Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Badlands

Re: Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

Post by Badlands »

I just noticed that Florida beat High Point only by one, 16-15. Anyone see that one?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm I just noticed that Florida beat High Point only by one, 16-15. Anyone see that one?
Didn’t see it. But it is available for replay in its entirety on ESPN+. From the box score, it looks like HP had a 1 goal lead with under 4 minutes left before Ronbeck scored and then set up Kavanagh for the game-winner in less than a minute. Multiple lead changes throughout.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I picked HP only because I wanted to disagree with Doc Tact!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm I just noticed that Florida beat High Point only by one, 16-15. Anyone see that one?
Very close, exciting game. High Point was actually up 10-8 at the half, and I think the game was tied 9 or 10 times. This was also a very physical game. I think each team had a player carded out and there were multiple yellows on each side as well as a red card for HPU. I saw another thread talking about the rules against using a horizontal stick on defense and how it is rarely called.. this game is full of excellent examples of such non-calls with only the most egregious getting whistled.

I'm not sure if the Gators came into the game in complacent, but they looked sloppy in the first half with double digit turnovers and poor shot choices. Slides on defense looked half a step behind the play and a few times there was no slide at all.. cutters were wide open as defenders were caught ball watching. One of their best defenders, Cara Trombetta, was carded out in the end of the first half, but the game had already been close before she exited the game.

High Point is a team that hustles and scraps. I think Florida is used to being much more physical and aggressive than most of their opponents but they were evenly matched against High Point. I was impressed with some of their ball movement on offense and with their speed. They played a high pressure zone-type defense that worked well against Florida. High Point had a player awarded a straight red card late in the second half for a rough cross check.

I think High Point has been flying under the radar for some people.. they only lost to UNC by 4 last year and lost to JMU by 2 while beating Notre Dame and Duke. I could be wrong, but I just don't think the Gators were expecting it to be much of a game, but they were able to eek out the win.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 pm I picked HP only because I wanted to disagree with Doc Tact!
Well, they should have won....that would have made my picks even that more rotten...And I thought you were my friend :cry:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Loyola and UVA tonight in Charlottesville (7:00 on ACC Net).

Doc, should I even ask?
wlaxnut

Wed March 13th—Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

Post by wlaxnut »

- Penn at Maryland 5 PM BTN Plus
- High Point at Johns Hopkins 6 PM Hop TV
- Loyola at Virginia 7 PM ACC Network on Watch ESPN
- Syracuse at Florida 7 PM YouTube

Some interesting matchups between the conferences today. All ranked teams on the coaches poll.
Badlands

Re: Wed March 13th—Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 am - Penn at Maryland 5 PM BTN Plus

Some interesting matchups between the conferences today. All ranked teams on the coaches poll.
Terps by 7-10
HP by 1-2
Hounds by 3-5
Cuse by 7-10
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 pm
Very close, exciting game. High Point was actually up 10-8 at the half, and I think the game was tied 9 or 10 times. This was also a very physical game. I think each team had a player carded out and there were multiple yellows on each side as well as a red card for HPU. I saw another thread talking about the rules against using a horizontal stick on defense and how it is rarely called.. this game is full of excellent examples of such non-calls with only the most egregious getting whistled.

I'm not sure if the Gators came into the game in complacent, but they looked sloppy in the first half with double digit turnovers and poor shot choices. Slides on defense looked half a step behind the play and a few times there was no slide at all.. cutters were wide open as defenders were caught ball watching. One of their best defenders, Cara Trombetta, was carded out in the end of the first half, but the game had already been close before she exited the game.

High Point is a team that hustles and scraps. I think Florida is used to being much more physical and aggressive than most of their opponents but they were evenly matched against High Point. I was impressed with some of their ball movement on offense and with their speed. They played a high pressure zone-type defense that worked well against Florida. High Point had a player awarded a straight red card late in the second half for a rough cross check.

I think High Point has been flying under the radar for some people.. they only lost to UNC by 4 last year and lost to JMU by 2 while beating Notre Dame and Duke. I could be wrong, but I just don't think the Gators were expecting it to be much of a game, but they were able to eek out the win.
Thanks to your great summation of this game, I looked it up on ESPN plus and began watching it. Looking forward to finishing the rest when I get home from work. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the broadcast. The field mics could have been better, but everything else was fine – camera work (including replays, and multiple camera angles). The announcer did a decent job, as well.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 am

Terps by 7-10
HP by 1-2
Hounds by 3-5
Cuse by 7-10
I’ll pick:

Terps by 1-3
Johns Hopkins by 1
Virginia by 3-5
Orange by 1-2
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 am Loyola and UVA tonight in Charlottesville (7:00 on ACC Net).

Doc, should I even ask?
I will be travelling down to C'ville today to watch this game....Only thing I know for sure, Gusburger at the Spot....Last year's game was exciting and I expect the same....
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Terps by 7-10
HP by 1-2
Cuse by 7-10
Terps by 5
HP by 2
Cuse by 6
Badlands

The Season 2019

Post by Badlands »

Speaking of Florida, has anyone been watching the Season19? It's a multi-part documentary presented by Inside Lacrosse and STA. This season it features Cornell men and Florida lax. It was great last year but featured only 4 mens programs. I'm glad they had the sense to include a women's program this year. I watched the first episode of this year and it was excellent. Superbly narrated by Kyle Harrison, who is one of the really nice guys in the game.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2019/53556
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am

Terps by 7-10
HP by 1-2
Cuse by 7-10
Terps by 5
HP by 2
Cuse by 6
Terps by 5
JHU by 1
Cuse by 2
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 pm
This was also a very physical game. I think each team had a player carded out and there were multiple yellows on each side as well as a red card for HPU. I saw another thread talking about the rules against using a horizontal stick on defense and how it is rarely called.. this game is full of excellent examples of such non-calls with only the most egregious getting whistled.

High Point had a player awarded a straight red card late in the second half for a rough cross check.
I was surprised at how much didn't get called in this game. Very poorly officiated.

https://youtu.be/TfFLgvy7ASI

It's no wonder Valerie Pelling delivered an illegal cross check for a red card after she was repeatedly cross checked by Florida's Kavanagh and Cristodero in front of the referee, who did nothing but get out of the way.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I really don't see much difference between what Pelling did and what the Florida players did to her other than the fact that the Florida player whom she crosschecked was moving toward her faster than she was moving toward the Florida defenders who crosschecked her. Those were all instances of the defender "Initiating stick-to-body contact and using the shaft of the stick to hit, push or displace an opponent," which is illegal. See the other thread I started on this topic. Thanks for making the video because it's a great illustration of this problem that college lacrosse refs are responsible for by choosing to repeatedly ignore these infractions.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"I really don't see much difference between what Pelling did and what the Florida players did to her other than the fact that the Florida player whom she crosschecked was moving toward her faster than she was moving toward the Florida defenders who crosschecked her."

I don't see any difference between what Pelling did and what routinely happens all the time -- and is called a foul -- in every college game I watch these days. Jeez.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Saturday:

12:00 PM #17 Georgetown vs. #1 Boston College (W Lacrosse) accextra

12:00 PM #14 Duke vs. #6 Pennsylvania (W Lacrosse) espn+

12:00 PM #19 Notre Dame vs. #5 Virginia (W Lacrosse) accextra

12:00 PM Maryland vs. The OSU BTN

12:00 Penn State vs. Michigan BTN

1:00 PM Loyola vs. Army Dunno?

1:00 PM UNC vs. Florida Youtube???

Sunday:

12:00 PM #4 Syracuse vs. Louisville (W Lacrosse) accextra

12:00 PM #13 Denver vs. Virginia Tech (W Lacrosse) accextra
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 am Saturday:

1:00 PM Loyola vs. Army Dunno?

1:00 PM UNC vs. Florida Youtube???
Loyola/Army - Patriot League Network on Stadium

UNC at Florida - Yep—YouTube. The Gators stream their home games on YouTube. They’re not bad overall.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

So...

Georgetown-BC -- BC by a bundle

Duke -Penn -- Penn by a bundle

Notre Dame - UVA -- UVA in a squeaker; this'll be UND's first game of any consequence.

Maryland - The OSU -- Terps with running clock at some point

PSU - Michigan -- We Are in a revenge-filled squeaker

Loyola - Army -- Loyola rebounds from UVA loss

UNC - Florida -- UNC easily, maybe 6 or 7 goal margin

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”