All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: All Things Environment

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Interesting development that might lead to very fast EV recharging...

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/release ... esign.html
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Got kidney stones…yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... dney-stone

“ Rising temperatures due to the climate crisis will lead to a rise in people suffering from kidney stones – a painful medical condition exacerbated by heat and dehydration, according to a new study.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:05 pm Got kidney stones…yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... dney-stone

“ Rising temperatures due to the climate crisis will lead to a rise in people suffering from kidney stones – a painful medical condition exacerbated by heat and dehydration, according to a new study.”
Easy answer... drink plenty of water and you limit your chance of being dehydrated. FTR is there any malady in existence that can't be blamed on GW/CC? That seems to be the " go to" explanation for the environmental circus.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:38 pm Interesting development that might lead to very fast EV recharging...

High voltage in a cable in the hands of the average electric car owner, what could possibly go wrong there? What happens to the first electric car owner plugging his car in with his/her feet in a puddle of water? My guess is these car owners are way more smarter than the average owner of a vehicle with internal combustion. There is a reason why high voltage creates excess heat. It is the nature of the beast. I sure hope these folks educate their potential customers to the possible electrocution hazard.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:38 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:38 pm Interesting development that might lead to very fast EV recharging...

High voltage in a cable in the hands of the average electric car owner, what could possibly go wrong there? What happens to the first electric car owner plugging his car in with his/her feet in a puddle of water? My guess is these car owners are way more smarter than the average owner of a vehicle with internal combustion. There is a reason why high voltage creates excess heat. It is the nature of the beast. I sure hope these folks educate their potential customers to the possible electrocution hazard.
The unintended consequences of all this electrical potential just hanging by a charging cord is indeed concerning. Yes, we know safeties are built in, but common sense is also not so common. Talk about OSHA....this would be a great place for them to insert themselves as this technology advances. And if you own an EV you should be required to get OSHA 10 certified, focusing on the hazards of electricity.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Observational and theoretical evidence that "panspermia" could be a real mechanism for transporting life between planetary bodies in space.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:55 am Observational and theoretical evidence that "panspermia" could be a real mechanism for transporting life between planetary bodies in space.
So you agree with Genesis 2:7 now. Nice to see you coming around jhu.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:roll:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

A 21st-Century Reinvention Of The Electric Grid Is Crucial For Solving The Climate Change Crisis
Many analysts believe the U.S. can cost-effectively and reliably operate a power grid with 80% to 90% clean electricity, but decarbonizing the last 10% to 20% will be notably more challenging. While short-duration storage, lasting four hours or less, is becoming ubiquitous, we will likely need to provide power during some periods when wind and solar resources are at low levels (what the Germans call dunkelflaute, or “dark doldrums”). An expanded national transmission network will help, but some amount of long-duration storage will likely be needed.

Numerous options are being explored, including alternative battery technologies and green hydrogen.

Flow batteries are among the promising approaches that we are working on at the Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute at the University of Colorado. In a typical design, liquid electrolyte flows between two storage tanks separated by a membrane. The tanks can be scaled up in size corresponding to the desired storage duration.

Green hydrogen is a potential storage option for very long durations. It is produced by splitting water molecules with an electrolyzer powered by renewable electricity. The hydrogen can be stored underground (or in above-ground tanks) and either burned in combustion turbines or converted back to electricity in fuel cells. Green hydrogen is currently very expensive but is expected to become more affordable as the cost of electrolyzers decreases.

In addition, new business, market design and grid operator models are emerging. Community solar gardens, for example, allow homeowners to purchase locally produced solar electricity even if their own roofs are not suitable for solar panels. Microgrids are another business model becoming common on campuses and complexes that produce electricity locally and can continue to operate if the grid goes down. Clean microgrids are powered by renewable energy and batteries.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:14 am A 21st-Century Reinvention Of The Electric Grid Is Crucial For Solving The Climate Change Crisis
Many analysts believe the U.S. can cost-effectively and reliably operate a power grid with 80% to 90% clean electricity, but decarbonizing the last 10% to 20% will be notably more challenging. While short-duration storage, lasting four hours or less, is becoming ubiquitous, we will likely need to provide power during some periods when wind and solar resources are at low levels (what the Germans call dunkelflaute, or “dark doldrums”). An expanded national transmission network will help, but some amount of long-duration storage will likely be needed.

Numerous options are being explored, including alternative battery technologies and green hydrogen.

Flow batteries are among the promising approaches that we are working on at the Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute at the University of Colorado. In a typical design, liquid electrolyte flows between two storage tanks separated by a membrane. The tanks can be scaled up in size corresponding to the desired storage duration.

Green hydrogen is a potential storage option for very long durations. It is produced by splitting water molecules with an electrolyzer powered by renewable electricity. The hydrogen can be stored underground (or in above-ground tanks) and either burned in combustion turbines or converted back to electricity in fuel cells. Green hydrogen is currently very expensive but is expected to become more affordable as the cost of electrolyzers decreases.

In addition, new business, market design and grid operator models are emerging. Community solar gardens, for example, allow homeowners to purchase locally produced solar electricity even if their own roofs are not suitable for solar panels. Microgrids are another business model becoming common on campuses and complexes that produce electricity locally and can continue to operate if the grid goes down. Clean microgrids are powered by renewable energy and batteries.
To qoute fatty... What is our climate changing to? Why are all them rich FLP folks buying up all that ocean front property? They have to know that in a couple thousand years with melting icebergs they may lose a couple hundred yards of beach front.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

1500 mile EV, with new battery design? https://www.autoevolution.com/news/brea ... SonKT7a3Z4
~Livy

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Tejas and Exxon are a cancer on the body politic and need to be excised.

“ Exxon claims in a petition to the Texas supreme court that it is entitled to question the officials in order to collect evidence of “potential violations of ExxonMobil’s rights in Texas to exercise its first amendment privileges” to say what it likes about climate science.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-crimes
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:41 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:55 am Observational and theoretical evidence that "panspermia" could be a real mechanism for transporting life between planetary bodies in space.
"Climate Change" is the pagan religion of the left. Rather than sacrifice a virgin they would rather sacrifice our standard of living. I know very few Christian environmentalists. Most are radical Atheists, with an open hostility towards religion. Unlike Christianity and other religions, it 's adherents believe they can actually control their own "god" through their actions.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm 1500 mile EV, with new battery design? https://www.autoevolution.com/news/brea ... SonKT7a3Z4
Not possible. You forgot that Old Salt and others told us that EV technology is stupid, and won't work.

We should quit trying, and go back to coal powered cars.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

get it to x wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:36 pm
"Climate Change" is the pagan religion of the left. Rather than sacrifice a virgin they would rather sacrifice our standard of living. I know very few Christian environmentalists. Most are radical Atheists, with an open hostility towards religion. Unlike Christianity and other religions, it 's adherents believe they can actually control their own "god" through their actions.
My early years in the civil engineering world had me dealing with various state and county level Soil Conservation District issues and those staff members told me the biggest violators of soil erosion best management practices were the Amish farmers. These religious wackos claimed religious exemptions and that they were working their gods creation as god instructed them to do so. No regard for stream buffers, water quality, of the watershed. Their god given right to screw their and the down stream "commons" as they see fit.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:50 pm
My early years in the civil engineering world had me dealing with various state and county level Soil Conservation District issues and those staff members told me the biggest violators of soil erosion best management practices were the Amish farmers. These religious wackos claimed religious exemptions and that they were working their gods creation as god instructed them to do so. No regard for stream buffers, water quality, of the watershed. Their god given right to screw their and the down stream "commons" as they see fit.
You just proved my point.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:50 pm
You should take a look at their dog farms:

I guess they are some of the original "dominionists". I guess I am one of those dratted "pagans"...

Return to “POLITICS”