to just this year) where defensemen are hacking away at, and hitting, the Oman's stick and that ball just doesn't come out. Naturally this ends up with a penalty on the Dman, and it's just not right. Yes, you can still make checks that dislodge the ball the but the O is still playing with way too much of an advantage, the sticks need to go back to the 80s sticks and level playing field again (I know that won't happen and it's a shame).
You can bet that crosschecking (which used to be a big no no) is allowed in both w and m lax because of these sticks, which speaks volumes.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

Less Stick Is More! Fix the sticks and the excuse for having a shot clock vanishes.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 am Agree with the seeing what we want to see sometimes (most of the time), russy, but I'm seeing what I don't want to see. As noted, I've seen way too many plays (not restricted to just this year) where defensemen are hacking away at, and hitting, the Oman's stick and that ball just doesn't come out. Naturally this ends up with a penalty on the Dman, and it's just not right. Yes, you can still make checks that dislodge the ball the but the O is still playing with way too much of an advantage, the sticks need to go back to the 80s sticks and level playing field again (I know that won't happen and it's a shame).
You can bet that crosschecking (which used to be a big no no) is allowed in both w and m lax because of these sticks, which speaks volumes.
pickem.......the best defensive player and offensive player. Give the latter a M1, or Barney. Defense can ONLY cross check. Mild thrusting, outwards. You REALLY think the ball will be dislodged?

cross checking is NOT a take away check.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Change the ball. Use a "Greaser" type ball and you'll see a lot more balls on the ground and a more fundamentally sound game.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Never suggested the cross check was/is a take away check, russy, I'm sure it's allowed so the Dman can somewhat contain the Oman with his sick hold stick that gives him such an advantage.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

........and get off my lawn.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Mouthguard? Is that required equipment by rule in NCAA lacrosse? Player close-ups often reveal it hanging half out? Just curious...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta love it, ND-Md game, ND guy drops his stick, no worries though, just bends over and picks it up with the ball still in it. Gotta love that sick hold.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 am I know this subject has been beat to death and nothing is going to change, but man o' man, the mlaxer's sticks are just an aberration. The last two games I've gone to I've seen several plays that never should happen in a lacrosse game and it really takes a lot away from/changes the game. Two or three Dmen smothering an O guy, sticks clanging, the O guy rolling on the turf, only to get up with the ball still in his stick. I know it's a new day and a new dawn but it's a sad when a lacrosse player can run through three players while, in essence, carrying the ball like a football player. You wanna make the game safer? FIX THE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm liking the men's game less and less the more "improved" the sick hold sticks become.
Wanna see some pretty stick work that has the flow and motion a lacrosse stick was intended to have? Watch the girls play. Get past the mlax mentality (maybe learn a few of the rules and appreciate what their game is about) and watch that majestic motion the men's game used to have. The wlax game is much a prettier game played by super good good athletes who have mastered their sticks like the men used to have to in days gone by and it's just flat out very nice to watch.
I will always remember Joe Cowen's 197 points in 30 games with a wood stick :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 am
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am When was the last time you watched a game, '47? It's come a looooooooooooooong way, baby. I once shared your sentiments (only for about 50 yrs or so), but it's a whole different game with today's sticks and rule changes. The girls run more (mlaxers couldn't keep up with them if they were to play a game against them using their sticks and playing by their rules) pass more, and play much more of a finesse and team game. It's not the same game you remember, believe me.
I keep track of attempts vs drops when watching games. Lots of drops when the defender attempts to dislodge the ball. Doesn't show as a cto b/c team that had possession maintains it. Risk reward..... We see what we want to see, sometimes.

The etymology of rules, if that's the appropriate word. Jim Brown famously chested the ball. Dont believe an actual rule, written, was put into place until the Loyola run of the 90's.
Cross checking. When was it added to the rule book? Why? Why is it NOT enforced today? Why?
I believe a rule was enacted in the mid '70's as result of the stall with the ball pressed to the chest. Slow down was ok, but not the pressing the ball to the chest.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

OK.....what about the cross check?

For example, why was the disgusting cross check to the head in last nites Duke vs Utah game only a 1 minute "lock"? (Duke players delibaretly nails him in the head )

The n$aa is a joke. SO is the Reffing community for NOT enforcing these age old rules. Right, the cross check was made illegal, for a reason??????????
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cantrelax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:41 pm Mouthguard? Is that required equipment by rule in NCAA lacrosse? Player close-ups often reveal it hanging half out? Just curious...
Helmet, Face Mask and Mouthpiece
SECTION 20
All competing players shall wear intra-oral mouthpieces of a highly visible
color during play. The mouthpieces must cover all upper-jaw teeth. A clear
mouthpiece may be used if the head coach certifies that it must be clear for a
medical reason.
Clearly the rules states the mouth guard covers all upper jaw teeth
Coaches Certification
SECTION 22
Have been instructed to wear and how to wear mandatory equipment during
the game.
Illegal Equipment—Head Coach’s Request for
Coach is asked if he his team is properly equipped
Official’s Inspection
SECTION 28
c.......Any
other equipment found to be illegal shall be penalized according to Rules
5-10 or 6-6.
d. The official should inspect all of a player’s equipment when asked to inspect
his crosse or any other specific piece of equipment.
When officals do equipment, they are supposed to check all equipment - stick, gloves, shoulder pads....mouth guards(?)
Use of Illegal Equipment
SECTION 5-10. A player may not use equipment that does not conform to
specifications.
A chewed up mouth guard, would not conform to the specifications under Section 20
Illegal Procedure
SECTION 6-6. Any action on the part of players or substitutes of a technical
nature that is not in conformity with the rules and regulations governing the
play of the game shall be termed illegal procedure

v. Failure to wear required mouthpiece (unless it comes out during play).
How do you define "wear"?
Boys Lacrosse Rules Changes - 2018 (Points of Emphasis

6-5-2x. Failure to wear a required mouthpiece properly (unless it comes out during play).
It has to be worn properly....clearly fishing hooking your mouth guard is not good for the player and sure feels like it should be a technical. (My son was called for fish hooking his mouth guard in high school...back in '10.)
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:27 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 am ... I do know a kid who had a season ending injury with the new dive rule. It was banned 20 years ago for a reason, big mistake bringing it back.
I agree 100% about the dive rule. Not only dangerous, but it also seems to me too subjective when a dive is legal or not; this when they implemented the perm shot clock to reduce subjectivity....

Men's Lacrosse Rules Committee

Composition: Nine members including a nonvoting secretary-rules editor. Four members from Division I (including each subdivision of Division I in which a substantial number of schools sponsor the sport), one member from Division II and three members from Division III. One member shall be elected chair. Quota of 25 percent administrators: 2. Quota of 50 percent coaches: 4. Policy: Each division will adhere to the 50 percent coaches independently.

Liaisons: Andy Supergan

Secretary-Rules Editor: Willie Scroggs (Sep 2014 - Aug 2022)

*Eligible for reappointment
Division Title Name & Institution Conference Term
Expiration
FBS Head Coach Lars Tiffany
University of Virginia Atlantic Coast Conference AUG 2021
FCS Head Men's Lacrosse Coach Jonathan Basti
Sacred Heart University Northeast Conference AUG 2020
FCS Head Men's Lacrosse Coach Michael Murphy
University of Pennsylvania The Ivy League AUG 2022
DI Deputy Director of Athletics Jay Artinian
Hofstra University Colonial Athletic Association AUG 2019*
II Head Coach Men's Lacrosse Vince Smith