Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Laxfan500 »

user1020 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:41 am I’ve never watched her play and I’m sure she’s a great player, but I cannot understand Watson being a first team All-American. Also is interesting to see CW make the list
So…..Hall? Not even HM…they won a Natty? And not on Lax Mags list either . Why do you think this is ??
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Hall is a great goalie and played great down the stretch, but I will say there are several other goalies that had much better seasons (minus the National Championship though, which accounts for a lot, especially with how she played)
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:05 am Sorry I left the conversation. ET is the best player and biggest contributor on Cuse IMO. Lit it up on offense when moved to attack late in season just like the other Cuse attackers but impacts the game on both ends of the field. Her draw circle play is a huge differentiator. Championship Game ended when she got her second yellow card. BC dominated the draw after that.
I definitely appreciate this perspective. I was very impressed with how seamlessly Emma stepped up when Carney went down, offensively as well as finding her niche on the draw circle. She has quite the skillset; I'm really excited to see what she does this year.
Bart

Post by Bart »

may as well put this here, poached from the mens side: https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/n ... ball-money

A very interesting read on the NCAA and Division I. How it would impact non revenue sports is fairly obvious, especially at the smaller D1 lacrosse supporting schools.

Giddy up........
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Very interesting.

It’s always seemed to me that some of the lower tier D1 women’s programs would do better in D2. More opportunity for post season play. More balanced competition. I don’t know anything about the financial piece though.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

lax410 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:16 am Very interesting.

It’s always seemed to me that some of the lower tier D1 women’s programs would do better in D2. More opportunity for post season play. More balanced competition. I don’t know anything about the financial piece though.
I might be misinterpreting this, but I'd strongly disagree with the idea that the competition is more balanced at the D2 level. The gap between the top teams and the rest of the division is vast.

Or do you mean that the competition between lower tier D1 schools and top D2 schools would be more balanced?
lax410

Post by lax410 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:44 pm
lax410 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:16 am Very interesting.

I might be misinterpreting this, but I'd strongly disagree with the idea that the competition is more balanced at the D2 level. The gap between the top teams and the rest of the division is vast.

Or do you mean that the competition between lower tier D1 schools and top D2 schools would be more balanced?
Yes I meant adding some of the lower tier D1 programs might bring more balance and competition to D2. Totally recognize your point about D2.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Univ of Hartford wlax team is going from D1 to D3 so we will see how that goes. Not sure how they will compete against NESCAC and some of the Centennial Conf teams
lax410

Post by lax410 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:42 am Univ of Hartford wlax team is going from D1 to D3 so we will see how that goes. Not sure how they will compete against NESCAC and some of the Centennial Conf teams
My guess is they will not compete very well. I’ve seen many girls that choose NESCAC or CC teams over schools like UofH. Both for academics and quality of play.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:42 am Univ of Hartford wlax team is going from D1 to D3 so we will see how that goes. Not sure how they will compete against NESCAC and some of the Centennial Conf teams
They have won 2 games in the last 5 years..They'll be a .500 win team max. atleast initially.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Can someone explain the Olivia Dirks hype train? How does she become a Tewaaraton top 10 per IL, a first team AA per USA Lax simply because she transferred to UNC? I know she was good at Penn State but she put up good (not great) numbers on a relatively weak team. She's played about 3 games against true top 10 teams in her career. NU twice in 2020-21 and Loyola in 2019-20. Not to say she won't be great but it seems like a lot of hype for a player that hasn't really earned it yet. If she hadn't transferred would she still be getting all this? Is she that good?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hsllax wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm Can someone explain the Olivia Dirks hype train? How does she become a Tewaaraton top 10 per IL, a first team AA per USA Lax simply because she transferred to UNC? I know she was good at Penn State but she put up good (not great) numbers on a relatively weak team. She's played about 3 games against true top 10 teams in her career. NU twice in 2020-21 and Loyola in 2019-20. Not to say she won't be great but it seems like a lot of hype for a player that hasn't really earned it yet. If she hadn't transferred would she still be getting all this? Is she that good?
you got me....That Loyola game she had 0G 0A 9DC 2GB 1TO 1CT....not a first team AA in my book.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:36 pm
hsllax wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm Can someone explain the Olivia Dirks hype train? How does she become a Tewaaraton top 10 per IL, a first team AA per USA Lax simply because she transferred to UNC? I know she was good at Penn State but she put up good (not great) numbers on a relatively weak team. She's played about 3 games against true top 10 teams in her career. NU twice in 2020-21 and Loyola in 2019-20. Not to say she won't be great but it seems like a lot of hype for a player that hasn't really earned it yet. If she hadn't transferred would she still be getting all this? Is she that good?
you got me....That Loyola game she had 0G 0A 9DC 2GB 1TO 1CT....not a first team AA in my book.
Not sure, haven't watched her closely enough. I'll admit I didn't catch too many B1G games last year at all. The few times I have seen her over the past 2 seasons I thought she hustled in the midfield, something that doesn't always show up in the stat book. For whatever reason she was called in to train with the senior national team before transferring to UNC, so there must be something the coaching staff sees.

As for the ILWomen stuff, I just don't think much of it. Do I wish some of the content was better researched and more thought out? Yeah, but it is what it is.

Doc, I'm guessing (from looking at the stats) that D was taking a fair number of draws against her that game, has she ever said anything to you about playing against her?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Answer is we will find out for sure this year whether hype is justified or not.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Only time I’ve watched a full game with her playing was in the BIG10 tourney vs Hopkins. She was the best player for PSU that day and the best midfielder from both teams (arguably best player on the field that night too). She definitely worked harder than most people. Good player, hard worker, but I agree - she hasn’t shown 1st team AA caliber yet.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

user1020 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:43 pm Only time I’ve watched a full game with her playing was in the BIG10 tourney vs Hopkins. She was the best player for PSU that day and the best midfielder from both teams (arguably best player on the field that night too). She definitely worked harder than most people. Good player, hard worker, but I agree - she hasn’t shown 1st team AA caliber yet.
I have a question for you : why are NU and BC playing indoors first game in February when both are outdoor teams ….it’s a noon game so it’s not for the lights ? If there’s no snow on the ground why wouldn’t they go outside …..crazy . And no spectators .
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

user1020 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:43 pm Only time I’ve watched a full game with her playing was in the BIG10 tourney vs Hopkins. She was the best player for PSU that day and the best midfielder from both teams (arguably best player on the field that night too). She definitely worked harder than most people. Good player, hard worker, but I agree - she hasn’t shown 1st team AA caliber yet.
The Maryland game aswell..single handidly beat maryland by herself. We'll see how she fits in at UNC (my guess is she'll do well) but she's very talented
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

With BC’s first couple of home games in the fieldhouse listed as “closed to public”, I’m starting to wonder if the first contest vs Northwestern will be broadcast.

I have to think that Syracuse’s home opener vs Stanford (the other marquee matchup of First Weekend) will be televised/streamed. I hope so anyway.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:18 pm
I have a question for you : why are NU and BC playing indoors first game in February when both are outdoor teams ….it’s a noon game so it’s not for the lights ? If there’s no snow on the ground why wouldn’t they go outside …..crazy . And no spectators .
I hear ya. How about another question: Why does a spring sport have an opening day game is early February?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:18 pm I have a question for you : why are NU and BC playing indoors first game in February when both are outdoor teams ….it’s a noon game so it’s not for the lights ? If there’s no snow on the ground why wouldn’t they go outside …..crazy . And no spectators .
I think it’s as simple as it’s too cold outside. Why play outside in brutal cold when you can play indoors? Now, I much more enjoy outdoor games but the trend in modern sports is to avoid extreme conditions if possible. I wonder how the ladies feel—would they prefer to play indoors when it’s cold or are they indifferent?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”